Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

Bad ROM?

Some guy was emulating the game and came into tons of glitches. And he also had a special stage issue where he got stuck.

No, the ROM seems to be ok, but yeah, glitches occur sometimes. However, it was the only serious glitch, but after i had recopied the ROM on my flashcard, it disappeared.

Ideally a portable version of the original Sonic games would be ideal. I'm still holding out for that fabulous Anniversary remake I've often dreamed of which combines the three/four original games into one long story with new sprites and textures phasing each new zone into the next with remixed music and level designs: Complete the Sonic 1 chapter and unlock Tails; complete the Sonic 3 chapter and unlock Knuckles. Play as any character in any stage and switch characters between acts plus the ability to team-up any two and switch on the fly; two player drop-in-and-out co-op play. The more you play the more Sonic Points (SP) you unlock to spend on new art and features. Unlock things like spin dash in the Sonic 1 chapter and new challenge modes such as boss rush and act missions. There are also in-game achievements for reaching certain points or doing certain things, i.e. gather all rings in one act and get the "Ring Collector" achievement (plus bonus SP), turn Super/Hyper in every act at least once and unlock the "Super Addict", complete one act without defeating a single, normal enemy to unlock the "Pacifist" achievement, etc. "Hard Mode" with less rings and more difficult enemies and bosses.

^ At least a remake with some actual additions to the game.

I find it quite funny that I was able to get a Model-1 MegaDrive, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and a pair of really nice headphones for the same amount of money as it would have cost me to buy Classic Collection...

You want a handheld MegaDrive deal that offers decent value for money? Get a load of- get a load of- get a load of THIS!

Ideally a portable version of the original Sonic games would be ideal. I'm still holding out for that fabulous Anniversary remake I've often dreamed of which combines the three/four original games into one long story with new sprites and textures phasing each new zone into the next with remixed music and level designs: Complete the Sonic 1 chapter and unlock Tails; complete the Sonic 3 chapter and unlock Knuckles. Play as any character in any stage and switch characters between acts plus the ability to team-up any two and switch on the fly; two player drop-in-and-out co-op play. The more you play the more Sonic Points (SP) you unlock to spend on new art and features. Unlock things like spin dash in the Sonic 1 chapter and new challenge modes such as boss rush and act missions. There are also in-game achievements for reaching certain points or doing certain things, i.e. gather all rings in one act and get the "Ring Collector" achievement (plus bonus SP), turn Super/Hyper in every act at least once and unlock the "Super Addict", complete one act without defeating a single, normal enemy to unlock the "Pacifist" achievement, etc. "Hard Mode" with less rings and more difficult enemies and bosses.

lol, we think alike. I've been wishing that they would do a Sonic 1 remake with graphics that look like Sonic 4, and then do the same with Sonic 2. And then after that, do a Sonic 3 remake in 2 episodes, Sonic 3 Episode I containing Angel Island to Launch Base, and Sonic 3 Episode II containing Mushroom Hill to Doomsday. And then release Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 Episode I, Sonic 3 Episode II, and Sonic 4 and however many episodes it has on a single disc (like Super Mario Bros. Wii), and that would be epic.

..ehehe too bad that will never happen.

TL;DR

It'll never happen.. sorry... :P

I never said it had too, in my wildest dreams this is something I'd love to see.

I find it quite funny that I was able to get a Model-1 MegaDrive, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles and a pair of really nice headphones for the same amount of money as it would have cost me to buy Classic Collection...

You want a handheld MegaDrive deal that offers decent value for money? Get a load of- get a load of- get a load of THIS!

Aren't all those handheld Mega Drives kinda shit? D: Just like the plug-and-play mini-Mega Drives.

Granted, I've not played that handheld, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the latter.

Also that only has S&K and Spinball in terms of Sonic games, anyway. D:

Edited by Mahzes

I dunno how they fare in other departments, but the sound is apparently utter crap. SCC has near perfect sound- aside from a few sound effect hiccups and the incorrect sub-boss music in S&K, it's top notch.

Slowdowns tick me off a little.

Other than that, Sonic Classic Collection is ace. Glad I won it.

I've even considered a DSi XL just to have this game run full framerate on a bigger screen. That's how much fun I'm having with it...

I've even considered a DSi XL just to have this game run full framerate on a bigger screen. That's how much fun I'm having with it...

Bear in mind that while the screen is larger, it still only supports the same resolution as older models.

You mean the Mega-Drive handheld with unbelievably bad sound quality, and that is only mono to boot?

Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles seem to run fine for everything except that the Special Stage's in latter judder like they want to give me epilepsy. Sonic 1 appears the have the most excessive slowdown in my opinion but I pretty much know the game back to front so I can work with it. Special Stages in both Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 are perfect, Tails delayed reaction and annoying ringloss in the latter is intact.

Also, FINALLY portable Sonic 1 to Knuckles, and FINALLY a decent save system for Sonic 2. Now I might actually have the time to finish it for once...

Another person mentioning Sonic CD.

I can't remember to what extent it's been discussed, but given the soundtrack, would it even have been possible?

Also it probably would have dragged up the OMG SOUNDTRACK WARZ depending on whichever soundtrack was actually included, if they had found a way to put it in.

I can't remember to what extent it's been discussed, but given the soundtrack, would it even have been possible?

Also it probably would have dragged up the OMG SOUNDTRACK WARZ depending on whichever soundtrack was actually included, if they had found a way to put it in.

Isn't the DS capable of playing actual recorded audio? Such as the DS Guitar Hero game.

Well, considering Classic Collection actually uses pre-recorded music from the games rather than synthesising it anyway (like Sonic Jam did), then yes, it'd be possible, but it might need to take up a whole cartridge to fit it all in. The DS can play video too so the animated parts could work, but again the game could possibly need a whole cartridge just to fit.

Yeah, this is my biggest problem with Sonic CD re-releases, half of the people get pissed off that their preferred soundtrack wasn't used and then they harass the other half... (In my opinion both soundtracks are great though the Jap one is a little embarassing with it's vocals, but people should go with the one they grew up with being that these collections are mostly about nostalgia, I'm in the UK but I grew up on the PC version so American OST for me)

They could have gotten the space to put both soundtracks on if they used the same compression techniques that the Guitar Hero games and TWEWY used combined with one of the 256MB cards, but they could never have gotten the Sega CD itself emulated.

Edited by Tornado

Who knows. The point is we have a handheld Sonic 1-3K which is amazing. I don't really mind that we didn't get the others...

I do hope that soon we are given a way of playing Sonic CD on current-gen systems though (without needing a Gamecube controller), like on PSN/XBLA or something.

Yeah, this is my biggest problem with Sonic CD re-releases, half of the people get pissed off that their preferred soundtrack wasn't used and then they harass the other half... (In my opinion both soundtracks are great though the Jap one is a little embarassing with it's vocals, but people should go with the one they grew up with being that these collections are mostly about nostalgia, I'm in the UK but I grew up on the PC version so American OST for me)

I dunno, I grew up with the PC version in the UK and still don't like the US soundtrack. I didn't like it at the time, even when I didn't even know the Japanese soundtrack existed.

I just love throwing that tidbit in people's faces when they say "You're just biased towards the Japanese/ EU one because you grew up with it", because I didn't. :lol: I just find the US one really bland and dull, personally.

As for playing Sonic CD these days, I do have Gems Collection as well as the PC version, but both have the US soundtrack and as such I never play them. What I do now is emulate the Japanese version on my laptop, then hook my laptop up to the TV. Throw in a PlaySEGA USB Saturn pad and it's pretty damn nifty. :)

Personally I find the Japanese soundtrack embarassing. I mean some of the level themes are awesome (though have some really WEIRD sound effects going on in there) but the vocal tracks are sooo tacky and there's this like "hey kids, say no to drugs" sounding vocal thing every time you beat a level. Heheh... But anyway... I'm not calling anybody biased, it's all down to personal taste, what I meant was that if one is playing a game for nostalgia, surely one would want it to resemble what one is has the nostalgia for.

On the subject of Sonic Classic Collection, I seem to be noticing the slowdown a lot more lately... I keep getting tempted to trade it in for Ultimate Collection on the PS3 but I do really like being able to play it handheld... I know it runs better on DSi but I can see a grand total of zero reasons that a DSi would be worth my hard-earned cash, particularly with 3DS announced.

Edited by DistantJ

• 2 weeks later...

I recently played this but gave up after a while due to slowdown reasons. I mean it wasn't HORRIBLE, but I'm sure the DS can do better.

I know it runs better on DSi but I can see a grand total of zero reasons that a DSi would be worth my hard-earned cash, particularly with 3DS announced.

^This^. After seeing the XL in the flesh, I would have at least considered getting one after a while had they not announced the 3DS. The normal DSi is just a waste IMO though.

It also has to be said that, having played it on both systems now, while it does run better on the DSi, it still doesn't particularly run well.

Edited by Tornado