Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

It also has to be said that, having played it on both systems now, while it does run better on the DSi, it still doesn't particularly run well.

Speak for yourself, I think it runs great. S1 is the only game where it was noticeably choppy fairly often. Not gameplay affecting though. It's not like the original hardware at all, but it's for more than adequate.

Did anyone else get the tin? I've rambled on about it before, but hardly anyone's said what they think about it.

It also has to be said that, having played it on both systems now, while it does run better on the DSi, it still doesn't particularly run well.

Depends. A friend of mines DSi has horrible lag while playing it, but mine has like, zero slowdown at all.

I'm not sure what thats all about, I'd note the amount of downloaded stuff he has on his far outnumbers my stuff, but I highly doubt that would influence the speed the game could run at.

Depends. A friend of mines DSi has horrible lag while playing it, but mine has like, zero slowdown at all.

I'm not sure what thats all about, I'd note the amount of downloaded stuff he has on his far outnumbers my stuff, but I highly doubt that would influence the speed the game could run at.

No, it makes sense. SCC supports games, that are bigger than the DS' ram, so it needs some kind of paging system, that constantly loads in and out portions of code and data that the games are currently accessing from the cart. If that happens in the middle of a level, you could see different kinds of glitches and levels of slowdown depending on how fast the data can be read from the cart. Original DS carts surely have the fastest access speed, that's why the original cart runs the games a lot better than if you run them from a flashcart. The access speed for different flashcarts varies wildly and also depends on your SD card, fragmentation, etc. So people who dont own the original cart probably have very individual experiences here, concerning the slowdowns and glitches.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to downloaded games in the DSiWare sense. Not flash card sense.

Speak for yourself, I think it runs great. S1 is the only game where it was noticeably choppy fairly often. Not gameplay affecting though. It's not like the original hardware at all, but it's for more than adequate.

There are a bunch of problems with this statement, but I will sidestep them all and simply say that I am greatly saddened by the fact that the fanbase is seemingly so desperate for a handheld collection that a half-assed (which it is), barely-running homebrew emulator (which, even on the DSi, it pretty much is; and especially is on the DSL) with content-stripped roms (which they are) and a gameplay-breaking menu system (which it has), all for $30 (which it costs), is the definition "far more than adequate;" and I personally find "completely fucking pathetic" or "completely shameless money grab" to be far better descriptors.

Edit: And by all means, let the neg rep come in.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 2

You're saying it doesn't run particularly well, but it does. If you want to talk about other aspects of the collection, well... the menus are slap-bang and lazy, the extras are the same as every other collection (except fewer in number, and even MORE pointless) and stripping the roms to single player only is also lazy. The game cost only £18 at most places when it was released (compared to the usual £35 to £40) so it's a fair deal.

• Thumbs Up 3

You're saying it doesn't run particularly well, but it does.

I must have imagined the slowdown and stuttering then. As did Nathan Speed's friend, apparently. And even when it does run decently, as in no slowdown and/or lag; I don't consider squashed resolution, lack of consistent V-SYNC, incredibly obvious speed hacks and mediocre sound emulation to be the best example of "far more than adequate." It sounds much more like "minimal effort possible," particularly when you know the actual circumstances behind its development.

I've played S3K to death on SCC and hardly ever notice problems. Squashing thee screen also has nothing to do with how well the game runs- it was a design choice. Sound emulation is flawed sometimes (ring loss for example), but for the most part problems just do not exist. Seriously, the game works pretty well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I must have imagined the slowdown and stuttering then. As did Nathan Speed's friend, apparently.

I was right there, comparing mine to his. Mine was quite faster and ran very well, his slowed down a little every now and again, once quite badly, but that was it. It wasn't unplayable at all.

But on MY game, I've encountered VERY little slow down, and only on Spring Yard Zone in Sonic 1.

Nathan: You running in on a DS Lite, or DSi? Were you both playing on the same kind of DS?

I'm starting to think this game is totally random, because personally, I play it on a DS Lite and have noticed very little in the way of frame rate or slowdown issues. And it's not just me 'not noticing them'- I've played these games to death on other consoles as much as the rest of us, and they're actually barely there.

Okay, the framerate isn't perfect, but it's far from bad and nowhere near game-breaking, and I've never run into any slowdown that wasn't in the originals to begin with. And this is on a DS Lite, mind.

Is there no chance this is some kind of US/ EU NTSC/ PAL thing as well, or not (I'd guess not since both Tornado and Nathan are in the US, but still)? Because it just seems totally weird how certain copies of the same game seem to be playing better than others.

Edited by Mahzes

Nathan: You running in on a DS Lite, or DSi? Were you both playing on the same kind of DS?

Both of us used a Black DSi, bought around the same time, with only a month long gap. I got mine around the end of July, he got his around late June.

Yet it ran fine on one and poorly on another? Were you both playing the same copy of the game, or were they each your own? Were they both the same version (US, PAL, what have you)?

It just seems so bizarre that the same game would run totally differently on two identical systems. Yet at the same time, it runs pretty much fine on my DS Lite. What the hell?

Yet it ran fine on one and poorly on another? Were you both playing the same copy of the game, or were they each your own? Were they both the same version (US, PAL, what have you)?

Both different copies, both US version, and they both ran fine, he just had a little more slowdown and a few bumps. We were both playing Sonic 1 (the one with the most slowdown) on Spring Yard. At the worst, his slowdown got to like, where the controls are noticeably slower, but for two seconds, and then at it's best it ran just about perfectly. Mine has gotten almost unnoticeable slowdown, like, three times.

The only game I've had slight problems with so far would be Sonic 2. I've hardly played 1 on it, but 3+K runs almost perfectly. The squashed screen thing can be a little irritating at times though. <_<

I do agree that this collection could have been strung together with at least a little more effort.

Edited by Sinister Swiss

I'm surprised no one ripped the Sonic 3 Act 1 boss music yet, seeing how it sounds better then the original 16bit version.

IIRC, it's not anything new. The reason it sounds better is because it's not being played by the original hardware or being emulated.

IIRC, it's not anything new. The reason it sounds better is because it's not being played by the original hardware or being emulated.

Actually, Sonic Classic Collection runs the games on an emulator. There's a Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DS Slot-1 Flascarts called jEnesisDS. After some time, SEGA hired the guy behind it, which is why we now have Sonic Classic Collection (and why jEnesisDS hasn't been updated since 2008). The music sounds "better" because all the sound you hear are separate files (meaning that SEGA sucks at ripping music).

Actually, Sonic Classic Collection runs the games on an emulator. There's a Genesis/Mega Drive emulator for DS Slot-1 Flascarts called jEnesisDS. After some time, SEGA hired the guy behind it, which is why we now have Sonic Classic Collection (and why jEnesisDS hasn't been updated since 2008). The music sounds "better" because all the sound you hear are separate files (meaning that SEGA sucks at ripping music).

You are explaining something that has already been said repeatedly in this thread and stating wrong information on top of that. Blue Blood's statement is 100% correct: The music sounds so good because it is not being run on the original hardware (which usually had corners cut which made audio quality suffer), nor is it being played through an emulator (because Sega usually outsources for the shittiest emulators when it comes to sound quality), which means that the tunes heard in game are playing the way they were originally composed, with clear voices and all.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

sonicClassic.jpg

Naughty naughty EB Games Australia, slapping an OFLC rating sticker on U.S. copies with no region lock warning for DSi/DSi XL owners -_-

http://www.vooks.net/story-19121-EB-Games-selling-regionlocked-DS-games-that-Aussies-cant-play.html

Found via GoNintendo -

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=122296

Naughty naughty EB Games Australia, slapping an OFLC rating sticker on U.S. copies with no region lock warning for DSi/DSi XL owners -_-

The store owners simply could not have known or missed that it was a DSi game. It isn't as if Nintendo widely publicized that dickery in the first place.

The store owners simply could not have known or missed that it was a DSi game. It isn't as if Nintendo widely publicized that dickery in the first place.

I guess, let's hope no-one with a DSi/DSi XL buys the copy otherwise there will be complaints :lol: This will be a problem Nintendo will need to sort out for sure if their 3DS will be region locked.

Pre-owned copies? Well, I find it hard to blame EB Games. People will import it and then go to trade it in later. It's the same game as the US version, so they're doing the right thing by sticking an OLFC rating on it, but if the box itself doesn't specify that it will only run on US DSi systems then that's SEGA or Nintendo's (I'd guess the latter) problem. The Aus/Eur version definitely does tell you about the region locking.

S**t, Imagine how much a new one would cost. :/

Bear in mind Australian dollars are pretty weak compared to the USD and GPB. $44 there is what, £26GBP?

Granted, that's still a lot for a used copy, considering you can already get it brand new here in the UK for under £16.

Sorry for the double post, but if anyone is still looking to buy the limited edition collector's tin set, it's being sold at this New Zealand-based site, and they ship worldwide.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, seeing as the tin was available in Spain as well, GAME (Spanish version) have them on their site HERE.

They also ship to most places but I'm tempted to pick one up when I go to my house in Spain in a couple of weeks - now I'm wishing I paid to bring a suitcase back :P