Awoo.

Sonic Classic Collection

Indigo Rush

Yong, a fan (Stealth) flawlessly ported Sonic 1 to the GBA after SEGAs miserable attempt. The GBA is plenty powerful enough, it's just that SEGA do very little very well.

EDIT: Beaten and bettered.

Edited by Blue Blood

I think he's talking about Stealth's port of the game rather than the shitty one that Sega did. Stealth's proof of concept port showed that with a little effort the game could indeed run almost perfectly on the GBA. Check it out here.

As for the Sonic Classic Collection, as long as the Sonic and Kncukles lock on is supported I may just consider picking it up at some point, but if like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection it's not there, then it can go straight to the bargain bin for all I care.

The game does have lock-on, the lock-on games are listed in the BBFC rating -

http://sonicstadium.org/news/sonic-classic-collection-rated-by-bbfc

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll probably get this game just for the extras if they're good enough. Though it still baffles me why they are so reluctant to just port CD already port CD with the other 4 games already, give us a US/JP soundtrack option and be done with it. I hate the fact that we can't just by one game with all 5 games, and it sucks even more that they AGAIN, separated S1-3&K and CD.

One thing though, I'm curious to what the second DS screen will be used for, and, though I hate to admit it, I doubt it'll be used for much.

EDIT: Correction, port CD with the other 4 games.

Edited by Black Spy

...it still baffles me why they are so reluctant to just port CD already...

Sonic_Gems_Collection_Coverart.png

618B49P49BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

2im4ymq_499.jpg

It's been re-released several times, but not mobile, I'll give you that, let alone with the JP/EU soundtrack.

Europe also got a PS2 version aswell as the GC version :P

a.jpg

Oh hang on, just found a U.S. PS2 pic too but eitherway it was also on PS2 aswell :lol:

Thought I heard U.S. only got the GC version of Gems Collection?

Yong, a fan (Stealth) flawlessly ported Sonic 1 to the GBA after SEGAs miserable attempt. The GBA is plenty powerful enough, it's just that SEGA do very little very well.

EDIT: Beaten and bettered.

Shame that fan most likely isn't working on this new collection. Though I guess it's better to stay hopeful that Sega will hopefully do better this time given that they have better and stronger hardware to work with. Though if recent Sonic games were any indication Sega knows how to fail miserably. But forgive me if I'm only aware of officially released stuff and not fan-created work.

I'll probably get this game just for the extras if they're good enough. Though it still baffles me why they are so reluctant to just port CD already port CD with the other 4 games already, give us a US/JP soundtrack option and be done with it. I hate the fact that we can't just by one game with all 5 games, and it sucks even more that they AGAIN, separated S1-3&K and CD.

One thing though, I'm curious to what the second DS screen will be used for, and, though I hate to admit it, I doubt it'll be used for much.

EDIT: Correction, port CD with the other 4 games.

Because CD based games with CD based music take up space. Space that I don't think DS cards have.

Thought I heard U.S. only got the GC version of Gems Collection?

Yeah.

Worst decision ever. Meh, I only wanted it for Sonic R, anyway. (PC version no longer works for me)

Also, there are DS cards that are 512mb in size, and can probably handle having all four Genesis games with Sonic CD. ...But it's just that they're really expensive to produce, allegedly. For a release like this, Sega wants to go the cheap way and so they can only put the Genesis titles on here. A 512mb card is not worth it for this game.

I would say take my S3&K, because we have enough versions of that, and give me CD for once. Would anyone else give up lock-on for CD? I think because CD is relatively obscure, Sega thinks people don't want to play it. RWONG!

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

It's harder to emulate, yeah. What I don't get is why they don't just use the old PC port, that would be easy to stick on most anything. My guess? They lost the source.

I'd actually love it if this were a port of Sonic Jam. They could easily recreate the Sonic World section, although I'm not sure there'd be enough space on a DS card for all the extra videos, articles and images.

It's a minor detail, but if the American boxart remains as shown and the UK boxart does too then I'll import the game. =P

I'm assuming you guys think the GHZ bg on the US version is drawn? From what I gather its not.

Lazy box art is lazy.

Taking an old Sonic Channel artwork (which is anachronic compared to the games, though this is nothing new) and slapping it against a background of GHZ? They could have at least come up with new art.

I'll play a ROM of this game to see whether it sucks ass or not, and then I might consider it.

Firstly - nice to see a member of SSMB staff promoting game piracy. Classy.

Secondly - the Sonic artwork itself is actually new, Sonic Team had it drawn especially.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Firstly - nice to see a member of SSMB staff promoting game piracy. Classy.

I've done no such thing, as I'm not advocating everybody to do the same. Though I'm not going to turn this into a discussion of the morality of piracy and whatnot, so I'll leave that be.

I'm assuming you guys think the GHZ bg on the US version is drawn? From what I gather its not.

Not at all. If the artwork is recycled, then surely the BG is as well (not to mention it's certainly obvious from looking at the box). But cause I think it looks nicer, why the hell not get it?

SCC_FRONT_12_2_lrg.jpg

Nicer colouring style on Sonic, bright and sunny Green Hill Zone. Simple, but nice. =)

Edited by Blue Blood

Why are we deciding to buy games based on box art? You're not going to look at it for longer than ten seconds before you put it on a shelf, away from view, or shove it under your bed, or your attic or in the bin because DS boxes are too bloody bulky. :3

S'all about the games, yo.

Well, thats another reason why the US version is cooler. Here in Europe we have those fat, see-through Cases, while in the US and Japan they have those slimmer black cases :-/. And the Spine is usually colored and has the game logo, instead of white with black text or the logo..

Well, thats another reason why the US version is cooler. Here in Europe we have those fat, see-through Cases, while in the US and Japan they have those slimmer black cases :-/. And the Spine is usually colored and has the game logo, instead of white with black text or the logo..

Some games have the logo on the spine in Europe, both the Mario & Sonic Olympics games have the logo. I do wish all DS and Wii games in Europe would have the logo's on the spine though as the text is a little dull but as long as I can play the game I'm happy :)

Why are we deciding to buy games based on box art? You're not going to look at it for longer than ten seconds before you put it on a shelf, away from view, or shove it under your bed, or your attic or in the bin because DS boxes are too bloody bulky. :3

S'all about the games, yo.

Deciding to buy which version. I've (almost) made the decision to get the game based on the fact that I've wanted to play them on the go for a long time. Not to mention that cases can make a lovely display if you take the time. I could never bin them or chuck the in the attic.

• Bad Quality Post 1

But forgive me if I'm only aware of officially released stuff and not fan-created work.

Official Sega releases show how much of a fuck up Sonic Genesis was.

Sega-Smash-Pack_GBA_USboxart_160w.jpg

The GBA can handle Genesis ports. They'd have to be redone much more than the system's dozens of SNES ports, but the GBA could handle it.

Edited by Tornado

Official Sega releases show how much of a fuck up Sonic Genesis was.

Sega-Smash-Pack_GBA_USboxart_160w.jpg

The GBA can handle Genesis ports. They'd have to be redone much more than the system's dozens of SNES ports, but the GBA could handle it.

But that's a port of Sonic Spinball isn't it(given the cover)? But I see the point. I think the main thing I was getting at is despite the capabilities of the system, Sega has still shown they could muck things up in the worst way. As long as they're not "rebuilding" the games for this collection I think it should be fine.

Amazon are listing a March 2nd release in the U.S. and confirm lock-on will be available for Sonic 2 and 3 but no mention of Sonic 1 so Blue Sphere looks to be absent from this collection.

* All of the best original Sonic games in one fantastic compilation

* These much-loved classics come complete to the handheld arena for the first time. Now you can experience the games that defined a genre anywhere, anytime

* For the first time in Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic The Hedgehog 2, players can saved their progress at any point while playing so that you miss none of the non-stop action

Sonic The Hedgehog, one of the world’s most recognized and successful video-game characters returns to the Nintendo DS in this new collection of his original adventures. Sonic Classic Collection is the complete compilation of the original SEGA Genesis Sonic titles, consisting of the following genre-defining games: • Sonic The Hedgehog • Sonic The Hedgehog 2 • Sonic The Hedghog 3 • Sonic & Knuckles It also features two extra lock-on modes from the originals whereby Knuckles becomes a playable character in both Sonic 2 and 3 to complete the full experience. For the first time the best of classic Sonic comes to the Nintendo DS for a new generation of gamers!

http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Classic-Collection-Nintendo-DS/dp/B002WDL53O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1260754133&sr=8-2

^ What do you mean by "Blue sphere"? Are you talking about the S3/S&K special stage?

BTW, with my thoughts on Sonic Classic Collection, I'm not too hyped because my PSP has custom firmware (well, not anymore since I had to download the official firmware 6.10 just to play the Peace Walker demo, but soon I will re-install the custom firmware) and I have Genesis emulators for PSP allowing me to play the classic Sonic games anywhere, so I'll just stick to that instead. Plus, I'm worried that SCC might turn out to be like Sonic Genesis on GBA. *vomits*

^ What do you mean by "Blue sphere"? Are you talking about the S3/S&K special stage?

BTW, with my thoughts on Sonic Classic Collection, I'm not too hyped because my PSP has custom firmware (well, not anymore since I had to download the official firmware 6.10 just to play the Peace Walker demo, but soon I will re-install the custom firmware) and I have Genesis emulators for PSP allowing me to play the classic Sonic games anywhere, so I'll just stick to that instead. Plus, I'm worried that SCC might turn out to be like Sonic Genesis on GBA. *vomits*

When you lock Sonic 1 onto Sonic & Knuckles you get a whole game made up of a large amount of different Special Stages in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles style. In past collections that game has been available but it looks like it's not going to be in this collection.