Awoo.

Ring drop systems

SuperStingray

So basically a Death Egg Act 1 boss that can aim. Nothing new, really. For the most part it's still pattern explotation.

No, it's not that at all. The platforms in this boss are rotated by Sonic's weight, and there's the little detail that using them is something that actually makes sense to do. The Death Egg Act 1 boss requires you to run across the screen from it, wait for it to stop shooping, then hit it.

Uh, what? I didn't actually mention anything about a beat-em-up. I'd just rather there were more threat to the game than just spikes and death pits, variants of both not withstanding. At the same time, punishing with complete ring loss, particularly with how important the rings are outside of actual living these days (no, I'm talking about them as a currency, less so those silly rankings that people seem to be butthurt over), seems a bit harsh for a majority of the possible ways about it.

I'm having a hard time telling what you have in mind if that's the case.

Umm... I saw about three seconds of Sonic tapping his foot in Spagonia. I'm not sure what you're trying to show me here.

Bah, Viddler has a goofy timeline. It's the Egg Devil Ray. It was a cool boss, or at least it would have been if avoiding it's attacks was something that you could actually do. Instead, the good way to beat it is hit it once and then juggle it with the boost. Fighting it in such a way where it actually does more than bounce along the path complaining is very frustrating because you take so many hits.

I've never had any problem the way the individual ring systems were implemented. Although there are a few times where I become horribly annoyed over usage.

Sonic Adventure 2 worked for the way the game was. The enemies were slower paced and losing rings wasn't that much of a bother, until you get to the final stages. The artificial chaos that they have in those levels are so horribly unpredictable and fast that the minute you know it they'll do their split second tentacle attack, flow is broken and I lose all my rings. Although that's only a nitpick.

Shadow the Hedgehog made the game way too easy when it came to survival, although since that was more of a mission based system than anything I found that slightly justified.

Sonic 06 might have the worst one. Doing level runs to collect rings is amazingly horrid, mostly for the levels that have Mach Speed zones. What that game should have had is a cash-in type of system after a major section where your rings are already banked, and in Wave Ocean after I've successfully did a run through the first sections lying on 200-300 something rings, the Mach Speed area completely destroys all that hard-work process by making me lose ALL my rings upon one single hit.

The classics system worked good for what they were since back then Sonic was alot more of an Arcade Game and you were collecting rings for a high score and special levels, it was more challenging. Although with the modern games you collect rings for rankings and to buy stuff usually. Back in the day you'd go all "FUCK YEAH!" whenever you'd get yourself a continue for a classic and nowadays its usually a piece of cake that you mostly dont care for. With that said, Sonic Unleashed for the 360 has the best ring system in the modern day.

I like SA1/SA2's the best. I HATE the GameGear one, because after losing your rings it only lets you have one ring instead of the amount that you had before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I prefer all of them except the Master System Sonic1 version in witch you lose them all but you only drop one and if there is a way to pick it up as it falls off screen I cant do it.

classic style was the best. Sa1 and Sa2 were good games and i dont really get why their changing it. In sonic unleashed it is impossible to die without unnescesary deathpits

Edited by Jaouad

classic style was the best. Sa1 and Sa2 were good games and i dont really get why their changing it. In sonic unleashed it would be impossible to die without unnescesary deathpits

They change it to suit the game. Unleashed is loaded with traps, and a vast number of necessary death pits, though there are lame ones, like the Rooftop Run Clock tower (both day and night). Shadow the Hedgehog involved a lot of guns and projectile attack form enemies naturally gearing the gameplay with the need to be on your toes. It wouldn't be fair to have the 2 hit death in that game.

They change it to suit the game. Unleashed is loaded with traps, and a vast number of necessary death pits, though there are lame ones, like the Rooftop Run Clock tower (both day and night). Shadow the Hedgehog involved a lot of guns and projectile attack form enemies naturally gearing the gameplay with the need to be on your toes. It wouldn't be fair to have the 2 hit death in that game.

In my opinion those were one of the reasons i didnt like both games. Shadow the hedgehog compensated a bit with a lot of enemies and less rings. But unleashed was just exagurating. Some people seem to like it because losing a lot of rings isnt fun. But look at it this way. The only reason for having a lot of rings in a sonic game is to rank high.

But both ways you lose a lot only with the new system less. The results are the same and that is not having the highest rank.

Only the new system destroys the difficulty in such a way they have to add deathpits.. I mean how else would you die?

Impossible, even in eggmanland