Awoo.

Medal of Honor: Modern Warfare

Badnik Mechanic

moh580cropnewea.jpg

EA have announced that they plan to reboot *thumps chest* their old first person shooter series Medal of Honor.

For those who don't recall it, Medal of Honor titles are typically set in some theatre of World War 2, usually it's Germany, but there have been some Japanese skirmishes here and there.

And now it's back, only with a difference, it'll be a modern setting in Afghanistan! WOO! Just like the first few stages of Modern Warfare 2!

You'll play as a bearded man who takes on missions that nobody else will do! WOO! Just like Soap in Modern Warfare 2!

They promise the (I'd better quote this...) "best-in-class single-player campaign!" WOO! Just like Modern Warfare 2!

Urm... does anyone else think this should just be called "Modern Warfare 2: EA?" Or is that Battlefield Bad Company 2?

A trailer will be shown during Spike TV's 2009 Video Game Awards on Saturday, December 12 at 8:00PM PT. So unless it's a really really stupid teaser trailer, chances are we'll get an idea of the gameplay and if this is indeed a MW2 competitor.

Meh... Medal of Honor games in the past have kinda ranged from really good to just ok, I guess theres a chance that this won't be 'bad' or 'wrong' as the case maybe. I guess time will tell.

Source

Edited by Casanova

It's actually just called Medal Of Honour right now, no MW suffix, and features Santa reigning presents filled with hellfire down upon Al Qaida and the Taliban.

mohvn.jpg

It's actually just called Medal Of Honour right now, no MW suffix

I know, but until the trailer comes out, I felt it needed the MW as it's what everybody is currently thinking when they read the press release.

Santa reigning presents filled with hellfire down upon Al Qaida and the Taliban.

And an easter bunny multiplayer mode.

Edited by Casanova

AAAAAAAnd I think we've just found Game of the Year 2010...

2010's going to be packed with great games; Alan Wake, Aliens Vs Predator, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Bayonetta, Bioshock 2, Brink, Crackdown 2, Dante's Inferno, Dark Void, Darksiders, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, Halo Reach, Heavy Rain, Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, Medal Of Honour, Mod Nation Racers, No More Heroes 2, Prince Of Persia, Resistance 3, Sonic Classic Collection, Splinter Cell Conviction, Super Mario Galaxy 2, The Last Guardian, Valkyria Chronicles 2, and 3D Dot Game Heroes among a great many others.

• Thumbs Up 1

AAAAAAAnd I think we've just found Game of the Year 2010...

Beard of the Year 2010, for certain. Not sure why you have such a hang up with shooters being GoTY though dude.

I wholeheartedly support any games featuring mighty bearded protagonists, so I'm up for this if it's any good. DICE doing the multiplayer portion is a strong sign that that half well be at least decent.

Blatant MW rip though, haha.

OT: I thought of the rambo poster too! Didn't another game (dark sector? or something...) have a similar cover?

Blatant MW rip though, haha.

Any game set today was going to be a "MW rip-off", just in the same way as any open-world sandbox game was going to be called a "GTA rip-off" no matter how good (or bad) it was gonna be. At least this game is focusing on real battles, since they're talking about Tier 1 Operators (which exist I'm guessing), that it's set in Afghanistan and that they want it to be authentic.

Let it be.

They really should've taken the series to Korea, then to Vietnam. There's quite a few untapped conflicts just waiting to be videogamed.

Any game set today was going to be a "MW rip-off", just in the same way as any open-world sandbox game was going to be called a "GTA rip-off" no matter how good (or bad) it was gonna be.

really though, you have to admit the timing is a little too close together to just be conicidence.

GTA rip off is a different story altogether, GTA3 practically fathered a genre, they've been modern shooters before, but this seems to be following the "dramatic plot driven campagin" and "awesome yet mostly separate multi-player " kind of structure of the last few COD games.

I have no real problem with this. I s'pose if you consider IW's history with MoH and CoD it's kind of odd, but if they can match the quality of MW, I'll be happy indeed.

Korea is a bit iffy for a game isn't it? Vietnam would be sweet though, especially for the implied kick ass soundtrack that would come with such an era :'D

There have been a bunch of shooters in 'Nam, though I don't think any were really any good. I think the problem is that a really good 'Nam game would be lacking the sense of empowerment that big name games seem to require.

There have been a bunch of shooters in 'Nam, though I don't think any were really any good. I think the problem is that a really good 'Nam game would be lacking the sense of empowerment that big name games seem to require.

I think i game ending on a sombre note would be quite refreshing amongst the FUCK YEAAAAH endings of recent games.

COD4 for all intents and purposes implied most of the SAS team and all of the marine guys were dead. kind of a downer!

COD4 for all intents and purposes implied most of the SAS team and all of the marine guys were dead. kind of a downer!

And MW2

had most of Task Force 141 slaughtered in cold blood, ending with Soap and Price as the C.I.A.'s top two most wanted, on the run from what will inevitably be a very angry America.

Beard of the Year 2010, for certain. Not sure why you have such a hang up with shooters being GoTY though dude.

Because as long as Spike continues to select the potential GotY candidates itself it's obvious that the same sort of games will win every year.

Besides, with MW being as popular as it is any game that's as similar as this is going to sell like hotcakes due to people wanting more of the same. HOTCAKES.

Korea is a bit iffy for a game isn't it? Vietnam would be sweet though, especially for the implied kick ass soundtrack that would come with such an era :'D

What's wrong with the Korean War? It was one of the first major Cold War conflicts, yet it seems to been forgotten.

There have been a bunch of shooters in 'Nam, though I don't think any were really any good.

Vietcong and Battlefield: Vietnam were good.

Nothing beats gunning down Charlie from a Huey while blasting out The Kinks. Fucking immense.

They promise the (I'd better quote this...) "best-in-class single-player campaign!" WOO! Just like Modern Warfare 2!

"best-in-class single-player campaign!"

Modern Warfare 2

1227051572820.png

Anyway I don't see all this stuff about Medal of Honor ripping off Call of Duty when both of the series were practically on the same level of insert-generic-war-scenario with state of the art multiplayer, and I don't see a problem with MoH trying to flesh itself out further. It's the better way, and smarter way as well.

The problem isn't MoH trying to be CoD. The problem is CoD did it first.

But hey if this has dedicated servers then we know who will be playing what the most.

Edited by The Psychosomantic

Korea is a bit iffy for a game isn't it?

What's wrong with Korea? WWII and Vietnam are really the only major modern wars that we've really gotten games out of; WWI is out of the question since we'd be stuck in a foxhole the entire game and Iraq... well, we know what happened to 6 Days. I just want to see something based on actual history yet still hasn't been done.

• 2 weeks later...

VGA Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4CD85MEbg

Not a bad trailer at all. Obviously because it's set around now in an ongoing theatre of war people are going to call it a CoD:MW rip-off, but I think there's easily enough room in the warzones of today for multiple game series'. There seems to be a good varety of gameplay going on; chopper raids, gunplay, what looks like an AC-130 'Specter' Gunship stage and so on. Graphics look very polished from what little we've seen as well.

One to watch, not one to dismiss as a clone (because only 'allowing' 1 game per genre ala GTA or per time period ala MW is retarded; the new guy might just do it as good as or better than the established pro).