Awoo.

Sly Cooper series

CrownSlayer’s Shadow

Penelope showed no signs of betraying the Cooper gang in the third game, outright crushing on Sly before even setting her sights on Bentley. It's obvious that Sucker Punch didn't design her with a betrayal in mind for a future game.

I'm still very disappointed in it because I really hate it when likeable characters turn out to be evil later on. It's a huge peeve of mine in fiction and even moreso when the reveal is made in a later installment. =/ Also consider the fact that Carmelita is at the moment the only female in the series with an alliance with the good guys. Kind of disappointed that every other girl has to turn out to be evil when there's a huge lack of ones on the other side of the morality spectrum.

I mean I've only gotten into the series recently, but consider how someone who played Sly 3 when it came out and possibly really liked Penelope would feel about it. It's a very jarring change, and I can understand why some people would not appreciate it in the least. I sure as hell do not.

Her redesign appeals to me far less, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• Balding Spider

• Conando

• T-Min

Bumping this to bring up a rather odd thought I had in regards to Penelope (okay, more like fanfiction stuff even though I am not what could be called a Sly Cooper fan):

What if the reason she went rogue was not because she wanted to, but because she wasn't given a choice?

To set the stage, we must go back to Clockwerk. More accurately, an alternate timeline's version of Clockwerk, where he actually succeeded in killing off the Cooper Clan for good...in his timeline. Now here's the thing: Clockwerk relies on his hatred of the Coopers to ensure his immortality, and he likely would have realized at some point that once he kills off the last Cooper in his timeline, he would have nothing left to live for. So this alternate version of Clockwerk decides to go one step further beyond just killing his timeline's version of Coopers, and builds a machine that will allow him to travel to OTHER alternate timelines so he can go and kill EVERY Cooper in existence (which would be impossible due to the fact that there can be millions of alternate realities, but that might be the point considering I doubt Clockwerk would be happy with just up and rusting after accomplishing his life's goal).

Now say for example he does this for a while before coming across the last living Cooper of the timeline we know of. He would likely be surprised by the fact that this version of Clockwerk failed so miserably, and thus want to deal with Sly Cooper in some fashion. Enter Le Paradox, who also wants to deal with Cooper due to *insert backstory*, and he somehow successfully strikes a deal with alt. Clockwerk: He will capture Sly Cooper and deliver him to Clockwerk after he is done gloating in Cooper's face, and in return, alt. Clockwerk...aids him with something that I can't think of at the moment. Help me here if you can.

Now where does Penelope fit into this? Well, she and Bentley were working on a Time Machine as well, so naturally alt. Clockwerk would eventually notice. After some time of observing, he concludes that Bentley would be too loyal to Sly to betray him, but PENELOPE isn't quite as certain, especially if he targets Bentley to ensure her cooperation. During a test run of the time machine, Penelope is intercepted by alt. Clockwerk and brought aboard Le Paradox's zeppelin. There he forces her to work for them with the threat of hurting Bentley, and that if she tries to betray him, he would have many ways of ensuring the demise of her and the people she cares for. She very reluctantly agrees, and for a time, things seem to be going as planned.

However, Le Paradox drops the idiot ball big time, and starts to focus more on trying to prove to Cooper how much better he is rather than Alt. Clockwerk's plan. Penelope takes advantage of this and goads him into following his own plan over alt. Clockwerk's plan, hoping to derail the whole thing to keep the Cooper Gang safe. As Sly 4 shows, he took the bait. However, realizing that alt. Clockwerk would eventually figure things out, she does the most painful thing that she could ever do: break her boyfriend's heart, betray her gang's trust, and go into hiding to avoid the eyes of Alt. Clockwerk until she can find a way to convey the truth to her friends without drawing his attention. Alt. Clockwerk is also quite furious at Le Paradox effectively sending Sly into a random point in time, as it greatly increases the workload and makes killing him much more difficult. But as one could say, it's only a matter of time...

I bought it a few months after its release. Of course, I went back to replay the first three on the good ol' PS2 to prepare myself for this installment (I didn't buy the collection precisely because I had the original versions. I'm weird like that). My thoughts?

Great game. I wouldn't complain if Sanzaru made another one, since I felt it lived up to the originals. However, they do need to improve their writing a little, especially in regards to that one plot twist.