Awoo.

Sly Cooper series

CrownSlayers Shadow

Oh right, if people weren't aware, there's a new demo on the PlayStation Store that's different from the Ratchet & Clank Collection one. The demo actually goes over the first mission of the game, it seems.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• Balding Spider

• Conando

• T-Min

For me, the comedy in the Sly games are funny because it's so tongue-in-cheek and cheesy that it makes me chuckle. It's like how bad puns can be so bad that you laugh at the sheer lameness of it. IDK, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it personally. To each they're own I guess haha. What I really enjoy though is this cartoony image with these cheesy jokes, but sometimes the themes and ideas and situation seemed aimed more toward adult. So in the end it has this cool balance going on that's pretty innocent and fun but gives you something to chew on so that doesn't bore you.

Anyways, I should probably stop putting of Sly 3 and beat it already so I can get this game here in a few weeks.

• Thumbs Up 3

For me, the comedy in the Sly games are funny because it's so tongue-in-cheek and cheesy that it makes me chuckle. It's like how bad puns can be so bad that you laugh at the sheer lameness of it. IDK, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it personally. To each they're own I guess haha.

Cheesy? Da fuq?

I thought it was a throw-back to the old Saturday morning cartoons we used to watch when we were kids. In this day and age, we don't see a lot of cartoons either on TV or in games with that kind of charm that Looney Tunes or Animaniacs had, and games like Sly and Ratchet and Clank happen to be modern examples trying to keep it a float.

I mean really, that script from the previous three games was very well done compared to other cartoon games or even non-cartoon games. Too many plots out there are about the characters being cool, badass, serious and steel-faced in danger, so it's nice to have a plot that, while it knows when to take situations seriously, is capable of going over the top and silly to make the audience laugh. That's what we need more of: Comedy.

EDIT: Did Carmelita's...oh yeah, they're going further with fan service.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

wait..WAIT

Sly & Carmelita... you know.. are together now??

since when?

The ending of Honor Among Thieves. Sly faked Amnesia and Carmelita took him in as her partner, "Constable Cooper" or something like that.

wait..WAIT

Sly & Carmelita... you know.. are together now??

since when?

Someone hasn't finished Sly 3 yet...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

;_____________; I want to know so badly now, I kinda left Sly 2 half finished, baaaawww... a game and a half to go before i play this then.. T ^ T

Well there's always Youtube, but watching isn't the same as playing...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that them being together. But it's funny though, these two are like complete opposite of each other...

Opposites attract I guess...

Cheesy? Da fuq?

I thought it was a throw-back to the old Saturday morning cartoons we used to watch when we were kids. In this day and age, we don't see a lot of cartoons either on TV or in games with that kind of charm that Looney Tunes or Animaniacs had, and games like Sly and Ratchet and Clank happen to be modern examples trying to keep it a float.

I mean really, that script from the previous three games was very well done compared to other cartoon games or even non-cartoon games. Too many plots out there are about the characters being cool, badass, serious and steel-faced in danger, so it's nice to have a plot that, while it knows when to take situations seriously, is capable of going over the top and silly to make the audience laugh. That's what we need more of: Comedy.

EDIT: Did Carmelita's...oh yeah, they're going further with fan service.

All the games and this cartoon had some pretty corny puns and jokes and stuffs, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing in my post. The light-heartedness of the series with this kinda stuff is what makes it so likable and yes, drives up the nostalgia train for memories of innocent saturday morning cartoons. Sly Cooper in all his games definitely had their fair share of badass moments and the like, but the overtone mood of all of that even was still pretty light-hearted and comedic I thought.

So what I'm saying is yay and keep doing it haha

Since some people are a bit confused about Sly and Carmelita here's the intro video (with more great animation):

That intro is pretty nice. The prologue doesn't seem too bad either, with a lot more going on compared to the first 2 games.

All the games and this cartoon had some pretty corny puns and jokes and stuffs, but I'm not saying it's a bad thing in my post. The light-heartedness of the series with this kinda stuff is what makes it so likable and yes, drives up the nostalgia train for memories of innocent saturday morning cartoons. Sly Cooper in all his games definitely had their fair share of badass moments and the like, but the overtone mood of all of that even was still pretty light-hearted and comedic I thought.

So what I'm saying is yay and keep doing it haha

I understood that you weren't saying it was a bad thing, but I'm saying that "cheesy" tends to have a bit more of a negative connotation to it when describing something even if that was the point behind its humor. I'd say blame the change in view in the use of the term for that.

Might want to be careful in using that...or maybe that's just me over-analyzing things again. :lol:

I did. It's different from the one that came with the Ratchet & Clank Collection. It's the first heist of the game, so it's really just more of a tutorial but, it's a Sly game through and through. Murray seems to have a new attack too. I don't remember him having a spin attack in Sly 2 or 3 but, maybe I just can't remember.

Yeah I don't recall him having that attack either, and are we in agreement that Murrays gameplay was the worst in the demo?

Murray's gameplay has always been simple, it's been the weakest in 2 and 3 as well. Generally they have him doing more than just beating dudes up, though. Later missions will be more than just a straight beat-em up, I'm sure.

Murray's gameplay has always been simple, it's been the weakest in 2 and 3 as well. Generally they have him doing more than just beating dudes up, though. Later missions will be more than just a straight beat-em up, I'm sure.

Oh he'll do more, IGN put up a two hour playthrough vid which showed. Though IMHO Murray feels much clunkier in this game than in 2 & 3.

For anyone that wants to see the 2 hour video BTW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rFlrJoMUVk

Edited by BeelzeBummer
  • Thumbs Up 1

The good thing about the PS3 is that you can put a laptop hard drive in there. It's incredibly easy to do with the slim models too, from what I know.

Murray never had a spin attack move of that nature before. I'm not sure why they gave it to him at all, especially when it has completely replaced his incredibly useful uppercut. The whole character plays like ass now. I hope there are upgrades that will enhance the experience. I enjoyed Murray in Sly 2 and 3 so he deserves better treatment.

The demo put a smile on my face. The character models are still pretty fucking appalling and some of the animations are wonky, but I'm starting to get used to them. I'm pretty bothered by the overabundance of completely worthless cinematics during the gameplay tho'. It really kills the flow.

Still.. I'm really looking forward to this game.

Edited by Chooch

You just stomp behind them so you can pickpocket them now. No uppercut necessary.

Regardless, I think the uppercut should be there. It'd be nice if it was an upgrade but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Edited by Chooch

Apparently there's still Thief Net upgrades but, if anything it'll probably just upgrade the spin attack rather than give him the uppercut. Maybe it will make the spin attack less weird, though.