Awoo.

Sly Cooper series

CrownSlayers Shadow

It looks great so far, why wouldn't it get good reviews?

I think this because Sly 4 is product of it's time. You have here a platformer that's really forgiving with it's platforming, and alot of the time it's not even a platformer when your playing. You're forced to play minigames within missions, and for alot of gamers thats not gonna go over well.

Sometimes stuff from the past doesn't translate well to the present for people.

I hate Sly 3. Those tank missions, OH I HAATTTEE those tank missions. Please I don't want to see those terrible tank missions again.

Sly 3 had tank missions? You sure you aren't thinking of Sly 2?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• Balding Spider

• Conando

• T-Min

I only played the games once, but the tank missions where you have to use the analog sticks to move and shoot in a confusing way is what I hated the most in the trilogy. I almost broke my controller in frustration.

*after searching*

Okay it's Sly 2. Still hated Sly 3 though. I don't know exactly why, but if I go through YouTube playthroughs again it will come back to me.

Sly 2 was okay for what I can remember, what killed it now was the tank missions. I don't know WHAT they were thinking with this. Terrible TERRIBLE controls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe5_XEYk-JA

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

I hate Sly 3. Those tank missions, OH I HAATTTEE those tank missions. Please I don't want to see those terrible tank missions again.

That's not in Sly 3, bud.

I know what your talking about too: such when you get in the middle of a fight between the Contessa and Neyla.

Edit: Damn, nevermind...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

^ Okay that is one thing. And, I also remember fighting some boss with Dimitri underwater and that was bad too.

I do hope Thieves of Time is better. Way better. In fact, IMO Sly 1 is the best Sly (even though the enemies can kill you in 1 hit).

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Honestly, I didn't care for the Sly games after the first one. I'm more of a fan of the simple, linear, level-to-level platforming of Thievius Racoonus instead of the myriad of alternate gameplay styles and more emphasis on stealth in the sequels.

Meanwhile, Adam Sessler, who was perhaps one of the biggest fans of Sly back in the day and always made a big deal about him, completely ripped this game to shreds.

Yeahhh, this game doesn't look very good. Scores are incredibly divisive so far.

Wow. To be honest, I wish Sucker Punch continued to develop the Sly series. Sucker Punch were the ones that made Sly, Sly. What were they thinking.

It's like Crash. Naughty Dog was the one that made Crash, Crash and when it was passed on to Activision, its games were never the same.

Maybe we should look at more opinions before deciding that the game is a flop?

Like these:

http://www.gamesradar.com/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-review/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/05/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time-review

http://totalplaystation.com/ps3/sly-cooper-thieves-in-time/reviews/10557/

Seems like the game is quite divisive.

Edited by SA1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some of the points he brings up are ones I can get behind, such as the abundance of mini-games (of which I felt the original games had way too much as it is, so I was hoping they'd cut back on them), but the stuff that's lifted from the previous games still seems to be present and I can probably get some enjoyment out of this anyway.

And the original Sly trilogy has its share of headbangingly idiotic design choices. I wouldn't call them platforming masterpieces by a long shot, even if they are very enjoyable. I can't see this being that much worse.

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with this. There are more positive reviews for the game than negative ones that I've seen atleast. Not that it really matters to me since I'll probably really enjoy this game anyway.

Well, considering the Vita version comes free with the PS3 one, I suppose I might as well leech it off of a friend and see how much I hate it. No loss. :P

^ I'll join you as soon I finish my backlog.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Geez, that review.

Honestly looking at the points highlighted, I'm disappointed. I guess like everyone else I had high expectations of it since it was looking so great, but the mini game smorgasbord and ample amount of time as not Sly is pretty ew in my opinion. I mean with all that said, I still wanna get it, and I'm sure I'll have some degree of fun, it's just I was really ready to be blown away. Not to be wishywashy, but I mean I still could, it's just looking less so.

Meanwhile, Adam Sessler, who was perhaps one of the biggest fans of Sly back in the day and always made a big deal about him, completely ripped this game to shreds.

Yeahhh, this game doesn't look very good. Scores are incredibly divisive so far.

Adam Sessler is probably one of the few reviewers I absolutely can't stand. Even in his G4 days he came off as pretentious and (sometimes) troll-like. 

That doesn't have much to do with the review I guess. But I have an inkling he's being extra critical because of what a fan he is of the series. 

Metascore just went down to a 75. User score is still a 9.1, though, but I doubt that will last much longer.

Between this and Sessler's review, I'm honestly getting a little frightened. Then again, critics are wont to be poop. I've disagreed with them on several occasions...

I think the biggest reason for divisive reviews is that it really doesn't change much from the original games. I've played through episode 1 and most of episode 2, and it's the same type of game as 2 and 3. Including the abundance of hacking minigames and such (at least there are 3 different versions of them now, I guess). I'm enjoying it, if that means anything. Fan of the series too.

Edit: Wait, wait. Adam said the boss fights were hard? How terrible is he at games?

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm sorry, but how is it a bad thing that the game sticks to the formula? No, really. It's the first Sly game in eight years and it's made by a different developer - why does it need to be groundbreaking? 

All I wanted out of this game was a more expansive version of Sly 2/3. It's a game made by fans for fans - if it's good at being that and isn't the Sly equivalent of Sonic 4, as far as I'm concerned, it's freaking great.

It seems very similar to the original series to me, near perfect or perfect to a "T". I suppose some would find faults in that but, I thought that's what people were expecting from Sly 4 when it was first teased at the end of 3. Now, going back to Sessler's review, and hoping I don't come off as an ass but, I find it very strange that he's complaining about Tennessee Kid Cooper using a gun. He says he's a fan of the series, right? Whenever Tennessee was shown, he had two revolvers. What this game did was actually make it kind of interesting in having him modifying a cane to double as gun. It's explained in story that he "upgraded" to the cane not long before Sly and the gang show up.

I also don't really understand the complaint about the costume gadgets. Typically whatever gadgets you bought were specifically used in missions. I don't know what he was getting at by saying they're needed for specific set pieces. The hell else would they be for? They DO open up paths to optional collectibles on the map too, though.

I really think some critics, including Sessler, wanted the Sly series to become something it's not. (And using Ratchet & Clank as an example isn't all that great. The series has done the same old since 2 as well. The story has become, debatedly, more "epic" but, the game play is the same. Exactly the same, and that's ok. I recall people being NOT ok with it when they suddenly started not being the same with All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault)

Edited by Wreck-It Ralph

I'd argue that a new Sly game ought to have less content than past games.

My ideal Sly Cooper game would basically involve taking the level design of the first game and the expansive hubs of the second. Have about 80% of the gameplay focus on Sly, and the remaining could be on Bentley and Murray if need be. And then do nothing else. I really wish they would just flat-out ditch any aspect of gameplay that doesn't have to do with sneaking around as Sly, but while I can tolerate the other main two characters well enough, even in their missions we still have to do minigame drivel like piloting an RC helicopter or controlling a tank.

It's like these games are developed by people who are huge fans of modern Sonic game design between SA1 and 2006. Would it really kill them to develop something that just focused on the basic core gameplay of stealth, which everyone plays and remembers these games by? Don't get me wrong, I do like these games, but there is just quite a lot of things about them that prevents me from listing them as modern platforming classics. And it's not that they don't do enough, it's that they do too much. Just focus on Sly himself, and I'd be pretty satisfied.

• Thumbs Up 4

I've never played a Sly Cooper game before, but I played the demo for Thieves in Time and found a very appealing game that really does seem to hearken back to that age. If I didn't already have so many games to play (and ones that I am definitely buying throughout the year) I'd actually give this or the HD Collection an honest look, it all seems like a lot of fun.

Edited by Mykonos

Honestly, I enjoyed most of the mini-games and alternate play styles. I personally thought they added to the variety of Sly 1 and 2 rather than taking the focus off of the core gameplay. Sly 3, I think overused them, but for the most part, I thought they were still fun.

If Thieves in Time has the same "platforming-to-mini-game" ratio as Sly 1 and 2, I'm fine with it.

• Thumbs Up 1