Awoo.

Energy Saving Bulbs

Roareye Black

How can you be against the lightbulb? While energy saving ones do save energy... yes, the light they produce is not good for reading and other things that requre different types of light. Like what do they mean when they say they will ban these? No one is allowed to have proper light at a theator now?

What they should do is tax the old ones and invest in the new ones to encourage people to mainly buy these, not ruin everyone's ability to choose what lightbulb they want. Maybe if Great Britain was not overly populated and flooded with immigrants, they might save a bit of power? There are so many other ways to benefit the country and save power than banning something a lot of people need - as a lightbulb has become very basic now.

I suppose next you will have to be eating recycled bread (assuming you do not alraedy eat McDonalds).

And D'harhan - have fun trying to convince everyone to love a government that follows the US into any war they suggest, spies on your internet browsing, puts spy cameras on the streets, invites terrorists to live there (then say the need the cameras for that? lolol), and allows police to beat people. I also think a hundred million Slavs would disagree with you about the European Union being good, too. The UK is a country, not a province. A few douchebags in France cannot possibly know what is best for another country.

Edited by Teirusu

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mollfie

• -Mark-

• Patticus

• Eileanach

How can you be against the lightbulb? While energy saving ones do save energy... yes, the light they produce is not good for reading and other things that requre different types of light. Like what do they mean when they say they will ban these? No one is allowed to have proper light at a theator now?

I have lamps if I want to read, and there must be other bulbs people could use in theatres.

And D'harhan - have fun trying to convince everyone to love a government that follows the US into any war they suggest, spies on your internet browsing, puts spy cameras on the streets, invites terrorists to live there (then say the need the cameras for that? lolol), and allows police to beat people.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to love the government, I'm just fed up of the constant ruddy moaning.

I also think a hundred million Slavs would disagree with you about the European Union being good, too.

How come? If it's about this recession stuff - they would've been hit hard regardless. If it's about migration draining the populations of eastern europe, more people are returning home than coming here.

A few douchebags in France cannot possibly know what is best for another country.

Your understanding of the workings of the EU is outstanding I must say...

Somebody call the WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHmbulance.

small note: why is Teirusu even here? he was banned at the old SSMB....

Hm, we actually use these at work... We have eight in the register light lamps, which are behind glass and honestly very dull... guess that explains why XD. Wouldn't worry about those ones, behind glass and so far up I doubt it would matter until someone changed one.

Now, over our desk we have four high powered hanging lamps from the ceiling... which they put damn energy savers in. Its a very strange feeling to be surrounded by florescent and natural lighting and be able to turn around and see strange light around the office. The only time it becomes a nusance is when its night time and I look up XD. I usually just put on sunglasses and count though XD.

small note: why is Teirusu even here? he was banned at the old SSMB....

Somebody call the WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHmbulance.

I LOL'd Teirusu!

I don't understand why everyone is getting so up their own arse about this. Big deal so the big bad bright bulbs are not going to be sold any more, stock up and once their done get a Natural Light lamp and stop your girning like a big baby.

I don't like the idea of an energy saving bulb having mercury and cancer causing whatevers in it but at the same time I am saving money and the ecosystem so I am sure as hell not going to cry over some guy's suggestion. I kind of agree with what Teirusu said with Britain following America into a war we didn't support and just doing things for the hell of it... that's what Britain does it TRIES to do something "good" but it fails - that's just Britain! We're over populated, too lax with immigration and don't really want to fix it through sensible means so we start to do stupid things.

I'm also confused why people hate energy saving light bulbs.

Did you know you can get a wide variety of different energy saving bulbs? You can get ones that are brighter than others, you can get some that are suitable for different fixtures and lamps etc.

You can even recycle them. Waste isn't a huge deal when you can recycle them, although it IS up to the government to introduce more places where you can recycle them easier i.e in stores.

Some info on them here: http://www.banthebulb.org/

I've never had a problem. I've used them for years and never have a problem reading, perhaps some people are more sensitive to light than others? How can they be more expensive? All the ones I ever got were free :huh:

- Energy Saving bulbs cause cancer. This was proven in tests, but then also proven that it would take roughly 2000 years of exposure to an energy saving bulb to get cancer from it. Now while I would love to take that as an a-ok, I can't but call bullshit. Why? Well doctors don't even know what starts cancer in the bloody first place! If you don't smoke, have a clean family history, live a healthy lifestyle and eat all the right things you can stll get lung cancer. On the same ticket you can eat like shit, smoke like a chimney and have a family history of lung cancer and never get it (Though it is a heightened chance). If they can't even say how cancer starts, can't say how long it is before it kills you when you have it, and find it difficult to treat, why introduce a cancer-producing element into the home? Think about this, the amount of shit the government pours in about how using your mobile phone will give you brain cancer and you only ever use that for about five to ten minutes at a time. Energy Saving Bulbs you'll be exposed to for roughly five to eight hours of an evening constantly. If they hink a phone can cause cancer from intermittant use, an energy saving bulb giving constant exposure must be much worse.

This worries me. =/ The University Dorms Rooms all came with energy saving bulbs as standard. Pretty much 300 odd students use the lights from at least 5pm until whenever, usually mine is on from 5ish until... around now, 2am. I think it's all ridiculous really. They advertise them as being better for the earth, when in actual fact they can be hazardous. I notice my light here is no-where near as bright as the ones at home, either.

What confuses me is how the idiotic parts of the Green movement get in charge, because they so completely and totally miss the point that it is scary that they are ever allowed to sway public opinion. The fact that tungsten lightbulbs are inefficient is not the problem. When it comes time to pay the electric bill, then yes, I understand why one might want a CFL. When it comes to actually saving the earth (itself being an elitist point of view anyways), CFL's and similar ideas make no difference whatsoever; and I'd like it for the idiots who took control of the Green movement to realize that.

I'm just sick and tired that every time a government tries to do something 'good', all it gets is angry rants

I was under the assumption that it was up to the people the determine what was good. Not for the government to ban something that the people rely on "for their own good."

Something that no doubt helps to save the planet is good, I don't give a fuck what the people think.

Something that no doubt helps to save the planet is good, I don't give a fuck what the people think.

It in no way helps save the planet, because laws like this don't do anything. Ban all the inefficient technology you want and you still keep coming to the same problem regardless. So, yeah.

Edited by Tornado

You could always buy halogen lamps! That's what we use in the shop now. Its not cheap on the bill but you sure as hell will see everything XD.