Awoo.

Your favorite game ever

Crystal Kingfisher

Topic merging madness 2

AH! How could I forget! The story of a moderator on some random Sonic board who has to determine whether or not threads are similar enough to be combined into one megathread! Fantastic puzzle-solving gameplay requiring your best deduction skills, and it's very difficult as well; fail to merge the appropriate topics, and Dreadknux docks your pay. A timeless classic!

(Let it be known that I do not actually perceive Dreadknux that way, nor do I believe forum moderation works even remotely like that. XD)

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll be cooler than all of you and organize mine into genres:

Platformer - Sonic CD. Considering we're all Sonic fans, I don't think much needs to be said for this one. It has everything that made the other classic games great (black eyes), a really nice intro and outro, great level design, an amazing soundtrack (JP) with deep, meaningful lyrics like "work that sucker to death", etc. Bar some collision detection issues, I can't really think of any problems with the game.

Action/Adventure - Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time. Yeah, I guess you could consider it a platformer, but considering the shooting and platforming elements are split up almost equally, and how the different environments are just large environments to explore as opposed to "levels", I consider it an Action/Adventure game. It had a great story full of wonderful characters, really polished gameplay, tons of different things to do, plenty of replay value, and more. I love this game. :'D

RPG - Demon's Soul's. The only game I can easily call the greatest game of all time (until Dark Souls comes out). There's absolutely nothing I can say I completely disliked about the game. It was difficult, had plenty of its own flair, had tons and tons of replay value, plenty of weapons to collect, a bunch of interesting systems like the world and soul tendency's, an amazing online mode, and a mythology you'd actually care to find out about.

Racing - F-Zero GX. Difficult, stylish, unique, and polished. All form the recipe for a good game. F-Zero controlled amazingly well, gave you tons of vehicles to unlock, had great track design, awesome graphics, and actually gave you a really good sense of speed. With music that doesn't make me want to chuck my TV out the window, F-Zero's already ahead of most other racing games in my book, but delivering an experience I can't get anywhere else puts it at the top for me.

Rhythm - Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBe00FAaado.

Fighting - Blazblue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYmYS7_R2jY.

• Thumbs Up 2

w1zgrb.png

I have not played any game that I could in any way deem perfect, least of all this one. As far as video games go, this is probably the most standard of a title you could get without replacing the entire game play with 2D platforming. But sometimes merely quality of a title just doesn't cut it. Video games aren't about crafting perfection, but about experiences. A trip through fantastical narratives brought by artists and designers. I thought for the longest time that gaming was all about challenging and overcoming, but while that is always a quintessential part of what I play games for, it was only with No More Heroes that I ultimately started believing that there is more to gaming than just victory, and ironically for me to realize this, it took me a game where the entire game revolved around just that; victory.

At it's core, No More Heroes is a hack n slash with a GTA-esque sandbox. The progression and gameplay is so childishly textbook that it's hard to even take the game seriously. Your goal is simply to become the number one top assassin, to do this you slash yourself through legions of faceless mooks while facing a big boss towards the end. In between the assassin jobs you partake in numerous side jobs around town to raise your money... to access the next boss level. Oh and perhaps buy yourselves some nice clothes. Or talk to drunk hobos who give you super powers. Or increase your vitality at a gym. Or rent videos while looting for trash. The game takes no effort in trying to explain all these available side offers to you and expects you to discover these elements on your own. Gimmicky side jobs and satisfying yet very straightforward hack n slash would make you think that there's no way this game could stand out in the crowd of others.

But it does. And it excels by offering a fantastic framework, with fantastic writing, and an insane trip through the extremely comic-relief, bonkers world that auteur developer Suda51 crafted. In the role, you are Travis Touchdown, the biggest stereotype to have graced a video game as a main character that the audience can project themselves to. When thrust into a situation where killing is everything, you have really no other choice but to believe that you don't give a crap about the countless minions you're slaying. You just have an obnoxious Johnny Knoxville-aura emitting gamer and Otaku who only cares about winning. And getting the girl. Travis is literally a paradox meta taking shape as a player avatar. A lame show off who thinks he's hot shit through multiple ways of honor code, genre savviness and overall inability to give a single everlasting fuck, makes his interactions with the immensely memorable and characterized bosses all the more engaging and impressionable. No More Heroes is a trip, and it tells far more about video games than any other game has ever achieved in it's life time. Lacking in replay value? Maybe. Tedious and generic? At times, yes. But for a one in a life time experience, you will never experience any game like it. The game is so meta, you might as well believe that any flaws that are in it were placed deliberately as some form of artistic statement and that it's all one big joke. A big joke that I'm still enjoying to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Toejam and Earl

My favorite game in its unique quality. It was a masterpiece of the Genesis that was difficult to rival. Debuting in 1991, TJ&E offered a different game every time you played it (unless you selected Fixed Worlds). The game's music was great, even though the track was small, it still added to the game play in its style. Although the objective of the game was the same each time, the various ways to finish the game increased its replay-ability tenfold. An all time Genesis classic that deserves a spot in everyone's collection.

Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver

I always have been a fan of the Pokemon series, and I didn't get HeartGold anywhere near its release. I really wish I did, because by the time I bought it (April 2011), it was already outdated with the release of B/W. HeartGold was a spectacular game that build upon my favorite games of the series, G/S/C. Although any of the Pokemon games could have really gone on here, I think HG is the best to write about because I'm still playing it, despite finishing the game awhile ago. Just something about the music in the game, the style of it, something that makes it feel different than the others of the series, and makes me like it more than I like Black.

Star Wars Battlefront II

Oh. My. God. This game sat in my PS2 from 2006-2008 (only being taken out when I put in NFL Street 3). SWBFII was the greatest shooter game I played at this time and kept me busy for a long time. Sure, the AI sucked offline, but that didn't matter. Online was where it was at. It featured rankings (Gametracker), a great community, everything you could want (or i could want, my opinion of course). The biggest thing that kept me playing were the people, and the fun of the game. I look back at it now and realize it wasn't that great of a game as I initially thought, but it still keeps a place as one of my favorites, especially when I was absolutely addicted to it.

Mario Kart Wii

When I first bought my Wii system, I was immediately hoping for Mario Kart to come out for it. Though it took until my birthday in 2008, I finally got this game, and I can only explain it as spectacular. Mario Kart Wii was the game that got me into the Mario Kart series, as before that I had only played the other Mario Kart games sparingly (64, Double Dash and DS were the ones I'm most familiar with.) Mario Kart Wii did pretty much everything right. The courses were beautiful and detailed, and the music of each stage were something to expect from a Mario game (Spectacular!) Mario Kart's online capability was the best part about it, and racing 11 other players kept the competition high. Although it did have its downfalls (Blue shells and the shitty Thundercloud T.T), it was still a great game that kept me playing for a long time after.

Sonic and SEGA All-Star Racing

Just like Mario Kart, SaSASR was a game the caught my attention as soon as I heard about it. And it was not a disappointment, not one bit. All-Stars Racing was the rival to Mario Kart that did it right, instead of a shitty game that tried to be like Mario Kart. ASR did what Mario Kart did, though without the annoying power-ups that would fuck you over. I love playing the time trials in the game and online is fun to play as well, but being the competitive person I am, I was upset that there was nothing that could count your wins or skill level like there is in Mario Kart. Still, this game is a nice game to play occasionally, even without the ranking system.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Before anyone starts with "HURR DURR COD IS THE SAME", you need to look at Call of Duty 4. This game was the first in the series that broke away from the World War II (which WaW returned to), and brought the fight to modern-day Russia and the Middle East. The plot, while not very strong, did have its pluses and minuses, as well as its twists and turns. The biggest part of CoD4 however was its Multiplayer, which brought a whole new system to the Call of Duty series. It added the ranking system to earn levels and unlock guns, challenges which could earn camos for guns, as well as extra XP for ranking up. The CoD4 multiplayer always made you want to go back for more, and even today when I'm playing another FPS, they always make me wonder why I'm not playing CoD4 (until I remember hackers decided to take over the game.) Up until late last year, the CoD4 multiplayer was spectacular and kept you playing. This game, though past its prime now, was golden in the past.

Uno

Uno is the best. But playing it online with friends at 2 AM when you have no clue what the fuck is happening? Classic.

Sonic 2

I didn't want to put any Sonic games in here, but I will anyway.

Sonic 2 was a game that I could put into my Genesis 3 (because I broke my Genesis 1, mind you) and play it for hours as soon as I woke up. It had a certain vibe to it that struck into me as my favorite game ever created. Being the first Sonic game I ever played, it had a different feel to it than Sonic 3 did. I didn't get S3/K until 1998; We had Sonic 2 before I was even born. I can remember being 2 again and playing that game, even though I had no clue what I was doing. I'm not saying that Sonic 2 was superior to Sonic 3/K because in most ways it wasn't (although it had a MUCH better 2 player mode.) It had less levels, a good soundtrack that had plenty of great songs (Mystic Cave 1P was my hands-down favorite), and held an overall great impression on fans of the series. My overall favorite part was the special stages the game included, and I memorized all of the patterns. After sometime, I was able to get all 7 Chaos Emeralds in the first two acts of Emerald Hill Zone. But the one thing it did hold over Sonic 3/K was that it was more challenging. I remember when I was younger and always getting to Death Egg Zone, only to be defeated by the Giant Robotnik. Everytime I failed, it made me only want to complete the game even more. The difficulty of this game may go unnoticed, but compared to S3K, it can certainly be seen with ease.

Being my opinion, I think that Sonic 2 is the best Sonic game because of the nostalgia it holds whenever I play it. As much as I love S3K, the feeling I get from putting in S3K is certainly not the same as when I put in S2. I'm probably swayed by the fact that I got Sonic 2 first, but I still feel the same today when I play both games, I always want to play more of Sonic 2 than I do of S3K. Sonic 2 isn't technologically superior to its sequel, but the nostalgia it brings with it certainly is.

Sonic 3 (& Knuckles)

S3K's massive level amount makes for great replay ability, as well as countless paths to chose from. The music in the game is fantastic, as well as the level's design and theme. I always loved blasting through Hydrocity Zone listening to the beat of the music, or bouncing off mushrooms to the sound of Mushroom Hill Zone. The Bonus Stages added in helped in acquiring Shields, Rings, or even Extra Lives, which would make anyone happy. The new Special Stages were designed so that the possibilities of them were endless, and the 16 they selected for S3K seemed to fit the feel of the game altogether. Every time I transform into Hyper Sonic, a chill runs down my spine and I re.member why I always come back to play this game some more. Tails's flight ability, as well as Knuckles's strength and gliding abilities made way for new obstacles and different ways to complete the game than Sonic had. The bosses in the game were easy enough for a beginner to be able to versus, but not so easy that a veteran of the series would have a bore with them. Even debug mode being in the game made it interesting for those who liked to mess around with the game.

Somewhat generic choices but in no particular order:

Super Mario Galaxy 2: Well this is very easily the greatest, most intuitive platformer of all time. No amount of nostalgia for the old Mario games can blind me to that. It took me about 6 hours to complete the main storyline, but around 85 hours to 100% it. That Grandmaster Galaxy perfect run is easily the hardest challenge in any Mario game but it feels so good once you master it.

Zelda Majora's Mask: 0.0 not OoT? No way. I believe this game to be the pinnacle of the series for its engaging story, perfected world and dungeon design and its atmosphere. The time constraint/doomsday feeling is what really engaged me through it, and even though there were only half as many dungeons as OoT, there were tons more time-dependent sidequests which made you feel the characters. This is a true masterpiece.

Metroid Prime: 3D Metroid in first person and tons of exploration with an even deeper feeling of solitude on a doomed planet. Nuff said

Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Best of the classics and Sonic in general because of replay value, length, use of different characters etc.

Red Dead Redemption: best open-ended game I've played. World, secrets, missions, guns, DLC etc. All make it a blast to 100% including the Undead Nightmare

carbo you stole my series jerk

No More Heroes 2

Like Carbo said, what made No More Heroes 1 so completely good was everything EXCEPT for the gameplay. The story, the characters, everything was great.

Now imagine the gameplay was actually good.

No More Heroes 2 is exactly that. It takes everything that No More Heroes did badly and does it so much better. While at it's core, it's the same hack and slash gameplay, it's so much more refined it makes the first feel horrible. The combat is actually fun now, it's fluid and feels GOOD to play. The job system is now little 8-bit video games (except for one), and not only is it better, these are fun little bits to play just for the hell of it.

There's also the characters. While, honestly, most of them have actually very little time on screen (they all die, you see) they're all really super well done. Travis, especially near the middle of the game starts having some serious character development, getting progressively madder that he has to kill all these people, even eventually calling everyone (even the player) out on how fucking horrible they all are.

Really, for that and all the reasons Carbo stated NMH1 was great, this game still has more of an impact on me than most.

My other game is Sonic 2 but we all know why that's the best one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apart from the Sonic series?

-Megaman X series (especially 4,5 & 6, since I love Zero's gameplay)

-Final Fantasy VI & VIII (I could never play FFVII sadly, so I can't tell)

-Half Life series (w00t)

-Team Fortress 2 (I actually have to play it, and I want it so eagerly, to the point that I played Gang Garrison 2 O.O)

-Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3 (I didn't play 4 & 5, but I don't know...)

-Ace Attorney series (I first was skeptical about it, but after I started, they turned to be so addicting :F)

-999 (I read the comments about this game being so great, and it turned out to be like that)

-Chrono Cross (What can I say? I loved everything this game offered! And the music...the f****n music :D)

I dont have favourite game (beside Sonic series of course) but if I would choose game that really "changed" my life it would be Persona 3 Portable.

I am not great fan of JRPGs. But this game is magic. This plot and social links. I wad playing day and night just ti see next story event.

I recomend it to every gamer who like briliant Plots in games. Not only JRPGs fans.

I'm going to be awful and say James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing, for the PlayStation2.

Mostly because I'm a massive Bond fanboy. This was the first time a truly interactive Bond film was put together. Others had tried before and fallen short. GoldenEye 007, the untouchable classic, is actually pretty low down my list of Bond experiences. Great videogame, but lousy at capturing what Bond is all about (and the less said about that tank level in St. Petersburg, the better). When EA Games took over, they started with promise. Tomorrow Never Dies, on PSone, featured driving and skiing alongside the prerequisite running and gunning. But everybody whined that it wasn't a mindless first person shooter, so they took a step back, and several (admittedly decent) attempts later, they finally were brave enough to return to third person action/adventure.

Bruce Feirstein, scriptwriter on two previous Pierce Brosnan films, wrote an original storyline. A huge Hollywood cast were laser-scanned and recorded (the first time a true ensemble were used in videogames: before this, standalone cameo appearances were the most you could hope for in your licenced videogame). Brosnan himself was joined by Judi Dench, John Cleese, Willem Dafoe, Shannon Elizabeth, Heidi Klum, Misaki Ito and Mya, who also performed the title song, "Everything or Nothing". Richard Kiel also returned as classic villain Jaws. Sean Callery wrote and performend a brilliant original score to accompany the extensive cutscenes and levels.

Shooting was made fluid and accessible right away, with the option to point-and-click fire accompanied by an optional "fine aim" mode for those wanting slightly more accurate bullets to enter specific parts of a goon's face. For the first time ever, though, Bond could holster his P99 and engage in proper hand-to-hand combat, with a wide variety of punches, kicks, counters and throws available. It felt, and still feels, absolutely fantastic. When compared to today's videogames (which literally say "Press X to Kick" and let you watch the resulting combo) the level of interactivity and control is remarkable. I still remember the first time I visited the Kiss Kiss Club in the videogame. Bond stands centre stage as ten guards, armed with crowbars, pour out and attack. In one of the greatest moments in my gaming history, I picked up a wine bottle, threw it at the crowd and promptly got into a massive brawl. Heads were slammed into tables, crowbars were stolen and used against their owners... until only one remained. Out came Bond's silenced pistol and I managed to execute a smooth headshot. I truly felt like James Bond.

And that was only half of the experience. Previously I'd flown a helicopter through Egypt's Valley of the Kings, riden a flamethrowing Triumph Daytona 600 motorcycle, crashed a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and hijacked a truck with an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish. The gadgets on offer, too, were imaginative and outlandish. In both driving and shooting levels, remote control scouts help trigger traps or gain access to rooms (one a small RC car armed with a laser; the other a robotic spider that fires toxic darts into people's shins). Even the standard cross-section of grenades were disguised as British currency from Bond's wallet. The production design easily matched the biggest of Bond's films.

Wrap it all up in silky-smooth graphics, add a fantastic multiplayer mode that added to Bond's single-player storyline (and showed what other MI6 agents do to help save the day, providing great depth to the plot) and finish with a wealth of behind-the-scenes concept art (displayed in both a menu and in a fully interactive art gallery level) and you, sir, have the greatest Bond videogame ever made.

Many come oh-so-close, including a certain hedgehog on multiple occasions, but none have beaten this as my favourite videogame.

That could change come Sonic Generations, though...!

Now you gone and done it. I can't pick less than 10 favorites. Hell it's probably difficult for me to pick less than 25 favorites. I'll try and not go that far though. To save space, I'll pick one game out of a series, and maybe talk about why I prefer it over the rest of the series. Otherwise I would end up listing like, 3 mario games, 3 sonic games, and 3 Zelda games. Keep in mind, I'm not calling out the games I end up down-talking as bad games. I'm just listing reasosn why they aren't my favorite in the series... unless otherwise stated.

Massive Walls of text I don't actually expect anyone to read incoming.

Super Mario Bros 3

71039_195033854613_6716424_n.jpg

Side Scrolling platformers are, and always will be, my favorite genre of game. And no other series has done it better than this game in particular. Loads of powerups, great level designs, wonderful worlds each with their own quirks.

I don't play this one as often as the original, but that's only because the original is just easier to pick up and speed through. It feels good to play, but it's not nearly as awesome as a full playthrough of SMB3 And I mean full, you dirty whistle blowers!

Super Mario world is nice, I definitely prefer the cape to the Tail, but the level designs aren't nearly as fun to play through as the ones in SMB3. And it may be a good thing to some, but I feel like it takes too long to play. I can sit and beat SMB3 in a few hours, but with SMW, I feel like taking a break after just two castles.

Super Mario 64 threw away everything that was familiar with Mario other than a few enemies and chararacters, and Sunshine did the same, this time, throwing out all the enemies,don't try and hand me that "There were boo's" crap. Those were abominations..The Galaxy games were a nice step in the right direction, but the action isn't as fluid as the 2D games.

New Super Mario Bros controls like a dream... but it has the same problems Super Mario World had, but with less cool power ups, and a non-permanant Yoshi.

Super Mario 3DS really looks like it may be able to top SMB3 for me, but I have my doubts. If they were to remake this game with WarioLand Shake-it's graphics, and the Wall Jump and Ground Pound from NSMBW with simultaneous multiplayer And the Mario Bros. competitive battles, it would be the perfect Mario game.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Zelda_Ocarina_of_Time_by_XxHELLonEARTHxX.jpg

I play this game probabably every year, sometimes twice. Too my horror, a recent successfully completed 3-heart challenge made me aware of how the game was not nearly as difficult as I remember it ( but that Water Temple is still a bitch. ) Maybe I'm just wearing nostalgia goggles, but I love the temples in this one, and the characters are all great, even some of the less important NPC's in the towns are bursting with charm that you don't see in the other two games ( not counting Majora's mask, since most of the characters returned in some form.)

y apMajora's Mask has some wonderfully designed sidequests that are a joy to fufill over and over again, but dungeons will, and always will be, the meat of the Zelda games. And Majora's Mask dungeons are ridiculously long, despite being only 4, I find it unbearable to play through more than one in a day, when on a good day, I could get all three spiritual stones in OoT in a day.

The NES and SNES games are great, but it's too easy to get lost in them, and sometimes the difficulty is nightmarish. Oh god, that butterfly in the SNES game. Despite this, Link to the Past was what got me interested in Zelda, and Link's Awakening was the first one I came close to finishing.

WindWaker had beautiful graphics...Toon Link was a cutie pie, and Ganondorf actually seemed to have more to him than meets the eye, and the combat was thrilling ( if you didn't abuse the parry. And my god, they actually develop a fear of bombs if they survive an explosion! ) But ohhhh god the sailing! And all that cut content leading up to the triforce fetch quest... a ton of boring characters... these things really hurt the game.

Twilight Princess had an awesome field, that eventually got some pretty tough enemies wandering through it. The combat was just as good as windwaker, and some of the dungeons weren't too shabby. But the sound track was an assult on the ears, and the wolf segments were torture... Also the story really sory of got in the way of the game. You guys complain about Navi, but as much as I love Midna, she actually stops the action far more than Navi ever did, and so did those damnable twilight messangers.

Seems Skyward Sword is looking great, but I have doubts it's going to top ocarina of time, especially if it takes the two worst parts of the last two games, Sailing ( in the form of flying on birds ) and the twilight world ( I forget what they called it in this new game, but the tears of light are back! )

I know they already remade OoT, and I can't wait to play it once I get a 3DS. But if I could change one thing about this masterpiece, It would be to change the block pushing segments to one fluid motion instead of inching them, and to fill the field with enemies other than stalchilds and poes. Little nit pick, but I'd also use the legend of Zelda theme for outdoor battles, instead of that weird little oboe number they used. Similar to the Melee/Soul Calibur II version.

Link is the sexiest game character ever.

Banjo Tooie

Banjotooie.jpg

Now I may get some flak for preferring this game over the original game, but those people can bite me. I had months of fun with Super Mario 64, and Banjo Kazooie took what SM64 made and cranked it up to 11 with more things to collect, and a more impressive arsenal of moves. In addition it didn't boot you out of the level upon completing your goal, so you could move on to collecting the next Jigsaw piece. And then Banjo Tooie took what Banjo Kazooie made and cranked THAT up to eleven. I am shocked that this game didn't require an expansion pack. Everything was bigger, the levels, the bosses, the story, and there were even more moves to learn, the bear and bird could split up, and even the Shaman Mumbo got some playable action.

Some people complain that the collect-a-thon style gameplay was a bore, but I don't see any problem with hunting down these items, other than a little bit of irritation when you don't have the proper power up or ability to get it. The music, and the sense of humor in these game was great, I especially liked how the music changed to suit the mood. I think I may have spent a year completing this one as a kid... emphasis on the may. It seemed like an eternity when I was a kid.

They never remade these games, other than some slightly revamped rereleases on Xbox live, but nothing really changed. I don't know how I'd react to a remake... the odd sound s and jaggy graphics were part of the experience. It's too bad they never made a Banjo-Kazooie game since then

LittleBIG Planet 2

feature-littlebigplanet2.jpg

If it weren't for the original Little Big Planet, I probably wouldn't own a PS3. It was a fairly unique side scrolling platformer, if you remember, that's my favorite genre. And you could create your own costumes if you were creative enough. I love me some cusomization... and when you add stickers and decorations to yourself, you can make even crazier costumes than what is expected. And thanks to the ability to create, and publish your own levels, the replayability is literally endless. The second installment took the original and did everything better, adding real characters to the story mode, and more complex level creating tools.

The real thing that pains me about this game is the lack of quality control... somehow the really good levels tend to get buried by the mediocre ones, and the online community is full of annoying kids. They beg for hearts, they run ahead, they ask you to be their girlfriends/boyfriends, they immediately stop playing online levels as soon as you get back to the pod, to go into create mode telling you not to touch anything, or they quit a level at the slightest hint of difficulty... it's just so painful to not have cool people to play the game with.

Pokemon Fire Red

I'll admit it. My love for this game stems purely for nostalgia. The only thing keeping me from playing the original Pokemon Red is the lack of a run button, and the inability to communicate with the DS. It's the world of pokemon I know best. The fact that the Anime was just starting to air when I bought this game sort of fueled my love of the game. It also helped that my friend actually played too, and traded and battled with me, while today, nobody wants to do either.

I'd pick Gold or Silver as my favorite pokemon, but there's one problem, Johto is in it. I got to admit, as a kid, I wasn't enjoying the game nearly as much as I did with red and blue... and then I got to Kanto... and it was as if I was home again. I even had all my old friends too, since Pokemon Stadium 2 allowed me to bring all my bros to gen 2, no strings attached. I rarely went back to Johto. It's too bad the fan art community get their impression of Red from the in-game sprite of him in this game and not the proper Red/Blue official artwork.

I'm going to come out with the super common complaints of the new games: R/S has too much water, and lame new pokemon. Diamond and Pearl's map is too confusing, and there is a very small selection of new pokemon, and most of them are new forms of existing pokemon. Black and White is great though, all new pokemon, great story and characters... but it's all too familiar. Normally I am the last person on earth that would complain about a game being similar to it's predecessor... but I don't know what else to say. It especially doesn't make sense when you consider my love for pokemon red is fueled by nostalgia. Despite that, I replayed Fire Red twice in the last year.

Game's been remade. And it's a great remake, but the added content is too heavy on the water for me. The only thing that would have made the remake better is the gameboy sound feature from HG/SS, and if the sprites looked like this:

1304807001218.jpg

Of course a re-imagining where Team Rocket does more than stand around staring into space, and the gym leaders actully get involved with whatever is wrong in town, and actually seeing what goes down with Mewtwo and the Pokemon Mansion, would be sweet. In b4 "Remakes are bad and you should feel bad"

Sonic the Hedgehog

Obviously there'd need to be at least one Sonic game in my list, or I wouldn't be here. Sonic the Hedgehog is a side Scrolling platformer... my favorite genre, and one of the few that control just as dreamily as the Mario games comparison haters can stuff it. Both games were quality titles in an age where their quality was hard to mimic. I used to dislike the original game for a stupid reason: No Tails. But now I realise that Sonic 1 is heavy on the platforming with short segments of speed in it, which is how I like it. I feel like a tool for even saying it, but the thing that attracted me to the game in the first place was that I thought Sonic looked cool.

I almost prefer the Master system version of the game, but the water level is even more unbearable in the MS version... Sonic 2 feels like it tried to make things move a little too fast, and I didn't care for the level design as much. I love Sonic 3&K, but too many of the levels aren't very pleasant, like the Carnival Night, Marble Garden, and all of the Sonic & Knuckles portion after Flying Battery Zone.

I...think Sonic Adventure 2 is tied for Sonic 1 in my favorites... im tired. it's late. I don't want to get into it. Just sling the nostalgia goggles accusations at me if you want, but Sonic hasn't blown me away since that game, aside from Advanced, Sonic 4, and Sonic Colors. They have rereleased Sonic 1 many many many times...but never remade. I don't want to say my opinion on how I'd like it to be remade. You people would kill me.

WarioWare. Inc, Mega Microgame$

gba-used-wario-ware-inc-mega-microgames__16218_std.jpg

Normally, when you mention mini game compilations, I tend to curl my lip in disgust. But for some reason, when the minigames are free flowing, five seconds or less long games that don't end until you mess up four times, it's a very addictive and fun experience. It helps that the minigames can be literally anything, and is not limited to what four mascot characters are capable of doing. And the inclusion of the nine-volt character is very pleasing to nerdy Nintendo fans.

Nothing says pick up a and play like this title. The Wii title is fun, but a little more complicated than it needs to be, especially when they take the time to explain your "formation" before the next microgame can start. I haven't played twisted or DIY. But the DS game is almsot as fun as the GBA one... the problem is that it suffers from the lack of randomization. Every time you play, the games come at you in the same order... that bothers me.

Metal Gear Solid 3

I'm so tired. Lazy explanations time.

The only thing that's lame about this one is the fact that you have to patch yourself up every few minutes with your medicl kit. Story, and gameplay, best in the series. It's being remade for 3DS, but im actually not going to get it. It really didn't need a graphical facelift, and Snake looks off. Doubting it's going to have many new features. Whatever. I skip straight to the Raikov segment in the peep show.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Ark_man_asylumbatsjokergordon.jpg

Because it's the goddamned batman being godamned amazing, and im a goddamned batman fanboy. Disgusting fact: I wouldn't enjoy this game nearly as much if Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamil weren't voicing their respective characters.

Skies of Arcadia Legends

Ok so, I was caught up in the Pirates Craze ( not actually started by Pirates of the Carribean's first movie mind you, but from Windwaker... still watched the Pirates films though. ) and I asked the store clerk: "Got any games about pirates?" ...he sugguested this gem. I remembered my friend saying something about it... so on impulse, I went ahead and got it. Im not much of an RPG person, really im not, but this ended up being one of the best games I had ever played, it's really oldschool though, purely turn based. The characters were all full of life and put smiles on my face, even if some of them were a little one dimensional One dimentional is actually underrated among the forum dwelling crowd.

Honorable Mention

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Okage

Viewtiful Joe

EarthBound

Pikmin

Do Re Mi Fantasy: Milon's Quest

Metroid Prime 1

Dark Cloud

Kirby's SuperStar Ultra

Wario World

F-Zero X

Starfox 64

Donkey Kong Country

TMNT: Turtles in Time

Punch Out!! Wii

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Pokemon Snap

Final Fantasy 1 GBA version

Yoshi's Island

oh god I hate myself

• Thumbs Up 2

Kingdom_Hearts_II_(PS2).jpg

Kingdom Hearts 2

I was surprised and wondered how a game with Disney characters would mix with FF and when I saw this game I had to have it. I stayed up all night playing it and loved how different it felt compared to other games. Up to this day I never had a game with the same feel as this one. The gameplay itself was even new to me and I loved every second of it.

Up to this day I await when KH3 would hit the shelves but no news of it yet sadly....

Super Mario Galaxy

Final Fantasy IX

Shenmue 2

Sonic 3&Knuckles

I was just hooked on these game till I beat em'. Yeah I know horribly lazy explonations.

Heres my top five.

5. Halo 2.

4. Sonic Adventure 2.

3. Minecraft.

2. Oblivion.

1. Every Valve game.

Edited by Robogaman

Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Not especially original, but it's the game I've played through more times than any other in my life. I'm actually a little sick of it by now, but for the life of me I can't think of a single other game that's had that much impact on me.

• 11 months later...

Ratchet_%26_Clank_Future-_A_Crack_in_Time.jpg

This game. This game. It made everything I loved about the Ratchet & Clank series, 100 times better. Everything in this game is just DONE RIGHT. Two interesting styles of gameplay between Ratchet & Clank, the amazing story, great soundtrack, visuals, the vast variety of weapons, writing, characterization. EVERYTHING.

You know, I have a lot of favorite games:

Super Mario 64 (First Mario game I played)

Sonic CD (had a nice experience and still love it)

Mega Man 3 (Most balanced Mega Man game, IMO)

A Link to the Past (Freaking amazing SNES title)

Banjo-Kazooie (Music, and even better than SM64)

Marvel VS Capcom 2 (Kick ass fighting game)

Kirby's Adventure (First NES game I beat, and got me into Kirby)

It's a hard choice...

-Sonic 3 & Knuckles:This one for me is easily the best of the saga

-Half Life series: A friend in school told me about this game. He lend me to try it, and I practically fell in love with it. The story of this series is one of the best out there.

-Blood: I've never saw many people talk about this game. The main character Caleb was awesome. I swear that this game was even more gorey and violent than Doom. This game got a sequel but never played it.

-Ace Attorney series: I first saw all the internet fad with the "Objection" all over. I then tried the game to see how it was. And it was something new and actually interesting.

-Final Fantasy VI: Of all the FF I played, this one by far one of my most liked. It also has one of the greatest and twisted villians I met.

-Chrono Cross: Screw opinions! I liked this RPG more than it's predecessor. And the OST is boss!

Edited by Non-Specific Vec Figure

• 2 years later...

At the moment, Freedom Planet is making a very strong push for the #1 spot.

Freedom_Planet_01.jpg

sonic_s_retirement_by_goshaag-d601quq.jp

It's definitely up there with Chrono Trigger and BioShock Infinite, which are my #2 and #1, respectively.

I find the challenging but never unfair gameplay to be great - it can get pretty difficult for me at times, but it never feels like I'm being cheated to extend gameplay time. I also find the fast past platforming similar to classic Sonic games to be really great - I'll go out on a limb and say that if you like 2D Sonic, you'll like this game as well. They play very, very similarly, and the fact it drew inspiration from 2D Sonic is very clear. It still manages to feel different in some areas, though, such as level length and level size. It'll take longer than a minute or two to complete a stage, but it still manages to be fast paced and addicting nonetheless.

The story is also something I find very enjoyable, as I find myself growing to care about these characters and what becomes of them to the point where I'll die 50 times and keep on fighting because I want to complete this journey. I want to see what happens, and I have motivation to do so via the story. In a game like this, that's what is most important. The only gripe about the story that I have is that the cutscenes can be rather lengthy, but you can just play classic mode and skip those all together if you please, or if you started on adventure mode and don't want to sit through the cutscenes, just pause it and hit "next stage." Takes you right past it.

Lastly, the soundtrack is just a complete stroke of genius. And I mean that in every way - it's perfect. When I first signed up for this site a couple of weeks back, I was locked in a constant debate with myself about what my favorite videogame soundtrack of all time was. Then I picked up this game, however, and it stole the show in a heartbeat. I never thought anything would come close to games like Cave Story or Chrono Trigger for me, but when I listened to this soundtrack, I knew it was miles ahead of all the soundtracks I had once thought had a shot at being my favorite. There's so much passion, energy, and emotion in it that it really fits the gameplay perfectly on top of sounding damn good as a standalone to boot. Even with games like the two I mentioned, I didn't listen to every track regularly. This is one where I can listen to literally every track and feel like I'm going on a journey. It makes me imagine things and places that don't even have to do with the game, and I really think that if you're just a fan of music in general you should give it a listen. It's really, really beautiful.

So yeahh. I'm going to have to give this the nod over BioShock Infinite as my favorite game of all time, honestly. I love it too much for it to be anything but.

My favourite games by genre:

Platformer: Crash Bandicoot 3

FPS: Bioshock Infinite

RPG: Fallout New Vegas

Action-adventure: Uncharted 2

Open World: Grand Theft Auto 5

Fighting: Tekken 2

Racing: Crash Team Racing

Strategy: Age of Empires (with Rise of Rome)

Other genres: Stanley Parable

I want to say Bloodborne, but it might be the hype 'cause it's so recent. Either way it's down to that or Demon's Souls. Hidetaka Miyazaki is a genius.