Awoo.

Is Sega intentionally shipteasing us?

batson

You people are mad. It is common knowledge that the only one allowed to buff Caliburn's blade was the Blacksmith. Sonic was just an errand boy to bring the two together.

• Thumbs Up 4

Actually, since we're on the subject of Black Knight, since the whole game

was apparently a storybook Sonic tried to read to Amy to get out of a date

, wouldn't that that mean it wouldn't really affect any relationships he had?

Unless he's actually self-inserting himself and his friends into the book as he goes. Urgh, now my head hurts.

@redmenace: I found that pic you posted to be very adorable, even though I should be disturbed.^^

But anyways...

So she's strong physically, but weak emotionally. Like a foil to Amy / Cream, who are both weak physically but strong emotionally. I can live with that.

My point was, I really can't see characters changing themselves for others. No one can change if they don't make the decision themselves. I can see Blaze going down this road. Clearly the path she had choosen until then was not working... Mhmm... but we fall again in the same thing as before... This has happened to Shadow as well. There's no difference, besides one admiting it out load and the other not.

I'm glad we're mostly on the same page, but I'd have to disagree somewhat with the point about Blaze and Shadow.

The way I see it, Shadow has grown positively thanks to Sonic, and has a great respect for Sonic. However, in Shadow's case,we don't see the kind of open desire to be around Sonic that Blaze has.

What I'm referring to is the end of the first Rush...When Blaze is about to be transported back to her world, she reaches out her hand towards Sonic, as if she wishes she could touch him one last time.

Admittedly, that gesture is very vague, but what happens afterwords is more blatant. Blaze, as she flies back home, thinks about the advice that Sonic gave her in an earlier, off screen conversation. As Blaze realizes that as long as she knows how to use her emeralds, she can visit Sonic without danger, she smiles to herself, remarking "I'll see you again."

The "flying home" scene is especially striking, given that all this happens while Blaze is by herself, without anyone to bear witness to her thoughts. We're seeing her at her most honest.

• Thumbs Up 1

As the topic starter (and therefore supreme ruler of this thread) my final verdict concering the issue of "is Sega intentionally shipteasing us with Sonic X Blaze" is...

...that i should really just watch the Rush and Rush Adventure cutscenes on youtube or something and decide for myself what to think. :P

As the topic starter (and therefore supreme ruler of this thread) my final verdict concering the issue of "is Sega intentionally shipteasing us with Sonic X Blaze" is...

...that i should really just watch the Rush and Rush Adventure cutscenes on youtube or something and decide for myself what to think. :P

You could stop being a cheapass and buy / play the game yourself?

I find this tends to help with the understandings.

@redmenace: I found that pic you posted to be very adorable, even though I should be disturbed.^^

But anyways...

I'm glad we're mostly on the same page, but I'd have to disagree somewhat with the point about Blaze and Shadow.

The way I see it, Shadow has grown positively thanks to Sonic, and has a great respect for Sonic. However, in Shadow's case,we don't see the kind of open desire to be around Sonic that Blaze has.

What I'm referring to is the end of the first Rush...When Blaze is about to be transported back to her world, she reaches out her hand towards Sonic, as if she wishes she could touch him one last time.

Admittedly, that gesture is very vague, but what happens afterwords is more blatant. Blaze, as she flies back home, thinks about the advice that Sonic gave her in an earlier, off screen conversation. As Blaze realizes that as long as she knows how to use her emeralds, she can visit Sonic without danger, she smiles to herself, remarking "I'll see you again."

The "flying home" scene is especially striking, given that all this happens while Blaze is by herself, without anyone to bear witness to her thoughts. We're seeing her at her most honest.

Well, that's where they diverge, in the way they dealt with their "conversion". I tried to explain it before, but I suppose it did not get through. I'll try a final stab at it.

Shadow is like a recluse who doesn't care about being around anyone else. It says a lot when one of the two people he trusts the most is a robot. It also helps that Shadow knew what friendly proximity was in the first place (Maria), and right now doesn't need or want, even scared shitless of it, whatever the reason.

This is where the Knuckles comparison kicks in, since it’s not just because they’re guardians and bound to responsibilities. Prior to S&K he had no friends either. Knuckles’ characterization is inconsistent though. He seems bothered by his loneliness but has come into terms with it in SA, yet runs away to have adventures at the minimum excuse (whichever else).

The way she dealt with it was the only major difference. I suppose it’s good, because it sets her (somewhat) apart, yet her character ends up being resolved.

Also… It helps that we see Blaze’s acknowledging that Sonic changed her. Shadow and Knuckles neither really cared to have deep thoughts about it, which is a shame. Knuckles had a lot of feeling potential there: admiration, honour duty, oblligation, thankfulness, resentment, shame... All neatly tied. It's a kids' franchise though, I don't expect it at all.

I like that final scene, but to be honest, I find no romantic ties there. To be even more honest, I think it would be quite shoddy, vulgar and meaningless. To me friendship > love in most fiction, and Sonic is no exception. Her feelings of changing and whatnot would be just because she has the hots for the hedgehog and that would be not as strong as friendship.

That's why I get prissy about Blaze and Sonic romantic involved. I can't help but thinking that if she was a male, many of the so called hints wouldn't be so looked at (at least outside of the yaoi fandom).

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's why I get prissy about Blaze and Sonic romantic involved. I can't help but thinking that if she was a male, many of the so called hints wouldn't be so looked at (at least outside of the yaoi fandom).

Isn't that true about any pairing though? God knows I don't even try to look for connections between Sonic and Tails, and the same would stand true if Rouge or Amy decided to swap genders on us.

Plus the same works in reverse. If Shadow was a girl, he would clearly be playing hard to get.

Saying things would be different under a drastically different circumstance doesn't really change much.

I seriously didn't need those mental images *shudder*.....

I'd agree that Blaze has similarities in her development to Shadow and Knuckles, in the sense that all three have the same basic arc of being a distant loner who learns about friendship. I'd also agree that Shads and Knux could use more development in that area.

On the other hand, though, I'd say that Blaze is different from Shadow and Knuckles in that she becomes attached to people she encounters in a very deep way. As far as I know, this extends to Sonic, Cream, and Marine...I'd say that the question of "Is Blaze romantically interested in Sonic?" comes up because her attachment to Sonic has been the most elaborated upon at this point.

I'll acknowledge that Blaze's attachment to Sonic doesn't have to imply romance. But Blaze is so needy and awkward, I'm not surprised that people became suspicious. The case would likely be the same if she were a boy, because that's just who Blaze is...An awkward person with a deep need for affection, but who isn't sure how to deal with that need realistically.

Isn't that true about any pairing though? God knows I don't even try to look for connections between Sonic and Tails, and the same would stand true if Rouge or Amy decided to swap genders on us.

Plus the same works in reverse. If Shadow was a girl, he would clearly be playing hard to get.

Saying things would be different under a drastically different circumstance doesn't really change much.

I seriously didn't need those mental images *shudder*.....

I doubt any of Amy's speech towards Sonic could be taken other way than romantic, no matter what gender she is. Rouge is very flirty towards Knuckles in SA2. If she was a male, she'd be flirty anyway.

Everyone can laugh at the improper lyrics of Tails' theme in the adventure series for example. Do they mean anything besides friendship? No. Or at least, I hope not.

Shadow isn't playing hard to get, he just wants to kill everyone in SA2. He means it as well.

I'd agree that Blaze has similarities in her development to Shadow and Knuckles, in the sense that all three have the same basic arc of being a distant loner who learns about friendship. I'd also agree that Shads and Knux could use more development in that area.

On the other hand, though, I'd say that Blaze is different from Shadow and Knuckles in that she becomes attached to people she encounters in a very deep way. As far as I know, this extends to Sonic, Cream, and Marine...I'd say that the question of "Is Blaze romantically interested in Sonic?" comes up because her attachment to Sonic has been the most elaborated upon at this point.

I'll acknowledge that Blaze's attachment to Sonic doesn't have to imply romance. But Blaze is so needy and awkward, I'm not surprised that people became suspicious. The case would likely be the same if she were a boy, because that's just who Blaze is...An awkward person with a deep need for affection, but who isn't sure how to deal with that need realistically.

Yes, I agree. I can't help but hate when romantic feelings between those two are hinted though. It's cheap.

I doubt any of Amy's speech towards Sonic could be taken other way than romantic, no matter what gender she is. Rouge is very flirty towards Knuckles in SA2. If she was a male, she'd be flirty anyway.

Everyone can laugh at the improper lyrics of Tails' theme in the adventure series for example. Do they mean anything besides friendship? No. Or at least, I hope not.

Shadow isn't playing hard to get, he just wants to kill everyone in SA2. He means it as well.

Yes, I agree. I can't help but hate when romantic feelings between those two are hinted though. It's cheap.

I think you're all overcompensating here a bit. I've played Sonic Rush before and haven't seen anything to suggest that Sonic and Blaze are romantically involved I think it's a just a pipe dream that SonicXBlaze fans want to indulge in. In SA2 and to some extent two episodes of Sonic X, Rouge flirts a little with Knuckles. But there isn't another game where she does this. In fact SA2 is the only game that suggest RougeXKnux shipping. This formlua completely dissapears in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle.

In both of those games, Rouge's gameplay mechanics are switched around to being more like Miles Prower, in Sonic Battle she flirts openly with Tails. And of course in Sonic X episode 32 she kisses him during a battle!

So what does that do? That makes me more of a MilesXRouge shipper. But knowning SEGA, I don't consider it highly likely that there will be anything short of romance between the two, but I do think that Rouge will be more like Tails from now on and that Sega will eventually both drop the "Tails" nickname and change his official age to 12.

I dream of RougeXTails shipping in future Sonic games, but I know it's not likely at all regaurdless of who understands shota or not. That's why it's okay to have a pipe dream about it(I'm thankful that there are now at least more MilesXRouge fan fics then the previous generation , SonicXBlaze will never happen, but the fans want to dream about it. That's fine. But there's a line that needs to be drawn on what's not obvious at all, no matter how you look at it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

...and that Sega will eventually both drop the "Tails" nickname...

:mellow:

You've gotta be kidding me. You can't seriously believe that Sega will start calling Tails, after 17 years, "Miles". Do you?

:mellow:

You've gotta be kidding me. You can't seriously believe that Sega will start calling Tails, after 17 years, "Miles". Do you?

The name has gotten a bad reputation for several years now. In 2006 there was a harsh article on somethingawful about Tails' fans. Also there's a popluar myth among some people that SEGA originally intended for him to be a girl which has created the yaoi pairings and gender confusion with his name. That's not true at all. Ray The Sqiurrel from SegaSonic arcade was originally intended to be Sonic's sidekick in Sonic 2 and Yasushi Yamaguchi hated the name "Tails".

• Bad Quality Post 1

I'm glad that we're finding some common ground, even if we don't perhaps see entirely eye to eye.^_^

My stance on fictional relationships is that a bad one does not have a strong friendship as its foundation, while a good one is just an extension of an existing friendship.

In other words, to me, proper development is important. Let's say, for example, that Tails was old enough to be in a romantic relationship, and that he developed feelings for Sonic.

If this leads to Sonic and Tails hugging and kissing all the time, and no other interaction, than it would cheap, out of place, and irritating. However, if Sonic and Tails continue to treat each other as they always have, just with the romance angle included, it doesn't feel so forced and may even be quite charming.

That's basically what I envision as potentially happening with Blaze and Sonic. Like pretty much any relationship, it will probably never be part of canon, but I can see Blaze and Sonic advancing towards a romance in a sensible, fulfilling way from their past interactions.

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Uhhhh...so? You can't change (yes, I know it's not actually changing) the name a character as popular as Tails after 17 years. You can't. Can not. I can't imagine how you think that Sega will.

In regards to Miles Prower's name: I'm of two minds about it and feel that both names have pros and cons. On the one hand "Tails" sounds a bit friendlier in that it's a nickname. On the other hand, if you look at it from a different angle it sounds like an awkward "codename" more than a real name, kind of like if Amy's name were "Mallet" based on her special ability.

I'm guessing that Sega probably wanted to keep "Tails" due to it being easier for people to remember. Whether or not the nickname still fits the story is up to debate, I would wager.

I really wish that Professor Pickle had used Tails' proper name in Unleashed. It'd be interesting to see him using Tails among his close friends and while doing the crime-fighting thing but Miles in more professional situations. I do think it's too late to change it back, though, and I'm not too concerned either way. Best to avoid another Eggman/Robotnik divide and maintain the status quo.

I get what redmenace is saying here. It's a bit uncomfortable to always have a romantic connection implied between two friends of opposite genders. I know plenty of girls who I don't have any romantic interest in, for my part, including my best friend. Maybe that's just unusual.

I don't have a problem with Sonic/Blaze in particular, mind, it's just... not everything has to be romantic, y'know? It's the same reason I'm not exceptionally fond of Shadow/Rouge.

Edited by Octarine

I think you're all overcompensating here a bit. I've played Sonic Rush before and haven't seen anything to suggest that Sonic and Blaze are romantically involved I think it's a just a pipe dream that SonicXBlaze fans want to indulge in. In SA2 and to some extent two episodes of Sonic X, Rouge flirts a little with Knuckles. But there isn't another game where she does this. In fact SA2 is the only game that suggest RougeXKnux shipping. This formlua completely dissapears in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Battle.

In both of those games, Rouge's gameplay mechanics are switched around to being more like Miles Prower, in Sonic Battle she flirts openly with Tails. And of course in Sonic X episode 32 she kisses him during a battle!

So what does that do? That makes me more of a MilesXRouge shipper. But knowning SEGA, I don't consider it highly likely that there will be anything short of romance between the two, but I do think that Rouge will be more like Tails from now on and that Sega will eventually both drop the "Tails" nickname and change his official age to 12.

I dream of RougeXTails shipping in future Sonic games, but I know it's not likely at all regaurdless of who understands shota or not. That's why it's okay to have a pipe dream about it(I'm thankful that there are now at least more MilesXRouge fan fics then the previous generation , SonicXBlaze will never happen, but the fans want to dream about it. That's fine. But there's a line that needs to be drawn on what's not obvious at all, no matter how you look at it.

Ah my point wasn't Rouge likes Knuckles because she flirted with him. My point was that her flirting pairs her up with the other who she’s doing it and that’s exactly the author’s intention. It would not change if she was a male flirting with every skirt around. The same with her flirting with Tails. The authors were aiming for that.

The same can be applied to Amy. Her displays of affection towards Sonic pairs her up with Sonic (no matter HIS opinion on the matter) and that’s the author’s intention as well. If she was a male displaying this behavior towards Sonic, she’d still get paired up with him, because that’s why that behavior is there for.

Blaze’s behavior on the other hand, is ambiguous. One cannot say, for sure what the author’s intention was. Is t friendship or love? I prefer the former because the noun “friendship” gets thrown around a lot and it’s cheap to think it’s love.

That was what I was trying to say.

My stance on fictional relationships is that a bad one does not have a strong friendship as its foundation, while a good one is just an extension of an existing friendship.

Exacly, I believe in the same, but that’s the gist of it. Blaze and Sonic became friends and that’s it, there wasn’t more development. Rush led to Rush Adventure, where the relationship started the same as it ended (friendship), Sonic 06 had no interaction between the two, Black Knight does not count because Percival is not Blaze (and Sonic brushes off Caliburn's comment quite easily). Besides, Blaze vowed to change because of of friendship, not because of love at first sight (if it ever existed). I know the latter can happen, but it undermines the character. To me it’s cheap. If the relationship was developed, then why not, but that’s not what we had at all.

That's basically what I envision as potentially happening with Blaze and Sonic. Like pretty much any relationship, it will probably never be part of canon, but I can see Blaze and Sonic advancing towards a romance in a sensible, fulfilling way from their past interactions.

I can’t envision them doing a love triangle so blatant like that. Rouge is naturally a flirty character, she's allowed to flirt with everything that breathes. Sonic on the other hand, is never interested in the opposite gender besides (maybe) Elise (and that never happened) and the date with Amy. So what, he's leading Amy on? Amy's feelings on the other hand, are really blatant as well. Is a kid's franchise really going that far as to crush her heart like that? To be honest, I prefer romantic crap OUT of the Sonic franchise if it's going to lead to this kind of drama, or at least, as uncomplicated as it is right now.

I get what redmenace is saying here. It's a bit uncomfortable to always have a romantic connection implied between two friends of opposite genders. I know plenty of girls who I don't have any romantic interest in, for my part, including my best friend. Maybe that's just unusual. I don't have a problem with Sonic/Blaze in particular, mind, it's just... not everything has to be romantic, y'know? It's the same reason I'm not exceptionally fond of Shadow/Rouge.

Ah, this as well. I don’t like Shadow/Rouge much exactly for the same reasons. I could accept it far more than Sonic/Blaze at this point though, because their friendship is really deep and they’ve been together and through a lot for awhile. It'll still be bitter though.

About Tails' name, wasn't Miles the name of the satelite he had? MILESELECTRIC appeared at the right corner of the screen for the world map.

Edited by redmenace

Rather than continue the argument, I should note this observation - Sonic and Tails are clearly the fandom's bicycles.

It boggles me how Tails, an 8-year-old kid, manages to somehow be the fandom slut x.o I can see why people might pair Sonic with anyone, since he's a teen and probably perpetually horny (even though I personally can't stand pairing characters with more than one person). But Tails? Why the assumption that he's a li'l boy-whore? ;_; What did he ever do besides being cute? (Also he seems to have the power to turn people gay - just an observation from my time as an admin at TTR >.>)

It boggles me how Tails, an 8-year-old kid, manages to somehow be the fandom slut x.o I can see why people might pair Sonic with anyone, since he's a teen and probably perpetually horny (even though I personally can't stand pairing characters with more than one person). But Tails? Why the assumption that he's a li'l boy-whore? ;_; What did he ever do besides being cute?

It's probably the way he follows Sonic around just as much as Amy does.^_~

Well, I can see why people might pair him with Sonic. He could easily be seen as obsessed with Sonic almost as much as Amy, admittedly, especially before his whole seeking independence thing. But even more reason why it's odd that he's paired with EVERYONE, often more than one at a time x.o I don't think there's ever been any hint that Tails has any interest in ANYONE that way. He's only 8 in game canon after all ^^;

Well, I can see why people might pair him with Sonic. He could easily be seen as obsessed with Sonic almost as much as Amy, admittedly, especially before his whole seeking independence thing. But even more reason why it's odd that he's paired with EVERYONE, often more than one at a time x.o I don't think there's ever been any hint that Tails has any interest in ANYONE that way. He's only 8 in game canon after all ^^;

Heh, you're certainly right that Tails hasn't been shown to be romantically interested in SegaSonic canon.^^ My guess for why he's a popular target for pairing is that people like putting the shy, curious character in unusual situation...Awkwardness makes for easy romantic tension.^_~ I bet he'd still be quite shy on some level even after he hit puberty, too.^_~

Exacly, I believe in the same, but that’s the gist of it. Blaze and Sonic became friends and that’s it, there wasn’t more development. Rush led to Rush Adventure, where the relationship started the same as it ended (friendship), Sonic 06 had no interaction between the two, Black Knight does not count because Percival is not Blaze (and Sonic brushes off Caliburn's comment quite easily). Besides, Blaze vowed to change because of of friendship, not because of love at first sight (if it ever existed). I know the latter can happen, but it undermines the character. To me it’s cheap. If the relationship was developed, then why not, but that’s not what we had at all.'

I do agree with you, to some extent. While I see some potential for romance in Blaze and Sonic's interactions from Rush, it doesn't seem to provide enough justification for the pairing to have solid canonical basis. Maybe that would change in a Rush 3, I'm not sure. Not that I think that Sega would allow Blaze and Sonic to go steady with Amy around, but I suppose the confirmation of Blaze having a one-sided crush on Sonic might still happen, for better or worse...If something like that happened, it would probably be best to reveal it at the end of the game.

But yeah, I agree with you, for the most part...Blaze and Sonic still have a ways to go in terms of having their platonic relationship developed, so confirmation of romantic feelings on the part of either of them would feel somewhat rushed(No pun intended).