Awoo.

Is Sega intentionally shipteasing us?

batson

Heh, you're certainly right that Tails hasn't been shown to be romantically interested in SegaSonic canon.^^ My guess for why he's a popular target for pairing is that people like putting the shy, curious character in unusual situation...Awkwardness makes for easy romantic tension.^_~ I bet he'd still be quite shy on some level even after he hit puberty, too.^_~

I do agree with you, to some extent. While I see some potential for romance in Blaze and Sonic's interactions from Rush, it doesn't seem to provide enough justification for the pairing to have solid canonical basis. Maybe that would change in a Rush 3, I'm not sure. Not that I think that Sega would allow Blaze and Sonic to go steady with Amy around, but I suppose the confirmation of Blaze having a one-sided crush on Sonic might still happen, for better or worse...If something like that happened, it would probably be best to reveal it at the end of the game.

But yeah, I agree with you, for the most part...Blaze and Sonic still have a ways to go in terms of having their platonic relationship developed, so confirmation of romantic feelings on the part of either of them would feel somewhat rushed(No pun intended).

The Shipteasing between Sonic and Blaze appears to transcends the Rush games as this

its
analyzes the relationship between Sonic and Blaze. There appears to be more shipteasing between them in Mairo and Sonic at the London Olympic Games and Sonic Generations. Blaze's theme song
also seems to be a blatant form of shiptease as TV tropes has noted. Didn't Blaze and Amy also had a catfight over Sonic in the London Olympic Games? Seem to be more shipteasing. As long as the Sonic series continues there is bound to be more shipteasing which is Sega's own way of having fun with the fans and no need to make Rush 3 just for shipteasing. But whatever happened to Sonic's characterization as a "chaste hero?" Or is that just his general attitude toward Amy Rose?

(Do you get annoyed from a reply to a few years old post?)

raep.png

That's not a intentional shiptease?

This is too much.

I would say that short answer is yes, the writers are "Ship Teasing" the characters.

anyone who did read "Save the Cat", a very known screenwriting book by Blake Snyder knows that the sub-plot of Sonic Rush is considered a "Buddy Love" story, heck, the book even explains a very used universal version of that subplot:

Often, as in Rain Man, one of the buddies is the story's hero and will do all or most of the changing (i.e., Tom Cruise) while the other buddy acts as a catalyst of that change and will do slight or no changing (i.e., Dustin Hoffman). I have been in many story discussions about this dynamic. Whose story is it?? is what it very often boils down to. Lethal Weapon is like that to an extent. It's Danny Glover's story. Mel Gibson is the agent of change. And though Mel will not be suicidal by the story's end, it's Danny Glover whose transformation we care most about. These "catalyst" Buddy Love tales, in which a "being" comes into one's life, affects it, and leaves, is a subset of the Buddy Love dynamic and an important one to keep in mind.

Mel Gibson = Sonic; Danny Glover = Blaze, That's freaking Sonic Rush.

every buddy story is a love story in disguise, and every romantic story is a buddy story. what separates a platonic love story from a romantic love story however is as the book says, "the potential for sex" or the romantic undertones, as said here:

The secret of a good buddy movie is that it is actually a love story in disguise. And, likewise, all love stories are just buddy movies with the potential for sex. Bringing Up Baby, Pat and Mike, Woman of the Year, Two Weeks Notice, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days are genre-wise just sophisticated Laurel and Hardy movies where one of the buddies is wearing a skirt.

the "potential for sex", let's say, it's heavily implied in Vela Nova and blatantly explicit in the unambiguously romantic overtones used in that one scene in Sonic and the Black Knight.

Buddy Love Story (Subplot in SR) + Potential for sex (romantic overtones) = Love Story.

to oversimplify things, a love story is a buddy story where your "buddy" wears a skirt and she gives signals that she wants to do *that* with you.

not talking about if the characters love each other or anything like that, but in a pure writing sense, the "Ship Teasing" fits with what's known about the subject.  

This anyway is why I see the subplot between Sonic and Blaze as a rather romantic-ish one, even if implied, it's because by what I've been studying, I believe it could be classified as such.

Didn't Blaze and Amy also had a catfight over Sonic in the London Olympic Games?

wait, what? is that crap true???

• Thumbs Up 2

This anyway is why I see the subplot between Sonic and Blaze as a rather romantic-ish one, even if implied, it's because by what I've been studying, I believe it could be classified as such.

We've gone from using advanced math to calculate Sonic's strength to film study to define a shiptease.

Gotta love this fanbase putting their education to use lol

• Thumbs Up 2

Shipping in Sonic=SERIOUS BUSINESS.

So uh....yeah, 

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge

We've gone from using advanced math to calculate Sonic's strength to film study to define a shiptease.

Gotta love this fanbase putting their education to use lol

So uh....yeah, 

Thanks, now I feel ridiculous.

I will never mix script-writing and Sonic again.

now let'me finish the plot structure of this one fanfic...

BTW I'm still laughing at this picture.

raep.png

it so needs a caption, like this:

tumblr_ma79em6TeP1ra9a3to1_500.jpg

Edited by Anti Alias
  • Thumbs Up 1

I doubt they did it intentionally but Sonic across continuities has quite a few lovers or romantic interests. Some of them HUMAN. He's a player.

I guess there's a reason there's a "Hedgehunk" achievement/trophy in Unleashed, huh?

Honestly people will find reasons, and little things everywhere (and in anything) to justify having a 'ship'. Happens in pretty much every fandom even if the pairing in question is impossible to happen within a series. I don't think SEGA is 'shipteasing' anyone, the fanbase does a good enough job of that one on its own.

Giving SEGA any credit to go and hide little meaningful hints that some characters are possibly together would be giving them too much credit. They keep things rather barebones generally in terms of story and characterization. Which in this instance, concerning romance stuff, I am completely okay with them never truly acknowledging anyway.

also wow is it ever fun to go into old topics like these and see a bunch of old members that don't come around anymore. Hard to believe I've been here since 2006 myself, lots of other people have been here even LONGER.

Edited by Raiden
  • Thumbs Up 1

wait, what? is that crap true???

Mario and Sonic at the London Olympic Games Story Mode (Nintendo 3DS Version) Girls Bonus 

At Hyde Park Peach, Amy, Blaze, and three Toads are setting up the invitations for all of the athletes, however Amy suggests she take Sonic's invitation to him personally but the others don't want Amy to go and insist that she stay and help the others work. However, after more begging, Blaze suggests that if Amy can beat her in a competition she will let her go. Then, after Amy beats her, Daisy shows up and battles with Peach and after Peach wins they all go out for a break, but when they return the wind had knocked off all of the invitations to the ground.

Super Mario Wiki

The Sonic the Hedeghog wiki appears to be written by fans of Sonaze or they just love to turn Sonic and Blaze's relationship into a ship tease.   

Edited by Kareemadeem

Romantic implications don't magically appear in a script, someone has to write them...

I don't think the case in this series are teases of potential romantic relationships, but rather teases of "potential romantic feelings" between the cast, heck, Ship Tease is only a Tv Tropified name for any scene with romantic tension anyway.

At Hyde Park, Peach, Amy, Blaze and three Toads are preparing the invitations to send them to the athletes. Amy wants to give Sonic his invitation personally but Blaze wouldn't let her so both engage into an Olympic challenge.

oh shi-

how stupid isn't that?

it's pretty damn stupid from Blaze's part I believe lol, the context however changes a lot between both versions of the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Romantic implications don't magically appear in a script

They can if the writer has no idea what he's doing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

They can if the writer has no idea what he's doing.

well, there is indeed, THIS.

the one in Disney's animated movie Bolt was one of the most ridiculous I ever saw in my opinion....

there is a dog, (the one from the title) and a cat... at first they fight, they hate each other, he pretty much kidnaps her and forces her to tag along in a crazy nonsense journey, that make's him look pretty nuts.

before the first middle of Act 2 they (the female cat and the dog) were all like great friends she was teaching him how to be a dog (lol) and all "fun and games", but after the middle of the movie just before Act 3, when the cat started to say things like "I found a house for us with complete privacy" and a conversation that was pretty much "You prefer her over me" then I instantly though "damn, this is not coming across as it should"...

it's a fucking love story... by all literary means possible.

but however when a relationship is ambiguous like that, but the writers DO throw a romantic context in the scene, then it's just that, the writers implicitly saying: "see these characters? yeah, they totally wanna fak" 

then it's not a relationship writing fumble anymore, it's just a plain simple romantic sub-plot between two character, even a ambiguous one.

Ok seriously, what is this topic about?

I'm in the topic, so now it's about scriptwriting.

I can't separate romance from writing, EVER.

well, there is indeed, THIS.

the one in Disney's animated movie Bolt was one of the most ridiculous I ever saw in my opinion....

there is a dog, (the one from the title) and a cat... at first they fight, they hate each other, he pretty much kidnaps her and forces her to tag along in a crazy nonsense journey, that make's him look pretty nuts.

before the first middle of Act 2 they (the female cat and the dog) were all like great friends she was teaching him how to be a dog (lol) and all "fun and games", but after the middle of the movie just before Act 3, when the cat started to say things like "I found a house for us with complete privacy" and a conversation that was pretty much "You prefer her over me" then I instantly though "damn, this is not coming across as it should"...

it's a fucking love story... by all literary means possible.

but however when a relationship is ambiguous like that, but the writers DO throw a romantic context in the scene, then it's just that, the writers implicitly saying: "see these characters? yeah, they totally wanna fak" 

then it's not a relationship writing fumble anymore, it's just a plain simple romantic sub-plot between two character, even a ambiguous one.

That "house" had two rooms, if they share one room...

Thanks, now I feel ridiculous.

I will never mix script-writing and Sonic again.

Why do you feel ridiculous? "" "" "" "" "" this thread, I doubt your the only one who do serious work on analyzing Sonic and Blaze relationship.

So uh....yeah, 

"" "" "" "" "" this thread. It sure is surprising considering romance is not the focus of the Sonic the Hedgehog series and tends to avoid it.   

also wow is it ever fun to go into old topics like these and see a bunch of old members that don't come around anymore. Hard to believe I've been here since 2006 myself, lots of other people have been here even LONGER.

You have me to thank for that.

Edit: Then there is this analysis on Sonamy. This

Sonic Shuffle at the 5:36 mark shows Sonic wolf-whistling at Lumina Flowlight and asking her in a excited manner "who are you?" It appears to be very intentional ship-teasing. Edited by Kareemadeem

I always read Blaze's awkwardness around Sonic as her not being used to having close friends or being helped by people, so it kind of annoys me when people are like "Ermagerd she's blushing!"  but I guess I get it,the line between a normal frendship and a romantic relationship is pretty small anyway, I'm just a bit biased towards not pairing up Sonic or Blaze I guess. 

Is Sega intentionally shipteasing them though? Heck I don't actually know.

Edited by Mysterics
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldnt say romantic bonds are purely constructed off of friendship + sexual tension, as stated earlier. Romance is moreso a focus of depending and caring about the significant other on a level deeper than others.

I can't say I can see Sonic in any sort of seriously taken romantic relationship, but the teasing and implying of romantic tension between him and Blaze works for me. The only wayit'd work though is if it happens progressively over time, transitions solidly from platonic to something more, sticks to a solid continuity, isn't forced and stays (very very) subtle. As in, definitely not a defining factor towards anything in the series besides simple shipteasing.

Any other thing (Knuckles and Rouge, Vanilla and Vector, what have you) should be pretty much treated the same but nevertheless won't be noticed as much anyways due to them being minor characters most of the time (and even if major, it's doubtful the subject should/would even come up).

Also, kill me, I am talking shipping again. :P

Edited by Azookara
  • Thumbs Up 1

Shipping should always stay in the realm of speculation, I've felt. I like it better if the fans can decide who they end up with... pushing one relationship on another takes away that creative freedom. Sure you could say you support couple x all you want, but you're basically arguing against God, who is saying you are just flat out wrong.

Shipping should always stay in the realm of speculation, I've felt. I like it better if the fans can decide who they end up with... pushing one relationship on another takes away that creative freedom.

Noncommittal hogwash. If romantic relationships between the characters are an important part of the story, then not committing to them is like not writing whether or not the good guys beat the bad guys. Hardcore shippers have never stopped shipping over something as small as their ship being wrong, and actually writing the story comes far ahead of worrying about preserving the fans' "creative freedom".

Noncommittal hogwash. If romantic relationships between the characters are an important part of the story, then not committing to them is like not writing whether or not the good guys beat the bad guys. Hardcore shippers have never stopped shipping over something as small as their ship being wrong, and actually writing the story comes far ahead of worrying about preserving the fans' "creative freedom".

I think there's far better things to write about then who a character finds sexy at the given time of the month.

Romance is also very hard to do without leading into drama. Sonic's a lighthearted series; unfortunately even I must accept this.

Plus Sonic himself not dating anyone, I think, fits his character of not wanting to be tied down. He's young and I assume that he wants to enjoy it, before he's tied down with responsibilities such as dating and inevitably bills, kids, etc. Heck, we can even make that out as a flaw of his, that he's afraid of being committed.

I think there's far better things to write about then who a character finds sexy at the given time of the month.

That's a pretty shallow interpretation of romantic relationships, but regardless of your tastes, I think you'd find it hard to argue that they can't make or be part of successful stories, considering the unspeakable volumes of fiction where love and relationships have been either the primary focus or a major aspect.

Romance is also very hard to do without leading into drama. Sonic's a lighthearted series; unfortunately even I must accept this.

I don't think it's all that much harder, really. "Drama" can come out of almost anything if you let it get away from you. If Sonic's supposed to be a lighthearted series, just use a lighthearted take on romance.

Plus Sonic himself not dating anyone, I think, fits his character of not wanting to be tied down. He's young and I assume that he wants to enjoy it, before he's tied down with responsibilities such as dating and inevitably bills, kids, etc.

I still don't buy it. Why is a relationship always looked at as a ball and chain? Why, in a series with talking animals, magic rocks, giant robots, and a host of other ridiculous things, is a relationship that enriches the lives of the two involved so hard to believe? Even in real life dating doesn't inevitably lead to marriage, kids, and a house in the suburbs, so why is this even a concern for a character/series like Sonic? And if Sonic's the sort of guy who wants to experience everything the world's got to offer...why is love not a part of that? Why couldn't he find someone that's just as passionate about seeing the world as he is? Or, someone who's willing to wait for him, someone he's always willing to come back to?

I still don't buy it. Why is a relationship always looked at as a ball and chain? 

Because it requires a considerable investment. It has its pros, most certainly, but there are drawbacks. More responsibilities. More restrictions on what you can do. If your partner finds smoking gross you're very likely to kick the habit. In the case of Sonic, his partner may not want him to be going around risking his life constantly, always leaving them behind. He'd need a fast character to date if it was to work out. Which basically leaves us with Blaze or Shadow.

And if Sonic's the sort of guy who wants to experience everything the world's got to offer...why is love not a part of that? Why couldn't he find someone that's just as passionate about seeing the world as he is? Or, someone who's willing to wait for him, someone he's always willing to come back to?

Could be part of his immaturity and inability to see the pros of a relationship, instead focusing on all the drawbacks. Or maybe he's actually insightful and understands it would make him have to choose someone over his friends in any situation.

Though from a purely practical perspective, a lot of it would just be how hard it would be to put it in. To make a relationship believable it'd have to be introduced over the course of several games. With story as thin as it is, and continuity as disconnected as it is, any relationship would surely be spontaneous or one-shot. No matter how justified the idea itself may or may not be, trying to actually implement it runs into a slew of issues.

Because it requires a considerable investment. It has its pros, most certainly, but there are drawbacks. More responsibilities. More restrictions on what you can do. If your partner finds smoking gross you're very likely to kick the habit.

Dude already saves the world on a regular basis, I don't find it hard to believe he could find someone he'd mesh well with. Everything in the games is idealized to some (usually large) extent, this would be no different.

In the case of Sonic, his partner may not want him to be going around risking his life constantly, always leaving them behind.

Solution: don't write them that way. It's fiction, you can write literally any character into existence, pointing to one particular type that might cause some problems doesn't mean the whole thing is untenable.

Could be part of his immaturity and inability to see the pros of a relationship, instead focusing on all the drawbacks. Or maybe he's actually insightful and understands it would make him have to choose someone over his friends in any situation.

These aren't actually things we know to be true, based on how he's acted; they're just plausible ways that could be used to justify him not looking for a relationship after the fact. And frankly they don't sound very Sonicy to me anyway...since when is he going to focus on the downsides? Since when is he going to worry about a difficult choice rather than looking for a way to have both? 

Though from a purely practical perspective, a lot of it would just be how hard it would be to put it in. To make a relationship believable it'd have to be introduced over the course of several games. With story as thin as it is, and continuity as disconnected as it is, any relationship would surely be spontaneous or one-shot. No matter how justified the idea itself may or may not be, trying to actually implement it runs into a slew of issues.

The only issue I see is that they currently write like shit, which should be addressed regardless of whether they want to pair Sonic up with someone.

Dude already saves the world on a regular basis, I don't find it hard to believe he could find someone he'd mesh well with. Everything in the games is idealized to some (usually large) extent, this would be no different.

To minimise conflict he'd probably have to hook up with someone fast though. So we either have to choose from the limited pool, or introduce another character (we know how well this'll go) to fill the void.

On the other hand you can always go the other route to increase conflict... but then that can quickly lead to the series becoming overdramatic. Sonic's had all these years to hitch up with someone, so it's a delicate issue to avoid it feeling rather forced. We had Madonna, certainly, but I think when she was canned that sent a clear message.

Really I'm thinking romance would probably be best reserved towards the other characters. With Sonic fans increasingly getting hitched themselves it would help make them someone you can relate to.

Solution: don't write them that way. It's fiction, you can write literally any character into existence, pointing to one particular type that might cause some problems doesn't mean the whole thing is untenable.

I suppose that's a fair enough point.

But then that just opens the problem of how believable it is. "Cartoon hedgehog" is a useful excuse, but eventually it just becomes a copout. The appeal of romance is having someone you're close with... I can't see a relationship with long-term distance issues working out for long.

And frankly they don't sound very Sonicy to me anyway...since when is he going to focus on the downsides? Since when is he going to worry about a difficult choice rather than looking for a way to have both? 

Perhaps beneath that easygoing facade of his he actually has some fears? It'd make him less two-dimensional, certainly.

As anyone with a penchant for leadership can tell you, they have to hide their emotions for those they lead. They can't show fear, or sorrow, or regret. If Sonic panics when things get crazy it'll quickly cause a flood of anxiety.

He could have a fear of having to choose. Fear of losing that person. Etc. etc. Unfortunately Sega hasn't been very fond of showing such hidden details. As a mascot he's not allowed to have complexity. The tragedy of having to represent a company.

To minimise conflict he'd probably have to hook up with someone fast though.

...why?

But then that just opens the problem of how believable it is. "Cartoon hedgehog" is a useful excuse, but eventually it just becomes a copout. The appeal of romance is having someone you're close with... I can't see a relationship with long-term distance issues working out for long.

Long-distance relationships can work in the real world, I don't see why they couldn't in an idealized situation. And, depending on where exactly you place his speed, it wouldn't be too hard for him to run over for a visit. Functionally, though, it'd probably be better for it to be someone who can follow along (which does not necessitate them being as fast as Sonic), since the series is always jumping to different locations each game.

Perhaps beneath that easygoing facade of his he actually has some fears? It'd make him less two-dimensional, certainly.

As anyone with a penchant for leadership can tell you, they have to hide their emotions for those they lead. They can't show fear, or sorrow, or regret. If Sonic panics when things get crazy it'll quickly cause a flood of anxiety.

He could have a fear of having to choose. Fear of losing that person. Etc. etc. Unfortunately Sega hasn't been very fond of showing such hidden details. As a mascot he's not allowed to have complexity. The tragedy of having to represent a company.

There's any number of things that he "could" be/feel/think/etc. But these potentials don't really hold any weight over whether or not you could plausibly write Sonic into having a romantic relationship, since they're only potentials.

...why?

That should be self-explanatory. Means they can go on adventures together and not have to worry about any issues of distance. Alternatively someone who can substitute their natural speed, like Tails.

Long-distance relationships can work in the real world, I don't see why they couldn't in an idealized situation.

They can, but it's rare. Hence, it's not very believable.

And, depending on where exactly you place his speed, it wouldn't be too hard for him to run over for a visit. Functionally, though, it'd probably be better for it to be someone who can follow along (which does not necessitate them being as fast as Sonic), since the series is always jumping to different locations each game.

Speaking as the son of a businessman who's rarely home barring two months out of the year, this is probably the best approach. My father swings by whenever he happens to come through town normally, and I presume this would be somewhat similar. Makes for a believable romance without being too intrusive. Indeed, couples should spend some time apart as much as they should together.

While I'm iffy on railroaded romance, I don't have a problem with it being optional. Unfortunately that'd increase the workload on a title due to having to probably create branching levels/storylines...

The biggest problem quickly becomes who he's with, however. It has to be done slowly and gradually so it doesn't feel shoehorned in. I presume we'd stick with a character already created to avoid the usual backlash. So Amy would need to be steadily approached, or he'd have to somehow build a relationship with one of the other female cast members.

I'm saying female because a heterosexual coupling would be enough of a challenge to get into the game as is. :P