Awoo.

Sonic R hacked! New!

Roareye Black

I have been looking through the internet to see if this has already been done. I can't find a single connection to it (Bar people trying to use an Action Replay to see if Adventure 2 Battle had Sonic R in it. WTF?)

But today I cracked it. Not to any historic or important end, but I actually hacked into the bastard to a lukewarm degree. Managed to make it get a bit confused and make Tails Doll and Egg Robo made of glass, and a lime green Metallix. It had a bit of an effect on the other levels too (Super Sonic took on a Shadow-like black in Reactive Factory).

I am currently changing the code to see what other effects I can get from it, but have not tested too many yet. I also know that there are teams of people far more capable and knowledgeable than I am. I am simply changing random digits and hoping for the best. There are also many areas of the game I've not tested each code on, as I only tested Grand Prix: Resort Island as Metal Knuckles to find the key alterations. Yes the Master Code matches Sega Rally, that is how i accidentally stumbled on this glitch from the pre-loaded cheats already on my Action Replay.

SONIC R: Sega Saturn Action Replay Codes

Master Code:

F6000914 C305

B6002800 0000

Original Code

160B0536 9911

This code makes texture and colour alterations on characters and levels, only on the in-game sections. The menus and main titles are unaffected, as are the other screens. Tested changes include;

- Resort Island is sand-yellow with green blobs

- In Resort Island, all characters are coloured gold

- Regal Ruin suffers from green-pink vomit like texture destruction almost everywhere except some floor textures

- Reactive Factory has yellow floors, green and black buildings, Super Sonic is black, Metal Sonic is gold

- Radical City and Radiant Emerald have no obvious issues at all

Bear in mind the Original Code is the only code I tested on every level, and even then it was only in Grand Prix. I tested with Metal Knuckles on all except Radiant Emerald when I played as Super Sonic. If I haven't mentioned a test or area to be tested here, I haven't tested it. I wasn't necessarily thorough, as I said I'm not exactly the best at this sort of thing.

Other Tested Codes

160B0536 9922 - Tested on Resort Island, reacted identical to original code

16000536 9911 - Tested on Resort Island, no change to normal

160A0536 9911 - Tested on Resort Island, different to original code. Green Metal Sonic, Gold Super Sonic, Mirrored Egg-Robo and Tails Doll.

160C0536 9911 - Tested on Resort Island, no change to normal

One thing I would like to point out is that this has not produced any major results that reveal anything mind-blowingly secret. Maybe in time they will, it is possible there are secrets on the disc. Who knows?

One thing it has shown? Well the mirrored effect on Egg-Robo and Tails Doll is the most interesting thing really. At no point in the Saturn game is there any reflective surfaces, except on the water, but it's not the same as this. The only time you see a mirror texture is on the Sonic Head loading screen (Which incidentally only made it to the Saturn version of the game).

I'm not any form of intelligence when it comes to game design or programming, so please assume these a moronic hunch, but the only two reasons Egg-Robo and Tails Doll can become like a glass mirror is two explainations;

1. The Action Replay code takes the texture from the R of the title screen, or the Sonic head on the loading screen and imports it into the characters. However as I'm aware, this texture would not normally be available to the in-game engine. It also does not appear to be from the loading screen because the LOADING text that moves in and out of focus on the loading screen does not appear at any point. It is a clear reflection.

2. Originally the textures in Sonic R's in-game segments were going to be more advanced than they eventually ended up being. This would make sense given the Mirror effect was very impressive at the time (I remember first seeing it in 1996 and it blew my mind), and yet it had been developed seemingly only for the title and loading screen.

Why develop such an effect for just title and loading screens? And if they were to be used elsewhere, where would they have been used? It doesn't appear to be removed for a technical issue, as there's no slow-down with this effect on. Impossible to say at this time. I hope you guys think this isn't too boring, there may be hidden potential in them thar hills.

Roareye Black.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know I found a glitch in Resort Island that lets you get out of the level and explore around outside there. I found it interesting that there are a few randomly-placed, unreachable items out there. Namely an arrow sign in the middle of nowhere, and what appears to be a balloon from the balloon mode. Or at least something like a blue blob, anyway. I should really try and get a video sometime, actually...

EDIT: Someone else already did a video of it. The sign and mysterious blue blob thing can be seen at around 1:00-1:04.

No idea why they do a lap of the level first.

Edited by Mahzes

Nice find Mahzes. There's lots of glitches on there for you to look through but they all have one thing in common. They're from Sonic R on the PC. I tried several of the glitches on the Saturn version and they don't exist, meaning they must have been created in the transfer process. You can see this by the loading screens (Only the Saturn version has the mirrored Sonic head loader, the PC has the wavey flag background), the backgrounds (The PC version has moving wavey-flag backdrops on the options and menu screens) and the weather effects (The saturn one doesn't appear to have them).

I'm breaking into the Saturn version. Unfortunately I don't currently have a PC with which to get the footage, so camera photos will have to do for now, but I took some screenshots of the 160A0536 9911 code, not the original (I knocked these up quickly to get some evidence of what I was doing).

DSC02259.jpg

This is the opening swing into Resort Island. Note the greenery on the loop, you may also notice Super Sonic's funny colour on the leaderboard, and how funky the characters look.

DSC02260.jpg

A closeup of the group above, you can see the character's palette issues well here. Lime green monotone Metal Sonic, the gold on Super Sonic is darker and dirtier, Tails Doll has the mirror effect all over him. Though it's hard to see, you can see that on Egg Robo on the far right, Metal Knuckles is mostly unaffected.

DSC02261.jpg

I had to snap this. It looks much more macarbe in the flesh, the image quality is a little bad. The silver and red texture on the loop looks like a sheet of metal with streaks of blood. There's no texture like it used in the game to my knowledge, I wonder where it came from?

DSC02262.jpg

Final picture for now. Note Amy's head is very messy. This image was taken to show you the Air Turbines that are in Resort Island. The difference is with this code on, when you turn them to the camera they begin to shoot the blades at the screen in a wierd glitch. You can see it shooting what looks like a rope in the snapshot. It can be much bigger objects it shoots at you if you get closer.

So what do you guys think so far? Anything interesting or worth looking into?

Roareye Black.

The Saturn version does actually have the glitch I pointed out, that's the version I found it in. X3

I also randomly fell through the floor and out of the level in Radical City once, and was able to explore a bit. Sadly I was never able to replicate that. Again, that was on the Saturn version.

Well blimey, your right Mahzes! I've just done it. Don't see the mysterious sign though.

Any thoughts or any help on cracking the codes I've discovered? I don't understand what each numeral means so I'm just changing them randomly in hope. I really think this might lead to something amazing ^_^

Roareye Black.

The Saturn version does actually have the glitch I pointed out, that's the version I found it in. X3

I also randomly fell through the floor and out of the level in Radical City once, and was able to explore a bit. Sadly I was never able to replicate that. Again, that was on the Saturn version.

Take two Amys (multiplayer with the same character cheat) to the top of the giant fruit machine. Drive them to the left corner (left assuming you've been round the entire track, not gone backwards)and have them consistantly boost into the corner. Eventually they'll be on the same spot as each other and a few more boosts will send them through the wall. That's how I do the glitch in Radical City, and the method can be repeated in other levels. Shame I only ever got outside the boundaries in Radiant Emerald once...

Holy crap, what happens there?

I'm imagining invisible floors not too far below the main track, but still...