Awoo.

"Team Halo" being formed

Patticus

This news follows several rumours and reports on other news sites that have been doing the rounds these past few days (link and link).

MGS4's Payton Joins Microsoft Halo Crew

Microsoft Game Studios head Phil Spencer told Edge on Wednesday that the firm has added a "group of industry heavy hitters" to its lineup, including former Kojima Productions assistant producer Ryan Payton, confirming recent rumors.

Payton was assistant producer on the recently-released Metal Gear Solid 4, playing a role in injecting Western design elements into the decidedly Japanese series. He also aided in the actual design of Metal Gear Online and Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops.

To gamers, he's best known as a Western liaison for Tokyo, Japan-based Konami subsidiary Kojima Productions, the studio behind Metal Gear.

Payton left Kojima Productions for Washington State due to family-related issues earlier this year.

Payton is rumored to be directing a new Halo project, although a Microsoft rep would not confirm that information.

The rep only stated, "The team is working on upcoming and existing Halo games."

Also confirmed to be joining MGS is programming ace Corrine Yu, formerly of Gearbox Software, and her husband, artist Kenneth Scott of Doom house id Software.

Microsoft also confirmed that David Wu, former tech director at Full Auto developer Pseudo Interactive, and ex-Bungie content manager Frank O'Connor are also on Microsoft's Halo team.

Spencer said in a statement, "Microsoft Game Studios is thrilled to have such talented people working to develop new and exciting projects within the Halo universe and supporting existing projects from studios like Bungie and Ensemble."

Ensemble is currently developing Halo Wars, which will be the studio's final game before Microsoft shutters the developer.

The confirmation of the hirings comes days before the Tokyo Game Show, where, according to the Microsoft rep, Halo house Bungie will be making a major announcement regarding the recently-released Halo teaser video.

Source

Team Halo confirmed. They are really putting together some talented devs for this team, it's getting me a bit excited for what Haloish goodness they might bring us, and I'm not even all that into Halo!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max Gene

• Remy

• Patticus

• Kernel Machinegun

So this is there team that will keep working on the Halo series for the future, well all I got to say is good luck to them cause they will need it.

I must say it does look interesting. Pick and Mixing all the good people they can find. I can't wait to see what comes out of it.

Good for the series, but I personally never liked Halo. I find it overrated. Definitely not a revolution in FPS gaming.

Its good that its improving, but I'm not into Halo either. I just hope that they do something new in their future games.

Edited by Shade737

So microsoft made a bungie 2? I guess this time its personal!!

Hope this halo team can pull off what bungie has been doing for years now. keep multiplayer the same and ill be happy!

Wow, looks like they've got some good people behind it. Kind of like a superstar FPS team.

Suffice to say, I'm interested. Who knows what the games will be like though.

I feel kind've sad for Bungie, it's been stated that they were sick of doing Halo, so Microsoft just decided to put together another team and keep rolling. I'm pretty certain Bungie would've left it alone at a trilogy, finish with it and let it enjoy the glory days rather than keep making games until it runs into the ground, similar to how they could've just kept going with, say, Marathon.

While I personally found Halo overrated, this was only because it was being rated at a 12/10 by every fan I spoke with. They were fun in their own right, but certainly not worth the new edition they're coming out with.

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2007/09/bungie-...ty-edition.html

They'd only be cursing themselves if they had forgotten what made Halo great to begin with, were attempting (badly) to bring it to 4D, or have no idea what actually constitutes a great 4D shooter years after the genre has been established and repeatedly done right.

They'd only be cursing themselves if they had forgotten what made Halo great to begin with, were attempting (badly) to bring it to 4D, or have no idea what actually constitutes a great 4D shooter years after the genre has been established and repeatedly done right.

What an age we live in :)

Assuming the fourth dimension is time, our so called 2D games would have height and width as two dimensions, and time as the third. Length therefore would be fourth, in the same sense that we live in four dimensions. That being said, if time is counted as a dimension, Sonic CD would be the first 3D Sonic game, in a large sense.... ;)

HALO TEAM

they are cursing themselves by going with that name!

2r5cguc.png

Shadow out master cheif's helmet like the sonic team logo and thats perfect!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_dimension

annoys me when people say it is time. Curse you Wells!!!

There was a clock counting in Sonic 1 too, so by your logic, all 2D sonic games are 3D

Yeah, that's one way of putting it. Unfortunately, there's multiple models of physics, and I subscribe to spacetime, not the Euclidean version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

Annoys me when people say it isn't time. Curse you other folks!

And yes, by my logic, taken a certain way, I suppose all 2D sonic games would be 3D. Not that I would take my logic and try to rewrite industry terms with it. However, my point was that in Sonic CD you could actually utilize time as a dimension you could travel back and forth in to a certain extent, similar to how you could travel left, right, up or down in a zone.

Edited by Max Gene

However, my point was that in Sonic CD you could actually utilize time as a dimension you could travel back and forth in to a certain extent, similar to how you could travel left, right, up or down in a zone.
But you're not really traveling through time. Merely traveling to supposed past or future representations of zones.

but anyway, ridiculously off topic....

Shadow out master cheif's helmet like the sonic team logo and thats perfect!!

28tgdhl.png

i tried... lol, hard doing stuff like that with a mouse... my tablet won't work with gimp

I personally think Halo 4 might be interesting... I never really cared about the other games but this one seems like one I might like.

I just hope they make a PC port. There are a lot of rumors about a PC port for Halo 3, so why not H4?

I just hope they make a PC port. There are a lot of rumors about a PC port for Halo 3, so why not H4?

Rumors off of basic pattern recognition. Microsoft will port Halo 3 to PC, but only after a few years, so as to ensure that the game's graphics look dated compared to whatever else is on the market at the time, and any token new tricks it had no longer feel remotely special. It's the same thing they've done with Halo 1 and 2. Why? I don't know. You'd think a wait of one year would be enough to cement enough 360 sales and allow them to cash in more with the PC ports... but apparently not. No Grifball for the PC crowd!

Sweet~! I loved Halo 3. :) Only Halo game I've played, but it was still great. Sadly, my dog chewed up the disk and now it's ruined. D:

See, if this was the PC, you could download a new copy as opposed to paying them twice for something you already own, which is the remedy they force on you (it's fair guys! really!). Hurray for hardware devices that effectively function as DRM tools!