Awoo.

How far will you and Sonic go?

Dr. Good Girl

Grawr.....

So, um. I was kinda thinking this one time, about Sonic and stuff. And I'm kind of curious to know if you have ever wondered how far you're gonna run along with Sonic. Do any of you guys think that you'll eventually get tired of him? Do any of you think that you will just be too old, or not even have much time to think about him as much as you used to?

Me, myself. I can actually see a day where I will probably be too busy too think about him and his crazy adventures with the running, and the jumping, and the non-stop talking, and new friends coming. I'm just being realistic. It's not like that premature dream of obsessing with Sonic forever and ever anymore for me. That's what I once thought a long time ago. I still like him, but not like I really did when I was just a little girl. I haven't even a reason that Sonic could grab my attention for many many years to come, since I see that his newer games haven't really been much relevance to my interest as of late. But that's just me. Although with this upcoming PN game and so on, there could be change for better.

But still. As we get older, things change. But for some people here I already see some grown adults. That's why I wonder, where do you see your interests with Sonic in the future?

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well I'll always have a large part of him and his world in my heart, So I'll say unto death. (Hey, playing sonic games inspires my art and my writing and since a game art designer needs things to kill "Artist block" Sonic is my trump card!) B)

Edited by Omins Kai Invictus
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'll stop when Sonic stops. That's how far I'll go. I've been with the series since the day I was born, and I'm definitely not going to give up on Sonic.

It's like a never ending train with Sonic for me. When Sonic stops going, that's when I'll get off and move on. On the flip side, if Sonic decides to make another trip in continuing, I'll hop right back on that train.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll probably be with Sonic for as long as I'm playing video games. I'll be playing games for as long as I like to have fun, since well - games are fun. No need to stop anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I am all in on this forever bandwagon. The Sonic franchise means alot to me so as long as they are making video games, I'll be waiting in line to buy them.

It just works on so many levels. For as much as we scream and moan about characterization, I enjoy formulating my own opinions on the characters I grew up with. I can have fun with the franchise in the game sense, as well as an intellectual one, as weird as that sounds.

I doubt what I like to play will change much as I keep getting older. The Sonic variant action platformer has always been my favorite niche. That defiantly wont be going away any time soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

I keep saying I've stopped with the whole Sonic thing (Haven't liked recent games yaddda yadda yadda). But as I grew up with the blue pincushion, it's kinda hard to just drop him :V

Edited by DarkOverord

The Sonic franchise doesn't mean all that much to me anymore, but I'm still attached to the memories I've had with it and I can still enjoy the games I used to enjoy.

Sonic was probably important to me at one point, but no longer, at least not to the same extent. I am still vaguely interested in whatever new games come out and I can still listen to the music without having to play the games (because non-vocal music is generally the thing that the Sonic series gets right most of the time!), but the matter of fact is that I've pretty much shifted the majority of my attention to other game series. I have more fun chatting with people about Phoenix Wright, Mega Man, Mario, and Kirby, because I still like their games. Unfortunately, I only like a handful of games in the Sonic series.

The fanbase is also not the most fun to participate in (then again, the majority of fanbases aren't, so don't feel bad, SSMB!), and as far as this board goes, I am more interested in the community itself than I am with the series, even though I'm like the only other mod who ever comes in the Sonic forum aside from Flyboy. I post here because I like talking to others about a common interest in general, not because I wake up every day wanting to talk about Sonic (though I wake up every day wanting to talk about Kamen Rider W... *sniff*).

Archie Sonic, on the other hand, is big on the nostalgia department for me because it influenced me in many aspects. It was what got me into Sonic in the first place, sure, but it also inspired me to draw, because at the time, Patrick Spaziante was my favorite artist. Of course now I think his new work sucks, but that's a different matter. No matter how bad Archie Sonic can get a lot of the time (and it's not like it started out great either, I'm mostly a fan of the issues 21-50 era), it does have some place in me that I can't let go, even if I don't read the comics anymore.

I've been in the process of shutting out the Sonic series for some time. Doesn't mean I'll completely stay away from the games since I still have a slight interest in new ones that come out, but I don't pursue games like I would with other franchises that I adore much more.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

even though I'm like the only other mod who ever comes in the Sonic forum aside from Flyboy.

Lol, props. I always found it kinda weird that there's like hardly any mods posting in the Sonic area of the forum at all XD

Eh, I'm 25 and as much in love with the speedfreak as ever, so I don't think age will ever factor into my obsessions. I can't see myself moving on from him any time soon, either. So much love for bluestreak <3

We'll I've liked the character for 12 years now, and now I'm 18 and I don't think I'll ever dislike Sonic. Though I think the way to put it is that my drive kind of shifts on how much I'm interested in him. Like right now my drive is low, Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing looks interesting and keeping up with news and sure I'll love it but it's not a very excitable game for my Sonic fanboy, I actually find myself more interested in other SEGA franchises showing up in it. I also have school going on and trying to get into advanced art classes so I can move onto 3D modeling, while at the same time I hang with friends and family and go out and hanging out and spending time with my girlfriend Jayde almost daily and Allie tagging along (best friend), while also interested in other game franchises and genres now. The Horror genre has really grown on me lately in the last few years.

However, come time when things are more exciting I'm sure my passionate side for this series will blaze again and I'll have fun. I enjoy it and that's all that matters to me if it doesn't cause trouble for others, Sure Sonic isn't my number one favorite thing anymore, people and creating have stolen that place in my heart, but I still enjoy it. I won't just one day wake up and decide "Ehhh, I'm not too interested in Sonic anymore. Oh well." I don't work in absolutes like that, I may not be interested at the time but it'll come back because I do have a love for the serious. Now if only they could figure out a few things to appease to my love for platform-adventure games.

Edited by Dusk the Christmas Keeper

I think I'll play the games forever. Maybe one day when I have kids of my own, I'll play less, but I'll make (force) my kids (to be) fans =P. Then I'll just play the games when I have time :)

At the very least, I'll always carry on with the Sonic games, for as long as they keep making them. And even if and when they do ever stop, it's not like I won't go back and play the existing ones.

I've been a fan for over 15 years now and I can't really see myself ceasing to be as such even if Sonic dies. 15 years is a very long time to hold onto a fandom passionately and I like the series too much to suddenly turn off it and stop playing or watching anything pertaining to it say if it died.

When I got into the Sonic series with SA2's Gamecube port, I became an instant fan of all things Eggman and, to an extent, was greatly interested in the rest of the franchise as well.

As a longtime anime fan, and fan of idealistic upbeat game series like Mario, this introduction to Sonic was quite relevant to my interests. Adventure 2 was an intricate, character-driven plot, and all three of the "Dark" characters were revealed to really not be all that bad by the end of the game; Of particular note was Dr. Eggman, who quickly shot up to being my favorite character of all time.

But I feel I picked an inopportune time to jump aboard the Sonic ship, as the tone of the series became more and more cynical, the plots more and more contrived, and the characters less and less developed. From Heroes onward, the storyline to this series has kinda failed at interesting me.

One might say I've already "given up" on Sonic... in a commercial sense. I no longer buy Sonic games, but keep up with plot developments via watching playthroughs online. While I'm still content to discuss the series with fellow fans, I no longer consider myself enough of a fan to really want the next Sonic game, so the gameplay of the series has become a moot point for me (I still love the classic 2D platformers, though).

My obsession with the series, and even my obsession with Eggman in particular, has dwindled a lot recently. Personally, I think I'm all the better for it, as Dr. Eggman's focus and development is merely a minute aspect of a hobby that I carry a faint interest in, rather than the emotionally-driven "cause" that I once fought for through the (now-defunct) Eggman Empire website.

tl;dr - I still think Eggman's cool, but I've moved on to other things that interest me much more.

• Bad Quality Post 2

Well hopefully I'll ride that sonic train for awhile. But yeah as years go by things could change. Really don't know for sure what'll happen in the future but being an old lady telling her grandchildren about Sonic would be pretty cool. My sister and I would joke about stuff like that sometimes. :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

tl;dr - I still think Eggman's cool, but I've moved on to other things that interest me much more.

I am quite shocked by this =O.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Sonic series has been with me for nearly 12 years (out of my 16 year old self) and I will never stop loving the series with a deep passion. It's led a big impact on my life, and the reason why I always fight for the classics is because I don't want to see what generally made my childhood die. This is because I grew up with all the PC ports of the classics (Sega Smash Pack 2, S&K Collection, SCD, Sonic R and S3D) and Sonic Adventure, and notice how nostalgic and timeless the series is. I've fought to make fangames and fought to have another retro Sonic game because I want to have the fun, the amazement, the nostalgia, and the charm that the classic games had once again.

I've always felt that since Adventure 2 Sonic has started to slope downhill at a speeding pace, and I've tried to like the majority of the newer games, but I just can't make myself like them. Probably the only one that interested me was Unleashed, and even that didn't give the same joy the originals did. I've lost overall interest in modern Sonic because of it's staggering mediocrity, but my heart will always be warm toward the classics. That's why I want another retro-styled game, really. Like said before by others, I just want another game to call a classic.

But really, Sonic made me interested in creating video games, cartoons, video game music, and art in general. I guess I could also thank the modern games for letting me stray from them and find a high liking for another series I truly love (but used to hate thanks to marketing), Super Mario. I guess I can also thank Eggman's ruthless yet goofy attitude for leading me to obsess over the Joker (since oddly, they're very similar), which lead me to my other favorite series, Batman. And I guess I can also thank Eggman's name trivia to finding out about the Beatles (my favorite band, which along with AC/DC led me to love classic rock) and I can thank The classic games' synth-pop-rock oriented tunes to my liking of 70s and 80s music.

Sonic also guided me to all you wonderful people here at SSMB and Sonic Retro :P

But lastly, to sum it all up, I'll still keep waiting for another classic, even if it takes decades to figure out the classics is what made Sega such a video game titan in the first place. I'll still keep hope, and still talk about Sonic and the series in general for years to come, and I know for sure I won't stop anytime soon. Sonic's practically one of my best friends (no matter if he's fictional or not), and I just have to say he needs to keep on going, and to tell Sega to make a good game next time. :P

Keep on juicin', blue dude.

I will jump in the forever bandwaggon too...

But I am actually more in-love with the community than the games itself, I haven't been in a lot of game specific forums (just for Red Alert 2 and Starcraft II) but this must be the most awesome fandoms I have ever been.

- In other places, Big the cat is a retarded fat guy who goes out with a frog.

- In the Sonic community, Big the cat is full of awesomeness, he is a guy who believes in friendship and will do whatever to protect thoose who are precious to him, even battle against crocodiles, ninjas and an army of robots with just his bare hands and a fishing rod.

And thats just one of the many things people discuss here, they are able to pull of such awesome things from a game about a hedgehog who runs fast...

So I think i will keep runing with Sonic 'till the fandom dies (wich I suppose will go even farther than Sonic itself).

Sonic the Hedgehog is the main reason I want to be who I want to be in the future. My core inspiration for my lifelong goal. Since I'm feeling a bit lazy I'll just quote part of the About Me section in my profile:

As far back as I can remember I've known and loved Sonic the Hedgehog. The titular character and the various entries in his long running video game franchise have influenced me greatly. Even to the point where my life's goal is to enter the world of game design and make this cute little guy the next big platforming hero.

While I know these are big aspirations for someone such as me, I'm willing to put forth the time and effort to do so. I've wanted this for a long, long time.

Unless I miraculously give up on my dream (Not likely :P) Sonic and I are going to keep trucking to the ends of the earth.

Sonic 1 was the game that introduced me to video games. And that was back when it first came out in 1991. I'm stuck with him forever cause he's always going to have a special place in my heart.

We're gonna be friendssss to the endddd. :D

I'm 25 and still going strong so unless something earth shattering happens, I think my love of Sonic is gonna keep going for years and years to come.

I must say, when I was younger I used to tell myself "Once you reach such-and-such an age you will out-grow Sonic". Hasn't happened yet, and I'm still proud to be a fan of the blue blur.

I know I might out-grow him one day (or perhaps not I hope now), but until then I'm sticking with my favourite hedgehog! :)