Awoo.

Why do some people 'round here not like Sonic Unleashed?

Shiny Gems

Uh, as far as I know, the game was not as "loathed" as you claim.

That sounds more like a problem of narrow reference pools on your part than a problem with my claim.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, as far as I know, the game was not as "loathed" as you claim. Unless you're talking about those who hate the game and never played it just because "it's Sonic" or that "it doesn't follow the Classic Sonic pinball functions."

I'm sorry, this is really starting to bother me. You wouldn't want a Mario game without jumping and powerups, would you? You wouldn't want a Halo game without blowing things up, right? What about PacMan without eating dots and ghosts? Could you go without that? This is the same thing when it comes to rolling and the way it functions. It defines Sonic, and to go without just practically makes what Unleashed was; which was a game that highly resembles how the Flash would function in video game form. Just because comics and tv shows that aren't even canon to the games say Sonic runs faster than the speed of sound doesn't mean the canon games have to. But then again, that might be ignored by you, since you said yourself "Canon is overrated". :rolleyes:

And yes, there is very few people who actually care for Unleashed in any way possible. Sure, it was a step in the right direction I suppose, but good gravy, it's nowhere near what SA1 had, which was just a step or two below the originals if you ask me. Then again, I don't really play the games for the storyline, so there. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

@Azukara: I was talking about those Classic elitists who go, "It doesn't follow the classic roots! It SUCKS!" and all other excuses. You understand the series more and are more open-minded than them, and I wasn't targeting you. I apologize if you thought I was.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I enjoyed the game, I even enjoyed the night time stages despite them being a little frustrating at times. The only thing I would personally complain about would be the difficulty and the console differences. For one, trying to get an S rank on the speed stages seems ridiculously hard to me, maybe I just need more practice but I can never seem to get anything higher than an A/B and that's the easy stages. It also irks me that the 360 and PS3 got extra stages whereas the Wii and PS2 were stuck with more werehog stages than I would have liked. I didn't really enjoy the music either.

The rest of the game however, I enjoyed. The storyline wasn't too complex, I think the new characters Chip and Prof. Pickle were good comic relief. Overall it was a very cheerful and optimistic game, in comparison to 06 and ShtH, this game retained Sonic's feel, the classic games, the adventure games, Sonic Heroes. It had humour in it, which I feel has been missing in recent games.

I also liked the direction Sonic's character had taken. As much as I love him I did feel he was getting too nicey nice and losing that boyish charm he once had where he was actually afraid of Amy, where he didn't always listen to what Tails said. I liked how the werehog brought out the more grumpy side of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Azukara: I was talking about those Classic elitists who go, "It doesn't follow the classic roots! It SUCKS!" and all other excuses. You understand the series more and are more open-minded than them, and I wasn't targeting you. I apologize if you thought I was.

Alright, thanks for clarifying that up. Didn't mean to bark like that.

Although I highly like the classic roots way over the modern route, I wouldn't mind a little bit of the new stuff involved. I'm fine with modern designs (although not exactly fine with all their ideas ), but I just prefer the classics completely, in just about every aspect. :) I mostly stand up for the gameplay of the classics anyways, which is why I get so snappy about this stuff.

Don't get this post wrong though; rolling and the "spinball mechanics" are still an ultra-major point of what makes Sonic.. well, Sonic. I'll stand by that until the day I die (or the day where Sega puts it back in their games XD).

What the does any of this have to do with the thread topic? I was pointing out that a specific set of criticisms leveled at the Sonic Unleashed and Black Knight reviews are unwarranted. I was not saying "IGN is awesome yo!"

This is an entertaining set of statements. You cite Sonic Unleashed being good and innovative as proof of how expectations have evolved. The problem with this is two fold.

• Outside the fanbase, the game is pretty much just loathed. So how can the game by itself be proof that people standards have evolved when the game doesn't meet them?
  • As by your own admittance, the game is littered with a certain set of design choices that you cite as the cause of the game's innovation. Design choices that are pretty much universally viewed as bad ones. Sow how can the game be an example of innovation instead of just a game padded with bad design decisions?

I’m sorry if I misrepresented your opinion of IGN, I do my best to debate what you say and what you mean, as closely as possible. Anyway, I don’t think that this discussion of IGN is irrelevant to this thread. In my view this tread has been more or less about discuss how well Sonic Unleashed plays, this means talking about game and seeing if it has any flaws. Naturally, IGN makes several claims about the nature of Sonic Unleashed. I thought that clarifying what they say and why they may be wrong was a useful contribution to the thread. Personally, I just can’t stand IGN’s ‘matter of fact’ style of reviewing, as if being one the biggest gaming website makes them the best.

Also, I think that you may be over estimating just how many people hate Sonic Unleashed. Popularity is just another matter of perception; a vocal viewpoint can dominate public discourse, making support for the idea stronger then it seems and the opposition virtually non-existent. I know that the ‘internet’ hates Sonic; at least the circles we visit seem to. However, at the same time I know that on any message board, those that post only comprise ten percent of everyone who visits the website. Also, it seems to me that across the internet, positive views of games are being drowned out. Some gamers would just rather bash games then actually play them, for them it is like they simply enjoy being miserable about their ‘favorite’ hobby. This sort of thinking is like a poison, more reasonable people are shouted down and eventually stop posting at all. If you trust the internet as it now you’d have no idea that people actually like games.

I don’t think that it is a good idea to make a universal claim about what all people think of Sonic Unleashed. At the very least we’d have to divide them into three distinct groups: those that like Sonic Unleashed, those that hate Sonic Unleashed and those that are unaware or indifferent about the games existence. The relative size of each of these groups is much harder to discern. Popular perceptions cloud any chance of seeing a group’s true numbers. Still, I think it is wrong to look at things in terms of who is outside the fan base, in everything but the most extraordinary circumstances, those that haven’t played a game will always outnumber those that have. For what it’s worth, Sonic Unleashed has sold over 2.4 millions copies. Love us or hate us, the Sonic fan base is quite numerous. If the internet’s view of Sonic Unleashed is just a popular perception, then that very same perception can be changed. We don’t even have to truly outnumber everyone, we only have to seem too; a few more Sonic fans in the right places could create an entirely different internet, as far as the casual observer is concerned. Such is the fickle nature of popular opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1