Awoo.

"Alan Wake's American Nightmare" & Alan Wake PC (Alan Wake Thread)

Agent York

EDIT: Go to page 5 for the new Alan Wake project announcement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJVMuWr7Gqo&feature=related

This game has been in development for ages (6 years even) but according to the developers it is now finished, playable from beginning to end, and they are just fine-tuning it for it's Spring 2010 release for the 360 (though also coming out for PC). What do you think of the game? Never heard of it? Been looking forward to it? Think it's going to be something fantastic? Horrible?

Personally I think it looks very creative and fun. I worry maybe it won't be to scary but the atmosphere looks wonderful, and I got predictions on what will happen but I somehow feel they will surprise us. Also, the game being so big with no lag amazes me.

Edited by Skyward Dusk
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Where to begin on all the updates... Well the game is nearing release date, it was pushed forward in Europe to May 17th.

ALAN WAKE STEPS INTO THE LIGHT EARLY IN EUROPE

The psychological action thriller, exclusive to Xbox 360, will be in stores across Europe from 14th May

LONDON – 7 April 2010 - Microsoft is delighted to announce that Alan Wake will be hitting stores across Europe on Friday 14th May – a full week ahead of its original release date.

“Fans in Europe have been crying out to get their hands on Alan Wake since it was first announced and we’re thrilled to be able to deliver it to them early,” said Stephen McGill, Director of Xbox & Entertainment.

In this long-awaited title, exclusive to Xbox 360, players assume the role of Alan Wake, a best-selling crime writer suffering from writer’s block, who escapes to a small town only to experience the mysterious disappearance of his wife. An intense psychological thriller from Remedy, the creators of Max Payne, Alan Wake looks to raise the bar for future games, creating a true cinematic experience.

Rated BBFC 15, Alan Wake will be available for an estimated retail price of £49.99.

SOURCE: http://www.destructoid.com/alan-wake-visiting-europe-sooner-than-expected-170232.phtml

AND a video showing off lots of information about the game ,not a trailer but lots of questions answered:

Or in case the media link doesn't work:

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

This game actually looks really fucking good, I wish I had money right now to buy it, but beween prom and junior banquet and Super Mario Galaxy 2 I don't think I will.

• Thumbs Up 1

+ Rep to you good sir. Why there isn't more discussion about this game I do not know. I figured the SSMB crowd would go gaga over this. I personally didn't look too far into the game outside the first teasers, but now I think I am totally sucked. Environment looks fantastic, and hopefully the game is satisfyingly long for six years, despite the small team.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another 10 minute video released! This one takes directly after the last 12 minutes video and can be found here:

http://www.relyonhorror.com/content/alan-wake-prequel-set-release-april-22-plus-second-10-minute-video-released

Also there, starting on April 22nd, a live action prequel to the game entitled "Bright Falls" will start airing on the internet,a series of episodes about the events before the game. First episode releases in 5 days.

Alan Wake is closing in and tomorrow the first episode of the prequel, "Bright Falls" airs online. New interviews and bits of info all around.

Sonic Stadium, why little to no love for this game? T3T

The first review is out! Hobby Magazines newest issue had the first review of Alan Wake, and gave the game a 9.3/10 to read more information on the review, go here: http://themindchannel.blogspot.com/2010/04/1st-alan-wake-review-success.html

Can't wait for the live-action prequel to Alan Wake, Bright Falls, to hit Xbox Live on the 25th? Well today's your lucky day! The first two episodes (of six) of Bright Falls have been posted online, while a bit low quality, still fully viewable. Bright Falls follows a detective named Jake in the events before Alan Wake witness Bright Falls and an insight that something is a bit off with this town.

You can watch Bright Falls here: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/23/creating-a-video-games-world-with-real-people/

Finally, some impressions of Alan Wake's first chapter have popped up before their full reviews on the 5th of May, to read two such (extremely optimistic) opinions on the game, read below.

Impressions of Episode 1: http://jefftalksgames.blogspot.com/2010/04/previously-on-alan-wake.html

Impression of Episode 1 & Interview: http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/2889669

So the game is now 3 weeks until US release, 19 days until Europe release. Review embargo ends in 11 days. Bright Falls, the live-action Episodic prequel to Alan Wake has its first two episodes launch onto Xbox Live today. Previews for the game have been overwhelming loving from professional impressions and smaller sites alike. People who got a chance to play it at events love it.

Apparently this game can be as disturbing and scary as the best of Silent Hill, the combat is fun with surprising depth, the story is brilliantly told and intense with great acting, the game sometimes can feel like a Grand Theft Auto game in the mere size of the game worlds and all you can do, the graphics are great with the best lighting effects ever used in video games, the music is phenomenal with excellent sound effects that are catchy as they are fitting.

Yet, I worry this game may get looked over for some unknown reason. Disinterest? Has no one heard of the game? I have come to know some of the people bigger in the Alan Wake community, the staff at Remedy are actually very close with their fans and I have talked to several of them on their forums. Very nice people, answer questions but don't reveal too much. This game is confirmed to have been dubbed in several languages available on all disks depending what country your console is tuned too it will play, with many more subtitled languages.

Maybe some people are avoiding it for spoilers... But I feel more just it's getting some blind eyes pointed towards it. Still, I'm going to keep this topic updated and active with the upcoming news as it comes. Is anyone really looking forward to this?

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

Is the australian release date the same as the European one?

again: I'm not disinterested, just don't like seeing spoilers. still think it looks amazing

Is the australian release date the same as the European one?

again: I'm not disinterested, just don't like seeing spoilers. still think it looks amazing

Remedy was actually in Australia last week, they had a facebook challenge and 10 winners were the first regular people to have a chance to play the full Alan Wake game for an hour or two, people who left impressions said it was fantastic. However, I looked into it and it seems the Australian release date is two days behind the US Release date. May 20th.

Also, a fan remix of one of the trailer songs here. It gets better at 2 minutes in.

Also Bright Falls now on Xbox Live for free download!

And the Asgard Theme is also up for Alan Wake.

Hmm if Lost Planet 2 gets terrible reviews i'll probably get this. If not i'll get it for my birthday. It looks really interesting.

It's not a lack of interest for me, it's just that this is the type of game you aren't supposed to go digging around for info for. It's all about the single player experience, which means spoilers will wreck the first playthrough. I'm just trying to avoid it as much as I can but I can't help but peek in this topic every one in awhile. :P

Edited by Tiller

I can understand, and predict quite a few people are avoiding spoilers, but if this topic ever gets active it'll just look funny page 1 is mostly composed of me blabbing about things. XD

Anyways, Remedy have confirmed something great for importers.

Alan Wake is Region Free. Yes, a copy of Alan Wake from any country will work on any 360.

Good news, tempted to get a copy from Europe early. >_>

er... huh?

Honestly I'm confused by what he means too. If he means screen perspective, then yes it has been confirmed to fit with TV screens. The game has the built in audio of every language it's dubbed in from English to Japanese to Spanish (Mexico) to Spanish (Spain) and more on the disc, along with all the subtitles available. It automatically gets the dubbed/subbed language based on your Xbox setting, you'd need a Japanese account to hear the Japanese dub for instance.

Apparently, the first big review is supposed to come out on Friday. Heads up on that.

yeah, like you said, we're long past the age where TV stuff is hard coded into games, it's all done console end now.

No we aren't. I've attempted to play PAL PS3 games that refuse to run on my obviously-not-PAL SDTV. I presume this is even more of a common occurrence for the not-typically-region-free 360, which is why I asked. It is up to the developers of the game to include support for both SDTV resolutions, and some of them simply don't bother.

Edited by Tornado

Never had it happen once on the PAL 360 despite occasionally importing region free asian stuff.

must be a Ps3 thing

It is an individual developer/game thing. If you tried to play a region-locked PAL 360 game on a NTSC TV (or vice versa), the TV wouldn't necessarily display anything because the developer may not have included support for the opposing video standard in the game. In this way the PS3 is no different, except none of the games are actually region locked, so it is easier to spot when the output for a game is hard-coded (and PS3 games simply refuse to run rather than do the black and white flicker thing traditionally seen with conversion issues).

Now I understand that asking whether or not Alan Wake supports both SDTV standards may seem like a silly question when it is presumably a region free 360 game, as it makes sense that it would be if they were taking the time to make it region free; but common sense is not something that I've come to rely on for this console generation.

...HOLY CRAP!!!

DO NOT WATCH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS (post besides video will not contain spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTb8jkld-SM

...Let me just say that is freaking insane, intense, creepy... If you just thought you were fighting possessed people and objects...

I MEAN, how did they keep something like those deranged Shadow Monsters from people for so long. O_o;;