Awoo.

"Alan Wake's American Nightmare" & Alan Wake PC (Alan Wake Thread)

Agent York

http://hotfile.com/dl/42955868/f682022/armt.info_VA-Alan_Wake_Limited_Collectors_Edition-OST-2010-VAG.rar.html

The Limited Edition Soundtrack for those who want it, the tracks are:

01. Staatskapelle Halle & Petri Alanko - A Writer's Dream 1:53

02. The Black Angels - Young Men Dead 5:34

03. Staatskapelle Halle & Petri Alanko - Welcome To Bright Falls 4:26

04. Staatskapelle Halle & Petri Alanko - The Clicker 1:51

05. Anomie Belle - How Can I Be Sure 4:33

06. Staatskapelle Halle & Petri Alanko - Tom The Diver 3:13

(Collector's Edition Exclusive Mix)

07. Barry Adamson - The Beaten Side Of Town 4:48

08. Poets Of The Fall - The Poet & The Muse 4:18

09. Dead Combo - Electrica Cadente 3:00

10. Staatskapelle Halle & Petri Alanko - Tom The Diver 2:49

This is only a small sample, full OST will release later apparently, but some songs on this exclusive are only on this.

Really anticipating this title... Anyone on the board have it yet. I plan to do a recorded playthrough, so took the time to make a small personal promo though it can also be used for the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiJs-SOuZB8

2 More days until US Release.

I may be getting this game on Tuesday. If I can get up early enough -_-'. I am really interested in it.

I bought this game early on Wednesday, thanks to knowing some independent game shop guys.

It has been the single most disappointing and over hyped gamed I have ever played. I'll just list of what I didn't like.

Alan Wake is a dick. There's nothing at all likeable about his character, the way he treats other characters or the way he talks to himself all the time. You realise he's a dick pretty much as soon as the game starts, and some old man talks to him all friendly like and he's a dick to him.

There are 3 enemies in the entire game. Evil shadow possessed hillbillies, crows, and animate objects. Hillbillies come in 3 variates, small, bigger and biggest, with the only difference being speed and how long it takes to shoot them down. There's one point in the game where you're walking through a campsite, and see a sign saying "Danger, Bears around", and you're like Awesome! Finally some Possessed bears! And then there's just more hillbillies.

The combat system is so basic and clunky it's laughable. Every single encounter ends up the same. You shine your torch to lower the shields, and shoot them anywhere till there dead. No headshots in this game.

The episodic nature of the game is also completely pointless, as it adds nothing to the experience. I heard reviewers say that the choice of licensed songs in the game really added to the surreal nature of the plot. Apart from a few radios scattered about, the only songs are at the title cards for the end of each episode, at which point even the game asks you if you want to skip it. And then you have to watch a recap of the last hour or so of gameplay you just did.

The storyline is completely laughable, and for people saying it's as good as King, they can fuck off. It's some hastily pieced together shit, stealing ideas from every "summer holiday horror" novel out there. Even the twist is poor, and you don't care because Alan Wake is a dick.

Fences. There's one episode where you're working your way to a farmhouse. You can see it in the distance, but because of a 3 foot wooden fence with gaps in it, you need to do a 180 and go through another fucking barn, just to go out an actual door. Because Alan Wake is a dick and he can't climb fences. Or duck through them. (This also happens when you encounter some of the random "possessed" fences. Just go round it you dick).

The puzzles in this game are also laughably easy. I swear, hands down, that I've had more trouble in Pokemon Gyms. 3/4 through the game, in the mineshaft, you are presented with a puzzles that involves you lowering a piece of wood, and then adjusting it to reach a higher point. It's so stupidly pathetic it's unreal.

The environments are dull and repetitive as fuck. Every episode just seems to start with some reason to go into the woods alone, unarmed in the dark. You find the flash light, a gun, and then it's the same as the last 5 hours of play you just did.

It's linear as fuck. There's virtually no reason to go off the beaten path, except for ammo stashes that are pointed out to you with fluorescent yellow arrows. There's no sandbox here folks. Get from A to B and shoot everything you can.

For some reason, the FBI started chasing and shooting at me in Episode 3. I still don't know why. I didn't do anything at all.

Finally, it plays like a bad Resident Evil 4, and has a chainsaw boss almost exactly the same. The darkness seems to really, really like ripping trees, and all I can think of is the smoke monster from LOST. And theres a Big Daddy in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought this game early on Wednesday, thanks to knowing some independent game shop guys.

It has been the single most disappointing and over hyped gamed I have ever played. I'll just list of what I didn't like.

Alan Wake is a dick. There's nothing at all likeable about his character, the way he treats other characters or the way he talks to himself all the time. You realise he's a dick pretty much as soon as the game starts, and some old man talks to him all friendly like and he's a dick to him.

There are 3 enemies in the entire game. Evil shadow possessed hillbillies, crows, and animate objects. Hillbillies come in 3 variates, small, bigger and biggest, with the only difference being speed and how long it takes to shoot them down. There's one point in the game where you're walking through a campsite, and see a sign saying "Danger, Bears around", and you're like Awesome! Finally some Possessed bears! And then there's just more hillbillies.

The combat system is so basic and clunky it's laughable. Every single encounter ends up the same. You shine your torch to lower the shields, and shoot them anywhere till there dead. No headshots in this game.

The episodic nature of the game is also completely pointless, as it adds nothing to the experience. I heard reviewers say that the choice of licensed songs in the game really added to the surreal nature of the plot. Apart from a few radios scattered about, the only songs are at the title cards for the end of each episode, at which point even the game asks you if you want to skip it. And then you have to watch a recap of the last hour or so of gameplay you just did.

The storyline is completely laughable, and for people saying it's as good as King, they can fuck off. It's some hastily pieced together shit, stealing ideas from every "summer holiday horror" novel out there. Even the twist is poor, and you don't care because Alan Wake is a dick.

Fences. There's one episode where you're working your way to a farmhouse. You can see it in the distance, but because of a 3 foot wooden fence with gaps in it, you need to do a 180 and go through another fucking barn, just to go out an actual door. Because Alan Wake is a dick and he can't climb fences. Or duck through them. (This also happens when you encounter some of the random "possessed" fences. Just go round it you dick).

The puzzles in this game are also laughably easy. I swear, hands down, that I've had more trouble in Pokemon Gyms. 3/4 through the game, in the mineshaft, you are presented with a puzzles that involves you lowering a piece of wood, and then adjusting it to reach a higher point. It's so stupidly pathetic it's unreal.

The environments are dull and repetitive as fuck. Every episode just seems to start with some reason to go into the woods alone, unarmed in the dark. You find the flash light, a gun, and then it's the same as the last 5 hours of play you just did.

It's linear as fuck. There's virtually no reason to go off the beaten path, except for ammo stashes that are pointed out to you with fluorescent yellow arrows. There's no sandbox here folks. Get from A to B and shoot everything you can.

For some reason, the FBI started chasing and shooting at me in Episode 3. I still don't know why. I didn't do anything at all.

Finally, it plays like a bad Resident Evil 4, and has a chainsaw boss almost exactly the same. The darkness seems to really, really like ripping trees, and all I can think of is the smoke monster from LOST. And theres a Big Daddy in it.

That's fine, I've been paying close attention to the reactions from people. Some people utterly are adoring it, some people find it extremely disappointing. I think it all depends what you're looking for and reading through I can see where you're coming from but it doesn't look like you were looking for the same thing in the game I was looking for.

I think of it like the Uncharted 1 split, when Uncharted originally came out people were split between people who loved it and people who just didn't get what was so great about it. I think if you're going into this expecting Resident Evil style you'll be dissapointed, it's much more akin to Silent Hill: Shattered Memories and television shows like Twin Peaks.

However, also following this game and reaction closely I also know some of what you stated is untrue, but that's just me nitpicking. Enemy variety could indeed be better, I believe that will be one of my biggest grates with the game but there's actually 6 main enemy varieties and the rest are all just spins off these six types, and the game is linear as been stated but with some open environments, not Sandbox open mind you, but you can explore some and some alternate routes and open environments like field sized, but not flow-blown go wherever you want.

However, I'll post my full opinions when I play more than the first episode.

I'm very curious to know what these other 3 types of enemies are that I obviously missed. The ones I listed is all there is, and anything in the game is a variation of those 3.

Also, regarding the linearity. The game space may indeed be the size of a feild at times, but that doesn't make a difference when there's absolutely nothing there. You still need to follow a set path to get to your next destination.

Releases in America tomorrow, but going to a Midnight release tonight, lots of GameStop's are holding them. Excited~

Also, an easter egg has been found that is extremely awesome. Tell you how to get to it in a few days if no one else cites it, but at the end of Chapter 4 when in the car explore a little... Be glad you did. The easter egg is known as the Skeleton Easter Egg~

I got it. ;3; After waiting for so long I got it. Already played part of the first episode before, but here I go~

Oh, games out in America now. Whoo!

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper

*sigh* I'll probably pick this up Friday. I wanted to get it today but whatevah. Lame.

Just finished the first episode.

That was fantastic. So far in Alan Wake, wow this game really can strike you with terror. O_O I play a lot of horror games, but I have never gone from one moment to fine to suddenly a whole jolting surge of fear through my body all at once and eying the dark suspiciously. XD Like right now I just barely turned on this light in this huge field and survived an attack from the Taken, relieved to be safe but then I glance and in paint there's a thing written on the wall saying Safe Haven, and for some reason I laugh at that in some kind of weird irony. Also the game does this awesome thing where when you loose track of the Taken and you can't find him (like I'm doing right now and it geniunely frightens me a little knowing he could be anywhere right now) the fog picks up and gets denser, the wind starts blowing and trees start shaking with this music playing that's really creepy... It's an awesome effect and OH SHIT THERE HE IS.

*pauses*

Well, on Episode 2 right now, been playing for several hours and taking my sweet time, just into episode 2 and been about 4 hours. Lot shorter if you player faster, I would estimate one and a half hours to beat, but I heard each chapter gets longer and longer. I can't judge yet, but I am loving this game. Post more opinions, more thorough after episode 2 is complete.

It's linear as fuck.

Surely you must have learned by now that even though fucking always ends in an orgasm, it doesn't have to be linear if you're willing to spend some time on it...

In fact, now that I mention it, that's actually a pretty good metaphor for Alan Wake!

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surely you must have learned by now the even though fucking always ends in an orgasm, it doesn't have to be linear if you're willing to spend some time on it...

In fact, now that I mention it, that's actually a pretty good metaphor for Alan Wake!

But foreplay and exploring is fun :(

Trudging through an empty forest collecting coffee thermos'/pages of a poorly written book/even more ammo isn't, and is a poor excuse for "sandbox" exploration.

On Chapter 4 now and it is really hard to describe this game to those who haven't played it, I can guarantee now there is a HUGE difference between watching it and playing it, the atmosphere you feel when playing does so much for the game.

Though some small tips to get the most enjoyment out of Alan Wake:

-If possible, play with surround sound or a high quality headset. Trust me, it adds to the experience immensely.

-Also if possible, play at night, with the audio loud. This is not a horror game but it really amps the atmosphere.

-Don't rush, this game is finely crafted, take your time to smell the roses instead of just getting to the next goal.

-Don't spoil yourself the events n the game story. This is a game best experienced yourself. A lot of the story unfolds in the gameplay with less cutscenes than you might imagine. Play at your own pace.

-On your first playthrough, play on Hard. Trust me, the best choice, even if you think you're too wimpy for it.

-Keep in mind this story while serious also has some comedic moments, so if expecting a dead serious plot line that is dark and sinister keep that in mind there are light hearted moments.

But foreplay and exploring is fun :(

Trudging through an empty forest collecting coffee thermos'/pages of a poorly written book/even more ammo isn't, and is a poor excuse for "sandbox" exploration.

Of course it's not a sandbox game. They said before that they wouldn't put that in, but instead just have a huge "level" that can be traversed however you please (which, you know, is non-linear. No matter where it ends, if it's not stuck to one path, it's non-linear.)

OK beat the game.

Seriously so far my game of 2010, and I played the likes of Mass Effect 2 and God of War III, Bayonetta, etc. I don't think everyone will like it, but for those who discover it's charms they will love it.

Is it perfect? Hell no, and there is a lot of improvements that could be made for a sequel. That said however, for a new IP it is a great horror IP and in general, and hope it gets the chance to become a lot bigger, because this game is one of the few games up there that feel more than just a game but an experience.

My two complaints is that enemy variety could be expanded on since combat got a little tedious in episode 5 and 6, but was still a lot of fun, and a few gripes here and there like lip syncing and a couple climbing issues here and there, nothing game breaking and it didn't kill me or even frustrate me but just seemed a little wonky, but this is a game I believe anyone who is interested should at least try, and I can't wait for the upcoming DLC.

Yeah, I just finished the game too. It's hard to put the experience into words. But generally speaking, while the gameplay felt rather generic and unvaried, the story was superb, hands down one of the best I've seen in a video game. The narrative was well paced and deep, the plot was solid and gave a good sense of progress, the setting was detailed and the scattered story pages gave you a sense of what was to come without taking away the surprise, handled in such a way that no medium other than a video game could take advantage of. Not to mention how amazing the graphics were, namely the light effects.

Now about the survival horror element. I was very disappointed in the scare factor. It had an immersive, fear mongering atmosphere that couldn't quite muster up many scares out of me, not unlike Metro 2033 or Dead Space. Despite the ominous dark atmosphere, enemies just give away their position too often and the game uses the same scare devices over and over. Games just seem to scare me the most when the threat feels like it's looming more than actively chasing after you, when the motives and identity of the antagonist(s) remain vague. To my knowledge, the only games that really ever scared me were Luigi's Mansion, Siren Blood Curse, and the majority of the Metroid series. I think survival horror games should try to follow that feel a bit better rather than just placing zombies, debris and corpses everywhere and hope the feeling of something exists that wants to kill your character is enough to make you crap your pants.

But despite that, the rest of the game stood well on its own and even though the gameplay was derivative, it was solidly built, consistent and assisted the story and that's really what matters in this context, as far as I care. The use of light was actually more cleverly handled than I expected, especially the way they placed light sources as analogous devices to actual weapons, i.e. flashbangs as grenades, search lights as stationary machine guns and flashlights as guns.

In the end, all I can say is that while it's not my favorite game this year, it's up there and it's definitely one of the most important titles of its genre.

Edited by SuperStingray

To remind, the first one is free if you buy the game new, DLC Token in the box, but it's also been announced the pricing for both, they each will cost 800 Microsoft points. We know "The Signal" comes out July 27-28th.

Alan Wake Special Feature 1 (of 2): The Signal

In this first downloadable content pack we find Wake tracing a threat unlike anything he's ever encountered before -- and yet one he's intimately familiar with. In order to make sense of it all, he must follow the Signal. - 68 days left

Alan Wake Special Feature 2 (of 2): The Writer

Our second downloadable content pack, "The Writer", finds Wake in strange circumstances; now fully aware of the thing that opposes him, he must survive one increasingly nightmarish situation after another.

And out in Australia, almost out in Japan.

This is one of the few games I've played that felt like more than a game but an experience, being a great horror-styled title which works with humans emotions, art in a game form, and a focus on atmosphere and story rather than combat and traditional game mechanics. For those looking for a pure game experience may be disappointed, those who go in looking for something more than a game and in the realms of games like Shadow of the Colossus or Heavy Rain will appreciate the game a lot more, though the gameplay elements itself are fun too but not the front stage or major appeal of the game.

It won't appeal to everyone out there, especially those who are looking for a pure game experience. However, those who love art and aesthetics in games, a beautiful but not straight forward story, likable characters, and amazing atmosphere will appreciate the game as the experience it is and those looking more for a game and not the other elements won't appreciate it as much.

Alright so I just got to chapter 5.(Might aswell give impressions since I am nearing the end.) This is really a fun game. I dont mind that there are only 4 enemy types either.

Noticed some frame rate problems in Chapter 4 but thats it. Facial animations are...alright. Voice acting works.

Graphics are good. The combat works and dodging, while it does work, it could be improved upon.

Alright so I just got to chapter 5.(Might aswell give impressions since I am nearing the end.) This is really a fun game. I dont mind that there are only 4 enemy types either.

Noticed some frame rate problems in Chapter 4 but thats it. Facial animations are...alright. Voice acting works.

Graphics are good. The combat works and dodging, while it does work, it could be improved upon.

There's definitely potential improvements, that I know and not blind to it, but as I said for the first game in an IP I thoroughly enjoyed it, on my third playthrough right now. Facial animations are ehh and the variety in enemies is still one thing I want to push the developers in future titles or the DLC episodes. There's a lot of potential for more besides

Regular Taken, Heavy Taken, Speedy Taken, Crows, Possessed Objects, "Monster Truck" Machinery, and that Dirt Shoveler you fight twice that stays in place with the swinging claw.

Still though, and besides I realize it's not for everyone, what there is I enjoyed a lot and looking forward to the two DLC episodes.

Also hoping more people will pick this up, since I think a sequel could improve on a lot of issues and turn; in my opinion, a very unique game and fun game with lots of potential into a fantastic game, they have a lot of the assets worked out, if they just expand it, it could be like what Uncharted 2 to , Mass Effect 2 to 1, Mario Galaxy 2 to 1, and such. In other words, it's an IP I really do hope gets made, but as Remedy have said they want too, but it all depends on sales go.

There's definitely potential improvements, that I know and not blind to it, but as I said for the first game in an IP I thoroughly enjoyed it, on my third playthrough right now. Facial animations are ehh and the variety in enemies is still one thing I want to push the developers in future titles or the DLC episodes. There's a lot of potential for more besides

Regular Taken, Heavy Taken, Speedy Taken, Crows, Possessed Objects, "Monster Truck" Machinery, and that Dirt Shoveler you fight twice that stays in place with the swinging claw.

Still though, and besides I realize it's not for everyone, what there is I enjoyed a lot and looking forward to the two DLC episodes.

Also hoping more people will pick this up, since I think a sequel could improve on a lot of issues and turn; in my opinion, a very unique game and fun game with lots of potential into a fantastic game, they have a lot of the assets worked out, if they just expand it, it could be like what Uncharted 2 to , Mass Effect 2 to 1, Mario Galaxy 2 to 1, and such. In other words, it's an IP I really do hope gets made, but as Remedy have said they want too, but it all depends on sales go.

Well here's to being hopefull becuase I think this game really deserves a sequel even though i'm not finished yet.

Though I can't really see too many more enemy types. Pretty much everything in there was trying to kill you. Maybe dogs?

Well here's to being hopefull becuase I think this game really deserves a sequel even though i'm not finished yet.

Though I can't really see too many more enemy types. Pretty much everything in there was trying to kill you. Maybe dogs?

Well first of all, if you look in Chapter 4 of Alan Wake in Hartman's Office, there's the painting of the guy who's drawing things he see's. He draws pictures of Alan, the Taken, and the Crows, but beyond that he also has painting of wolves possessed by the Darkness, some twisted looking people who look chalk white with black gaping holes for eyes and mouth (make and female version) and now let me say a few more I thought were going to happen but didn't.

Some spoilers, not huge, but marking them.

-Buck-Tooth Charlie. It would have been SO cool to fight a giant possessed mammoth skeleton! It's like they joked and hinted at it but it never happened, which was a shame.

-Bears. There was a bear warning and plenty of forest... I think everyone would shit bricks if they saw a freaking BEAR possessed by the darkness charging towards them.

-Child and Female Taken. In the game they are all Adult Men. Imagine Taken that are female, or like a Child Taken running around and laughing and saying stuff like, "I love you daddy!" with nightmarish music playing.

-Deer. I mean, with Deerfest and all it seemed like a good possibility. Hear a twig break then turn and see a deer howl at you in the forest.

-Deerfest Blimp. It was SO close to being an enemy, it gets possessed by the Darkness in Chapter 5 but then it just zooms right past you and doesn't actually fight you. Even if it was just like the bulldozer for example I would of been happy, it would of also been cool on the narrow road and such.

-Darkness Residue. This is the black gooey stuff on the ground in the game. It would be cool if they could expand on the idea but maybe make it so some goop is maybe larger and alive, intelligent and can attack you.

-Taken Barn Animals! Imagine fighting barnyard animals possessed like Cows, Pigs, Chickens!

-Make Darkness Have More Abilities Over the Possessed. It can already make some Taken run super fast as if their teleporting, so it could provide other means of attack. Like maybe a Taken that hides into a puddle of shadow a bit darker than the other shadows and comes towards you, jumps out, and attacks. Or other special abilities like Taken being able to fly around like the possessed objects and swoop in on you.

-Darkness Solidifying. Maybe as the Darkness gains power through the game it could take on more of a form of it's own. Start with regular people, but maybe after a while the Darkness around some of the Taken gets thicker and more liquidy than gassy, like two slurpy shadow arms sticking on the back of a Taken which can extend to it the player, encouraging you more to stay away from it, and to take it out you need to take out either arm and then take out the base Taken as a normal Taken.

-Darkness Monsters. Make them more realistic than tentacles and gore since know that's not what the developers are going for, but maybe late in the game you can have fights with pure Darkness. Imagine a LITERAL Shadow Monster. tall and skinny, fast and screeching like the noises the Darkness makes and shaking as if caught between our reality and the Dark Presence.

-FINAL BOSS SPOILERS BEWARE. An actual styled final boss, I mean I loved the final battle we have against the Tornado over Cauldron Lake, but it was over all too fast. A fight with the Darkness entity would of been great...

Just a few examples... >_>;

^Hmm I never noticed considering I walked right past that room -_-'. Also yeah it would have been cool to fight all those guys. Give the game some variety but like I said I didn't mind. I was too busy fighting the Taken to really get good look.

Edit: Still don't know how to use the spoiler tags. :/

Edited by Torcano