Awoo.

Sonic needs you to save him from SAGY Wii award

Detective Shadzter

"No one bought it for you, they bought it for him [Mario]"

If that's the case then why did it outsell Mario Galaxy? I'd love to hear his response to that. Although Olympic games was on two systems...Bah, its still a biased poll any way you slice it.

Edited by Icecoldfrieza
  • Thumbs Up 1

HEY GUYZ LETS RAID THEIR FORUMS!!

I would vote for Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics (if I could be bothered, which I can't), since out of the two of those three games I've actually played I found it to be rather dull.

"No one bought it for you, they bought it for him [Mario]"

Wow... That has to be one of the most ignorant things I've heard in a while...

Screw that, I'd vote for SatBK if I could be bothered.

That was one of the worst games I've played, and is second behind Sonic Unleashed as my least favourite Sonic game.

M&SatWOG is crap too, well IMO anyway as I don't like the olympics or crossover ideas, but if this was nominated purely on the fact people dislike Sonic then that's stupid.

And the wii sports resort I don't really view as being a game; it's just a generic crappy wii flailing practice routine.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Does voting really matter? When's the last time ScrewAttack was mentioned on these boards or any other Sonic Board in general?

I don't know how big they are, but these kinds of things they're doing on this "SAGY" stuff is just "meh". Pointless on their part if you ask me. They more into the luz from what it looks, especially if they're going to put two games with Sonic's name on it.

Oh yeah, lol. They (and myself) should've noticed that. Well its atleast still Nintendo exclusive, huh? Ninjabread Man was on PS2

So apparently people here can't take a joke. I'm surprised no one here is raging about Craig's comment prior to "people bought this game only for Mario" about how no one cares about the winter olympics. But I guess that was the only comment in that video that wasn't a poke at stereotypes.

If you actually take a look at their forums and the Wii nominee topic, you can see M&S got the least amount of nominations of the 3, none of which saying they hated it cause it had Sonic in it, their reasons being the lackluster gameplay and not what their ultimate crossover game should be, among other things.

Black Knight on the other hand got probably the most nominations, which is saying something.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Black Knight on the other hand got probably the most nominations, which is saying something

It's saying that many people do not like Sonic with sword, that's all. The game may actually be pretty good. I myself enjoyed it's gameplay, graphics, music and story! And don't forget that there are A LOT of fanservice there.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It's saying that many people do not like Sonic with sword, that's all. The game may actually be pretty good. I myself enjoyed it's gameplay, graphics, music and story! And don't forget that there are A LOT of fanservice there.

No, it was just bad.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You say that as if it is a fact, Yong. :-/ I really liked Black Knight, even though the sword didn't react right away sometimes. I still think the sword was a cool idea. Maybe if SEGA had waited for WiiMotion+ the game would've been better..

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It's important to never confuse aesthetics and gameplay.

Visually and ideally, Sonic and the Black Knight should have been a fantastic game. But the gameplay had a terrible lack of flow.

Also, waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle waggle

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You say that as if it is a fact, Yong. :-/ I really liked Black Knight, even though the sword didn't react right away sometimes. I still think the sword was a cool idea. Maybe if SEGA had waited for WiiMotion+ the game would've been better..

All the Wii motion plus does it make the existing motions more accurate. The sword in Black Knight doesn't follow your motions, it's just "mapped to waggle". The notion plus would have made it respond slightly more reliably... Assuming they actually are able to sort it out. In this situation, the motion plus just gives more data, the game still has to decide what counts as a waggle.

Walk a bit spazz out with the sword, spend 10 minutes trying to figure out what the game wants you to do to get past a sticking point, repeat - SatBK in a nutshell. Oh, and they make a bunch hopefully unintentional sexual innuendos between Sonic and caliburn, and they also made a lot of references to a bunch of games I didn't like. I can't help but wonder why they would have had Sonic using a broadsword. Rather than have him use a saber or a scimitar or a Dao or a Makhaira or a Falchion or a Katana, they had him use a broadsword. For those who aren't familiar with the usage of such a weapon, a broadsword is basically a pointy club, they were meant to inflict blunt trauma through plate mail.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

In all honesty, Black Knight probably deserves the award, and I think we'd have to be idiots to deny it. There's no need to defend this game over some hilariously misplaced sense of "loyalty", and the sooner the fandom can learn to overcome that and call out a shit Sonic game as a shit Sonic game the better the fandom will be for it. The only real issue I see here is that people hate the games for all the wrong reasons, but honestly, if you're not a part of the ScrewAttack community then who the fuck cares? You all have your own views and opinions to look to and you don't need a biased media site to tell you or anyone else what to enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 3

In all honesty, Black Knight probably deserves the award, and I think we'd have to be idiots to deny it. There's no need to defend this game over some hilariously misplaced sense of "loyalty", and the sooner the fandom can learn to overcome that and call out a shit Sonic game as a shit Sonic game the better the fandom will be for it. The only real issue I see here is that people hate the games for all the wrong reasons, but honestly, if you're not a part of the ScrewAttack community then who the fuck cares? You all have your own views and opinions to look to and you don't need a biased media site to tell you or anyone else what to enjoy.

I fully agree with this. Personally I feel that this fanbase would be a lot better if we didn't have to bend over for every Sonic game that comes out. It's ok to not like a game, I never understood where the whole "you must like every sonic game to be a real fan" ideology came in to play but it sucks. However, if you are one who happens to like one of the games on that list, it's ok and doesn't warrant you joining a message board to "sabotage" a voting poll in a community in which your vote will barely count (run on sentence ftl). And quit giving me negative points for stating my opinion on the situation, I am not an evil sonic hating bastard people seem to think I am here.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

No game deserves this sort of treatment, least of all Sonic and the Black Knight. You may not like the game, but that is not to say that all Sonic fans feel the same way. Yes, Sonic uses a sword; it is a perfectly natural way to use the Wii mote. It is perfectly reasonable that Sonic Team’s experiments with the Wii would result in this sort of gameplay mechanics. Sonic and the Black Knight is not a normal Sonic game and neither does it have to be. I always think it is better to judge a game according to its own merits, play the game how it is men to be played.

To this end, I think that Sonic and the Black Knight is a good Sonic game. For a start, I consider the sword to be an interesting extension of normal Sonic gameplay; it does not impede the normal acrobatic movements which Sonic is famous for. More over, I am pleased with this game's level design, featuring multiple paths and a fair amount of platforming. Although I hate to compare different Sonic games; however, I believe the level designs to be a vast improvement over Sonic and the Secret Rings. Ultimately, I am happy with the game and I wouldn’t mind seeing another game in the ‘story book’ series.

For what it’s worth, it is clear that Screw Attack did not slam Sonic and the Black Knight because of its gameplay. By their own admission these games were selected because they feature Sonic, this is the only reason they deemed necessary and certainly the one which would be most inflammatory. I imagine that they would have gone after Sonic Unleashed as well; but given the limited spaces it would seem they also wanted to attack Wii Sports Resort at the same time. As I said before, these games may have been chosen through the forum but it is Screw Attack who decided to go for the most negative opinion possible. The poll itself means little, offering no insight into why these games were chosen, allowing Screw Attack make any sort of rant they wanted.

Edited by Kintor
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 4

No game deserves this sort of treatment, least of all Sonic and the Black Knight. You may not like the game, but that is not to say that all Sonic fans feel the same way. Yes, Sonic uses a sword; it is a perfectly natural way to use the Wii mote. It is perfectly reasonable that Sonic Team’s experiments with the Wii would result in this sort of gameplay mechanics. Sonic and the Black Knight is not a normal Sonic game and neither does it have to be. I always think it is better to judge a game according to its own merits, play the game how it is men to be played.

To this end, I think that Sonic and the Black Knight is a good Sonic game. For a start, I consider the sword to be an interesting extension of normal Sonic gameplay; it does not impede the normal acrobatic movements which Sonic is famous for. More over, I am pleased with this game's level design, featuring multiple paths and a fair amount of platforming. Although I hate to compare different Sonic games; however, I believe the level designs to be a vast improvement over Sonic and the Secret Rings. Ultimately, I am happy with the game and I wouldn’t mind seeing another game in the ‘story book’ series.

For what it’s worth, it is clear that Screw Attack did not slam Sonic and the Black Knight because of its gameplay. By their own admission these games were selected because they feature Sonic, this is the only reason they deemed necessary and certainly the one which would be most inflammatory. I imagine that they would have gone after Sonic Unleashed as well; but given the limited spaces it would seem they also wanted to attack Wii Sports Resort at the same time. As I said before, these games may have been chosen through the forum but it is Screw Attack who decided to go for the most negative opinion possible. The poll itself means little, offering no insight into why these games were chosen, allowing Screw Attack make any sort of rant they wanted.

Screwattack actually did a "first-impression" look at the game in their Out of the Box series, which is archived at their site, and a pros-&-cons look in Ben's The Scoop series. And they didn't like the gameplay then either. Again if you want to see the reasoning for why the g1s nominated Black Knight, the topic is in the nominations forum, and most of the nominations complained about the gameplay. The crew has nothing to do with how the votes went.

No game deserves this sort of treatment
And here I thought people couldn't possibly be that delusional. Say what you will about SatBK, but to say that there isn't a single game out there that doesn't deserve to be pointed and laughed at for being a crap game is nothing short of flat-out denial.

You may not like the game, but that is not to say that all Sonic fans feel the same way.
And it goes without saying that a good many of those Sonic fans are idiots. These are many of the same people who defended games like '06 and ShTH, before you contest that.

Yes, Sonic uses a sword; it is a perfectly natural way to use the Wii mote. It is perfectly reasonable that Sonic Team’s experiments with the Wii would result in this sort of gameplay mechanics.
It is also perfectly reasonable to expect that the swordplay not result in uninspired generic waggle that literally could've been done better with a face button. Motion control is completely pointless if there's no depth to it, no reason to actually swing in a specific direction (let alone, no different outcome) - it is simply put, incredibly un-intuitive, un-satisfying, and beyond all else, incredibly fucking lazy. The Wii is designed for far more sensitivity than this, and if you're not going to utilze it, it might as well be a PS2 game with slightly prettier graphics and a maraca controller.

Sonic and the Black Knight is not a normal Sonic game and neither does it have to be.
I'm sorry, did anyone actually claim otherwise here, let alone myself?

I always think it is better to judge a game according to its own merits, play the game how it is men to be played.
Urge to make homophobic joke... rising.
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Bad Quality Post 5

The video game worlds hatred against Sonic is really starting to make me sad. I still love Sonic and his series despite its many flaws and failings, and even though i fully realize why the world outside of the immediate fanbase doesnt love Sonic anymore (namely, because of the series endless parade of mediocre to bad installments) i feel that this outright hostility towards the series is unfounded. Just because you dont like anything doesnt mean you have to hate it...

And as i have mentioned many times before, what makes me the most worried about the way Sonic has been made one of the biggest buttmonkeys/jokes of the video game industry is that younger gamers might eventually (or might have started already to) see Sonic as nothing but a buttmonkey. The view of Sonic that most older gamers have is at least that "Sonic sucks, but at least he used to be cool" whereas people who are to young to remember the days when Sonic was pretty much liked by all gamers might instead merely have the view that "Sonic sucks". Seriously, even though probably the most common view of Sonic nowadys is that he is "that character who used to rock, but now sucks" i ahve a feeling that in a few decades, Sonic is pretty much just gonna be considered "that pathetic character who tried to to become bigger than Mario about a million years ago, and failed misserably".

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic is pretty much just gonna be considered "that pathetic character who tried to to become bigger than Mario about a million years ago, and failed misserably".

Even as a Mario fan- and one who vastly prefers Mario to Sonic at that- I cannot deny that in the 90s Sonic had become a bigger commercial success than my favorite game series, and his acclaim was certainly well-earned. While I experienced what you might call hype aversion to the franchise due to its annoyingly confrontational marketing, I now know that those old games were good. Damn good, and even though Mario's still my number one series, Sonic's original games were nothing short of platforming genius.

As someone who got into the franchise late, and arguably after it had just started to decline, I can attest to still being able to appreciate Sonic's worth as a game series. I certainly can't speak for all newcomers, but in my case, Sonic's greatness was not lost on me, despite not personally growing up with it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Screwattack actually did a "first-impression" look at the game in their Out of the Box series, which is archived at their site, and a pros-&-cons look in Ben's The Scoop series. And they didn't like the gameplay then either. Again if you want to see the reasoning for why the g1s nominated Black Knight, the topic is in the nominations forum, and most of the nominations complained about the gameplay. The crew has nothing to do with how the votes went.

Of course, I’m not denying that this award was decided by Gametrailer’s forum members. However, this poll has no way to take into account what everyone really thought about a game. Sure, you could trawl through a few threads but this won’t help much, given all the opposing and contradictory viewpoints contained within. Besides, just even announcing a ‘worst game of the year’ award is going to skew the poll. Screw Attack wanted a whiny and negative response from their fans; the whole award process encourages that sort of thinking. In the end Screw Attack gets the last word, with the videos they make, vindicating whichever sour view they happen to agree with.

[quote name='Blacklightning' date='16 December 2009 - 09:58 AM' timestamp='1260921512' post='107069'

It is also perfectly reasonable to expect that the swordplay not result in uninspired generic waggle that literally could've been done better with a face button. Motion control is completely pointless if there's no depth to it, no reason to actually swing in a specific direction (let alone, no different outcome) - it is simply put, incredibly un-intuitive, un-satisfying, and beyond all else, incredibly fucking lazy. The Wii is designed for far more sensitivity than this, and if you're not going to utilze it, it might as well be a PS2 game with slightly prettier graphics and a maraca controller.

Edited by Kintor
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Of course, I’m not denying that this award was decided by Gametrailer’s forum members. However, this poll has no way to take into account what everyone really thought about a game. Sure, you could trawl through a few threads but this won’t help much, given all the opposing and contradictory viewpoints contained within. Besides, just even announcing a ‘worst game of the year’ award is going to skew the poll. Screw Attack wanted a whiny and negative response from their fans; the whole award process encourages that sort of thinking. In the end Screw Attack gets the last word, with the videos they make, vindicating whichever sour view they happen to agree with.

Won't help? All the nominations were write ins. Everyone that nominated a game had to type at least something. Most people that vote in the actual voting topics also tend to leave comments. But that point is you can clearly see "everyone's" thoughts on the game, at least the ones that cared to nominate it. And Screwattack doesn't get the "last word" in this at all. The games that got the most nominations FROM THE COMMUNITY got put up for voting, assuming they qualified for this year and exculsitivity.

So now I'm confused. What is it you guys are more hurt about? The fact that Sonic games were nominated in the first place, or the nomination video itself? The nominees video itself isn't any different from the stuff Screwattack usually puts out, or from the gaming communities general outlook on Sonic these days. If it's the nomination then go bitch at the community over at Screwattack.com instead of hiding here. Go vote for Wii Sports Resort if you think it's the worser of the 3. Do a write in. Who knows, if you get enough write ins you may actually save the 3 games that were actually nominated. If Black Knight's not a bad game then go defend it.