Awoo.

Sonic needs you to save him from SAGY Wii award

Detective Shadzter

Nah, I don’t think I will playing Screw Attack’s game. If I go over there, the whole conversation will be on Screw Attack’s terms. Essentially, if I want to defend a game I can only do it by condemning another. In this way, due to the whole award’s design, there will only be room negative anecdotes and trolls; right now it just looks like one endless flamewar. Call me old fashioned but I’m a gamer because I like playing games, I prefer to talk about the joys of this hobby and not slam developers for every slight error and weird design choice. Screw Attack’s ‘shock jock’ style of entertainment isn’t about the games, it’s a contest to see who can get the angriest and worked up about something for cheap laughs. Frankly, I don’t care for it.

Now normally I’d leave well enough alone, the internet is a limitless expanse and I just can’t be everywhere at once. However, if this sort of topic comes up in a place I frequently, I’ll happily chip in. Message boards are about discussion, I contribute to what is being said, just as you have replied to this post. Here, I’ve made two contributions to this thread. I’ve explained what I think of Sonic and the Black Knight, defending what I see as a good game. More importantly, I’ve state what I think of Screw Attack and their flame bait of an award, in my view this was more or less the focus of this thread. I hope that this explains matters a little more clearly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, it's Stuttering Craig. From what I've gathered from another forum he's one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys on the planet and has this hatred of the Genesis.

Or at least that's what I hear.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can think of at least 10+ Wii games this year, that were more fail, then those three. Its actually not that difficult.

• Thumbs Up 1

Guys, it's Stuttering Craig. From what I've gathered from another forum he's one of the biggest Nintendo fanboys on the planet and has this hatred of the Genesis.

Again I'd recommend people check out their archived episode of Out of the Box on Black Knight(search for Out of the Box on their site). You can literally see Craig's faith in the Sonic series drop like a rock as the episode goes on, to at the end where he declares he's done with the series. So it doesn't come as a surprise to me that he felt the way he felt when doing the Wii nominees video.

In other news, Sonic 06 fanboys better hurry and defend that game at Screwattack cause it's going for worst game of the decade.

Edited by Yong
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

You know what they keep doing, not actually giving a REASON for WHY the shitty Sonic game of the week was so bad. The PS3 SAGY was bad because it was a boring uneventful photography simulator and the Downloadable SAGY was bad because it "took away the different moves, pretty graphics, and music" as they say, as for the Wii SAGY.......................................... It's a not good Sonic game... Sure having a name as big as him getting a "string" of bad games does hit hard, but that DOESN'T make the game any more bad than the other crap that's on the Wii.

But of course, that's if I actually cared about these SAGYs.

Even though I hate SatBK, I still think there were worse games on the Wii this year. Like I said, I HATE SatBK, but I think the worst Wii game of the year is Hannah Montana.

Black Knight DESERVED that award plain and simple. Not only is the whole concept of the game laughably bad to begin with, but it's not even executed decently! In fact, let's put it this way:

You use a sword, and can't control where it goes.

I repeat:

You use a sword, and can't control where it goes.

Do I honestly need to say anything else?

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic travelling to Arthurian times in the Storybook Series of all spinoff series and having swordsmanship attempted to be properly combined with normal gameplay is a 'laughably bad' idea? I dunno; Seems like a pretty logical set-up to me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The game had plenty of graphical polish as far as Wii games go - but like I said, maraca controller. To think it could at least have made par with Secret Rings if it'd just used a button press for the sword swinging. Another thing I find odd about the combat is that there actually is some variation in moves, but it requires tilting the control stick instead of swinging in a different direction. That fucking baffles me.

I think AAUK on the front page article's comments makes a good point -

Screwattack don’t get (like many people don’t seem to get) that just because a game has a character they have played in their lifetime in it it doesn’t mean that any follow up game is aimed at them. Do you guys honestly think SBK was aimed at the Screwattack-type of audience?

No.

This game and the whole Storybook series is aimed at the younger fans and gamers who don't care if "Sonic has a sword OMG! FAIL", if "Sonic's in Arthurian times OMG! FAIL", if "Sonic's sword talks OMG! FAIL" and if "Sonic's sword doesn't have 1:1 precision OMG! FAIL".

The game's story is just supposed to be simple enough for a kid to understand and the gameplay easy enough for a kid to understand which is probably why the sword controls probably aren't 1:1. The producer said it was too late to add in the then freshly announced Wii Motion Plus anyway and I'm sure the producer said in an interview that this game was being aimed at the younger crowd too.

• Thumbs Up 2

So we're not allowed to call it a bad game just because it's aimed at eight year olds? Absurd. You know what other game was aimed at eight year olds? Sonic 2.

and the gameplay easy enough for a kid to understand which is probably why the sword controls probably aren't 1:1.

They weren't 1:1 because doing that with the bare Wiimote isn't practical.

The game's story is just supposed to be simple enough for a kid to understand
Satbk plot is over 9000 better than that one in unleashed IMO. To my mind, Satbk is a great game with great graphics(better than in unleashed wii), better design, music, character roster and bonuses than in unleashed. And the gams has a LOT of fanservise. I love this game, despite the sword, which i kind of dislike.
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

So we're not allowed to call it a bad game just because it's aimed at eight year olds? Absurd. You know what other game was aimed at eight year olds? Sonic 2.

They weren't 1:1 because doing that with the bare Wiimote isn't practical.

I'm just saying people should go easier on it since it was aimed at the VERY young kids, younger than 8 I'd say since the plots from young childrens stories. Sonic 2 was aimed at a wide variety of ages in my oppinion, there's nothing in that game that makes out its aimed at the very young crowd.

As AAUK said in his post I quoted, "just because a game has a character they have played in their lifetime in it it doesn’t mean that any follow up game is aimed at them". That means us hardcore Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm just saying people should go easier on it since it was aimed at the VERY young kids, younger than 8 I'd say since the plots from young childrens stories.

You have to realize that I don't care. Being aimed at me or not doesn't really affect whether or not it's a good game. And I'm pretty sure that The Once and Future King isn't exactly a book for little kids. Oh wait, it's based on those picture books that are based on The Once and Future King, isn't it? Oh well, it's not like the game's story make enough sense for that to matter.

Sonic 2 was aimed at a wide variety of ages in my oppinion, there's nothing in that game that makes out its aimed at the very young crowd.

So they should try and do that instead of of this storybook tomfoolery. Black Knight was a commercial flop, so what they're doing apparently isn't working well for anyone.

sonic deserves it

This one is gonna cost a lot of reputation lol

Edited by Jaouad
  • Bad Quality Post 1

You have to realize that I don't care. Being aimed at me or not doesn't really affect whether or not it's a good game. And I'm pretty sure that The Once and Future King isn't exactly a book for little kids. Oh wait, it's based on those picture books that are based on The Once and Future King, isn't it? Oh well, it's not like the game's story make enough sense for that to matter.

So they should try and do that instead of of this storybook tomfoolery. Black Knight was a commercial flop, so what they're doing apparently isn't working well for anyone.

@ Point 1:

No-one is forcing you to buy a game aimed at a different audience.

@Point 2:

Sonic Team/SEGA are just trying to entertain a different audience with the Storybook Series and bring more fan's over to the franchise, that's not a bad thing in my book. We hardcore fans who have been around since the beginning are getting older and not everyone is going to stand by the franchise forever so they've got to draw in the younger crowd.

So what if it hasn't sold too well, you can't blame them for trying something new. At the end of the day video game production is a business, fan service is a factor but that alone doesn't bring in the cash flow.

• Thumbs Up 1

This game and the whole Storybook series is aimed at the younger fans and gamers who don't care if "Sonic has a sword OMG! FAIL", if "Sonic's in Arthurian times OMG! FAIL", if "Sonic's sword talks OMG! FAIL" and if "Sonic's sword doesn't have 1:1 precision OMG! FAIL".

The game's story is just supposed to be simple enough for a kid to understand and the gameplay easy enough for a kid to understand which is probably why the sword controls probably aren't 1:1. The producer said it was too late to add in the then freshly announced Wii Motion Plus anyway and I'm sure the producer said in an interview that this game was being aimed at the younger crowd too.

I'm sorry, I missed the part where aiming for kids is an excuse for laziness/not trying.

Oh wait, there is no such part, because there isn't. Well, at least there SHOULDN'T be.

• Thumbs Up 1

The game's story is just supposed to be simple enough for a kid to understand

The story was, without a doubt, one of the games strong points. While it was short, it did have quite a lot of character development and had a lot of underlying themes about loyalty(Knuckles' only purpose to serving a king being put into question), morality(Sonic technically being the villain, and the "worst kind of knight" in that he has to go on to be a "slayer of kings", as well as

Merlina wanting to prevent the world from eventually coming to an end)

, and living life each day to it's fullest. If anything, it was several times more deep than most stories in the series. Simple, yes, but it definitely wasn't one that could only be liked by little kids.

the gameplay easy enough for a kid to understand which is probably why the sword controls probably aren't 1:1.

That really doesn't excuse the game from at least having a control scheme that was deeper beyond "wagglewagglewagglewagglewagglegetarthritis", like, you know, having different directional sword swings depending on direction of Wii-mote swings? And the VERY unresponsiveness of the controls only adds salt to the wound.

Black Knight was a commercial flop, so what they're doing apparently isn't working well for anyone.

I don't think thats quite accurate. Besides Secret Rings wasn't. Sega releases in that period didn't seem to do well commercially in general. And were taking about the better Wii games relaesed around that time, if not this year.

Given the very nature of this poll, what this poll data actually shows, is that Nintendo Wii fans primarily play first party titles and Sega third party Sonic games. And given the sales of said games, its not that far off from being true.

Edited by blackherox

You know, the "game built for kids" argument is kinda ironic really, considering various sections of the game are actually ridiculuously hard, often for the wrong reasons (most notably the Blaze boss fight and several of the post-King-Arthur levels). The funny thing is, I could have sworn they tried that same justification for Unleashed, and well, fake difficulty or no I'm sure it doesn't need saying that it IS a fucking hard game either way. Maybe they're just making up excuses or plain missing the point entirely.

Come to think of it, didn't ScrewAttack review Sonic 3 and Knuckles for the Genesis and said that it was a bad game? I could've sworn they had a video of it.

I just got WSR. All things considered, if I chose between the three as the worst, I'd pick Unleashed. WSR is way, way better than Unleashed, no contest. Black Knight is more in the middle.

Edited by The Sniper