Awoo.

Sonic needs you to save him from SAGY Wii award

Detective Shadzter

The story was, without a doubt, one of the games strong points. While it was short, it did have quite a lot of character development and had a lot of underlying themes about loyalty(Knuckles' only purpose to serving a king being put into question), morality(Sonic technically being the villain, and the "worst kind of knight" in that he has to go on to be a "slayer of kings", as well as

Merlina wanting to prevent the world from eventually coming to an end)

, and living life each day to it's fullest. If anything, it was several times more deep than most stories in the series. Simple, yes, but it definitely wasn't one that could only be liked by little kids.

That really doesn't excuse the game from at least having a control scheme that was deeper beyond "wagglewagglewagglewagglewagglegetarthritis", like, you know, having different directional sword swings depending on direction of Wii-mote swings? And the VERY unresponsiveness of the controls only adds salt to the wound.

I didn't say older people couldn't enjoy the story, I'm 23 and I enjoyed it. I'm just saying it was simple enough for a child to understand.

I don't think a child would care about direction as long as they can make the sword swing. It would be nice to have at least a Zelda Twilight Princess directional control but I think they must have been trying to make things as easy as possible for really young players.

You know, the "game built for kids" argument is kinda ironic really, considering various sections of the game are actually ridiculuously hard, often for the wrong reasons (most notably the Blaze boss fight and several of the post-King-Arthur levels). The funny thing is, I could have sworn they tried that same justification for Unleashed, and well, fake difficulty or no I'm sure it doesn't need saying that it IS a fucking hard game either way. Maybe they're just making up excuses or plain missing the point entirely.

Why would they use it as an excuse? The producer said during development in an interview that it was aimed at a younger audience and SEGA staffer AAUK pretty much said it in the post I quoted earlier.

• Thumbs Up 1

SatBK's story is weird. The game doesn't seem set up well. It starts with Merlinia being chased, but offers no explanation as to why, where she is going, or what the chain of events that lead up to this scene were. Then after the bit with Sonic, they teleport away. In the tutorial level, Sonic has a sword with no explanation. Then he gets Caliburn who is basically the love interest for the rest of the game. After that, there's a period of time with little explanation or structure to the story, things just kind of happen. The Lady of the Lake tells him the three things he has to do to become a knight. I think we're supposed to believe that he does two of them over the course of the next few levels, because the third test is the only one that actually gets mentioned again. Then some stuff happens and you kill fake Aurthur in an astonishingly bad boss fight and the game gives you a false credit roll. Why? Just why? The seconds half of the game is mostly linear, and thus makes more sense, though it is funny that the developers were expecting players to just happen to pick the right character for each level, otherwise it creates a continuity error.

@ Point 1:

No-one is forcing you to buy a game aimed at a different audience.

@Point 2:

Sonic Team/SEGA are just trying to entertain a different audience with the Storybook Series and bring more fan's over to the franchise, that's not a bad thing in my book. We hardcore fans who have been around since the beginning are getting older and not everyone is going to stand by the franchise forever so they've got to draw in the younger crowd.

So what if it hasn't sold too well, you can't blame them for trying something new. At the end of the day video game production is a business, fan service is a factor but that alone doesn't bring in the cash flow.

Re point 1:

I didn't buy for the same reason as I'm criticizing it.

Re Point 2:

No, they're slapping Sonic on the cover and expecting kids to buy it. They must not have realized that that wouldn't work without Sonic X on the air.

I don't think thats quite accurate. Besides Secret Rings wasn't. Sega releases in that period didn't seem to do well commercially in general. And were taking about the better Wii games relaesed around that time, if not this year.

Given the very nature of this poll, what this poll data actually shows, is that Nintendo Wii fans primarily play first party titles and Sega third party Sonic games. And given the sales of said games, its not that far off from being true.

More likely a bunch of people bought Secret Rings and didn't like it and thus weren't interested in buying the next game. SatBK was a flop, though, it hung around the very bottom of the top 40 for a month or two, and then didn't show up again.

I just got WSR. All things considered, if I chose between the three as the worst, I'd pick Unleashed. WSR is way, way better than Unleashed, no contest. Black Knight is more in the middle.

Unleashed wasn't even in the poll!

More likely a bunch of people bought Secret Rings and didn't like it and thus weren't interested in buying the next game. SatBK was a flop, though, it hung around the very bottom of the top 40 for a month or two, and then didn't show up again.
It may be a flop, but it won't make a dent on Sega's finance. The game was produced on a really low budget, so despite the low sales, it won't affect Sega at all.

... It wasn't? CURSE MY SHODDY MEMORY!

Also it was last year.

In other news, Sonic 06 wins Worst Game of the Decade, beating out Big Rigs by 1% of the vote, and also beating Mortal Kombat Special Forces, Daikatana, and Bomberman Act Zero.

I don't care if Sonic wins or loses hating polls. To be honest, I don't give a damn about some site that loses time in such, instead of spending it in a far more constructive way. It's all for the pageviews and the Sonic community is huge after all.

We all know that the worst thing that can happen to a product is being ignored. But Black Knicht is talked more than some of the best games the Wii had this year, like Madworld, and sells better as well. Sonic 06 sold a lot as well. It's also what hurts the haters and fanboys the most. I know how they feel, because even though it's in a whole different level of shit, I hate Wii Fit.

Let them have their Sonic hate fad. If jeering and pointing at games instead of playing is what makes them happy, them let them be. Because I doubt 1/10 of those who voted, even played one minute of the game in the first place.

That said, I don't like Black Knight much. It's not bad, but it's not good either. Worst game of the Wii is laughable however. I didn't mass vote either. This little victory they had, will be forgotten in a couple of days, until they cause a riot by slashing yet another Sonic game again.

I can't say a word about 06 though. Stupid Beta.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's a lot of words from someone that apparently doesn't care. Just saying.

Screwattack doesn't need to bash Sonic to get page views. And AGAIN Screwattack didn't do the actual voting, the community did.

More likely a bunch of people bought Secret Rings and didn't like it and thus weren't interested in buying the next game.

I'd put it down to little to no advertising on Sega's Part, or a general lack of interest in Sega published games considering that, MadWorld, Conduit and House of the Dead which were considerably better games (and probably some of the best games released on the wii this year) were released in the same period but also sold poorly.

SatBK was a flop, though, it hung around the very bottom of the top 40 for a month or two, and then didn't show up again.

Flop how?

Flop as in it didn't sell a bucket load like most Sonic games? yes, of course. Flop as is in Sega lost money? Erm no.

Edited by blackherox

In other news, Sonic 06 wins Worst Game of the Decade, beating out Big Rigs by 1% of the vote,
...y'know, I'm all for seeing a shit Sonic game as a shit Sonic game, that much we've gathered, but there's no way Sonic '06 could possibly be as bad as Big Rigs, of all things. But eh, I guess that's what you get for letting the public decide.
  • Thumbs Up 1

In other news, Sonic 06 wins Worst Game of the Decade, beating out Big Rigs by 1% of the vote, and also beating Mortal Kombat Special Forces, Daikatana, and Bomberman Act Zero.

Yeah, I don't care about your "IT WAS LIKE SUCH A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!!!" or "HE WAS SUCH A BIG ICON!1!" You can NOT tell me with a straight face that

even LOOKED more playable, entertaining, visual pleasing, or ANYTHING better than
  • Thumbs Up 1

Satbk plot is over 9000 better than that one in unleashed IMO.

I disagree. I think Unleashed's story was waaaaaaaaaaay better than SatBK.

And that's where you and Fenix are wrong. I prefer BK's story more, but BOTH stories are very well-written and are entertaining in their own rights.

That Big Rigs video is really terrible. Sonic 06 won the prize because it was actually talked about. No one cares about Big Rigs. Elise kissing Sonic appears in videogame media even in 2009.

That's a lot of words from someone that apparently doesn't care. Just saying.

Just because I can't care less about one thing, it doesn't automatically mean I have no critic spirit about it either. I don't care about the daisy flower whatsoever, but I have ideas about it: it's white and has a yellow centre and I suppose it's pretty. Do I care about it? No. I'm sure you can find a million examples more.

Screwattack doesn't need to bash Sonic to get page views. And AGAIN Screwattack didn't do the actual voting, the community did.

Screwattack put up a hating poll to begin with. That's wasting their and the users' time in my opinion, and that's what I said in my post, along for the reasons: pageviews. The fact that Sonic won the poll is the haters part of my post I believe. It has nothing to do with Screwattack. I made paragraphs for a reason.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 1

Screwattack put up a hating poll to begin with. That's wasting their and the users' time in my opinion, and that's what I said in my post, along for the reasons: pageviews. The fact that Sonic won the poll is the haters part of my post I believe. It has nothing to do with Screwattack. I made paragraphs for a reason.

I'm just going to say given that argument, all discussion on video games is pointless. Our time would be better spent playing actual video games.

I'm just going to say given that argument, all discussion on video games is pointless. Our time would be better spent playing actual video games.

You're right. I still remember when games were good or bad depending on what people actually played to begin with, not an half-arsed review from some site on the internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

You're right. I still remember when games were good or bad depending on what people actually played to begin with, not an half-arsed review from some site on the internet.

You remember when we could play every video game ever made, good or bad, the day they came out, to their full extent? Ah those were the days.

I don't really care what one stupid poll says.

I love SBK and I'm damn proud of the game and damn proud that I worked on it and that my name is in the credits. If you enjoy the game, then that's all that matters, whether or not you actually enjoy the game and I do enjoy it very much so.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic & Black Knight, but clearly there are worse games out there than it, as with the other games? I mean I really don't care for these games at all, but couldn't they have chosen worse choices than Wii Sports Resort and Black Knight, what about Wacky World of Sports or something really shitty? The Shitty Ass Game of the Year Award shouldn't settle on something merely mediocre, they should have really dug through the worst of the worst to truly find something really shitty.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm not the biggest fan of Sonic & Black Knight, but clearly there are worse games out there than it, as with the other games? I mean I really don't care for these games at all, but couldn't they have chosen worse choices than Wii Sports Resort and Black Knight, what about Wacky World of Sports or something really shitty? The Shitty Ass Game of the Year Award shouldn't settle on something merely mediocre, they should have really dug through the worst of the worst to truly find something really shitty.

The games were chosen by the community and not the screw attack staff. While there is no doubt that there were a lot more awful Wii games released this year than the three nomainted, the chances of any of the community actually playing them or even acknowledging that they exist is next to zero. Hence why they haven't been nominated. Therefore, what you can conclude from this poll, is that most Nintendo Wii fans play first party Nintendo titles and Sonic games.

You remember when we could play every video game ever made, good or bad, the day they came out, to their full extent? Ah those were the days.

Yes I do. I still remember I bought good games completely by accident.

Come to think of it, didn't ScrewAttack review Sonic 3 and Knuckles for the Genesis and said that it was a bad game? I could've sworn they had a video of it.

Kind of. Craig did a review of Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. He stated that Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles individually were too short and lack luster, but combining them made one of the best games for the Sega Genesis, and that the extra development spent on making Sonic and Knuckles combine with Sonic 3 was worth the wait.

Kind of. Craig did a review of Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3 and Knuckles. He stated that Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles individually were too short and lack luster, but combining them made one of the best games for the Sega Genesis, and that the extra development spent on making Sonic and Knuckles combine with Sonic 3 was worth the wait.

I can agree with that. Once you go to S3&K, you never go back. I was never a big fan of Sonic and Knuckles by itself since it lacked a save feature, and Sonic 3 just isn't as great without Sonic & Knuckles. I guess it is true that the two separately are too short, Sonic 1 had 6 levels, and S2 had 11(?) levels, but they aren't any shorter than the games that came before it, but I digress.

Normally, I'm not one to call bias, but I do think that was the case here. Not in the voting, but for the selection. I mean, this is the Wii we're talking about here. There must have been at least twenty shovelware titles based on Disney sitcoms and lame cooking simulators this year that are far more deserving.

• Thumbs Up 1