Awoo.

PS2 getting discontinued in 2010?

Detective Shadzter

Was just checking out the Official Playstation sites release calendar and noticed Sony have removed the PS2 from the release calendar. Sony did say they were going for a 10 year life cycle with PS2 and PS3 after all so could we be seeing the console get its discontinuation announced in 2010?

http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/release-calendar/

The retailers like GAME only have 3 games listed for 2010 on the platform too -

http://www.game.co.uk/PlayStation-2/_/N-1z13mn2Z1z13f85/

It's got to die sometime, right? Methinks it won't truly die until the dawning of the next generation however; the Wii has given it an extended extension to its lifespan.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've never thought about that, Patticus, but it most certainly seems true. The Wii, being much lower spec than the 360 and PS3, meant that the PS2 wasn't totally outdated. Games could be slap-dash ported to it.

I've never used my PS2 before- I need to buy a controller for it. And I've had it for almost 4 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you ask me the PS2 will keep getting Wii or PSP ports for a little while yet.

But Sony may well be thinking about letting it go. Wouldn't surprise me really. But they can't fully transfer the PS2 fanbase until they make the PS3 much more affordable! A lot of people are still confused why new games aren't coming out on PS2 (believe it or not)

Bah, twas a pretty crappy console anyways, and I don't see why it's lasted so long besides parents buying it for their kiddies because it's cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The PS2 may be getting discontinued in 2010? Finally, some gaming justice; this is exactly what should have happened 9 years ago in the Dreamcast wars!

Well, I'm personally ecstatic that the bastard thing is on the way out; the console's entire abortive existence is a disgusting disgrace that I'll be glad to finally see the back of.

No more PS2! I'm free! FINALLY, I can walk through the corridors of my school without be harangued by the countless hordes of Sony fanboys that infest my life! Finally, I can walk through the aisles of GAME without seeing the tumour-like console and its vile software polluting the shelves! Finally, IT'S ALL OVER!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

.... I find the anti-PS2 in this thread to be a little disturbing...

Great library of games of every genre mean anything to you guys? No? Ok then.... :(

• Thumbs Up 2

Great library of games of every genre mean anything to you guys? No? Ok then.... :(

It's a Sega based fan site, a good number of folks think that anything after the holy Dreamcast deserves an explosive Judo flip from Segata himself.

Me personally, I'm kinda sad to see it go after hanging in there for so long and on such a sour note too (Madden rehash # 10, an Astro Boy game that isn't Omega Factor, and whatever the hell Stealth Force is).

The PS2 had a great library. It's sort of got nothing going for it now, though. I won't really miss it, since support kind of died. Last PS2 game I bought was Persona 4. None this year at all.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

The PS2 had a great library. It's sort of got nothing going for it now, though. I won't really miss it, since support kind of died. Last PS2 game I bought was Persona 4. None this year at all.

Persona 4 came out this year for us Brits!

A PS2 game came out in 2009 (9 years after PS2's launch) and it quickly became one of my favourite games of all time. That's not something to be taken lightly.

I'm a little depressed that Kingdom Hearts Re:CoM will never come out in Europe though. :/

I find it sad and utterly pathetic if you ask me.

I have never understood why so many sega fans blame the Playstation 2 for it's failure when one of the main causes for the Dreamcasts early departure was the fact that piracy on it was enormous and very little was done to counter it? Sony learnt that lesson with the PS1, when the PS1 was out, everybody knew a guy who lived down the road that could chip it or mod it, PS2 era... Ho ho! Very different story... same cannot be said for Dreamcast.

The Playstation 2 was really an outstanding console, the fact that it's not only lasted longer than the Dreamcast, the Xbox, and the gamecube, but has still been in production and still selling both units and software since the Xbox 360 came out way back in 2005 (thats 4 years ago) is quite astounding.

It really did have a lot of really great games, too many were denied a worldwide release if you ask me.

Still, even if it is discontinued, you'll never stop the second hand trading, that is going to go on for at least another 2 years before stores only give it a tiny space in their floor space.

• Thumbs Up 2

Still, even if it is discontinued, you'll never stop the second hand trading, that is going to go on for at least another 2 years before stores only give it a tiny space in their floor space.

Unfortunately some GAME stores (what a crapfest GAME has become) has already started limiting PS2 to small sections of new games and bargain bins.

They'll probably rip you off anyway <_<

Great post by the way.

@ Those who blame the PS2 for their game-related school troubles; I was the same, being a Gamecube/Nintendo fanboy a few years ago I never heard the end of it from those mainstream bullies. However despite this I have never once regretted discovering how awesome the PS2 and its games are.

It's still a little early to be saying "goodnight sweet prince" though.

But they can't fully transfer the PS2 fanbase until they make the PS3 much more affordable!

The price of the damn thing was halved less than three years after its initial release. It's a blu-ray player and HD gaming console in one. It offers almost as much as Xbox Live while simultaneously being entirely free so long as you have a broadband internet connection. It has a decent selection of quality titles both exclusive as well as those that can be found on 360 but can't be found on Wii.

When you honestly think about what it offers I don't think price is something to bitch about.

When you honestly think about what it offers I don't think price is something to bitch about.

Some casuals don't care about that stuff though. Why else do you think so much of the PS2's fanbase is still yet to go 7th gen?

The PS2 was just really easy to get and use.

ITT: Butthurt DC fans praise the (extremely overdue) death of a better selling console.

I gotta hand it to the thing for lasting as long as it did though. Too bad PS3s are apparently not backwards compatible anymore. I hope Sony's got a plan, or Nintendo's gonna get a LOT more sales.

Edited by Aquaslash

Too bad PS3s are apparently not backwards compatible anymore. I hope Sony's got a plan, or Nintendo's gonna get a LOT more sales.

Agreed. I hope they do a firmware upgrade or something. I can understand if they didn't want to make it backwards compatible in the first place, but completely removing the capability from subsequent PS3s was kind of a dick move. But capitalism's capitalism, whaddya gonna do?

I never got into the PS2 because I'm a franchise rather than genre man. I like platformers generally sure, but only Mario and Sonic manage to consistantly get the formula right for me. I also dislike the controller.

But anyone who thinks it wasn't a great console is being silly. It was the casual gamer's console of the last generation. The Wii beat it overall this time, but there's no denying that PS2 had a major fanbase of both casual and hardcore gamers. The latter of which the Wii is yet to rival as far as I'm aware.

PS2 beats the crap out the Wii in everything but sales and power.

With the current pathetic lineup of games, it barely deserves to be mentioned in the same sentance as the PS2

• Thumbs Up 2

About time if you ask me. And no this is not coming from someone bitter about the Dreamcast. It's because the PS2 was one of the things holdng back the Wii.

Developers would just take a PS2 game, slap motion controls onto it and call it a Wii game. The Wii is actually capable of much more than tacked on PS2 ports.

The PS2 itself is a fine console. It's just overstaying it's welcome.

• Thumbs Up 1