Awoo.

Sonic Underground. Your thoughts.

SABRINA

I noticed nobody has a topic on the show so I decided

"why not make one?"

Anywho. The point of this topic is to voice your opinion on the most overlooked

show of all the sonic shows. Sonic Underground.

Now, in my opinion it was the best out of all of them.I LOVE that show.

The storyline was awesome and the main characters rocked.

Manic was badass. Sonia was cool even though she had that OMG terrible voice.

Sleet and Dingo were a regular "Pinky and The Brain". A somewhat intelligent and

scary bad guy accompanied by a huge idiot that is a danger to his own self.

Gary Chalk did a decent Robotnik voice. He was no Jim Cummings but he was a lot more serious

than the AOSTH Robotnik. I'll have to give my PINGAS a PPPPPPROMOTION!

Queen Aleena was a great character too. Sonic's mom a runnin from the law all while Sonic's

a lookin 4 her. Plus she had 80s hair worthy of a Whitesnake video.LOL.

Of course the main thing that people hate about SoUnd (Unleashed has replaced underground as the abbreviation for SU so this is how I'll be abbreviating Underground) is the Corny Ass Music. (which BTW I'll be fixing soon)

Thank God for "fast forward".The characters were very roughly drawn, and by this time, Jaleel White's Sonic voice was just about gone.

But what a great storyline. Recently I was talking to Riana, Sonicdude3's girlfriend (remember that guy?). And she thinks that SoUnd would have been a lot better if it hadn't have been a Sonic cartoon. And I gotta say she's right.

Because compared to what people consider the "canon" Sonic storyline, Underground is weird.

No tails, Sonic's a friggin prince, has siblings, and all the civilians of Mobius look REALLY F****D up.

Knuckles was in it though. so that was cool.

Anyway. this is turning into A NOVEL here. so I'm gonna end it here

Edited by Stuart twentythree

I don't have any strong feelings on the show at this time, as I've only seemed glimpes of it. It seems really strange because it wasn't really heavily based on what came before it (The games, or anything Sega of America or Sega of Europe had created before then). It looked like an attempt to more or less start from scratch with the Sonic concept.

Definitely not what I'm used to, but I'd probably have fun with it despite, and partially because of, that fact.

Sonia was cool even though she had that you know what.

Even though she had what? I have no idea what you're talking about.

But yeah, I once tried to watch this show however I really disliked it because of the fact that it didnt feel Sonic-y and the horrible music.

I like Sonic Underground, but not as much as I do the other Sonic cartoons.

I got to say it's got the best animation out of the three cartoons, character design... well... all three had pretty bad character design, but I say it's better than AoSTH worse than SatAM.

And, keeping with tradition, it introduced more of those "official fan characters" ...Siblings and a Mother who's Queen. ( I REALLY hate the idea of Sonic being Royalty. ) And Underlings who REALLY take the attention away from Dr. Robotnik. They weren't even Badniks, it was a Wolf, and some other monster, who looked like they had the WORST case of mange I ever seen. They were still amusing sometimes though.

And yeah. It sucks that my DVD has no fast forward button... just skip. I HAVE to listen to those god awful Songs.

I only have volume one of the DVD set so far. I keep procrastinating volume 2, even though I see it every time I go to the mall. Guess I'd rather get volume 2 of AoSTH first.

Edited by Lando The Bat

Even though she had what? I have no idea what you're talking about.

But yeah, I once tried to watch this show however I really disliked it because of the fact that it didnt feel Sonic-y and the horrible music.

I meant her squeaky ass voice

I meant her squeaky ass voice

Come on everybody, do the Urkel! :lol:

Edited by BlazeyBakeneko

Personally i love it

but its no where near perfect.

The only things i don't like are Sonic and Robotnik, but thats because i like the games too much and constantly compare.

I hated what they did to knuckles for the same reason.

I just feel i could have been really good if they tried harder.

but i still love it to bits, despite all its faults.

Edited by MetallicWrath

Admittedly, I haven't seen much of Sonic Underground, but I quite like it, from what I have seen.

I did find Sonic being royal and having long-lost siblings, and the lack of Tails somewhat...odd for a Sonic cartoon, and the music wasn't quite what I expected it to be after reading the lyrics of some of the songs before hearing them... But it's a cute show overall. I suppose it's easier to appreciate it if you take it as it's own little universe rather than anything related to the games it was based on, just like SatAM and the comics.

I find the premise of the show tragic and cute at the same time... I remember a point where I'd well up whenever I heard the "they made a vow their mother will be found" in the intro song.

Actually, from episodes I kind of remember, this show has made me cry on various occasions with its more emotional moments... Like one with... I think it was one of Robotnik's robots? But it befriended the Sonic Underground because it loved music, but it got crushed by closing walls trying to save them... or something like that, I can't remember the exact details... And... the episode 'A New Echidna in Town', where Knuckles makes the deal with Robotnik to lead Sonic and co. into a trap, but he's so... torn over it... he even cried, and it was so sadddd.. ;A;

So yeah, I can't say much, but I think it's a cute, emotional little thing.

That episode was 'The Art of Desruction'.

the robot was called Art and he began life looking like a turtle ^^

Blech! Watched it, but wasn't very good which is why I was hoping NC would do a review about the show.

The reasons why I dislike are the story was weird/confusing, un-Sonic-y, the music concept was poorly executed, the singing was awful, Sonic had siblings and all voiced by Jaleel White even Sonia. I thought it was literally the worst Sonic cartoon with Sonic X following behind.

From what little I could stand to watch, my thoughts on this show are firmly in the "it's shit." category. I saw not one thing of value in it, and I am not the least bit hesitant in saying that I am glad it is the most loathed Sonic cartoon.

From what little I could stand to watch, my thoughts on this show are firmly in the "it's shit." category. I saw not one thing of value in it, and I am not the least bit hesitant in saying that I am glad it is the most loathed Sonic cartoon.

I could have sworn Sonic X took that title.

At least the 4kids abomination.

Oh and it should be no secret to you all what my opinion of Underground is, given it spawned my favorite series character and all

I've seen the whole series and think it's a fun show. I actually liked no Tails for a change, and the plots were entertaining in my opinion as they kept travelling to different places and doing different stuff in them. Manic and Sonic were both pretty awesome in the show too. I could've done without the songs, but I learned to live with them. I did think the ending was a bit lame, though. And it seemed like Robotnik didn't do enough in the show. He actually didn't even appear in a good amount of episodes.

Still I like the overall theme and plot. It was different, seeing Sonic and his two siblings and not a bunch of others. Especially not Tails. I personally felt he was kind of pointless in the other Sonic cartoons anyways, just there to follow Sonic around.

That's pretty much all I can say here.

Behold the power of licensing.

SatAM already barely had anything to do with the games, so it comes as no surprise that a derivative series heavily based on another derivative series was essentially "Sonic" in name only. Though it featured Sonic and Robotnik, the two were incredibly different from their original portrayals. Although...

In some bizarre turn, Robotnik ended up closer to the games than he was in SatAM. He actively invented things, engaged in friendly banter with his minions, and had a far more extroverted and flamboyant personality. Rather than turn the world into an unrealistic dystopia of pollution and chaos, he created a dictatorship of a far more subtle design. Some were roboticized, but the wealthy elite were kept as is to fund his endeavors, which was pretty neat. SU Robotnik was pretty okay, though I still didn't care for his physical design.

Though his outright absence from many episodes was a pain. And while I think Gary Chalk was brilliant as Grounder, his Robotnik left something to be desired- It just didn't stand out very much to me, though it certainly wasn't bad.

Alternate Reality Mohawked Hero Robotnik was great though.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Sonic X had it's moments. And the 4Kids dub was innovative, in areas such as laser guns with rifling and dissapearing signs. And plus, when Sonic X was bad, it was hilariously bad, so you're entertained either way.

One bit about Sonic X that I really hate though:

In the episode where Eggman steals all the satellites using that Thunderbird 2 thing, Tails was talking with Chuck about ways they could upgrade the Tornado to be able to keep up with Eggman's ship/robot thing. One of the ideas Tails has is to add an auxiliary engine to the Tornado (Just like in Sonic 2!!). Instead, they build the X Tornado. :C

I've been watching Underground a bit lately and I'm lovin' it. I the stories are gripping and entertaining, sometimes being serious othertimes humourous. I liked Sonic's attitude in this show (though he says "I'm waiiiting!" too much) and Manic is awesome. I didn't like Dingo as he was an Australian sterotype and how could he turn into any object just by being shot by machine anyway ? Yes it is kinda weird that Sonic fights the enemies with a gutair that shoots LAZORS but his speed is still put to good use in the show.

Probably would have been alright if the songs were completely ditched. Then again, the only episodes I fully bothered to watch were the ones with Knuckles, and even then, only in French (never watched the show in English).

Also, it wasn't even a Sonic show... They could have slapped on any other generic animal hero #43 on it and it wouldn't have made any difference. It's mind-boggling how you can cram in so much disresemblance from the original source material as possible, far moreso than any other previous Sonic media had. Even SatAM had some references. SoUnd had none whatsoever, from what I've seen.

It's still better than that shit Sonic X, though, but only marginally.

Edited by Jake

This sums the series up nicely. I think it's a large pile of crap. Animation, voices, characters, story, everything. :/

it is kinda weird that Sonic fights the enemies with a gutair that shoots LAZORS but his speed is still put to good use in the show.

But ya gotta admit. That's pretty metal.lol

I remember watching that. It was the only old Sonic cartoon that I watched.

It had a silly sense of humor, like when Sonic and Manic dressed up like girls, but it was the voices ans singing that annoyed me. I remember I would mute the TV whenever it got to the song. Plus, Knuckles had a higher-pitched voice than Sonic, which is totally unfitting, in my opinion. And don't get me started on Sonia's voice. <_<

Then there were things that didn't make sense, like why the siblings didn't look that much like each other. I'm assuming that Sonia got her looks from her mom, and either Sonic or Manic got it from his dad, but whichever one doesn't look the dad must have gotten their appearance from a previous generation, like their grandparents or something. I don't know, I just think it's weird.

And then there's Knuckles' "Chompy", the dinosaur that swallowed a projector. That was weird to no end. :blink:

I don't remember too much, but that show seriously was strange. It was okay, just...strange.

I don't remember too much, but that show seriously was strange. It was okay, just...strange.

STRANGER than Adventures of Sonic!?

I put Sonic X above SU just for the fact it was more prettier to look at, but it still had a fair share/dumpload of faults. Sonic X is just so-so/average at best IMO. The episodic plots were boring/bad and Chris hogged much of the spotlight that it could be referred as Chris X. Also, the VAs weren't very good and putting too much humans into the mix pretty much ruined it since introduces more plotholes and not enough focus on Sonic and the gang.

I thought it was a mixture of the two other shows with the writers on LSD. I never quite liked the storyline and premise, and when it comes down to it, it's one of those Sonic related things that I have no problem forgetting it ever existed.