Awoo.

Movies that surprised you.

Crystal Kingfisher

Sweeny Todd! That's another one!

I hate musicals. I don't like them at all. I've never seen the Nightmare Before Christmas because I can't make it past the singing. But for some odd reason, I just loved Sweeny Todd.

Happy Feet

At first I was like,"Oh boy...dancing penguins that's gonna be good...bleh"

But I realized it had Robin Williams so I saw it.

This movie was really,really good. It actually has a deeper message than you think too.

• Thumbs Up 1

-UP

I know Pixar movies pull at the heartstrings, but the bit at the beginning, particularly when

its shown that Ellie had a stillborn/can't have children, and when she dies

surprised me and left me on the verge of tears.

Oh, and the part where Muntz

TRIES TO SHOOT RUSSEL WITH A SHOTGUN.

:blink:

PS:Yeah I know it came out back in May, but I don't want to ruin it for anyone who still hasn't seen it.

-UP

I know Pixar movies pull at the heartstrings, but the bit at the beginning, particularly when

its shown that Ellie had a stillborn/can't have children, and when she dies

surprised me and left me on the verge of tears.

I totally agree with this! I mean, none of the Pixar movies seemed sad to me (sure, Wall-E was sad, but it didn't make me cry), but when I saw Up, it completely surprised me and I cried. I even told my grandma to see it, and she cried too.

Taken

Now when I saw the previews I thought, "Oh boy, another hostage movie. How original. Pff. Whatever." However, all of my friends and my mother said it was amazing. I was still skeptical.

Until the day my sister burned it on DVD and we watched it. Oh my goodness.... it was awesome. Just amazing. The plot wasn't very unexpected or deep, but the action and characters (well.. actually just the father) sucked me in. I don't have a father and the movie made me want one! Preferably one who was an ex spy. :)

If you've never seen Taken, you really should.

Taken really had a very similar plot to a typical Steven Seagal movie... only with Liam Neeson, a ton more class and some really good action. I'm not really sure how that happened, but I went in with no expectations and I ended up liking it quite a lot.

Another recent-ish movie that surprised me was The Hangover - I hadn't seen more than a couple of previews, I hadn't read a single review, I was expecting it to be mediocre at best... and it was actually really good. That type of comedy usually isn't my thing, but The Hangover handled it so well that I enjoyed it anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

"Barbie The Live Action"..

Worm 1: TAKE COVER! :o

Edited by FreeloadeR

Freeloader... why? This is considered spam. Please explicate your reasons to why these movies surprised you. As is, that post is worthless.

^Sorry.

You see, lately there are movies based off toy lines like Transformers and some other I don't even know about. They all have a point of story to themselves, I hope...

So when a unicorn-riding, fairy-cosplaying blond doll comes to mind, how would a live action movie work out. Imagine if the news about Mattel and Universal's partnership floats on the internet surface (this is real).

I watched "Click" on TV last night. I've seen it before and liked it, but last night there was something different.

The movie actually made me cry. And normally I'm not an emotional person at all. I didn't cry when my parents divorced, I didn't cry when my grandma died, I was very sad in those moments, but I never cried.

Maybe I'm just getting older and its easier for me to express my emotions.. But some of the scenes in "Click" are just down right sad. Seeing Michael skip 10 years of his childrens' lives, his life, him missing everything was sad. The scene where he saw his dad for the last time was just very sad. His death scene was sad.

When I saw it in the theater, I felt sad seeing those scenes, but like I said I didn't cry...

I have to say Sandler did a great jb acting in that movie, I really like it. Maybe I'll buy it on Blu-Ray..

Edited by MarcelloF

Resident Evil 3

Unfortunately, this movie surprised me in a bad way. When I saw it (About two years ago, on theaters), I thought the movie was going to be badass. Why wouldn't it be? A movie based on a popular horror movie franchise would have probably been pretty good, right? Not really. At least I didn't like it. The movie was too bland. Frankly, I just found the movie to be pretty boring. Nothing was really thrilling, and despite the fact that I've never played the videogames, there's nothing really similar to the games other than the post Apocalyptic scenario. To top it off, the soundtrack was the same song played over and over again... geez, it was just dissapointing.

Public Enemies

What really surprised be about Public Enemies was that it wasn't as good as I thought it would have been. It was too average, and I expected it to be slightly better. The scenes are varied, from entertaining, to just plain boring. Sadly, I'd like to think that Public Enemies could have been the movie of the year, but for me it just landed on the 'better than average' list.

Inglourious Basterds

Now this movie is a real treat. I underestimated the film the first time I saw it, but I actually fell in love with it. It's a different kind of World War II movie, which makes it special. It's a comedy, and despite the fact that it is cruel, it's actually kind of funny (Even though the last scene is actually sorta hard to watch). I don't mind long movies, so this was easy to tolerate. And on the other hand, I didn't know Brad Pitt could be that funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Das Experiment

I thought I was switching on the TV to a crappy German film that the tv guide's reviewer only gave five stars to because he's a pretentious git. Turns out he gave the film five stars because it's a genuinely harrowing film. Exploring what happens when a group of everyday people is split in two and one group gets to lord it over the other group (hint: fascistic tendancies in abundance) is always going to be a challenge to pull off, but by christ did this film pull it off. Really good stuff, well worth a watch.

Italian For Beginners

As before, I thought this was gonna be a snooze-fest, but it turned into quite a charming little love story. Again, as with Das Experiment, subtitles are in evidence here, but that doesn't harm the film at all. Indeed, it helps it. Lovely film.