Awoo.

A Sonic vs. Mario video contest

The Radical Moron

I found this on Machinima's Youtube channel and thought Sonic fans might like to see it:

While it asks who would win in a fight (Sonic vs. Mario, Sonic DUH) it's mostly a popularity contest, and it seems that Mario is winning.

(Sonic vs. Mario, Sonic DUH)

As a fan of both, I find this mentality annoying.

Both Mario and Sonic are competent, capable, and powerful characters who would be more than a match for each other. To simply discredit one or the other with a simple "DUH" is an insult to how great both characters are.

Realistically, I think either could win. But if it's strictly a popularity contest, I must confess to liking Mario's character a lot more, even though Sonic's definitely very cool.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't the whole Mario vs Sonic thing getting old now? There's already 100s of these out there.

Like they said, just a popularity contest.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I can see where you're getting at, Dr. Mechano. As far as popularity is, I like them both, maybe Sonic a bit more, but when it comes down to a fight I think Sonic would win mostly for his speed. Like I said the video itself asks "Who would win in a fight?" but it's treated by everyone as a popularity contest. They've done other match-ups like Master Chief vs. Kronos (sorry if I misspelled his name) but when they did the Xbox360 vs. PS3 matchup it became obvious that the Versus "series" was all about popularity. I just thought it would be interesting sharing this with you guys.

I can see where you're getting at, Dr. Mechano. As far as popularity is, I like them both, maybe Sonic a bit more, but when it comes down to a fight I think Sonic would win mostly for his speed.

Sonic certainly has Mario beat when it comes to speed, I'll give him that.

But it would be premature to forget Mario, a jack of all trades who manages to be good (even if not exceptional) at pretty much everything. Where Sonic excels at speed, Mario excels at strength- Dude can throw Bowser an impressive distance, considering Bowser's size compared to Mario's. And while only moderately fast, the man's quite agile and acrobatic.

The point I'm getting at is that, despite being slower than Sonic, Mario does have some distinct advantages that would help him in a fight with him.

At the end of the day, I think both stand a pretty good chance of defeating the other, and neither one is drastically more powerful than the other. They're in the same league, and could both do some serious damage to one another, even if we leave power-ups out of the equation entirely.

But it would be premature to forget Mario, a jack of all trades who manages to be good (even if not exceptional) at pretty much everything. Where Sonic excels at speed, Mario excels at strength- Dude can throw Bowser an impressive distance, considering Bowser's size compared to Mario's. And while only moderately fast, the man's quite agile and acrobatic.

I'm kind of inclined to think that Sonic's speed and Mario's strength would put the two in a stalemate, at least for a while. The whole concept of "The immovable object vs. the unstoppable force," if you catch my drift.^_~

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, speaking from a gameplay standpoint in terms of Kid Radd style comparisons, I honestly can't see Mario coming out on top in most circumstances. For one thing, Mario seems to have this thing called finite health in at least one form almost universally throughout his games - if not the health meter in the more recent games, the distinct tendency to shrink when hit and instakilled after in the classic ones. As far as Sonic goes, though, he's practically invulnerable as long as he can pick a ring back up (and really, there isn't a whole lot of contexts where you can't), or doesn't run into a pit or crusher.

Then there's abilities. Virtually the only method vanilla Mario has for killing enemies (as far as classic comparisons go, anyway) is jumping on top of them, with the occasional circumstantial exploit like butt-sliding down hills. Not only does Sonic have this exact same method himself, it's also a hell of a lot more lenient (you can practically jump side-on into most enemies as long as you're still spinning), in addition to the rolling and spindashing moves he can use practically on command. And as far as modern comparisons go? Don't even bother. The Homing Attack is such a godawfully cheap move that I really can't see any feasible counter for it on Mario's part. So as far as No Items Fox Only goes, it's still Sonic's game.

What Mario does have an advantage in is projectiles. Simple answer, Mario can throw things, Sonic can't. Sure, it does require a lucky Fire Flower drop most of the time (I say most simply because there are times he doesn't even need the flower to use it, such as Smash Bros), but keep Sonic at a distance and you could easily kick his ass. Problem is that Sonic's items typically consist of shields - and depending on which game in particular you're looking at, those shields can actually deflect most projectiles. As far as the rest of both franchise's items go, both have invulnerability pickups with completely identical effects, including complimentary Touch of Death (Mario's star is typically harder to collect though, which could be a small point against him), more projectile-spam options for Mario, ring hoards and speed boots for Sonic... it's typically a fair match as far as I can see, essentially boiling down to who grabs items first. Of course, I'm not taking every single item into account, but the minute we start throwing the more obscure stuff like Sonic's rocket shoes in is the minute we simply start confusing the fuck out of people.

Yeah, I know it's a popularity contest, but I haven't had an excuse to bring up the Kid Radd card in ages.

• Thumbs Up 6

Speaking in terms of abilities, while Mario has a load of power-ups at his disposal, once you take those away, he really doesn't have much else going for him. I mean, he's never shown to ever carry around an infinite supply of all his power-ups(he loses them when he gets hit). Sonic though, doesn't need any power-ups to kick arse, and even if Mario, theoretically did have an infinite supply of every power up with him, once you factor in that it's a fight against a speeding bullet the size of a bowling ball, it'd be pretty hard for Mario to compete.

Unlike Sonic, he does what has to be done for the greater good.

Ahem.

Edited by Black Spy

I should've considered Mario's strength before I posted. I'm still not sure if he could hit him in the first place, though.

Heh, Mario might hold his own if he tries to hit Sonic where he's going to be, rather than where he is. You know, basically letting Sonic run right into his punches.^_~

• Thumbs Up 1

I should've considered Mario's strength before I posted. I'm still not sure if he could hit him in the first place, though.

He could always freeze time with a Stop Watch.

Nobody can win, here. It's a good thing Mario and Sonic are friends - I'd sure hate to see what would happen if they were enemies.

Edited by Hunter the Christmas Fan

Both Mario and Sonic are competent, capable, and powerful characters who would be more than a match for each other.
I have to disagree. Mario can certainly put up a good fight, far more than you'd expect for an overweight plumber. Certainly, no normal human could toss Bowser around like a throw pillow, or jump several times his own height without breaking a sweat. But, Mario fights a big turtle. Sonic kills gods.

Sonic's so fast and so agile that Mario would have trouble just trying to keep up. Not to mention, while attacking he's a living buzzsaw capable of tearing through metal; I can't think of much Mario could do to deflect a blow like that. Even without the spin, while Sonic generally lacks physical strength, at the speeds he moves any hit will feel like being hit by a bus, and he'll be coming back for another one before you've even hit the ground.

If we bring items in, Mario does gain a few advantages (projectiles being the biggest, as Sonic always needs to get into melee range to fight), but not enough to counter Sonic's natural abilities. And if we start bringing Sonic's items in, he ranges anywhere from shielded and even faster than before all the way up to God Slayer Super Sonic.

For a character from a more story-driven, logic-dependent (Eggman actually has a REASON for his actions) series...

Well, Bowser is motivated by his lust for Princess Peach and a desire for power similar to Eggman's.

On the topic of who would win in a battle, I actually planned on writing a fight between Mario and Sonic in a series of "books" I was making - Mario and Sonic were allied against an evil organization, and Mario, as the main character, would be manipulated by the organization through a spiritual force that clouded his mind, causing him extreme stress over how his mission and purpose were ambiguous and confusing as opposed to the usual clear-cut save-the-princess, and eventually leading him to do terrible things. Sonic, seeing all of this happen to Mario, would eventually confront him. He would block Mario from doing something villainous, explaining that while Mario is the leader and has a duty to protect everyone else, they also have a duty to protect him, including from himself. They'd then have a dramatic battle, pitting every bit of their physical abilities and willpower against the other.

I've since abandoned that project and moved on to other, non-fan-fiction things in my writing. I think it would've been really neat to write that scene, though. There's not really a suitable equivalent if the story is entirely of my own creation.

I have to disagree. Mario can certainly put up a good fight, far more than you'd expect for an overweight plumber. Certainly, no normal human could toss Bowser around like a throw pillow, or jump several times his own height without breaking a sweat. But, Mario fights a big turtle. Sonic kills gods.

Sonic's so fast and so agile that Mario would have trouble just trying to keep up. Not to mention, while attacking he's a living buzzsaw capable of tearing through metal; I can't think of much Mario could do to deflect a blow like that. Even without the spin, while Sonic generally lacks physical strength, at the speeds he moves any hit will feel like being hit by a bus, and he'll be coming back for another one before you've even hit the ground.

If we bring items in, Mario does gain a few advantages (projectiles being the biggest, as Sonic always needs to get into melee range to fight), but not enough to counter Sonic's natural abilities. And if we start bringing Sonic's items in, he ranges anywhere from shielded and even faster than before all the way up to God Slayer Super Sonic.

Ah, but could Super Sonic defeat a Bee Bomb Boo Cape Doctor Fire Flying Frog Hammer Ice Invincible Mega Metal Mini Penguin Plane Propeller Rabbit Raccoon Rainbow Shell Small Spring Super Superball Superstar Tanooki Vanish Wing Mario?

I think not.

• Thumbs Up 1

Platformer Mario would be at a bit of a disadvantage, since he's supposed to be constantly prone and starved for powerups, but RPG Mario would stand a better chance. The ability to whip just about any powerup he needs out of hammerspace might give him the edge, and if we're talking about actual game mechanics, nothing's better than a bank of hit points. Well, heart points.

Edited by Octarine

Sonic can break robots, Mario requires assistence to break turtle shells.

But that is irrelivant. There is truely only one competition that can properly accomodate this competition: 3rd Strike.

You might expect Sonic to pick a fast character, but I disagree. Sonic would most likely play a command throw character like Alex. Why? His quick hand would allow for quick inputs and the command throw motion would probably benarural for him. I can't say for sure who Mario would play, but I can't see him playing a charge character. Maybe he'd play Ryu. Actually, he would probably want to play a Zoning character. He might have Sonic beat when in comes to lining stuff up. I don't know if Ryu is a zoning character in 3rd strike. Sonic presumably has fast reaction time, and that would pay divedends when it comes to parrying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic can break robots, Mario requires assistence to break turtle shells.

But that is irrelivant. There is truely only one competition that can properly accomodate this competition: 3rd Strike.

You might expect Sonic to pick a fast character, but I disagree. Sonic would most likely play a command throw character like Alex. Why? His quick hand would allow for quick inputs and the command throw motion would probably benarural for him. I can't say for sure who Mario would play, but I can't see him playing a charge character. Maybe he'd play Ryu. Actually, he would probably want to play a Zoning character. He might have Sonic beat when in comes to lining stuff up. I don't know if Ryu is a zoning character in 3rd strike. Sonic presumably has fast reaction time, and that would pay divedends when it comes to parrying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVAzTgV_mgU

Yeah it's all fanmade and not the best stuff out there but hey, it's a good start. It's worth noting that realistically, Super Mario would rape MUGENhunter's Sonic 4 times out of 5.

Ah, but could Super Sonic defeat a Bee Bomb Boo Cape Doctor Fire Flying Frog Hammer Ice Invincible Mega Metal Mini Penguin Plane Propeller Rabbit Raccoon Rainbow Shell Small Spring Super Superball Superstar Tanooki Vanish Wing Mario?

Considering most of these are mutually exclusive or even outright contradictory? Pretty good.

Should've joined these forums long ago lol.

"All the strength in the world doesn't mean a thing if I can't hit the guy."

Goku, Dragon Ball Z

Yea, I overlooked Mario's strength. He's a super-human despite his physique but it doesn't matter if he can't hit Sonic. Sonic's speed is the only thing keeping me from saying Mario has a chance against him. Strip Sonic of his speed then it's a more even fight.

I think not.

Not saying this in a bad way, but I lmaoed when I read this.

It's not unfathomable that Knuckles, a slower but stronger character, could best Sonic in fisticuffs.

Mario, to the same end, could win even without his plethora of items to aid him. Let's not forget, Mario's stomped on robots too (The Mechkoopas, which can be destroyed with a single spin jump), even if he doesn't face as many mechanical enemies as Sonic. Most of Smithy's minions were robotic too, though Mario did have the benefit of weapons and magic in SMRPG, so I can't exactly say he beat those with his "normal" abilities.

Again, my argument isn't that Mario would win, but that he could win, as I think Sonic also could. I just don't think the odds are as stacked in Sonic's favor as some would think they are.

As for killing gods, the Shadow Queen isn't exactly a "god", but she was an ancient super-powerful demon, which is about the equivalent of Sonic's ancient-sealed-evil-thing bosses. Sure, he had a hammer to aid him- as well as a party member- but aside from that it was basically just Mario, with far less extra powers than SMRPG gave him.

This does raise a problem though; Which is that Mario's strength isn't consistent across the series. Much like Superman, Mario's powers aren't a definite status, but more of a loose spectrum that heavily fluctuates depending on the writer. Sometimes he's just an acrobatic and somewhat strong fellow, and other times he's beyond superhuman and even outright magical in his abilities; Case in point, the ability to summon fire whenever he wants without the aid of a Fire Flower in some games. It also creates the inconsistency of being able to throw Bowser in SM64 while being unable to bust down a flimsy wooden door (Needing the added strength of a Snifit or Bowser) in SMRPG.

While Sonic's range of powers are generally consistent, Mario's abilities have a far wider range, which makes comparing the two almost impossible.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

As Sonic would likely say himself;

"As it should be"

It's honestly pretty funny how underestimated Sonic's abilities are as well as how overrated Mario's are. Believe it or not, Sonic does have great physical strength. It may not come close to rivalling Knuckles' or Shadow's but it is there and frankly it could easily rival whatever Mario's put out (Picking up Bowser and twirling him around, carrying baby Yoshi's, swinging a hammer etc). Matter of fact, Sonic could possibly be put in the Lightning Bruiser catergory though he is often more portrayed as the Fragile Speedster in all honesty due to great inconsistency in regards to physical strength depictions.

Mario's got an affinity for fire right? Well, Sonic seems to have an affinity for wind-based attacks. Wind seems to own fire a lot of the time and Sonic has been shown quite a few times as being remarkably fire-resistant. He is set on fire throughout nearly the entirety of SatSR with no ill effects from the flame as fire (It's curse however, is harmful) and takes remarkably little damage from being on fire in Unleashed if set ablaze by flame jets or Fire Master enemies. My guess is that Mario better have some firepower behind his fire 'cos he'd have a hard time injuring Sonic with it.

And then there's the speed advantage. I seriously doubt that Mario could get hits in edgewise on a target that moves as fast as Sonic without Sonic getting a lot of hits in first.

My opnion is that Mario would stand little chance in a fight with Sonic based on these observations.

While Sonic's range of powers are generally consistent, Mario's abilities have a far wider range, which makes comparing the two almost impossible.

It only makes comparing the two, if there are no parameters, on a gameplay-centric level impossible. It'd always come down to whomever you prefer and what scenario you'd concoct. So what I think would address the problem is instead analyzing what's displayed in more consistent and credible sources, namely cutscenes. After all, Sonic can jump hundreds of feet from a standstill and supposedly survive related drops, which we know from Sonic 06, yet falling from much lower heights during play in the same game results in death; I've always considered gameplay mechanics unreliable indicators of a character's true potential and leave them out as much as possible.

Of course, from this one can predict who I think would win in a fight, and yes with as much of a margin as has been touted here (even though I'm not sure Mario has such cutscenes which ironically renders the comparison useless). But hopefully the rationale is more objective than merely taking the best examples from rather incredulous gameplay scenarios and outright skewing it in my favor. Not that any of this ultimately matters, of course; Mario's franchise doesn't piss people off by merely existing, now does it? xP And speaking of that, I'm happy that video left out all the negative connotations that could've been brought up against the Sonic franchise. A bit more neutrality is refreshing, especially when the two are directly compared.

It's not unfathomable that Knuckles, a slower but stronger character, could best Sonic in fisticuffs.

This is tricky, considering that Sonic has beaten Knuckles in S3&K, whereas they both could do some serious damage to each other in hand-to-hand combat in SA1...They never do this stuff well do they? :lol:

As for killing gods, the Shadow Queen isn't exactly a "god", but she was an ancient super-powerful demon, which is about the equivalent of Sonic's ancient-sealed-evil-thing bosses.

There's also Chaos and Dark Gaia, which are two other gods Sonic has faced by himself. Although he didn't technically kill the former, and we would likely argue whether or not Dark Gaia is a god or demon.

And just incase others would mention this, Solaris wouldn't exactly count in this as Sonic needed help from two other super hedgehogs to destroy him in the past and future. Talk about omnipresence. :blink:

If you want to put them in a fair sense, I would probably include all the powers that have actually benefited them...

Um, then again, we'd end right back at square 1. Sonic's Chaos Control against Mario's Dimensional Flipping; Sonic's Superform against Mario Star Beam; Sonic's sword against Mario's hammer, it just never ends. :lol:

There are several different ways to structure a battle like this. There's the canonical descriptions/portrayals and then there's your Kid Radd style battle based on in game mechanics. In a contest of their 16 bit portrays, Sonic would come out on top for having a hit box that goes the entire way around him rathern than being concentrated around his feet, and would have the durability advantage thanks to being able to recollect rings.

When dealing with characters who have abilities depicted so differently between mediums, you have to decide which one is more representative - Sonic is shown as needing to accelerate in game, but in Sonic most cartoon portrayals, he gets up to speed instantly. Are his abilities being inflated for the show or dumbed down for sake of making the game more playable? A definitive answer accepted by a great majority likely doesn't exist, you'll essentially have to decide for yourself. For this reason, I usually compare what things they're shown as being able to do.

It also creates the inconsistency of being able to throw Bowser in SM64 while being unable to bust down a flimsy wooden door (Needing the added strength of a Snifit or Bowser) in SMRPG.

Throwing something is quite a different action than breaking something, especially considering how different the laws of physics are in Mario's world. The boards could have enough elasticity that they absorb his blows, but what I know of the physics in Mario's world gives me the impression that things have less inertia in Mario's world. It would explain how Mario is able to jump several times his own height and be supported by a pair of tiny wings on his hat and yet falls as though he's on Saturn.