Awoo.

A Sonic vs. Mario video contest

The Radical Moron

Sonic runs at the speed of sound. Close to no character would stand a chance.

Eggman stands a chance. The guy is willing to fall through the depths of hell to destroy Sonic...and he always keeps coming back. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Eggman stands a chance. The guy is willing to fall through the depths of hell to destroy Sonic...and he always keeps coming back. :P

But Eggman outruns Sonic when he's scared shitless. Never forget that.

Stop arguing about this and go play Brawl people.

Super Sonic gets banned from enough tournaments to settle this argument once and for all.

B)

• Thumbs Up 1

Super Sonic gets banned from enough tournaments to settle this argument once and for all.

Super Sonic is an invincible powerup, and not a reflection of Sonic's normal abilities though.

Super Sonic is an invincible powerup, and not a reflection of Sonic's normal abilities though.

Just a shot in the dark about the high regard Nintendo holds for the Golden one.

But on that note, the Super Form could theoretically be counted as a natural ability, since Sonic is one of the few characters with the innate-ability to harness and control the full-power of the Chaos Emeralds (although plot elements make it seem like anyone could hop on board, Sonic is always the "best bet"). I would classify Chaos efficiency as a natural talent. I admit that I am not up to snuff on the Mario franchise, but does it ever say that Mario (& bro) are the only ones able to harness from theirs?

Such info is valuable considering that a Chaos Emerald is useless in Mario's hands, but a Power Star would still work on Sonic (and that he is fast enough to take them).

I admit that I am not up to snuff on the Mario franchise, but does it ever say that Mario (& bro) are the only ones able to harness from theirs?
The Toads can use powerups just fine in NSMBWii, Peach (and Toad) could use mushrooms and stars in SMB2 (US)...nothing else comes to mind but spinoffs (which arguably don't count), but I'd say powerups aren't limited to plumbers.

The Mario items are quite usable by anyone. They're either ingested somehow or their presence mutates people when touched. However, the emeralds are harnessed when you know how to use them. Sonic can, because he's been around them for a while. Knuckles can too, because he guards them. However, Tails, who did not see them as much, can only go Super with the most powerful form of the emeralds while Sonic and Knuckles go hyper. Mario would have no experience at all with them. So in a power up battle, Sonic would have the upper hand.

While, in a straight up fight, they're both equal. I mean, Mario's spin jump can break metal, Sonic's can too. Mario can slam into the ground with a hell of a lot of power, so can Sonic. Sonic's wind based attacks use oxygen that can power Mario's fire, but can also put it out quickly. I can't think of one thing Mario has that Sonic can't counter and vice versa.

Also, Mario never really THREW Bowser like you would pick something up and throw it. He spun Bowser around, and used the speed from the spin to more fling Bowser than throw him.

I can't think of one thing Mario has that Sonic can't counter and vice versa.

Chaos Control is said to be able to manipulate time and space. If Sonic made use of that power, and the series actually expanded on the spatial powers more than they do the time, Sonic could probably beat Mario in a fight regardless of what he brings out.

But since it's very vague, and the series doesn't do too much with it except for teleport, stop/slow time, and time travel, I guess it doesn't really do too many favors for Sonic. :lol:

Also, Mario never really THREW Bowser like you would pick something up and throw it. He spun Bowser around, and used the speed from the spin to more fling Bowser than throw him.

Even acknowledging that, Mario was able to lift up Bowser's whole body by just his tail. That would take a lot of strength to pull off to begin with.

Sorry to go off-topic, but that Brawl picture led me to notice that Mario looks much better wearing the realistic overalls, IMO.

But either way, yeah stop going on about Mario vs Sonic guise, those days are over (Poor DC died lulz) and they're pallys now. Be happy for them. =P

Come on guys, remember they're pals now.

Isn't the Blue hedgehog liable to pound on his freinds? alot?

The dude has thrown fists with Cream. CREEEEEEEEEAM.

However, the emeralds are harnessed when you know how to use them. Sonic can, because he's been around them for a while. Knuckles can too, because he guards them. However, Tails, who did not see them as much, can only go Super with the most powerful form of the emeralds while Sonic and Knuckles go hyper. Mario would have no experience at all with them. So in a power up battle, Sonic would have the upper hand.

Would it be worth noting that Sonic was basically a novice when he first went Super (his only experience before-hand was with, argueably, an incomplete set of emeralds.)

I'll have to agree with the people who have said that it can go either way, mainly because Mario has no set baseline for his abilities (like how he seems to barely hop in the first two Paper Mario games and then nearly touch the lights of the Shroob's Coleseum as both an adult and baby in Partners in Time :P), however I do think Sonic holds the advantage simply because of his speed.

Plus, a better example of Mario's strength would be lifting and throwing Luigi during thier Sweet Basket move :lol:.

I'll have to agree with the people who have said that it can go either way, mainly because Mario has no set baseline for his abilities (like how he seems to barely hop in the first two Paper Mario games and then nearly touch the lights of the Shroob's Coleseum as both an adult and baby in Partners in Time :P), however I do think Sonic holds the advantage simply because of his speed.

Personally, I can't conceive it to even be a fair fight. Speed aside, Sonic's world is just demands a higher class of destructive ability. I mean, if we really were to start looking at the games that stretch the abilities of the characters, than we really wouldn't have to look much farther than Sonic Battle.

Not only was Sonic able to heal himself in that game (1 ring rule be damned:D) but he was actually able to take down an Uber Emerl (a robot designed to harness the 7 Chaos Emeralds), with his bare hands. Now all of a sudden you can start comparing regular old Sonic to his Super Form. No power-ups required. The Hedgheog went and jumped teirs on us. A combination of his speed/skill/determination basically undermined and defeated his franchise's God mode item. How is any character supposed to compete with that?

Not only was Sonic able to heal himself in that game (1 ring rule be damned:D) but he was actually able to take down an Uber Emerl (a robot designed to harness the 7 Chaos Emeralds), with his bare hands. Now all of a sudden you can start comparing regular old Sonic to his Super Form. No power-ups required. The Hedgheog went and jumped teirs on us. A combination of his speed/skill/determination basically undermined and defeated his franchise's God mode item. How is any character supposed to compete with that?

Was it ever actually made clear that Sonic won that battle, because as far as I remember he was only told to damage him and hold his own (which is still impressive), and even though the game has you play that battle, it's not the first time that a game's storyline has overwriten the results of a previous battle. Your point still holds on the healing thing though :P

Was it ever actually made clear that Sonic won that battle, because as far as I remember he was only told to damage him and hold his own (which is still impressive), and even though the game has you play that battle, it's not the first time that a game's storyline has overwriten the results of a previous battle. Your point still holds on the healing thing though :P

According to the script I dug up, the post fight went something like this......

After the fight with Gizoid

EMERL: Where... is here...? *crackles* Who... am I...? *crackles* Sonic... The

pain... *crackles* Shadow... Dark... *crackles* Am I..., am I...

*crackles* going to die...? *crackles*

* - The light fluctuates several times, and Sonic appears on the screen.

SONIC: ...merl!! Emerl!!!!

EMERL: Sonic...

SONIC: Are you all right!? Come on!

EMERL: ... ... ...

SONIC: Can you walk!? Let's return to earth!

* - Emerl trembles over and over as he speaks.

EMERL: It's... been fun... Thank you... Sonic... This is... Goodbye... I'm

glad... I got to see everyone one last time... ... ... ... ... ... ...

Has Tails... gotten stronger? I know he tried his hardest... to protect

me... Thank him for me... And Knuckles... we had so much fun... Even

though he is too... gullible... But he is such... a good guy... So,

Sonic... don't tease him too much, okay? And Mom... Cream... Looks like

this is goodbye... I don't want to go... I'll miss all of you... ... ...

Shadow... Should I be glad that...I was born...?

SONIC: Quit playing around! Don't get all serious on me now, Emerl! You... You

think this is goodbye or something? Hey! Come on, Emerl! Let's go play!

Everyone is waiting for us back home! Tails! And even Shadow and

Knuckles! Hey, I know! We can trick Knuckles into doing some stupid

stuff again! We'll go home and... and... we'll all laugh and have a

good time!!!! Right, Emerl...? Emerl!!!!!!!!

EMERL: *trembles* ... ... ... ... ...

* - Emerl starts beeping increasingly faster, until it comes to a screech. A

light flashes; when it dissipates, Emerl is gone.

SONIC: Emerl has... disappeared...

To me, that looks like Sonic kicked some tail. Your right that the simple fact that he could hold his own is extremely impressive though, so either way Sonic comes out looking pretty good.

If you dig a little further into the game, and specifically Gerald's diary's, you get this sweet little tidbit.

Journal 6

My worst fears have come true. The Gizoid has absorbed enough weaponry and

technology that it has started to go out of control. The resulting rampage

resulted in the destruction of most of the "Ark." ... I have deciphered the

rest of the stone tablet. It says, "When the Gizoid had learned all that it

could, it became a god of wrath, and all was destroyed." The researchers

somehow managed to subdue the Gizoid and sealed it away. Luckily, it only had

one "Chaos Emerald" installed. If it were to have all 7 Emeralds installed, it

might destroy the whole planet. The Gizoid is too much of a liability. I tried

destroying its core, but nothing I did worked. I understand too little of the

technology that built him. My best hope is to try and reprogram its AI into a

free-willed, emotions-based AI...

The great Gerald Robotnik refers to the perfected Gizoid as the God of Destruction Wrath. That means in his humble opinion, we can totally pin the God-Slayer title to Sonic’s blue persona alongside his Glorious Golden one.

I wuv Sonic Battle.

EDIT: Here is the script I used Sonic Battle Script GameFAQ

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Something I'd like to mention on the subject of Sonic being a fast character. If we were to fully utilize Sonic's speed to all he can muster, he's practically impossible to beat. And I think that his many battles against his foes can justify this in a lot of cases.

Something I just dug up while surfing the web on my free time was this quote by comic book writer, Peter David:

Speedsters make me nervous, because if you play them accurately, they're impossible to beat...The moment someone sees him coming, it's too late. You shout, "It's the Flash!" and you haven't even got "It's" out before you're done[5]...I could deal with Impulse because he was easily distracted.

It actually isn't too far from the truth.

Unless Mario uses his Metal Hat powerup from 64 or finds a way to stop time (which would probably be useless thanks to Sonic already having that trick down), Sonic's speed alone is more than enough to take down Mario by itself. But that's just without powerups, which would no doubt change that outcome in hundreds of different ways.

That's just my take on a Sonic vs. Mario scenario.

• Thumbs Up 1

Irrelevant to the strength comparison, I also have to agree that Mario and Sonic probably would get along fairly well if they actually met. Despite the confrontational marketing of the 90s, I actually think they'd be good friends, considering their upbeat happy-go-lucky personalities in universe. They're really not so different, when one thinks about it.