Awoo.

Dragonball Z, the Abridged Series (and others)

TheGerkuman

It’s not that big a deal, we weren’t meant to get Buu at all, so getting it in some form is nice, and it means they no longer have to deal with Toei’s constant bullshit.

While watching it occasionally for laughs, DBZA wasn't why i've been following TFS, at least mainly.
On one hand this means i don't mind too much the shift in self-animated approach for the main abridged series. If it means more productivity and less migrain from Toei, the better.
On the other, Hellsing Ultimate Abridged ended last year and FFVIIMA is either ending this year or the next, so unless the team has a new project to work on aside from this (like i dunno, another MA with a different Final Fantasy) i probably won't see myself sticking around.
Combining with the accidents that have happened to LittleKuriboh, this has been a poor year for the founders of Youtube abridged series.

Part of the appeal of DBZ Abridged is the use of the source footage. Without it, I don't consider it DBZ Abridged. If they're burnt out, just don't put out content as often.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Part of the appeal of DBZ Abridged is the use of the source footage. Without it, I don't consider it DBZ Abridged. If they're burnt out, just don't put out content as often.

Well, that's only part of the problem, and that's why they're branching out into new content, such as ShortZ and X In X Minutes.

Even if the burnout wasn't a factor, they've cited various other reasons why they can't continue doing traditional abridging, primarily Youtube making it harder and harder for them to actually do it, and harder and harder for them to defend against copyright strikes, and they feel like they can't afford to lose the main channel. They also have an additional incentive to abandon using the original footage in the form of wanting to branch out into original stuff, and as noted in the above link, as explained by Kaiser:

(Also, and I'll be frank about this: DBZA is a nightmare for our professional lives, and while we fully believe it's parody, top to bottom, it's made it increasingly difficult to operate on a professional level outside of our own team, and constantly puts our channel at risk due to copyright strikes and the threat of legal action.)

Basically, they've stressed that without the format shift, there wouldn't be a Season 4 of DBZA. Period.

I get it, it won't be the same, and I get the disappointment, but frankly, the original format of DBZA ended in a really good place, and this way is better than nothing at all, and it'll help get Toei off their backs and be able to more easily move into more original content, much like Rooster Teeth did... And hopefully do better written stuff than Rooster Teeth did post-Red vs Blue.

You know, if they are animating to get around constraints of footage, they could always animate their own Bojack movie, thus make it not all fighting? Na, they won't do that.

• Absolutely 1

19 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

You know, if they are animating to get around constraints of footage, they could always animate their own Bojack movie, thus make it not all fighting? Na, they won't do that.

Well, they need roughly FighterZ-quality models for Bojack's entire gang, for starters. They need a library of assets that they can work with (scenes, characters, effects, etc), and that takes time. Hence why they're starting with the ShortZ - smaller videos with stuff that's already prepped and ready to go.

They might do Bojack later on, it's not like they haven't done certain movies out of order before. But I doubt they'd be so keen to get back to Bojack so soon after having such a miserable time trying to script it the first time around.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, this has happened:

I wonder if this is TFS trying to combat Devil Artemis in some fashion.

• 1 month later...

RG0BS1U.gif

Honestly, all signs were pointing at this, the cancellation of Bojack alone was a huge warning.
At least they're finishing FFVIIMA, but would have been nicer knowing what the team's future projects will be. Because no way in hell they're gonna survive with the animated DBZ shorts alone.

They seem to be putting all their eggs into this Unabridged show they’re working on.

Personally, I really don’t care about any of TFS’ other projects, DBZA is the only one I really liked. I would at least be better with this if we knew they would at least have Shortz taking place during the Buu saga, but knowing they will ONLY be doing Shortz taking place between Cell and Buu is lame as hell, since we won’t get to see any of Vegeta’s later development.

I'm okay with this. While I'd love the series to continue, as a creative type myself, nothing sucks worse than feeling forced to do something you once loved. Much better to go out on a high note and call it good.

Plus, as I said before, I REALLY wasn't keen on the idea of doing the Buu saga with new animation, and I'm glad the guys seem to agree. I'll always hold to my feelings that new animation just doesn't fit the spirit of what DBZA is. I mean, it was fine for spinoffs and side projects, but DBZA's charm is taking the actual anime footage and repurposing it, not discarding it for entirely new stuff. At least, that's my feeling on the matter.

I wish everyone at TFS the best of luck on their future projects and thank them for over a decade of laughs.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, it sucks, but it's not all that surprising. Could be worse, really - as they said, 60 was a fantastic end to the whole thing. No Buu Saga is ultimately a minor loss. (It honestly had more missteps than good ideas - Vegeta's character development was great, but bringing Goku back into the main character role over Gohan was a bad idea long-term and massively undercuts the potential promised at the end of the Cell Saga.)

5 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

RG0BS1U.gif

Honestly, all signs were pointing at this, the cancellation of Bojack alone was a huge warning.
At least they're finishing FFVIIMA, but would have been nicer knowing what the team's future projects will be. Because no way in hell they're gonna survive with the animated DBZ shorts alone.

Well, obviously you haven't been paying attention to all the other stuff they've been working on. Other projects, original series, and even the official (and actually serious) dub of Hells. There's also the gaming stuff, which while it's been more and more geared towards basically edited versions of streaming content, is less their fault and more due to it being significantly more time/cost effective thanks to Youtube's fuckery.

Part of the reason they're going in this whole direction in the first place is to move on to more independent professional productions, as DBZA, as much as they loved working on it, was also absolute hell for their professional careers for obvious reasons.

It sucks but I respect their decision and honestly can't thank them enough for 11 years of quality abridged entertainment on yet another franchise that I love. I've yet to check out the other shorts stuff, and I'm behind on FFVII Machinabridged, but will do so soon given the circumstances :) 

The ending was good and it would have almost certainly turned to shit if they kept going. Their burnout was obvious. They didn't even need to point it out to us. No reason to drag it out.

The Buu saga with the new animation would have just been a subpar version of what you wanted anyway. Be glad they didn't force themselves to keep working on it beyond what was feasible. You would have just complained about the result.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it's good they won't bother dragging it out but T the same time. I have no interest in any of their other stuff so I guess I'll part with the group here. It's been fun and I wish them all the best in the future 

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Heard about this. New animation?

On 12/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, SonicWind said:

Episode 2 of DragonShortZ is out:

These. No way they'll do the entire Buu saga like this tho'

About that... they're not doing the Buu saga at all anymore. Just like the Bojack adaptation, it's been cancelled.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

1 hour ago, Shade Vortex said:

About that... they're not doing the Buu saga at all anymore. Just like the Bojack adaptation, it's been cancelled.

That's why I'm pretty annoyed. I'm fine enough if they didn't do Buu Abridged with the new animation style due to time/expense, but I think it really sucks that they aren't even touching it in Shortz.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Ah...

I understand.

Kinda reminds me of that new MegaMan show.

Makes sense. It was probably more trouble than it was worth and seeing their work on a comedic character like Mr. Satan not being very good, made me less confident in a such a comedic saga as the Buu saga.

Also, the two Shortz are kinda shit, so I can't imagine that would've been all too great either.

I don't think they would drop the ball in quality if they did the Buu saga. Maybe drop a little, but I'm sure it would still be funny and entertaining.

It should be noted that things that are already humorous in tone are dramatically harder to parody successfully than things that play everything laughably deadly straight like DBZ did for most of its run. If they were already feeling burnout from the series as it is, now they have to try and have fun with something that already is making fun of itself without making it come off as a shallow retread of the material (which is something DBZ:A generally did a good job avoiding)?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1