Awoo.

Would another Sonic The Hedgehog Movie can set things in stone

novelty

With the plot as swiss cheese and jack-in-the-box characters who pop up out of nowhere, would it ever make any sense to make a movie or a book that says "this is what really happened, this is canon"? I mean, what if people who grew up in the late 80s/90s wanted to know something true regarding the blue blur or the planet? If there was a movie that had continuous action (much like the beginning of Sonic Unleashed), would people watch it?

And for Xtra Lulz...

charonpromo.png

If they could pull it off(which I doubt)I would love a Sonic movie, and even if it ends up a bad movie I would still watch it just cuz it's Sonic.

Sega's Visual Entertainment for the animation. In vein to the almost-wordless style of Night of the Werehog (maybe except for Eggman). All out two hours of Sonic vs Eggman action. Epic plot, funny stuff. FINAL DESTINATION.

Oscar for "Best Animated Picture". :P

In all honesty, I would have been much more forgiving of Sonic 06's storyline if it was in a movie. I know it sounds somewhat illogical, but it had the feel of an old animated Disney movie, albeit a little more convoluted and would be easier to accept as such rather than the plotline for what should have been a basic platformer.

I think a movie would be good to give us a better understanding of Sonic as a character as well as other members of the cast and the world they live in without relying on heavy plots in the games themselves.

I really don't have any doubt it would be animated well, what with how Night of the Werehog and Unleashed's FMVs turned out. However, you can also pretty much guarantee that the plot will be a complete facepalm-worthy mess, and considering how ShTH turned out in that regard, making a plot for the purpose of resolving plotholes is probably not going to work and if anything will just result in even more plotholes. Frankly I'd just prefer to look at a Sonic movie in it's own right and not have to understand 10-20 years of flawed backstory to know what's going on - in fact, I'd just rather it be completely original instead of trying to rely so strongly on the plot of the games.

would it ever make any sense to make a movie or a book that says "this is what really happened, this is canon"?

No.

Half of the fanbase thrives on their own perceptions, and their own interpretation of the characters. Such is the nature of what we have to work with here. If the authoritative body ever had a final say, or a method put in motion to "set in stone" characters, events or even origins, than in some way shape or form, every single member of this community will find themselves alienated. (at least those of us whom take this too seriously and frequently delve into characterization and psychology).

I would think that it would be in Sega's best intrest to keep stuff anonoymous. It keeps the air of the unknown around the franchise that so many of us thrive on. I like trying to figure out what angles characters come from, and not having 100% of the backstory allows us to be more creative and open in the means to the end.

Not knowing makes us rabid. Not knowing keeps us coming back for more, which in the end, is all that really matters in the grand scheme of things.

That being said, I would not be against a well crafted Sonic film. Something along the lines of the OVA and the Night of the Werehog movie (to say nothing of the intro to Unleashed) would certainly warrant a watch, and a buy. The only stipulation in my end is that it be placed in its own specific cannon (preferably its own). If it is to be a SegaSonic game, than clearly label it so and avoid the other variants. The TV shows do well to each tackle their own spin on Sonic, any future movie would do well to do the same.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

In vein to the almost-wordless style of Night of the Werehog (maybe except for Eggman). All out two hours of Sonic vs Eggman action.
Two hours of almost no one talking? Two hours of characters known to be able to speak trying to communicate without it? Screw that. A 10 minute short can pull that off just fine, but a 2 hour movie? I think not.

It would be interesting to see a movie that's basically a primer for the series in its current state...something that compresses the relevant history of the series and feeds it to the audience using a new story as the vehicle...and clarifying for us long-time fans what is and isn't relevant at this point in the series.

Aww, come on Diogenes, couldn't you tell I was joking around? :P of course I would want some talking, but they should still keep the action:talking ratio at the same ratio as that of the opening to Unleashed, which was of course around 60:40.

And sweet Morgan Freeman, no I wouldn't want an origins story. That would be dreadful, as like said before, ShTH tried it with Shadow, but it failed miserably and put itself under the title "King of Narm." the story, if anything, should just be "Eggbotnik creates ultimate weapon of ultimate doom (which isn't a demigod beast thing this time), and Sonic takes it on after being interrupted as he was sippin' tea at his planewreck (literally) home on the beach of South Island, Tails follows him bla bla bla" and build off of that, because although simple scripts are good for games, they really aren't for movies. Although it would still be good to keep major characters as a downlow, and probably just leave the major parts to Sonic, Tails, and Eggbotnik (and maybe Knuckles, if the crowd doesn't go "BAWW CLASSIC TRIO").

Aww, come on Diogenes, couldn't you tell I was joking around? :P
More and more, I find myself resorting to Poe's law with this fanbase. Nothing is too extreme that someone out there wouldn't say it.

I do agree that we shouldn't have a movie drowning in dialogue, tho'.

• 1 month later...

Screw the game canon. Movies always go their own way so they don't get tangled in the long histories writers left behind and fans wank over. The Spider-Man movies weren't extremely true to the comic, because they knew they weren't writing a comic. They were writing a movie. If Sonic gets one, I bet it's a standalone self-explanatory adventure. You wouldn't need to know anything except that he's fast, he's blue, and he's a hedgehog. Look at Night of the Werehog. It's a haunted house tale plain and simple. It probably could've been told with any other animated characters. Of course I wouldn't want a Sonic movie to be so simple, because I appreciate the charm the more creative aspects of the series holds. Really, I just wish they'd take the OVA as a pilot and make a show out of that. Probably wouldn't fly with the kiddies though. Anything resembling the attitude and simple story of that movie, with it's own stand alone world, would be just fine for a new Sonic. I just hope they don't use the writers or voice directors they've got on games, it's gotta be official. By the way, watch out for Andy Garcia - I called it.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

Two hours of almost no one talking? Two hours of characters known to be able to speak trying to communicate without it? Screw that. A 10 minute short can pull that off just fine, but a 2 hour movie? I think not.

Hey, it worked for Wall-E.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hey, it worked for Wall-E.

It worked stupendously for WALL•E. I get sick of movies and games throwing useless dialogue at me nonstop, whether it's over-explaining the on-screen action, or filling my ears with annoying whooping and yahooing. I think I could deal with Sonic having slightly yappy friends (Tails and Amy, at least), but I'd love to see an almost-silent interpretation of Sonic himself, bringing back that classic mystique. Sonic is much too expressive to need to wisecrack, I think; he could tell you he thinks you're stupid with a condescending look or rude gesture, and save the talk for when it's really appropriate or poignant.

I actually would love a CG Sonic movie if the plot was structured similarly to Unleashed. By that I mean that the story is canon and relevant to the overall plot of the games but exists as it's own entity and only uses the most recognizable characters. Aside from a few easter eggs on signs and NPC dialog there were virtually no connections to the convoluted plot that developed since SA1 and the supporting characters had simple roles that didn't require a bloated backstory or exposition to be relevant. If you at least knew Sonic is blue and fast and Eggman is fat, evil and makes robots you shouldn't have had much trouble following the plot. As long characters stay in character and there were plenty of flashy action scenes involving them I'd be satisfied.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually would love a CG Sonic movie if the plot was structured similarly to Unleashed. By that I mean that the story is canon and relevant to the overall plot of the games but exists as it's own entity and only uses the most recognizable characters. Aside from a few easter eggs on signs and NPC dialog there were virtually no connections to the convoluted plot that developed since SA1 and the supporting characters had simple roles that didn't require a bloated backstory or exposition to be relevant. If you at least knew Sonic is blue and fast and Eggman is fat, evil and makes robots you shouldn't have had much trouble following the plot. As long characters stay in character and there were plenty of flashy action scenes involving them I'd be satisfied.
Oh definitely. One thing Sega needs to do is keep Eggaman's characterization and design similar to Unleashed, if nothing else. If they ever do another, it should be similar in tone to the OVA. The right blend of light heartedness, humor, style, and seriousness when needed. I really would love a CGI or another animated Sonic movie. I personally think its interesting how Sonic is one of the few, if not only characters, to make it past the "Video Game Movies Suck" rule. Heck, he also had four TV series and aside from Underground, I think they were all great.

Edit: One thing I would like to really see is Sonic's origin story for whatever cannon the games have been going by.

Edited by Mort

Oh definitely. One thing Sega needs to do is keep Eggaman's characterization and design similar to Unleashed, if nothing else. If they ever do another, it should be similar in tone to the OVA. The right blend of light heartedness, humor, style, and seriousness when needed. I really would love a CGI or another animated Sonic movie. I personally think its interesting how Sonic is one of the few, if not only characters, to make it past the "Video Game Movies Suck" rule. Heck, he also had four TV series and aside from Underground, I think they were all great.

Edit: One thing I would like to really see is Sonic's origin story for whatever cannon the games have been going by.

Aaaack, I came so close to completely agreeing with you there. If there's one thing I really don't want to see, though, it's Sonic's backstory.

I'd be willing to accept seeing some of his pre-Sonic 1 clashes with Eggman or how the two first met (that'd be pretty cool, actually), but showing his family or some kind of superpower origin story like the one SoA used to have would just irritate me. It's too late in the game for something like that and I feel like it would diminish the character. He's not a complicated guy, and that makes him all the more appealing. Let fan fiction fill in the gaps if it wants to.

Edited by Octarine

Aaaack, I came so close to completely agreeing with you there. If there's one thing I really don't want to see, though, it's Sonic's backstory.

I'd be willing to accept seeing some of his pre-Sonic 1 clashes with Eggman or how the two first met (that'd be pretty cool, actually), but showing his family or some kind of superpower origin story like the one SoA used to have would just irritate me. It's too late in the game for something like that and I feel like it would diminish the character. He's not a complicated guy, and that makes him all the more appealing. Let fan fiction fill in the gaps if it wants to.

I suppose it doesn't have to be in a movie or anything. But how did Sonic get his speed, the Archi comics had him born with it, the manga side had him as a regular hedgehog who gained super powers, I personally just want to know where the hell he came from(That said, I don't think its too late in the game if its NEVER been explored or told before in a cannon game ever).

Actually, a pre Sonic 1 movie about Sonic meeting and defeating Eggman for the first time would be awesome.

Edited by Mort

Sonic OVA would have made a perfect movie... all they had to do was extend a few parts, maybe add a scene or two in to flesh the plot out even more and voilá.

The animation was pretty good before but with a higher budget, it would have been gold.

I'm actually surprised that there hasn't been another Sonic movie yet, either a traditional anime or otherwise. It seems like a natural ancillary market for SEGA to take advantage of, and could be pretty rewarding as well, if done right.