Awoo.

PS3 premium content announced

Badnik Mechanic

I'm not sure if this is 100% official, so bare with me here if some of this turns out to be bollocks at a later date.

Theres been rumours for the past few months or so that Sony would be offering premium content for their users, but at the time it wasn't clear as to what this would be or if it would be the end of free online gaming...

Today we got the answer. The following is a list (again not 100% confirmed) of the new content that Sony will be offering PS3 owners.... at a price.

◦Customer Service Priority Access

Priority access to PlayStation’s customer service both online and via phone should you need technical help or have questions about your products. This feature gives you support with little to no waiting.

◦Exclusive Experiences with Sony Brands

Get member-only access to attend exclusive Sony events and experiences throughout the year, including those offered by PlayStation, Sony Pictures, and Sony Music.

◦Extended Console Warranty 3 Years

Get your PS3 warranty extended to 3 years as part of your overall subscription (requires you to keep your subscription active). The standard warranty on your PS3 is 1 year.

◦Access to Beta Games

Get access to Betas of popular games not yet released at retail (Betas offer bigger experiences than typical game demos). You will have the ability to play these games before others do.

◦Early Access to All Store Content

Get early access to select free and purchasable game related content on the PlayStation Store before it’s available to everyone else. This includes games, add-ons, themes, avatars, as well as free game demos.

◦Member Demo Sharing of Full Game

Share a level of a game that you just purchased for your PS3 with a subscriber who doesn’t own the game. Your friends could do the same. This would be an exclusive demo not available otherwise to those who haven’t purchased the game.

◦Cross-game Voice Chat Access

Get exclusive member-only access to cross-game voice chat. This is the ability to use your headset to voice chat with friends on your PS3 regardless of what they are doing on the PS3.

◦Full Title Trial – 1st Hour Is Free

Download full versions of select Blu-ray and PSN game titles and have the chance to play the entire game (single or multiplayer) for free for the first hour. After that time you will have the option of purchasing the game to continue playing.

◦Token Wagering

Get a fixed number of tokens per month you can wager with other players in competitive online games. These tokens could then be built up and redeemed for free PlayStation Network games and other content.

◦User-to-user Challenges

Unlock developer-created challenges while playing games. Compete with your friends to see who can be the first to complete these challenges. The PS3 will automatically offer and track challenges and winners and would post results. An example of a challenge is ‘first to get 10 trophies’ in a particular game.

◦Free Access to PSOne Classics, PSP Minis, and PS3/PSP Themes

Get a fixed number of PSOne Classic games, PSP Minis (bite-sized games), and PS3/PSP themes per month to keep for free for as long as you are a subscriber. The PlayStation Store offers these types of content for $2-6 each.

◦Discounts on Store Content

Get weekly member-exclusive discounts on specific games, game add-ons and themes on the PlayStation Store. Discounts may range from 20-50% off regular retail prices.

◦Member Only In-game Content

Get exclusive member-only in-game content for your PS3 or PSP such as new game play options, unlocked in-game weapons or player slots, exclusive levels, costumes/skins, and PlayStation Home spaces.

◦Trophy Alerts

Get automated alerts on your PlayStation XrossMedia Bar, PlayStation.com, and via text message (if you so choose) that alert you when your friends get any trophy or a specific one. This feature is customizable – you can choose which friends to receive alerts from and what kinds of alerts.

◦Cloud Storage Space for Games

Store your game saves on a virtual secure saver. This would allow you to access your game saves at any point in time, and from any PlayStation 3 or PSP console you are logged in on.

◦Online Music Service

Get a streaming music service that allows you to choose your channel based on music style, artist type, etc. and listen to an unlimited number of tracks. This service would be for use outside of playing a game and similar to Pandora or a Last.fm.

◦Online Music Video Service

Get a streaming music video service on your PlayStation 3 that lets you stream music videos from a continuously growing catalog of music and allows you to create a custom playlist to play back. [Presumably an ad-free VidZone? ~Watchful]

◦Automatic Downloads and Updates

Customize the types of updates you want your PS3 to download automatically. These include game updates (patches) for games that you own, firmware updates, and game demos downloaded on your PS3 without manually having to select them and wait for them to finish downloading. Your PS3 can be set to automatically turn on for updates and turn off after completion.

◦Loyalty Program Rewards

Get rewards the longer you are a subscriber and also earn rewards by engaging with PlayStation such as buying games, downloading movies, and rating products. Rewards can include full versions of PlayStation Network games and digital movie rentals from the PlayStation Store.

◦Facebook Connectivity

Access to member-exclusive Facebook features on your PlayStation 3, such as viewing and linking your Facebook accounts with their PSN ID’s, updating your status, editing, uploading and sharing photos, and viewing photo albums of your friends on your TV.

◦Catch-up TV

Get access to popular TV shows and movies through service providers such as Hulu, simply by clicking an icon on your PS3 XrossMedia navigation bar.

◦Netflix Access Without Disc

Access the Netflix video streaming service on your PS3 without the need to insert a special disc into the drive each time to access the service. A separate Netflix subscription would also be needed to enjoy the service. Netflix offers over 17000 popular movies and TV shows for streaming on your laptop or a supported device such as a PS3.

There are some things in there that I really do like the sound of, such as early access to store content, and free PS1 games is a huge thumbs up (provided they come with trophy support). Also that this should be transferable onto a PSP, which is a huge bonus... a free copy of Final Fantasy 7 on your PSP, or Metal Gear Solid... YES PLEASE!

But there are a number of things that really do bug me, this might be me showing signs of my age, but the Sony support service really angers me. I've never had to use it, but I'd be quite outraged if I was not getting good customer service because I had to pay for it.

Cross game chat... I doubt I'll use it, I know hundreds will so thats a big bonus. TV stuff is also a great inclusion, but will BBC I-player greatly devalue this?

Token wagering sounds extremely interesting, but could be very easilly exploited. Really looking forward to seeing how that pans out.

Online game saves FUCK YES! If your PS3 dies, some saves are system locked, you can't get trophies from them or even play them in some cases, this would totally free them up and resolve that problem.

But the big thing that sells it for me, depending on the price of the subscription, and again this might be me showing my age... The 3 year warrenty. Game currently offer £34.99 for a 2 year warrenty on any console thats over £200 (that includes bundle prices).

If we compare the rivals, Xbox Live gold membership for 12 months can be bought from Amazon (quick search) for £32.99 Sony are not likely to price this much higher than that... so you get a 1 years warrenty (remember, the 3 years is only if you pay for 3 years subscription) and all the extras and you won't need to bother with a store extended warrenty and still be covered by the sales of goods act! That is quite a good deal in terms of console protection right there.

Edit: According to engadget.comthe features may not be boiled up in 1 lump. Users maybe able to customise their subscription, so say you don't want the facebook stuff (be honest... who does) you don't include it in your package... so your cost drops.

Edited by Casanova

Oh wow this is just great. Now PS3 has XBOX Live Gold too!

I mean I know a lot of it is new, but I'd love to just be able to do EVERYTHING for free like before.

◦Early Access to All Store Content

Wrong, everyone else gets it late.

◦Cross-game Voice Chat Access

Wow, that was hard. That's one of the few things you can actually do for free on the 360. Come on.

◦Member Only In-game Content

Everyone else gets gimped games.

Really really hope this isn't true. I'll be getting a PS3 soon and I don't want to miss out on loads of shit or be "forced" to pay for yet another gaming subscription.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, that was hard. That's one of the few things you can actually do for free on the 360. Come on.

I don't own an Xbox so I can't say for certain, but I was under the impression that the only reason people used cross game chat was because they were playing online games... using their paid for subscriptions... so it's not free really is it when you consider that you are paying to use it, or at least you can bet a chunk of each subscription is off-set against it.

Wrong, everyone else gets it late.

Thats what I thought when I saw it, but a lot of PSN content is actually on there a good week or two before hand, the problem is the testing it has to go through before release. One example I can think of would be IL2 Sturmoviks patch, it was ready for weeks but haddn't been fully tested yet by Sony.

Not to mention, I don't think any developer would allow it to be held back. I know that Activision have done it to Call of Duty Classic, only to shift more hardened copies though. But for something like an add on... can't see many devs agreeing to huge delays of weeks or months though.

Edited by Casanova

I don't own an Xbox so I can't say for certain, but I was under the impression that the only reason people used cross game chat was because they were playing online games... using their paid for subscriptions... so it's not free really is it when you consider that you are paying to use it, or at least you can bet a chunk of each subscription is off-set against it.

You don't need a subscription to use the chat/party/messaging systems on 360. I haven't had Gold for a fair few months now but I still get/send messages and chat pretty often.

Thats what I thought when I saw it, but a lot of PSN content is actually on there a good week or two before hand, the problem is the testing it has to go through before release. One example I can think of would be IL2 Sturmoviks patch, it was ready for weeks but haddn't been fully tested yet by Sony.

I doubt that's the same thing. They did mention beta testing in a separate section, but since it's separate I don't think "getting them early" is the same thing. It's probably like on 360. Gold members get it for a week or so before everyone else can.

And it sucks.

As for the "developer agreement" thing, it's done all the time on 360 and no developers have complained about that yet.

Edited by SuperLink

There's one difference between this and Live Gold, the ability to play online without paying. Still, gimped games and late releases for non-"Premium" members doesn't sound fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been paying for Xbox Live Gold for a good three years now and I don't mind. I won't be bothering with this though, simply because I cannot afford it and honestly prefer the Xbox's online service out of the two.

While I think it's kind of silly Sony are now charging for 'premium' content after advertising their service was free, they're currently loosing money on every PS3 system made so they need to make the cash back somehow, right? Still, there's not a whole lot I'll be missing out on seeing as though I get quite a lot of this stuff with Live already.

I reckon a lot of the 'Member Only In-game Content' will be PlayStation Home related, something I've only bothered with once and then un-installed.

Edited by bolt7
  • Bad Quality Post 2

A lot of what is listed sounds really awesome, but since I don't know how much it's going to cost I'll reserve my judgment for later.

Everyone else gets gimped games.

Really really hope this isn't true. I'll be getting a PS3 soon and I don't want to miss out on loads of shit or be "forced" to pay for yet another gaming subscription.

Gimped games? What the hell are you on about? You have absolutely no idea what sort of 'exclusive content' people are going to be getting with this service and you're already bitching about people who don't pay somehow getting an incomplete game. Pretty shitty way to look at things, if you ask me.

And honestly, the way it sounds you'll still be able to play online for free. This is just extra stuff for people who are willing to pay for more. You pay more, you get more, that's always how it goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gimped games? What the hell are you on about? You have absolutely no idea what sort of 'exclusive content' people are going to be getting with this service and you're already bitching about people who don't pay somehow getting an incomplete game. Pretty shitty way to look at things, if you ask me.

Oh come on, this is the exact same situation as the whole dlc debate. How do you figure it being any different?

Game content will be held back for people without Premium.

I'd bet my imaginary third kidney on it. And I love that thing.

And honestly, the way it sounds you'll still be able to play online for free. This is just extra stuff for people who are willing to pay for more. You pay more, you get more, that's always how it goes.

That's not how it has to go. If this thing keeps going and picks up momentum they're bound to start taking things from "non-premium" PS3 players too.

Now I'm not saying it sounds worse than MS' online fee lameness, but I seriously respected Sony for keeping all their services free for so long. This would be a buzzkill.

Your hypothesis of doom has a bit of a flaw to it, because you forget that the bulk of titles on the PS3 are multiformat. There is no way that core content will be held back if a game is multiformat.

Most likely this would be things like bonus features or modes that don't actually contributue to the core game play... For example, say this was already in existence on the Xbox, I would be willing to bet that this would cover things like the Sonic and Sega Racers games Avatar character function.

But if you want a PS3 example. Uncharted 2 had a number of bonus features for people who purchased the more expensive version, one such item was golden guns, it does utterly nothing to the game nor gives you a bonus, they just look nice. Other examples would be several skins for Resistance 2, and in the United States a number of players got exclusive zombie and mayor skins for Ghostbusters.

See the example they list.

unlocked in-game weapons or player slots, exclusive levels, costumes/skins, and PlayStation Home spaces.

Does that, or does that not sound a lot like the kind of stuff a collectors eddition of a game contains... level X weaponry unlocked. New costumes/skins, Homes spaces (this almost happened with Batman), the only thing there which is slightly concerning would be the levels... but if you ask me, that'll turn out to be Map Pack type content.

Also... shall we not forget that this is not the final list.

Your hypothesis of doom has a bit of a flaw to it, because you forget that the bulk of titles on the PS3 are multiformat. There is no way that core content will be held back if a game is multiformat.

What about things like the 360 exclusive item of FFXIII? I'm betting it'll be an item on the disc that is held back for special members on the PS3 version, and same for other games. For example Soulcalibur IV has exclusive characters.

Most likely this would be things like bonus features or modes that don't actually contributue to the core game play... For example, say this was already in existence on the Xbox, I would be willing to bet that this would cover things like the Sonic and Sega Racers games Avatar character function.

Or like the multiplayer modes of RE5? The point is I love paying for stuff that's already on the disc. You can't deny this will happen with premium too.

Also... shall we not forget that this is not the final list.

I'm really hoping this.

I resent Microsoft for making us pay for something that should be free. Just because MS do it doesn't mean it's OK for everyone else to do it too.

Doesn't stop Microsoft from keeping Silver members from downloading content on the day they're released.

Yeah, SuperLink's right, premium users aren't getting anything early, they're just delaying stuff for regular users. Oh wow, I'm paying for the privilege to play a demo when I should. I also dislike the idea of there being premium only content.

And charging for cross game voice chat, what? Damit, Sony, I've been trying to migrate to your console to get away from this kind of stuff.

This list comes from one of those official water-testing surveys whose contents might pan out, suffer some changes in the transition towards the real product or disappear completely into nothingness. So be aware before getting your hopes up / angry ;P

My personal opinion on the listed features, assuming they became true, is simple: cross game chat *needs* to be available for everyone and artificially delaying content to users is bullshit. On the other side that reward program sounds neat, as do discounts and guaranteed beta access. Free PSOne games is downright awesome.

Still, it'd take a shitload of features to get me to pay a subscription service. I can barely afford games nowadays, so its good to hear there wouldn't be restrictions to the most basic feature: online play.

For example Soulcalibur IV has exclusive characters.

Um correction...DID have exclusive characters. 360 and ps3 both share the same characters (vader & yoda).

The only things I'd take issue with is, as people said before, voice chat and 'early access' (unless it's things like Betas or whatever). Sony would be wise to release voice chat to all users, and not block non-paying users out of content for a week or something. 'Member-only in-game content' I'd take issue with as well, although they will probably implement this the same way as Collector's Editions of games, so I don't see the big outrage on that one. Because if you bought the vanilla version of Uncharted 2 or MW2 for example, you'd be just as 'locked' out of specific content too.

The rest sounds great. It's the sort of thing that would be acceptable for Sony to ask for - non-mandatory features that give you something back for your money rather than unfairly expands your experience with stuff that all users should be getting. I would go for the free PS1/Minis thing and the hour-long trials thing myself, if only the PSN had more content that I'd like to try (something for them to work on next year!).

And none of this may happen anyway, so yeah. But if it did (minus the three things I said above), it wouldn't be the end of the world. Online play and all the other important services would still be free, so there's nothing really worth complaining about here.

Oh come on, this is the exact same situation as the whole dlc debate.

I think the DLC debate is stupid too!

Well if you're wrong I'll enjoy ripping out of your imaginary carcass. :P

I think the DLC debate is stupid too!

It's stupid but 100% true isn't it? Developers hold content back and make you pay for it.

Well if you're wrong I'll enjoy ripping out of your imaginary carcass. :P

Don't hold your breath.

Edited by SuperLink

Other than the free PSN discounts and allotments and the cloud storage space, this is almost entirely bullshit, especially the stuff that there is no reason Sony couldn't implement fro everyone other than being dickheads.

I have to pay for cross game chat, frequently held up as the biggest gripe with PSN? I have to pay to set my system so it can update automatically, when that is such a simple thing to implement that it practically already does it (this applies equally to the Trophies content change)? I have to pay for my PS3 to do something the PSP has done from day one? I have to pay to use NetFlix on my PS3 from the XMB when all the DVD does anyways is act as a boot disc? I have to pay to use Hulu on my PS3 from the XMB? I have to pay to have more decent facebook integration right after Sony made a big deal about how thorough the PS3's facebook integration already was? And, most worringly, I have to pay to use shit for a game that I bought that is already on the disc?

I'm surprised more people don't have issue with this, tough:

Extended Console Warranty 3 Years

Get your PS3 warranty extended to 3 years as part of your overall subscription (requires you to keep your subscription active). The standard warranty on your PS3 is 1 year.

Lol wut? So, whether or not the PS3 actually has a worrying failure rate (I don't think it does, but that is irrelevant), I have to pay for my $300 system to have a warranty as long as the one Microsoft implemented when they were specifically threatened with a lawsuit?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

This is not confirmed and not true. What gives the red flag is the netflix with no disc thing... It has already been confirmed that in late 2010 you will not need a disc to use it and it will be implemented into the firmware. I say wait until Sony confirms it. My guess is this "subscription" will be for renting full games off of the PSN and early access to things, like Qore already does. Basically Qore but more widespread and with Qore they are not holding things back they are just giving you beta access and info early. No different from a magazine getting exclusive info.

Other than the free PSN discounts and allotments and the cloud storage space, this is almost entirely bullshit, especially the stuff that there is no reason Sony couldn't implement fro everyone other than being dickheads.

I have to pay for cross game chat, frequently held up as the biggest gripe with PSN? I have to pay to set my system so it can update automatically, when that is such a simple thing to implement that it practically already does it (this applies equally to the Trophies content change)? I have to pay for my PS3 to do something the PSP has done from day one? I have to pay to use NetFlix on my PS3 from the XMB when all the DVD does anyways is act as a boot disc? I have to pay to use Hulu on my PS3 from the XMB? I have to pay to have more decent facebook integration right after Sony made a big deal about how thorough the PS3's facebook integration already was? And, most worringly, I have to pay to use shit for a game that I bought that is already on the disc?

Thing is, what else could they offer? I agree with the X-game chat, and the Facebook one does sound a bit bizarre. But the difference between auto-updates is a button press - I'm not going to lose sleep over not having automatic updates if Sony need money from those who would rather pay for that feature. Netflix... well, we don't get that over here anyway, but the difference is a disc, which I personally wouldn't cry about. With your last point, you might as well argue about the DLC model in general rather than Sony, and Hulu - I don't think that has anything to do with Sony. Hulu blocked PS3 access from their website some time ago, so the mention of it here for paying customers says more about Hulu wanting money off of PS3 users than Sony taking it back and wanting to charge for it. Hulu is, after all, run by America TV studios like 20th CF - money money money!

Lol wut? So, whether or not the PS3 actually has a worrying failure rate (I don't think it does, but that is irrelevant), I have to pay for my $300 system to have a warranty as long as the one Microsoft implemented when they were specifically threatened with a lawsuit?

I'm not bothered. You have to realise that the only reason Microsoft's warranty is even 3 years is because of that lawsuit. And the lawsuit exists because of the shoddy construction of the console. The PS3 doesn't warrant a two year warranty for its hardware, let alone three. This is exactly the same deal as getting an optional extended warranty from your local game/electronics store. Again, I don't see the outrage. Maybe Americans like everything to be free or are paranoid about consoles after the 360, I dunno.

Thing is, what else could they offer?

They wouldn't need to offer anything other than the online space and the PSN allotment stuff. For the pricing ideas that have been floating around, ($30 a year or so), it still remains a pretty good buy for PS3 owners. However, everything else on the proposed list is putative against non-premium members rather than a real bonus for premium PSN members.

With your last point, you might as well argue about the DLC model in general rather than Sony

I don't have a problem with DLC. I have a problem with companies abusing it. The thing proposed in the list is the absolute worst way that companies can abuse it short of charging for patches. And Sony underwriting it under the guise of "Premium Content" is the scariest way it could be used, because it could desensitize people to the scam on a mass scale.

I'm not bothered.

You also have the Sale of Goods Act.

Again, I don't see the outrage.

The main PS3 failure is startlingly similar to that of the 360. Not nearly as common, and Sony handles things much better than Microsoft does when they do repair it, but still pretty much the same circumstances. Perhaps you could call me paranoid, then.

Edited by Tornado

You also have the Sale of Goods Act.

I didn't know that the British Governments Sales of Goods Act covered the globe!

I didn't know that the British Governments Sales of Goods Act covered the globe!

I didn't know Dread lived everywhere in the world at once. You'll note that I was replying to a specific part of Dread's post, and that I later conceded that I might just be being paranoid.

Edited by Tornado

I didn't know Dread lived everywhere in the world at once.

Then why are you using it in a negative point when by your own remark there it will benefit users which don't have the same level of consumer coverage?

Then why are you using it in a negative point when by your own remark there it will benefit users which don't have the same level of consumer coverage?

Dread mentioned that it didn't bother him. I was countering that it shouldn't.