Awoo.

Sonic Jam's Sonic World

-Mark-

Well, after finally having got around to getting myself a copy of Sonic Jam (late, much?) after previously only having rented it a few times as a kid, I've been playing through the Sonic World section for the first time in the best part of eleven years.

So, I thought- with the Saturn being the only SEGA console that never really had a 'proper' Sonic game, do you think a game based on Sonic World (or rather, if it had been expanded into a full game as opposed to a one-level bonus) would have worked?

I personally think it could have, at least. I mean, granted, the Sonic World section can be finished in around ten minutes if you know exactly what you're doing and get everything right first time, but then the odds of that are fairly slim. Realistically you're probably looking at around 20-30 minutes for someone playing it for the first time. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I'd not have minded them churning out another five or six levels of the same gameplay. Obviously they'd have to spice it up a bit with enemies and bosses, but I reckon it could have worked.

Obviously it'd be dated today, but I'm really asking whether you think it would have been a good idea at the time or not. I mean, the way I see it, aside from being strictly time-based missions, the style of the mission-based gameplay itself isn't all that different from Mario's 3D games.

But yeah, what does everyone else think? Personally, I can't help but think what unused potential Sonic World had for a possible full Saturn game every time I play it. Well, okay, the camera seriously needed fixing, but still. >.>

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic World is a test for Sonic Adventure, like an alpha or something.

But I agree, a game like this would have certainly be cool. I love to run in this little piece of world, jumping, flying with Tails, etc.

I honestly thing that Sonic X-treme should've been based upon the exact build and engine of Sonic World. It's easy on the eyes and honestly, I was giggling like a Japanese schoolgirl when I played it, and I'm a nineteen year old guy in college, so you know that was creepy Sonic world was good.

Plus, the fisheye camera in Sonic X-treme made me want to gouge my eyes with a rusty switchblade.

-Iceman

• Thumbs Up 2

I never got the chance to play this, but it seems to me like there's not a lot of... game to the game. Seems like mini-game tag the goal kind of stuff. What were the missions in Sonic World? It was like touching checkpoints and ring collecting, right? I would say no to Worlds as it is, I think it needs a few more layers of play to it. Of course for the full game the map would be expanded a bit. If they came up with the World engine a little earlier, the 3D Blast concept would've fit it perfectly. Seeing those Flickies floating around in World makes me want to collect them. Add some loops and some hills like Sonic R had. That'd be the 32-bit Sonic I always wanted, and screw 3D Blast. Sonic World looks like it moves very smoothly. I wonder how it would work if Sonic was a bit faster, he's kind of slow in World.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

I never got the chance to play this, but it seems to me like there's not a lot of... game to the game. Seems like mini-game tag the goal kind of stuff. What were the missions in Sonic World? It was like touching checkpoints and ring collecting, right?

The article on the wiki contains all the learndings you might need.

For extra points, listen to the uber-catchy music while reading! :D

Sounds like what Adabat should have sounded like.

You can't really complain about the gameplay since it was just a little bonus feature to creatively present the additional content in the game, making it essentially a menu. A fucking good menu mind you.

Sonic World was absolutely freaking awesome. I would so pay top dollar for a full version of the game. The only beefs I had with it were the lack of a roll/spindash (which explains itself as it is stated as the prototype of SA1), he's a little bit on the slow side (he seriously could of been a little faster), and that the stage was so small and flat that, of course, everything couldve been completed in that short amount of time, since collect-a-thon missions were the only thing considerably in the replay value for it.

I wish they would've kept that format for future Sonics though. He was in one open field with the ability to do missions and do platforming, much like Mario 64. However, if it would've been worked on more, I'm sure we would've had slopes and loops and the roll/spindash, enemies, hazards, and an overall way bigger gamefield, then make 2 or 3 acts by making other large fields like this, and also having several different stages. It basically would've been a Mario 64 take of the Sonic franchise, and it sounds like it would've been absolutely amazing if it continued the path that it was going in. Really, this is what I've always wanted the Sonic series to be in 3D, and it amazes me that it seems they actually considered this direction.

Besides, the Sonic World model (also known as the Sonic R model) is adorable. :3

Edited by Azukara

• 2 weeks later...

The engine for Sonic World later evolved into Sonic Adventure - the greatest videogame of all time.

So, yeah; I'd say that it had "full game potential"... and then some!

• Thumbs Up 1

When I first bought Sonic Jam like four years ago out of Gamestation (back when they sold games on every console known to man and deserved to be called Gamestation) I never really knew much about Sonic Jam. I had only seen a couple of short clips of the sonic world and thought it was an entire game. Once I bought it, I was a little disapointed :( but I do love the Sonic World and I have always thought they should've made a full sonic game with it, even if they did it today, I mean its never too late for a game to be created :D Whenever I play Sonic R I go into training mode and run through the levels for fun thinking to myself "This is soooo what the sonic world would be like if it was fixed up and had levels" XD

Edited by spartan-666

I remember when people who saw the History of Sonic movie in Sonic Mega Collection though Jam was a full game and asked it to appear in the next collection game.

A full game of Sonic World with more fun objectives like SM64, with physics-based challenges and mini-games, larger environments, a faster Sonic and special stages comparable to those of Sonic 3D Blast's (Saturn version) would be great.

I remember when people who saw the History of Sonic movie in Sonic Mega Collection though Jam was a full game and asked it to appear in the next collection game.
I remember people who wanted it in even knowing it was just a collection with bonuses.

Sonic World really doesn't do much for me. It's not much of a game in itself, and it doesn't do anything particularly interesting. And I really don't like the idea of Sonic turning into SM64.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes I would have loved to see a full game with this engine. I think it could have worked very well and I would have enjoyed playing it for many years.

I remember playing Sonic Jam back in 1997 with my friend and running around in Sonic World, visiting the houses. I have great memories of this game and I still give it a play sometimes today.

I always thought it was a neat little extra, but that's about where I drew the line. It seems a bit too awkward and basic to act as any kind of full game engine, and I can't imagine anything but something like Sonic World being acceptable or interesting to play.

I disagree. The camera isnt very good but then again at the time it was played....nevermind mario 64 would've still somehow topped this. (if sonic world were to become its own game)