Awoo.

Your opinion on rail grinding.

S0NIC-Keyblade 007

I love the grinding of the rails as well. And it should continue to appear, but they shouldn't get rail happy either.

I just want them (or anyone else) to think about Sonic's "other" natural ability... the fact that he's Extremely Athletic to a degree in which we cannot even begin to comprehend =\ (I think someone else mentioned something along the lines like this sometime ago). 

I don't like that they've been so obsessive with using rails in every level of every Sonic game since SA2, especially if they're connected to the main path as random suspended rails. That's just inane and silly looking, and is generally random and unfitting (unless if it was a train station like off Heroes, then it makes a little bit more sense). Rails should be kept as a minimum gimmick that appears only every once in a while; maybe being in a game only one or two times as a completely alternate path, and not something the game forces you to encounter.

As for the mechanics, I would like a mix of SA2's and Unleashed's. Sonic still would balance and crouch to gain speed on declines, but yet could still switch rails like on Unleashed, and still do the 180-degree spin thing as an attack while on rails, just in case if a flying enemy came over and swooped at you while grinding. Imagine it where they're both on the same button, being where holding the button makes Sonic crouch, and letting go makes Sonic do the spin, which doesn't aid you in gaining speed, but instead as said serves as an attack.

I enjoy the rail sections of the levels for the most part, but they seriously need to tone down how often they show up. Really, you don't need them in every level.

As for how the rails would work, it depends on the kind of game, and I don't feel like going into all of the possibilities right now, them being endless.

If they're gonna have rails in the games, they should be more than just auto rides from one area to another. Though they've pretty much already perfected the basic controls for the rails, albeit in separate games. Just combine SA2's controls with Unleashed or Shadow's rail switching mechanics.

SA2 also had the best balance in rail frequency. They were more a part of the level architecture than a part of the level design. Though they were used to their fullest potential until Final Rush which was the only(?) time where you could do tricks off of them in a few stages.

EDIT: Fix'd

Edited by Black Spy

I still think that the whole rail bit is cool in Sonic games (hell its become a staple after SA2), but at same time, I feel like its just lost its touch. The rails have been almost thrown in just for the sake of having a rail in a level, and at times I wonder "why the hell am I grinding at this area?" The rails in SA2, and some parts in Heroes, actually made since, and the rails were just a small gimmick to an overall great game.

As far as which grinding scheme that I prefer is the SA2 scheme. It just felt nice and smooth in my opinion.

Grinding should have either:

a. died with the Soap shoes

b. Become a Shadow only gimmick, since only he has the proper footwear

Basically, it's sucked since SA2.

I want to point out something within this post.

Rail grinding was going to be introduced in the game regardless of whether or not Sonic was wearing SOAP shoes as proven in the trial version. In fact, the mechanic was called "sliding" at the time.

But regardless of this fact, I think the gimmick's run its course. Rail grinding seems to have become a crutch for level designing and is mostly used for crossing large gaps. Perhaps removing grinding would force the designers to develop different methods of level design.

Perhaps removing grinding would force the designers to develop different methods of level design.
They'd just add more springs and boost ramps.

Don't blame the rails for lazy design, blame the designers.

The rails should only be used as an alternative and slightly faster way to move downhill and DOWNHILL only. Aside from that, they should not be the focus of an entire level, nor should they move in loops or uphill; it's ridiculous.

They'd just add more springs and boost ramps.

Don't blame the rails for lazy design, blame the designers.

I did not say rails were the sole blame for lazy design. I was merely saying that "maybe" it would help.

The rails should only be used as an alternative and slightly faster way to move downhill and DOWNHILL only. Aside from that, they should not be the focus of an entire level, nor should they move in loops or uphill; it's ridiculous.

But where's the spectacle in that? The rails make great use, or at least can make great use of the physics to go in ways that'd pretty much be impossible in any other game, case in point, the 90 degree vertical rails in Final Rush.

If they only went downhill, they might as well be hills.

Edited by Black Spy

I liked how rail grinding was implemented in Sonic Advance 2, every character can do it and Sonic and Amy can pull off stunts at the end of certain rails to reach higher/further away areas similar to Sonic Adventure 2's rail system.

I didn't like Sonic Advance 2's rails. Because of the new trick system I really didn't jump much. So when I was on a rail I was hoping for a not so sudden death but when I get more into the game without jumping I really don't. So that was the end of me for a while. :/

But rails overal should be like some kind way to get to a secret place in general. The character tends to slow down if they don't have a lot of momentium. So the rail levels had some slowdown in them. But I did liked the loops. :D But otherwise I don't see much of a need for them. Besides... Now everyone is grinding and they never had soap shoes. And it made sense when Sonic had the shoes but now it's silly. :/

That begs the question: What is the point of having them? There's plenty of other options for allowing Sonic to move fast, especially downhill of all directions.

If one absolutely needs to give rails a greater sense of purpose, then allow them only to lead to alternate paths or stashes of hidden items, or at the very least, reinstate SA2's trick system.

I also see no reason to eliminate rails that go upwards or in loops; We've had nonsensical landscaping since day one.

Well, I guess in retrospect it depends on the type of Sonic game too. Are we talking 2D Advance/Rush, 3D like SA2 or Heroes, or something more akin to Unleashed?

I thought it was pretty fun to have the rail grinding on there. It's not entirely necessary that every game post-Adventure 2 should have it but it would make things pretty damn fun to do. I really loved the way the rail grinding was handled in SA2, but HATED it in ShTH.

Basically, rails in a level should allow you to do things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M41A8egoLI. Final Rush is my favorite 3D final level. Notice the top speeds you can get on the rails. You need to platform off them in some situations, or switch on them for a different kind of platforming. You can flip off them for tricks, and your momentum is important. There are vertical rails that work in a number of interesting ways. Lastly there are so many different rails that take you different parts of the level. You don't just get on any rail, there's a choice you make to take the left or right one. Most of these elements are dropped from later games. Rails weren't high speed at all between SA2 and Unleashed. The difference between SA2 rails and other games is you watch the grinding in those other games. In levels like this you were playing the game. I'd like them to get creative with rails again. Bring vertical rails back, or something else entirely new. I liked the spikes on the rails in Altitude Limit from Sonic Rush that you destroyed with the boost. They started putting spikes on the Unleashed rails, and along with the smoother switching mechanic that was awesome. Rails really weren't meant to be just a bridge between platform 1 and 2, which is what they became for a few years. They're really not a bad gimmick, they've just been reduced to their most basic. And grinding on scenery should return (something else dropped from SA2). It's pretty basic to show players grind rails and expect them to grind on them, but if different parts of the level that weren't rails were grindable, it becomes fun to make those discoveries.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

The ironic thing about rail grinding, is the programmer who created it, (Sonic & the Black Knight's director), also made it suck in Sonic Heroes.

The ironic thing about rail grinding, is the programmer who created it, (Sonic & the Black Knight's director), also made it suck in Sonic Heroes.

I call Executive Meddling.

Ha ha.

Or it could just be that sonic heroes renderware engine couldn't handle good physics, cause even the characters running physics felt wacky.

I personally like the idea of rail grinding though I agree it has been dumbed down to the point where much of the fun and skill has been taken from it. Though I can't say I was a big fan of the balance system they had in SA2 I did love the trick system. It was fun to play the level over and over to master all the tricks and attempt to maximize the score. I was actually very disappointed when I discovered this element had been taken out completely when playing Heroes for the first time.

As for the frequency of the rails in games, well I have to say I agree that it's gone overboard in that some of the rails just seem thrown in there just for the sake of grinding. One of the things I loved about the rails in SA2 is that many of them were optional and looked as though they belonged in the world. Heck in the first level you were grinding down hand rails as Sonic or the suspension cables on a bridge if you were Shadow, things we all know exist in the real world. Final Chase and Rush then sorta abandoned this familiarity but offered multiple paths and tons of opportunities for tricks and killer stunts :D .

So to sum up I like the idea of rails but I think the trick system should return to allow for some thought or skill to be used otherwise all you end up doing is going on autopilot. Also things like

should be avoided. I mean how linear can you get? Also the rails are all just.... floating there... How did Sonic get out to them? What's holding them up? Why are they there? True we can say this about most springs and floating platforms and such by these seem just out in the middle of nowhere and don't allow for any exploration at all. You can take the upper rail or the lower rails and, fancy that, they all lead to the same place. Oooo what a variety of options <_< . Compare this to say Final Rush and you just feel cheated.

It was done to absolute perfection in SA2, was non-essential, boring and buggy in Heroes, was virtually non-existent in Shadow the Hedgehog and returned to brilliance in Sonic '06 (the fact that the rails attract homing attacks is pure genius; whoever came up with that idea should be given a big, shiny medal that says "I'm da MAN!").

Unfortunately, it was pointless in Sonic Unleashed, as the hedgehog ran too fast for me to appreciate virtually any of the gameplay mechanics, including the rails.

In the 2D outings, grinding was mostly broken; I don't want to fall to an inevitable and unstoppable death due to the fact that I instinctively jumped once while on a rail, and I really resent the fact that grinding actually SLOWS ME DOWN in the Advance series...

So, if they make the grinding mechanics IDENTICAL to Sonic '06 or SA2 (or even a combination between both), I will be very happy bunny!

Rail grinding can be a cool part of gameplay, as long as it's done right. SA2 did it right, but Heroes sort of fell short. Also, it can start to grind on some players' gears if the level consisted of mostly rail grinding. (i.e. the last level in the Hero story of SA2). I haven't played '06 or Unleashed yet, so I don't know how it worked on those titles.

I think rail grinding is fun and cool but it was only done perfectly right in SA2. Like JTW said it isn't necessary to use it in every single new Sonic game. I think it's a bit overused, but don't see any reason to entirely leave it out.

Unleashed did rail grinding pretty well by having it be easy and non intrusive. I never realy liked them just sticking RGing in my face when that realy only worked in SA2. As for future games I don't realy care if they put it in any new games but if they were to do it like unleashed I wouldn't mind it.