Awoo.

The Sonic Advance Appreciation Thread

azoo

Wow, interesting that they swapped the Sonic 1 and 2 boss music for Sonic 4 boss music. If I was in charge I'd have just given them the regular Sonic Advance boss music.

Having said that, the fact that Sonic 4's final boss theme is fitting for a redux of the very first boss from the entire franchise... kind of says something about what a simple, unfinal-bossish tune it is.

Also kinda funny that they composed a new thing for the invincibility tune... could have just used Advance 2/3's invincibility theme and it would have actually made it consistant with those games.

Edited by JezMM

If anyone wants to take a peek, here's a little gameplay of Ice Mountain Act 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkAWlk8Vz2o

This was originally made for LOst from the Sonic Retro Forums, since he wanted to compare it to the original. Unfortunately it's impossible to contact him without being at the SR forum, so if someone's on it, may you please point it to him?

Anyway, all I have to say about SAdvAnd is that I really like it.

The levels are epic, the music (despite being midi) is godly and the gameplay is (without the lag) faster than the classics, but still keeps the platforming creative and challenging.

Another aspect is having different characters with own movesets, which gives the game big variety.

Edited by Debug Mode
  • Thumbs Up 1

I loved the Advance Series...all three of them (gasp)

Sonic Advance, ironically, isn't my top three (sitting in second). Yes the gameplay is reminiscent of the Genesis/Mega Drive days and I liked that, but...

Most of the level layouts were kind of boring and felt...well..empty to me...

The level themes though; those greatly varied (Ice Mountain and Cosmic Angel were my favorites).

Most of the music is forgettable, but this one here really stands out for me:

[

]

Sonic Advance 2 was my least favorite...

Speed, speed , speed was all the rage in this game, and while I liked that new mechanic, there were numerous bottomless pits, enemy placement and even emptier and sye-soringly bad level layouts (damn Techno Base) AND collecting the Chaos Emeralds made this a damn chore to do. Still haven't finished Advance 2 to date on my own...

The music was better, but not great.

Sonic Advance 3 is my favorite, solely because that was the only onhe out of the three that I actually brought tongue.png

This game really went out of its way to be unique...borrowing a feature from Knuckles Chaotix as the new gameplay mechanic in this game...the Tag Action! I feel it worked out alright, just underutilized. I love how bizzare the themes and levels were in this game. The levels required more platforming, and being a sucker for Platforming games, I loved it.

I loved the music in this game. Yeah, GBA soundfont is crap...but I loved the tracks here over Battle's...the music in that game sounded like frikkin' chickenscratch...

So yeah..that's my two cents on it. Would love to play them sparingly for quick passing of time and what not....

Edited by TheChaosBlue

My favorite memory about these games is that I lost Sonic Advance 2 at one point and found it wedged in one of my old Pokemon TCG albums a few years later only to find I lost Advance 3 right after that.

• 5 years later...

Still got em, still play em. I love the teamwork concept in Advance 3. Made it challenging

• 4 months later...
On 11/27/2011 at 7:00 PM, azoo said:

Talkin about ultrabumping. Geez, looking back, I used to be such a nostalgiatard it hurts.

At the same time, Sonic Advance is still the best Advance, and I still think it's one of the best Sonic games out there. Looking back my opinion is still kind of spot-on; music, gameplay, level design and art style were all really awesome, although I kinda question just how much I really care about the sprite stylings of the Advance games.

I'm so glad the game's getting more publicity though. Android release sounds really cool, although I heard it sucks because it lags a good bit.

Hidden Content

IWhile Advanced 1 was really great, Sonic Advanced 2 was made with a different mindset. It was not a game like the classic or like the first game. Tbh Advanced 2 should be more compared to the Rush games or Boost. It's clearly ignoring the more platform based Sonic design, so it should be judged as such.

I love Advance 3 because of how fast paced and F-Zeroish it is.

Sonic Advance 3 is the best of the bunch but a little less polished. The deep mechanics and big levels is what got me loving the game. Even the level design was good for the most part. The bottomless pits were somewhat of issue but considering all of the abilities you have in that game, Partners like Amy, Tails or characters that help you fly negates some of it. Fans really couldn't adapt to the advanced games in general because they expected them to be just like the classics. They complain about enemy placement but much of that was in Sonic 3 also. I do agree that some of the placements were a little shite. Like with all Sonic games however, once you've learned the layout, it's no problem.

I will say that the crushing was annoying. That was a little glitchy there..

Other than that, Advance was great series...Advance 1 definitely beat out Sonic 1, on par with 2 and almost rivals 3. Advance 3 is right on par with Sonic 3k.

End gush/

EDIT: The tag team action wasn't used well by players from what I see and hear. The incentive seemed to be "well if I can get through the level without tag actions, why use them?"