Awoo.

Kingdom Hearts Discussion Redeux [PS2, GBA,DS,PSP]

Twilight Spines

New trailer is nice since I can actually hear what Ansem is saying at the end, but I'm kind of getting tired of hearing Simple and Clean. It really clashes with the video this time, seems like it would've been better just to turn the volume down on Vanitas' theme. Question, though: If that is Ansem talking at the end, why does it look like Master Xehanort's face is under the hood? If it's Ansem shouldn't he be pale and blond, or do the dark cloaks do the same thing his DiZ outfit did and completely alter his appearance?

Liking all the voices, Leonard Nimoy is an awesome Master Xehanort. Aqua's and Vanitas' voices are great too, especially Vanitas' awesome crazy laugh.

Question, though: If that is Ansem talking at the end, why does it look like Master Xehanort's face is under the hood?

That actually is Master Xehanort, though Ansem's lines a from a different scene.

Edited by Nix

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow is the big day! (For America, anyway.)

I really can't wait to get my hands on this one. It's been pretty hard to resist the leaked videos, but somehow I did it. (Save for a few teency scenes.)

Got my copy pre-ordered and Gamestop called me today. Tomorrow is going to be SWEET. :D

The whole game got leaked on Friday. It was pretty intense. People have already uploaded complete playthroughs to youtube and everything.

That being said, I'm going to enjoy it once I get my copy in the mail. BBS is a game worth buying, not getting for free. :B

I got mine yesterday, I've done about 4 Worlds with Aqua so far, then got tired and stuck in Olympus Colosseum. Then I went to sleep.

I would be further by now but I only have one copy of the game, and one PSP, and a brother, haha.

Really loving it so far though <3 this game was the primary reason I got a PSP in the first place, and it's finally here! Much better than the DS game for sure.

The final boss in Terra's story was a goddamn asshole, I had to level up 12 times before fighting him again. Then I just spammed block and counter hammer.

The final boss in Terra's story was a goddamn asshole, I had to level up 12 times before fighting him again. Then I just spammed block and counter hammer.

I just completed Terra's story myself and I wholeheartedly agree on how frustrating he is. However, there is an easier way to go about fighting him. Once I melded and equipped a Renewal Block, I beat him in one try. That made it so I didn't need to constantly worry about healing and focus on countering him.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game so far! Terra's story was great fun and I love how just completing one story unlocks the theater mode. I'm definitely going to start up Ven's story a bit later.

Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded's official NA site is up! The game will release in both NA and Europe on January 14th, 2011! We're getting it a lot sooner than BBS.

The NA box art has been released as well and S-E have announced a pre-order bonus. Like BBS, it's a decal set.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

• 2 months later...

Topic Bump......NEW INTERVIEW FOR KINGDOM HEARTS 3D!!!!!! May Contain Nuts........and spoilers.

http://heartstation.org/archives/2462

NAMINE LEADS THE WAY TO THE FUTURE WHERE SORA AND RIKU SPIN A NEW TALE

Beware of spoilers! Closing in on the story's mysteries

One month has passed since the release of the game itself. For all those users who've seen the ending and can't help wondering about what comes after this in the series, we had an interview with the director, Tetsuya Nomura. It contains spoilers, so anyone who hasn't cleared the game, beware!

A story that started with Namine

-- How did you arrive at the idea of using the data world as the setting this time? --

Nomura: First of all, I thought that I wanted to make "Re:coded" a compact tale. I also wanted some resolution with respect to Jiminy's notes that disappeared in "Chain of Memories". And so I decided to convert the journal to data, and have the setting be its internal world.

-- It's clear that this time, the storylines in each world are basically completed, making it easy to understand. --

Nomura: We made it that way intentionally. I think it's a story that's easy to swallow (laughs)

-- Are the bugs that appeared in Jiminy's Journal a result of Namine writing in the journal? --

Nomura: After "Chain of Memories", while in the middle of repairing Sora's memories, Namine noticed that someone's "pain" was inside Sora. She wrote in the journal, "We must return to free them from their torment," which at the same time created the bugs. That was the beginning of this game's story.

-- Why didn't Namine just tell Sora that directly? --

Nomura: She simply didn't have the opportunity. She became aware of someone's "pain" while Sora was already sleeping. After that, she thought it was her fate to disappear, and she wasn't able to meet Sora until right before she was assimilated by Kairi. She didn't understand how much meaning that "pain" would have. At some point Sora would need to remember. Feeling this, she wrote in the journal.

-- So Namine wasn't thinking that she might create bugs? --

Nomura: She didn't anticipate that at all. The bugs always occur in unexpected places. Namine just wanted to convey a message. The bugs, and the growth of Sora and the Heartless, were all unexpected events.

-- So did the Data Sora have a heart? --

Nomura: In theory he didn't, but I'll leave that up to the imagination of all the users who've seen the ending.

Mysteries of the Secret Movie

-- Watching the Secret Movie really heightens our anticipation for what happens next. --

Nomura: Unexpectedly, it seems everyone has gotten a big shock from the Secret Movie.

-- In the Secret Movie, the King and Yen Sid say that they've learned the location of Ventus' heart, and only Terra's remains. So we might assume the two of them know Aqua is in the world of darkness. --

Nomura: That what we're hinting at.

-- Is there a possibility the King met her during the time he was in the world of darkness after "Kingdom Hearts"? --

Nomura: I can't say anything about that yet.

-- What if the revived Xehanort was not alone? Yen Sid said this, what did he mean? --

Nomura: It was meant literally. What if there were a number of Xehanorts? Imagining that might give you a bad feeling, though (laughs)

<<<Translation note: I would personally interpret Nomura's meaning here metaphorically, something like, "What if there were a number of Master-level bad guys like Xehanort?" But since what he actually says is, "What if there were a number of Xehanorts," I left the translation literal for people to draw their own conclusions.>>>

-- That's scary (laughs). So is there a possibility other members of Organisation XIII will be revived? --

Nomura: If their Heartless were destroyed somewhere, there might be a possibility.

-- At what point in time was Xehanort split into Ansem and Xemnas? Was it while he'd lost his memories? --

Nomura: Something happened between "Birth by Sleep" and "Kingdom Hearts". The incident was in the Ansem Reports in "Kingdom Hearts". Whether or not he really lost his memories... Braig doubted as much in the Secret Movie of "Birth by Sleep".

-- Also, at the present time there's only one Master, and this is the King, right? When did the King become a Master?

Nomura: At the time of "Birth by Sleep", the King was in the middle of his Mark of Mastery exam. So after that, at the time of "Kingdom Hearts", he had become a Master. Yen Sid has retired from being a Master, but he can carry out the Mark of Mastery exam. So this time, he says he's going to put Sora and Riku through the examination.

-- So, is something about the Mark of Mastery exam written on the letter Sora receives in the ending? --

Nomura: Hmm, I wonder. By the way, Kairi can use a Keyblade, but she won't be taking the exam.

The Mark of Mastery exam in "3D"

-- Will the format of this Mark of Mastery exam be shown in "Kingdom Hearts 3D"?

Nomura: Yes, "3D" will be the setting for it. The system that will become its core is done, so now we're thinking about how to implement that, continuing by trial and error. In "3D" you will be able to control Sora and Riku, but we're thinking we'll make the main system different for each. In "Chain of Memories", Sora and Riku's ways of using cards were different. We're planning to introduce different ways to play the two of them, like that.

-- Sora and Riku appear as they were in "Kingdom Hearts", why is that? --

Nomura: That's still a secret. I can only tell you that it's necessary for them to be in those forms for the story.

-- Are the worlds that appear the same as in "Kingdom Hearts"? --

Nomura: No, apart from original locations like Traverse Town, we plan to make all the Disney worlds new. We're proceeding with world selection at the moment, and have a lot of ideas we want to include.

-- Are you planning to use the 3D presentation characteristic of the 3DS? --

Nomura: In part, but not exclusively. In "3D" we intend to show the direction of evolution that connects to "III".

-- A connection to "III"?! --

Nomura: Yes. Both the system and story will be connected to "III". The ending of "KH3D" will probably continue in the story of "KHIII".

-- We'll be waiting impatiently to ask about that. So, what about the evolution of the system? --

Nomura: The KH series are basically games where you control a single character. It's fundamentally different to the party play of the FF series, so the course of its evolution is also different. Each has its own things you can and cannot do, so things we couldn't put in "FF Versus XIII" will be in the KH series, and vice-versa.

Looking at the series after this

-- Are you focussing on the release of "Birth by Sleep Final Mix" right now? --

Nomura: Work on that has basically finished. We're recording the new Secret Episode, so I really want those of you interested in plot mysteries to play it.

-- Will the Secret Episode be different to the Secret Movies we've seen so far? --

Nomura: In the Secret Episode, you'll actually be able to control characters. I think you'll be able to relish a different kind of surprise to simply watching a movie.

-- Will we be able to play a demo version of "Final Mix" at the event in December? --

Nomura: Yes, you will. We're preparing both single and multiplayer modes, and you'll be able to play the Monstro battle in multiplayer.

-- What other titles will you be showing? --

Nomura: We'll have demo stages for "The 3rd Birthday" and "Dissidia Duodecim FF". Also, we'll set up one object that appeared at the launch announcement event for "Re:coded", and we're thinking of setting up a place where you can cross paths and connect in "Re:coded", so make sure you come.

-- What about the conference connected to "Fabula Nova Crystallis FFXII", to be held next January? --

Nomura: Preparation is underway for that too. Please wait for details.

-- Finally please give us a message for your fans. --

Nomura: In "Re:coded", we've made a game that you can play for a long time. I think you'll be able to enjoy it until the release of the next title. We've decided on a release date of January 20th for "Final Mix". I think we'll be able to give a follow-up report on "3D" not too long after that, so please look forward to it.

And Spoilers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0UbVKQFjjc

Edited by Twilight Spines

Well it looks like KH 3D will be the last one before KH3.

Hopefully he goes right into KH3 afterward and doesn't go off track again.

I hope so too.I think he's tied up most of the plot threads anyway. There's no way for him to get out of making KH 3 that I can see.

Oh boy. Is Nomura making yet another game that'll explain away all of the corners he wrote himself into with the sequels? Jesus christ, just go back to basics already. As much as I would like to, I have no hope for KH3 at this point.

I don't even really get what the point of 3D is, other than giving us a Kingdom Hearts game to play...IN THE GLORIOUS 3RD DIMENSION. *Cue triumphant music*

Seriously now.

All it seems to be doing is going: "Hey, we should make Sora and Riku take that Mark of Mastery test!", according to Re:Coded's secret ending. I wonder why the hell it's even needed, they beat the shit out of both versions of Xehanort just fine without it. Apparently old him requires some possibly meaningless title to be taken down.

Also...fuck the what? Amazon is telling me that I'm going to receive my shipment of Re:Coded on December 30th instead of January 11th.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

You guys have to remember that Nomura is stubborn and refuses to let anyone but the VsXIII team work on KH3. :/ It won't be out until after 2012. KH3, that is.

Frankly, I think he should just let the BBS team work on KH3 because, IMO, BBS is a million times better than the convoluted mess that is KH2.

I actually loved KH2... seriously... best game in the whole series, at least of the ones I have played. I can't comment on BBS because I haven't played it.

But yeah, KH3 either won't be started until Versus XIII is complete, or BBS: Final Mix has been. More than likely some development has been started, as there are plenty of story elements and mentions to KH3 being thrown around, but mostlikely it either A.) will not really start being developed until either BBS: Final Mix or Versus XIII is done, or B.) it has only JUST started in development.

I don't think you can really say that Nomura only wants the "Versus XIII" team to be developing it. What you should note is that the BBS team hasn't really HAD time to work on anything, anyway. Unless they are working on 3D (which I suppose is likely), they will have time to start KH3 fairly soon, and probably will.

However, we really don't know anything about the inner workings of this whole thing.

I still love Kingdom Hearts II, despite all the flaws, I found it to be pretty fun.

However, The main problem I had with Kingdom Hearts II, was that it didn't give me the nostalgia I had when I first played Kingdom Hearts. I remember playing the first game and grinning whenever I saw parts of the game that reminded me of the original movie. Heck, I grinned like an Idiot when I saw Mickey Mouse for the first time in the game.

Unfortunately this was not quite the case with KH2. I dunno why, maybe it was the focus on the original characters and the complex storyline that didn't really keep me as giddy as when I played KH. Eh, despite this, I still had fun playing it.

I did like playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days. While some of the missions got incredibly tedious I did like the story, plus I had a portable game closer to the original gameplay of Kingdom Hearts.

I hated Chain of Memories though. The card system always screwed me over more times than I could count and I still can't get past the final Riku battle. And I really hated the ending to sora's story. Say what you want, but I hate endings where the characters forget everything at the end... To me it's almost as bad as the whole "it was all a dream" gimmick.

Haven't played Birth by Sleep yet. I really want to, but my lack of a PSP kinda screws everything up... unfortunately, since I don't plan on getting a PSP anytime soon due to lack of interest, I read some spoilers and from what I read about the story, It's pretty impressive.

As for Kingdom Hearts 3D, I am quite interested in it. I'm also wondering what new worlds they're going to put in. (Didn't the director say they were planning new worlds?)

I still love Kingdom Hearts II, despite all the flaws, I found it to be pretty fun.

However, The main problem I had with Kingdom Hearts II, was that it didn't give me the nostalgia I had when I first played Kingdom Hearts. I remember playing the first game and grinning whenever I saw parts of the game that reminded me of the original movie. Heck, I grinned like an Idiot when I saw Mickey Mouse for the first time in the game.

Unfortunately this was not quite the case with KH2. I dunno why, maybe it was the focus on the original characters and the complex storyline that didn't really keep me as giddy as when I played KH. Eh, despite this, I still had fun playing it.

I did like playing Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days. While some of the missions got incredibly tedious I did like the story, plus I had a portable game closer to the original gameplay of Kingdom Hearts.

I hated Chain of Memories though. The card system always screwed me over more times than I could count and I still can't get past the final Riku battle. And I really hated the ending to sora's story. Say what you want, but I hate endings where the characters forget everything at the end... To me it's almost as bad as the whole "it was all a dream" gimmick.

Haven't played Birth by Sleep yet. I really want to, but my lack of a PSP kinda screws everything up... unfortunately, since I don't plan on getting a PSP anytime soon due to lack of interest, I read some spoilers and from what I read about the story, It's pretty impressive.

As for Kingdom Hearts 3D, I am quite interested in it. I'm also wondering what new worlds they're going to put in. (Didn't the director say they were planning new worlds?)

Heh, I totally agree on Chain of Memories. I can't stand the card mechanics. Other than the somewhat tedious mission system, 358/2 Days was quite awesome. So far, though, I still much prefer KH2. Though I wouldn't mind trying BBS--looks quite fun.

My problem with KH2 is the convoluted plot that puts almost every character besides those that hadn't been in a previous game OOC or makes them flat. |D; Half of the game was just Disney filler, whereas in the first game and BBS the Disney worlds serve a purpose, Roxas was hyped to death only to appear in the prologue, the Organization was glossed over thanks to Pete and Maleficent steering the plot off course, the game completely ignored CoM and shoved ships in your face (at least in KH1 it was subtle), annnnnd...

Well. I hated that Yen Sid basically gave away what the Org was doing. 8/ At least in KH1/BBS/CoM/Days there was an element of mystery in the plot, but KH2...really didn't have as much. I also hated the lack of platforming/exploration in KH2. KH2 Final Mix fixes some of KH2's problems and is all around more enjoyable to play, but it still has the flaws of the regular KH2.

But keep in mind that I LOVE the original KH, and KH2 was just so different. It tried so hard to be EPIC and in the end suffered from sequelitus, IMO, much like Digimon Adventure 02 compared to the original Digimon Adventure.

But BBS was closer to KH1 in style and had the scenario writer from KH1/CoM, and I loved it.

Edited by Mega

Tried some of the Japanese version through some...let's say nautical...methods and I have to say it's pretty damn good. It uses a similar battle system to BBS, which is a huge plus. I loved the command deck.

I adore Kingdom Hearts 2. The plot twists, the nostalgia, the heart-warming moments, and much improved gameplay from the first game... I don't understand the hate. Truly, I don't. I rate it far higher than the first one even. It just feels more... complete to me. Like a true sequel should.

I also don't get the hate towards Birth By Sleep, 352/7 Days, and Coded; they flesh out the story rather effectively, and set the stage perfectly for the final conflict between Xehanort. What DOES piss me off is 3D. It's just MORE filler for the final game, when the stage has already been more than set. Personally, if it was me, the third game would start with the exam, and then go from there. Or something. I dunno, it just seems like, with the new title, they're whoring things out more than usual.

Anyhow, time for a bit of fanboyish theorizing. I don't think "Master" Xehanort is the one returning. Given that, in Birth By Sleep, Terra locked his heart away from Master Xehanort's, and how Master Xehanort's body faded into darkness (possibly becoming a nobody), AND given that Terra is still no where to be found, Master Xehanort will indeed return, but while he's in the body he possessed. Perhaps Yen Sid didn't know what happened to Terra or something, thus why he thinks it's Master Xehanort who is returning, and not the new Xehanort (as they use the same name). Also, why would Xemnas need to die for Master Xehanort to return? Sure, Ansem is his heart, but Xemnas is essentially Terra's body. Given the circumstances, Master Xehanort should have returned right after Ansem was taken down. So, it seems kinda strange to me...

As for the whole "not returning alone" bit, I'm laying the bet that Ansem the Wise's original apprentices, along with Isa and Lea, will come back. At least, that's my guess. I dunno though, things are, as always, convoluted as all fuck. Only this time, it's kinda getting old....

Edited by EXshad

It's just the opposite for me. I felt that KH2 was bogged down by a first half that literally did nothing to push the story forward. None of the Disney worlds had any true ties to the main conflict of the Organization, Maleficent was vastly OOC and extraneous and Pete, while funny, was also a distraction. Timeless River was pretty nifty, but also was a pointless world visit in the long run.

While I like some parts, such as the climax at Hollow Bastion and a few bits in the World that Never Was, I really didn't feel that many heartwarming parts of KH2. Nothing like KH1, with its struggle between best friends, Sora's character growth from an island boy to a true hero. Hell, KH2 didn't even have that same feeling between Sora, Donald, and Goofy's friendship; on the contrary, all three of them became flat characters who didn't grow at all.

I wouldn't call it complete, either, for the reasons I mentioned above: the first half of the game felt pointless, and I HATED the world visits with a passion. Were they more plot relevant? Yes, but the idea of having to go back to every single world when those worlds were flat and linear just drove me insane. Even more so when I played KH2 Final Mix because I was mostly in it for the awesome extras like the Roxas boss battle (which kicks ass, by the way).

They could have just ditched Maleficent and Pete and had the Organization more prevalent. Perhaps having them manipulate the Disney villains. I also would have liked a Squall/Laguna approach to Sora and Roxas.

I just don't see what makes KH2 so epic. Compare any of the worlds in KH2 to Hollow Bastion in the first game, for example. That map was IMPRESSIVE, and what did we get in KH2? Some dinky town. Also linear, like the other worlds. 8/

Birth by Sleep, on the other hand, has maps with exploration (so many cool things in Disney Town, for example) and the plot doesn't try to over complicate itself.

Granted, this is just my opinion, but I just don't see what makes KH2 so great.

Edited by Mega

Birth by Sleep, on the other hand, has maps with exploration (so many cool things in Disney Town, for example) and the plot doesn't try to over complicate itself.

It gets very complicated later however...

Turns out that Terra was Xenanort who became Xemnas and Ansem. So the game just gave character development to the big bad who you just killed. More on this later.

Ven loses his heart to Sora which further complicates things since there's 3 different people living inside of him and he doesn't know it. More on this again.

Finally Aqua after attempting to save Terra (who becomes Xenanort afterwords) is now trapped in the same place as Ansem. This is a key point. Ansem being discovered in the Realm of Darkness means that Aqua is going to have to go with him. But it might just make matters worst because if she finds out that her friend unwilling (in a sense) killed her friend someone is going to be pissed. Though Sora is a good enough replacement for Ven.

However there might be a chance for every single KH character has died to come back assuming so because of Aqua's discovery. You never know.

I honestly feel like BBS made things more complicated for everyone. I didn't get everything down but it gets too confusing. And those who won't ever pick up the game will go "HUH? Who's the chick and why is crazy?" by the time KH3 KH whatever is next in line comes out. I rather just have KH3 and not have more characters to pay attention to and put some in leather pants get on with it. I feel like they're going to make a giant ass pull in the end. D: I wish KH would stop cash cowing. >.>

And remind me not to post anything that's complicated in 12 in the morning.

Edited by Crow the BOOLET

While we're on overall thoughts of the series...

CoM's gameplay inhibited the player far too much. 358/2 Days was a mission mode version of KH2. As for KH2 itself, that game was one giant wad of cow spit on everything that made the first one work. Disney worlds became nothing but empty arenas with nothing to do but fight enemies. Battle became almost entirely cinematic, and the importance of magic spells was diminished. Worst of all, Nomura focuses almost entirely on his own mythos, with Disney becoming nothing but cameo fodder that has nothing to do with the story at hand. I regret shelling out $20 for this piece of shit. And let's not get into how the story itself makes me piss blood in sheer fury.

He keeps coming up with games that will supposedly "give us answers" to questions raised in previous titles, when these questions wouldn't have been raised in the first place had he not written himself up the walls of Big Ben.