Awoo.

Old school Sonic/ New school Sonic

Segamaster

Why can't we have more fans like this?

Because, to some people, minor changes in appearance form a whole new character.

From a character design standpoint, I like a mix of the two. New Sonic's lime green eyes and more slender shape, and old Sonic's short quills and cuteness. I think Unleashed and the Storybook games sort of captured that.

I like him both ways, if you really must think about it. Its "Chubby" Sonic and "Skinny" Sonic, but I like em both.

In terms of art styles, I'm way more fond of the original SoJ design than the Adventure style. I've always liked the characters' smaller, more simplistic designs. For example, the art style in the Sonic CD animations was badass - Sonic has never looked so good in manga style since. Classic Eggman is extremely fun to draw, and his blank stare cracks me up. Tails is just adorable, too. Just look at those eyes in some of the Japanese concept art. Eeeeeeee~ ...Yeah. Oh, and the SoJ style did provide for us many great pieces of artwork from the Sonic Screensaver collection. Not all of them were great, but the ones with lots of detail, they were pretty fun to look at.

My dislike for the Adventure style stems from the game that started it all. When you look at the character busts for Sonic Unleashed, they're pretty okay and all, y'know. However, at the time when Sonic Adventure came out, the whole "extreme redesign/impossible poses" gig was a complete turn-off for me. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the game though - it's one of my favorites in the series. Besides, the actual character models weren't that outrageous, and were even somewhat aesthetically appealing for the time. Yuji Uekawa's art though... err, it just left a really bad first impression on me, and until the games started using CG images for promo art, it was hard to get out of my mind. To this day, I still don't like that guy's style.

As for the gameplay styles? Old Sonic is dead, and I don't beg for a new game that's in the style of the classics. Let's not kid ourselves: new Sonic is different than old Sonic, but to me, that's not necessarily a statement of overall quality. Cases in point: the original Sonic Advance was pretty close to the Genesis games, but I found it boring anyway. Sonic Rush Adventure played nothing like the Genesis games, and I loved it. Sonic games have the potential to be really good even when they're nothing like the originals whatsoever, and it goes to show that classic style =! always the way to go. And I do adore the Genesis games, myself.

Edited by Jake

Are we talking about the character's design or the game design itself?

Either way, I like the "new-school" better. His design just looks cooler, for reasons I can't really explain (it just seems to fit him better).

Same for the games. I'm a newer fan, so I first got into Sonic because of the newer games, because of their speed. So I really don't care as much for precise platforming. I'm fine with Unleashed (and the Riders series, too) because of their speed.

Why do the discussions on this site all of a sudden suck (Sonic's grin, What size is Sonic's... etc...)... But anyways to not sound like more of an ass I guess I like both of them. However despite what many believe classic Sonic had more attitude to him, new Sonic has an attitude but meh...

Get your minds out of the gutter, what size is Sonic's shoes.

Edited by silencer226

Why do the discussions on this site all of a sudden suck (Sonic's grin, What size is Sonic's... etc...)...

Because Sonic sucks and everyone here has an opinion as to why, how he started sucking and how to fix him. Until his games improve, don't be surprised by all the crap you see 'round here.

Because Sonic sucks and everyone here has an opinion as to why, how he started sucking and how to fix him. Until his games improve, don't be surprised by all the crap you see 'round here.

And to some, how he doesn't. :P

I may have been a part of the Sonic fanbase for a while now, and I'm still not used to the weird and often unruly arguments I see lying around. From both sides.

Edited by SuperStingray

And to some, how he doesn't. :P

I may have been a part of the Sonic fanbase for a while now, and I'm still not used to the weird and often unruly arguments I see lying around. From both sides.

There are no arguments.

There are heated debates. There are intense contests. People get angry at each other and start taking sides, leading to other negative effects.

Arguments would be a welcome change.

There are no arguments.

There are heated debates. There are intense contests. People get angry at each other and start taking sides, leading to other negative effects.

Arguments would be a welcome change.

I'm just glad that neither side has ICBMs lying around because I wouldn't be surprised if they were to use them.

I'm just glad that neither side has ICBMs lying around because I wouldn't be surprised if they were to use them.

You mean like this?post-338-1237440212_thumb.jpg

I keep one around...for safe keeping, I guess.

Relax, I'm not going to launch it.

I got tonnes of stinger rockets to do that for me. :lol:

But seriously, for the topic. I like the New Sonic design better. Unlike the old-school look, which appears like a pot-bellied hedgehog who's legs can't support him, the new look speaks athletism to me. It's still unbelievable that such thin legs could propel him to the speed of sound, but it makes a bit more sense when he looks slim and athletic.

As for environments, I like them both. I love the idea of Sonic in New York City as much as one of him in Green Hill Zone. And no matter where he is, it's never realistic. Seriously a talking blue hedgehog clocking speeds of 760 mph in New York, that isn't something realistic to me at all.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

In terms of art styles, I'm way more fond of the original SoJ design than the Adventure style. I've always liked the characters' smaller, more simplistic designs. For example, the art style in the Sonic CD animations was badass - Sonic has never looked so good in manga style since. Classic Eggman is extremely fun to draw, and his blank stare cracks me up. Tails is just adorable, too. Just look at those eyes in some of the Japanese concept art. Eeeeeeee~ ...Yeah. Oh, and the SoJ style did provide for us many great pieces of artwork from the Sonic Screensaver collection. Not all of them were great, but the ones with lots of detail, they were pretty fun to look at.

My dislike for the Adventure style stems from the game that started it all. When you look at the character busts for Sonic Unleashed, they're pretty okay and all, y'know. However, at the time when Sonic Adventure came out, the whole "extreme redesign/impossible poses" gig was a complete turn-off for me. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the game though - it's one of my favorites in the series. Besides, the actual character models weren't that outrageous, and were even somewhat aesthetically appealing for the time. Yuji Uekawa's art though... err, it just left a really bad first impression on me, and until the games started using CG images for promo art, it was hard to get out of my mind. To this day, I still don't like that guy's style.

As for the gameplay styles? Old Sonic is dead, and I don't beg for a new game that's in the style of the classics. Let's not kid ourselves: new Sonic is different than old Sonic, but to me, that's not necessarily a statement of overall quality. Cases in point: the original Sonic Advance was pretty close to the Genesis games, but I found it boring anyway. Sonic Rush Adventure played nothing like the Genesis games, and I loved it. Sonic games have the potential to be really good even when they're nothing like the originals whatsoever, and it goes to show that classic style =! always the way to go. And I do adore the Genesis games, myself.

No offense to others, but this guy knows his stuff, plain and simple as that.

New Sonic is cool, but the original is much cooler than the new one. I feel like new Sonic is like "Look at me, i'm cool!", old Sonic just screams attitude. And to the guy above, it doesn't matter, it's still realistic. Sonic doesn't belong in enviroments like that, like I said before, Sonic Teams needs to get creative, and cut this realistic BS. It's getting to when everytime I play a new Sonic, I feel as if I won't have as much fun with it. Now Heroes, Heroes was cool as hell dude, I enjoyed that game so much. It's my favorite new gen Sonic game.

And the green eye's are stupid, it looks to me that they want to make Sonic into a typical stupid anime character <_<

Edited by Segamaster

Well, I can see why the topics are slow, the forum is just starting up, so everyone thinks its new even though its not.

As for those who hate Sonic's new form, Think of this, it makes more sense, he wasn't going to stay fat forever running at the speed of sound, would he?

And at least they're bringing back the Chilii dogs, I'm surprised no one has seen that. Now all we need is the finger wag and I think we're set.

And at least they're bringing back the Chilii dogs, I'm surprised no one has seen that. Now all we need is the finger wag and I think we're set.

What do you mean "bringing back"? Sonic Unleashed is the first ever canonical confirmation that Chili Dogs are Sonic's favourite food. They probably did it because it was so widely agreed on in the fan community too.

And the finger wag is in Brawl.

To be honest, although I was a part of Sonic fandom a number of years before Sonic and his cohorts ever got a redesign and therefore went into the series looking at the old character designs, I was never particularly fond of old Sonic's design. The combination of his ultra thin spaghetti limbs and chubby tummy looked odd as well as those black eyes. I had nothing against Tails', Knuckles' and Eggman's old designs though and I didn't know Amy existed back then. It's just that old Sonic didn't do it for me. He was too short too, implied through Metal Sonic's height given in it's specs to be about 2 and a half feet tall given they stood at practically the same height sprite-wise.

I adore new school Sonic design. The tiniest gripes are the obvious issues with hand and foot size and how they contrast with arm and leg thickness (Which gloves andshoes conceal. IMO giving Darkspine rings on his ankles and wrists almost seemed like a means to skate around rendering Sonic's wrists and ankles as they deviate to broad hands and feet, especially given that Sonic's legs broaden below the knees. In SA2, Sonic looked too thin model-wise. In Unleashed, he is skinny but has a noticeable bit of plumpness around the tummy area. It really surprises me that he weighs 35kg though at 3'03''. I could envision the SONIC '06 Sonic weighing that much but not other Sonic models.

The green eyes really add a lot to him as far as i'm concerned but in a lot of fairly recent renders, they seem to have a luminescent quality. For a very good example of this, watch the Sonic Unleashed opening when Sonic (As Werehog) turns to look at Eggman after Eggman boasts about Eggmanland coming into being. When his thick arm is shading his eye, his iris looks like it is glowing in the shade. It's as if they're teeming with energy with this quirk and that adds to the impression of vitality. Not those almost souless-looking black beady ones :S

NONSENSE!

notwsonic.png

He could impale someone on those ears...

Or use them as horns whilst running.

One or the other.

But nah, the credits to Night of the Werehog were pretty charming with that cut-out effect. The black eyes don't really add any soulessness, it just makes him cuter <3

While we're on the subject of old Western elements popping up in modern Sonic games, I'm glad the whole "Power Rings make Sonic go faster" thing from SatAM wound up kinda getting homaged in Unleashed(I think rings also sped Sonic up in Secret Rings, but I haven't played that one).

Also in Sonic Advance 2.

Wait he's made of paper and you still insist he has a soul? O:

Paper Mario is the most real version of Mario there is.

What do you mean "bringing back"? Sonic Unleashed is the first ever canonical confirmation that Chili Dogs are Sonic's favourite food.

Actually, it was in the Sonic Advance 3 manual. If that's considered canon.

Paper Mario is the most real version of Mario there is.

Paper Mario has no soul. He gave it to the devil- that's why he's a living piece of paper.

While we're on the subject of old Western elements popping up in modern Sonic games, I'm glad the whole "Power Rings make Sonic go faster" thing from SatAM wound up kinda getting homaged in Unleashed(I think rings also sped Sonic up in Secret Rings, but I haven't played that one).

To me, they're hardly worth making an homage to. Those things were nothing more than a blatant Deus ex Machina (and even more so in Sonic X.)

When I was watching Sonic X, I imagined the Popeye theme every time they used the rings.

New Sonic no longer matches Metal Sonic.

Well, I can see why the topics are slow, the forum is just starting up, so everyone thinks its new even though its not.

As for those who hate Sonic's new form, Think of this, it makes more sense, he wasn't going to stay fat forever running at the speed of sound, would he?

Listen, for the last time Sonic can move at HYPER SONIC SPEEDS, not just AT the speed of sound. Where are you getting this info from? Where ever it is, it's false. and I still say old school design is best, sure there are a few old school fans who disagree, but the majority of people that really likes Sonic's new design are the new Sonic fans and when i mean new i mean that came in around Sonic Adventure and up. But there's nothing wrong with that, but the cool simplistic design of Sonic is just far better in my opinion, and he look's nothing like mickey mouse so those of you that are saying that needs to go else where witht that non-sense :blink: