Awoo.

Sonic at Alton Towers thread of... HOORAY!

Badnik Mechanic

I'm interested in the poster for the coaster (lol). It's been said it featured the Sonic logo at the bottom, but even knowing WHICH logo could give us some clues to the theming of the ride.

The original, classic logo is still used frequently today on classic merchandise that's being churned out all over the UK (and maybe other countries to). That logo is accosiated with and represents the Classic era

The modern logo however is used on modern merchandise and even by Sonic Team themselves. That logo is associated with and represents the modern era.

If the poster used the Classic logo, it gives us a strong inkling that the ride will be using classic themes and classic characters. If the poster used the modern logo then we have an inkling that the ride will feature modern themes and characters. SEGA Republic in Dubai uses the modern style which suggets this will as well...but with Neddlemouse on the way as well and the obvious retro feel there, it's gets hard to say...

Spinball Whizzer is great fun lol, and it's a pinball theme, fits Sonic pretty well I see.

Also not looking into this relaunch thing yet.

In before some idiot thinks Spinball Whizzer is going to be a launched rollercoaster.

I'm kinda tired of "relaunch" being thrown around, like it's even a good idea after they've done it so many times. If your series hasn't launched yet after four or so attempts, maybe it just doesn't fly. I don't mean to say Sonic doesn't work, but we haven't had a consistent style since SA2, take something that works and stick with it. Anyways, I wouldn't take a theme park's word on the state of the series, especially when they're just repainting an existing coaster with a theme. If they're gonna get any information on PN, I think it'd come with promo materials and such, and I don't think Sega would be ready to let that kind of information out yet.

Looking at that roller coaster from the video, it'd make a lot of sense as a Robotnik/Eggman-themed ride. I know that Dubai park already got an Eggman ride, but the way that car spins around would make it perfect as an Egg Mobile mock-up. I think it'd be cool to spin around the track as "Sonic" knocks you around. Unfortunately, SEGA woulfd probably shy away from a ride in which it's implied you're the bad guy trying to "get" their mascot, and he's out to "get" you back.

As far as relaunch rumors are concerned, the franchise needs one. It won't get a good one, but it needs one. And I'm just talking about setting and tone, not gameplay. Unleashed was a great step in the right direction for that, but I'd love for Sonic to shy away from the restrictions of real-world locations and return to pure whimsy. There are fun ways to draw inspiration from real-world environments without restricting it to a "realistic" feel.

For example: I'll take Oil Ocean over Shamar's Arid Sands any day of the week.

(And I'll go out on a limb and say that a world populated by cartoony animals would help the franchise make waaaay more sense than Sonic/Amy/Tails/etc. being bizarre mutants stuck in a human world. That's bugged me since SA1. I'm fine with there being humans, but they should be the minority and they should be unique/interesting a la Eggman and Wentos. Not a new opinion, but still a valid one.)

Edited by bro-botnik
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guys, I have a disturbingly high feeling that this is indeed the relaunch of Sonic. I mean come on, now he's coming out on a rollercoaster. Pretty cool, but not a big deal, right? I mean Dubai did it already. But get this: it's a ride based around PINBALL. What was Sonic's old gameplay centered around? Pinball-esque physics! I know this may be me geeking out, but dang, this has led me to be really hyped.

Now ready for Sonic to be like how he was back in 1993-1995, where he was on everything and was officially the most awesome game character in existance. The time has come to return, Sega. Just don't screw it up. And with your other latest projects Sonic-related stuff so far (SaSASR, Unleashed) you're showing some definite promise. Don't fail me.

Couldn't the relaunch thing just apply to the actual roller coaster ride?

I think this guy is right xD

Also, as far as I know, SEGA has been "relaunching" Sonic since Heroes...

Guys, I have a disturbingly high feeling that this is indeed the relaunch of Sonic. I mean come on, now he's coming out on a rollercoaster. Pretty cool, but not a big deal, right? I mean Dubai did it already. But get this: it's a ride based around PINBALL. What was Sonic's old gameplay centered around? Pinball-esque physics! I know this may be me geeking out, but dang, this has led me to be really hyped.

Now ready for Sonic to be like how he was back in 1993-1995, where he was on everything and was officially the most awesome game character in existance. The time has come to return, Sega. Just don't screw it up. And with your other latest projects Sonic-related stuff so far (SaSASR, Unleashed) you're showing some definite promise. Don't fail me.

ApplePie4.jpg

+

0_my_photographs_sky_-_cramond_island.jpg

Edited by nUcLeArEnVoY

I think this guy is right xD

Also, as far as I know, SEGA has been "relaunching" Sonic since Heroes...

Have they? Have they ever outright come out and said that?

As the fans we've always said "This is a reboot, or this is a relaunch of the series ever since Sonic 06 was a tech demo in an xbox 360 booth and we dubbed it Sonic 360, even when Secret Rings was called Sonic Wildfire, we've said "This is the re-boot/re-launch/takes sonic back to his roots." have Sega, and I don't just mean some random joe who works there ever come out and said that it's a re-launch/reboot?

Unleashed certainly was no reboot/relaunch because at one point it was being marketed to the fans as being the true sequel to Sonic Adventure 3. Sonic 06 was from what I remember never a reboot thing, it had no need to be since it 'looked' great, but once we got the game did people on mass then say 'Sonic needs a re-boot/break."

I definately think that the guy means that both the ride and Sonic is getting a re-launch. Just read what he says, he's quite clear with his email and what he wants to communicate, I've no idea what type of dialogue there has been between sega and Alton Towers, but it would be such an easy mistake to make if Sonic is due a relaunch of somekind.

Theres definately something going on this year... just look around.

Ever since last year theres been a sudden explosion in Sonic merchandise alone, we've had the first 4 figures giant statue, the mini figures, Jazzwares figures, the Madcatz stuff, the ASR link with Banjo, theres definately something going on between Sega and Sony right now. The sudden surge of Metal Sonic related merch including planned merch. Not to mention all those prototype merch products we saw last year which didn't make it to print.

Something is definately going on, but if this is a game re-boot or just a profile re-boot, that we won't know... but if that email is right... I'd say around February 9th would give us a BIG clue.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dudes...I'm thinking Birdcon X (working title!) should be at Alton Towers; it would me immense!

And who cares if this is a franchise reboot - it definitely feels like the 3rd renaissance of Sonic the Hedgehog!

T

As the fans we've always said "This is a reboot, or this is a relaunch of the series ever since Sonic 06 was a tech demo in an xbox 360 booth and we dubbed it Sonic 360, even when Secret Rings was called Sonic Wildfire, we've said "This is the re-boot/re-launch/takes sonic back to his roots." have Sega, and I don't just mean some random joe who works there ever come out and said that it's a re-launch/reboot?

And, aren't we talking about what a "random joe" who works in a theme park is saying? you know, a few days ago some people who work for Sega told us about custom cars in ASR (wich was a lie BTW :( ), I don't see how someone who isn't directly related to SEGA nor Sonic couldn't make the same mistake...

Theres definately something going on this year... just look around.

I though it was about Sonic's 20th annyversary getting closer D: (I know is next year)

And who cares if this is a franchise reboot

+1, I just don't get why so much conmotion about the "relaunch" thing, it could be anything...

it definitely feels like the 3rd renaissance of Sonic the Hedgehog!

Can't say I'm not excited about this :D

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't help but think the Sonic fandom is the only fandom in the world with people who read into things as far as we do. It's like... a lonely, abused wife trying to think the best of her disappointing and hateful husband. ("He said he's changed for real this time!")

I mean, honestly! It's a roller coaster getting some new paint and posters. The only thing I think we can reliably take away from this is that the date it is unveiled may coincide very near to the launch of a new game. Not to say I don't want to believe it means something good for the series, of course.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Not really ultimately thrilled. Now if it was something like SPINGEAR proportions where they build it from the ground up with a theme and all of the bells and whistles, then that's something to get excited over.

Now all this sounds to me is "we'll clean this ride up and slap a popular name onto this to reel in people because we aren't meeting our financial expectations." But shouldn't it had been retitled as s SPINGEAR ride noting the similar mechanics? Honestly, it would make sense that not only Dubai should have a Robotnik ride.

Also to take into fact, if you think about it if it was a SPINGEAR ride, you would be able to view the Robotnik safety precautions video without flying to SEGA Republic. I don't think you will get a video for safety precautions with this ride, just a standee board.

Since I'm a roller coaster enthusiast, obviously this is of interest to me, but I know some things for certain, and it pains me to say it but it's just how it is...

Any retheming of the ride will be minimal. And shit.

I'm expecting each car to be a different colour, to represent the characters, and decals on them. The track is being repainted. I expect they will use existing themeing wherever possible. I HOPE they will use music and voice announcements that are horribly cheesy and clearly supposed to be the characters. I HOPE they still have the Sonic from Toyland Tours to put up somewhere, but I think he got auctioned off?

What's disappointing is that they are opening a new (like, actually new, not just repainted...) coaster this year, so this rides re branding is so not important to them.

I'm kind of ugh that they didn't retheme Rita, which is a launching coaster currently themed to racing that everyone in the world bar a few insanes agrees has a terrible theme and name, to Sonic instead. It's right next to the new coaster, too, so it wouldn't get completely overlooked and they could pull off having an entire new "land".

Tbf, Alton have been in this game for a good while now and they've earned themselves world wide reputation and escalated to the status of a resort in recent years. They know what they are doing, even if I detest some of their decisions on a personal level. Sonic the Hedgehog must thus still hold enough appeal to rebrand the first ride you come across in their park to Sonic. That, to me, is enough good news for the franchise from this.

Sonic plushies have been available at the park for some time now, in grab machines and the like, and whilst the ride currently has no merchandise it will be interesting to see if they start stocking general Sonic merchandise this year.

Most importantly of all, it's a good ride. It's one of the few ride types that both kids and adults both seem genuinely thrilled by. The only thing that stopps me riding this thing more is it's long queue, which speaks more for it's popularity with the public than my opinion alone.

Also, Dude, Semi-colon e... You better be coming to ride it on the March 20th. ;P

Edited by Arrow

March 20th? I doubt it, field trips I think, DAMN DEGREE.

But yeah, I bet the pinball thing means jack shit, it's just how people remember Sonic by.

Spinball is a great ride anyway. Better than Rita. Though Nemesis is still the best ride in the park.

ZOMG IT'S 100% OFFICIALZ YOO GUYZ, LAWNCH DATE N' EVERYFIN -

http://sonicstadium.org/news/its-official-sega-becomes-exclusive-video-game-partner-of-alton-towers

GamesPress

http://www.gamespress.com/

GamesPress also list art, logos and photo's so we should see those hit the net soon.

EDIT:

Logo -

184_13711_SONIC%20SPINBALL%20LOGO%20@%20ATR.jpg?i=1264172707

More art, looks like an old model with an arm change -

http://www.altontowers.com/

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow the logo actually looks pretty nice.

Yay!

The irony is I can remember people comparing this ride to Sonic years ago, the whole "being the ball in a pinball machine" thing. Haha.

Photo's reeased -

Sonic-Hotel.jpg

I've been there... Yes that phone really does work.

You know what this means... that guy who they all labled a troll was right!

A new themed suite will open in Alton Towers Hotel and the partnership with Sega is for 3 years - fuelling the recent speculation that the ride is set for a move within the resort in the future

A Sonic themed Hotel room! WOW!

I really wanna stay there, but by jingle it will cost a fortune!

If Alton Towers build a Tesco on site, and get various cephalods in their aquarium, examples of all the best things in the world will be united in one place.

Oh fuck, no, wait, they got rid of the dinosaur models... So, they'd need new dinosaurs too.

But then it would be.

Just in case anyone's interested,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuswa_dyV1U

and a Slightly relevent and ancient personal plug... :D

Sonic-at-Sonic-Spinball-ride.jpg

This must have been a right pain in the arse to do without Tails on-hand. I imagine he's still painting as I speak - in which case I hope the money is worth it. :P

Pretty nifty changes all-round. I've been on the ride twice before and I can't say Sonic was the first thing that popped into my head; but hey it works. Also, regarding the "relaunch", I wouldn't put too much stock into something coming out of an Alton Towers website announcement - it's quite possible we're reading too much into them just using the wrong word. Relaunching the series doesn't seem fruitful at all, too - what would the point even be when Sonic still has the safety net of kids loving him and giving him insta-sales? It's usually the series' that lose that who decide to start from scratch and attract a new audience because their old one went away.

Personally I think it's all just general marketing bollocks. Much like Needlemouse's "SPEED RETURNS!" and Sonic Heroes' "ALL NEW SONIC!" and other examples - it's just a bit of an attention grabber and doesn't necessarily guarantee any extreme change. Excited for the ride though, since I'll probably go again sometime in the next year or so.

Edited by Tombi
  • Thumbs Up 1

That's how Sonic is going to look on his 30th Anniversary - huge, fat, creepy, and reliant on hard liquor to suppress his morbid past.

Edited by nUcLeArEnVoY

Formerly known as Spinball Whizzer, the ride will be given a special makeover to ensure this very popular hedgehog feels right at home. You too can enjoy listening to his favourite tunes whilst spinning faster than the speed of sound on this fabulous family rollercoaster. Each ride experience is different, so you never know if you're going to spin or drop - and it could be in any direction!

I wonder what the favourite tunes are? Modern or old music? Will sonic fans fight over which tuns to play... certainly... Also... spin faster than the speed of sound.... COOL! 750MPH ride!

Had a look on their site and the hotel room is still not on there... grrr I really want to book it!