Awoo.

Sonic at Alton Towers thread of... HOORAY!

Badnik Mechanic

Oh... thats not what I expected it to look like at all, I thought it would have been blue with a big logo on it... I guess that these really will be a one off item if they look like that... mind you it's a nice keepsake of the day. Any special tags on it at all? Like Alton Towers logo or Sega?

Also...this just had to be done...

Just a thin rope with a cardboard tag on it saying "Certified Vintage Wash", " Aged Style Fabric For Custom Use" and "Designed In Great Britain"

Lol @ your edit of the the shirt :lol:

i wondered that, I thought you must have gone back in their later.

For anyone who wants to see the shirt I mentioned earlier AAUK Wentos has posted about it with a pic at Sonic Wrecks -

Sonic-Spinball-T-shirt.jpg

http://www.sonicwrecks.com/news/community/wentos-suitcase-alton-towers

Still waiting for the SPINGEAR shirts that say "I RODE THE MOUSTACHE".

Oh come on. With me around you totally saw that coming.

Just got back from Alton Towers and I must say, the ride was a lot better than I'd expected. It also turned out to be the most popular ride of the day :) While in the queue on our first go, there were no Sonic songs, only Bowling for Soup. Arriving at the loading platform, I got to hear "Sonic" telling me about the ride in what must have been the worst American accent ever. The ride was awesome, and so we made plans to ride it again later on in the day.

The second time, we got Sonic songs - The Station Square theme, the Sonic Unleashed Main theme, Tornado-1 theme from Unleashed, and Rooftop Run from Unleashed. At this time, it started to snow. Sonic announced that the cars were now only accepting 3 people at a time.

I did manage to get some recordings, but when you've got annoying kids around you, it's hard to get a clear recording - Link 1 Link 2

Merchandise wise, they had a Sonic poster which you can get from HMV, and the plushes you can get from GAME.

pic00154.jpgpic00152.jpgpic00138.jpg

Arriving at the loading platform, I got to hear "Sonic" telling me about the ride in what must have been the worst American accent ever.

Thats a bit odd. If this is sponsored by Sega, by didn't they just get Jason Griffith to do the voice for them like with Spingear?

TRAILER! SatAM Fisher! You love him, join the fanclub on Facebook! Favourite the Youtube Video! Prepare for the new spinoff series - Spinster Cell.

Watch trailer to see the joy of this man. I even made a topic just for him. Say stuff about his wonder, and give feedback on trailer. Took me ages XD

Roareye Black.

Urth, excuse my bad English. I meant them to be seperate things XD;

1. SatAM Fisher (is win)

2. You went missing when we were all standing inside Hex. Someone said you'd gone to get 'something to eat' at which Rory started doing his Robotnik impression and then you walked in with perfect timing. 'Come in! Come in!'. I lolled so hard.

Honorable mention also goes to the conversation on the coach about what the toilet in the Sonic room could possibly be.

Motobug flailing arms : "DEAR GO NO! NO!"

XD

They can't just "get" them to record stuff for them. Separate entity, uninvolved.

Something that I've been meaning to ask.... in this photo...

atroom-6.jpg

Look at the right just under the Knuckles plush. Those are SOS 09 art books, I've got mine in front of me and the cover is definately the same, in fact, if you look at the top of the books you can make out a blue page where the cover drops slightly (go gravity), mine does exactly the same and it rests at a blueish page too. I thought that they were a one time thing? Are Sega continuing to publish them? Or is it just a couple of copies for the room only?

Edited by Casanova

• 1 month later...

I have a few questions for those of you who went to the gift shop.

1. What kinda T-Shirts did they have?

2. What Plushies where available?

3. For the above items, do you remember prices?

Cause I'm gonna be able to get some stuff there soon, so I wanna know how much stuff I can get for cheap. Preferably a Shadow plush or a Post Sonic Adventure T-Shirt.

• 2 months later...

So guess where I've been!

Yush, I was lucky enough to spend two nights in the Sonic Room! And I loved it. It was a great little room to go for a break. Not sure what to say about it without saying awesome over and over again. The room is kinda like a homage to contemporary Sonic more than anything, the walls are covered in Sonic 4 art, theres the palm tree in the conrer (it had balloons on it when I got in there). There are some actual rings grafted to the walls which is cool, and for the first few hours I didn't realise that they were real, I thought they were just painted on.

The tables and beside tables have a glass cover, under the glass are palm tree leaves which look nice. The room is oddly relaxing too, the ceiling being painted with a cloudy sky makes you feel relaxed very quickly. But the bunk beds are not the nicest beds around, I felt like I was sleeping on a brick, and the bunk above me has a huge plank of wood missing so you constantly feel like your sinking in the middle.

The consoles are great, but the problem... the game choices! lol it really needed to have a Sega megadrive collection there... however, looking at the trophy lists on the other user accounts, some people have attempted to bring their own games. The controllers and the games come in an official Sega Laptop bag, I nearly collapsed when I saw it, I thought it was a freebie... but they wouldn't let me keep it... sigh....The bathroom is great but it feels like it needs a bit more decoration. The plushies and emeralds are great. But the bath is just... a bath. Would have been cool to include some fish badniks as decorations here. But it's a nice bathroom. And I lol'd at the golden ring for the toilet seat.

The carpet is decorated very green hill esq. Checkered tiles and green, along with the odd ring.

The doorbell noise can be a pain if you've got people coming in and out... however I deliverately waited until I could hear people outside so they would look in and go OH MY GOD! It's the sonic room!

But there was a few downsides... no more Spinball shirts. All gone, lobby claimed that they never existed... hmmm.... the secret draw is totally broken XD It now randomly opens up if you stamp in the right place or just tap it, no need to find the code! The heat. Yesterday and the day before was hot... the Sonic room gets hot VERY quickly. And it gets VERY hot. Theres no ceiling fan or desktop fans, no build in AC, just a heater.... the windows don't open so great due to health and safety, so it gets VERY hot, and this makes it hard to sleep on a night and do other... things.

But otherwise the room was fantastic.

Sonic was around the park. But I don't think he was aware that it was his 19th birthday, although he was strolling around with a young lady jumping and dancing, posing for people. He even posed with me for a photo and did a dance on my video camera. What a nice fellow. The ride is great, but it's not for the faint hearted, it's a lot more intense than I thought it would be, a lot faster than the videos give it justice for.

The grab/UFO machines... bloody hell I got lucky here. I won quite a lot 3 Amy's, 2 Tails, a Sonic and a Knuckles plush and nearly the Churchill nodding dog! Theres two types of plushies here, a small type, and a larger type... then if you win at the impossible rugby carnival game (which is impossible) theres a giant tails plush (it's around 2-3ft tall!). The larger plushies... too big and heavy to get... but the others... Oh boy! They were so easy to get! I looked insance cheering every few moments at the machines.

Merch front... theres only official licensed sega stuff for sale. No Alton Towers specially made stuff. That doesn't look like it's going to change. They had a new Alton Towers monopoly and it was very updated, it had their new rollercoaster thir13en on the board... but no sonic ride. Other than the park map, there was no alton towers products with Sonic on.... well that and the ride photo.

I would definately recommend going with friends to AT if you stay at the hotel, going with family is nice, but I don't think everyone will 'get it.' Although, I am open to people organising a trip, so we can all go on the ghost train clutching plushies and looking scared... think of the ride photos my boy! Think of the photos!

THEY HAVE AMY PLUSHIES IN THE MACHINES NOW?? :o No fair, I want an Amy :( Take it you didn't want any of the Shadow ones there or have they gotten rid of those now?

EDIT:

Oh, I see Shadow is still in there in the second video. So jealous they have Amy plushies in there now but not when we went.

Anyway, awesome videos of your stay :D

THEY HAVE AMY PLUSHIES IN THE MACHINES NOW?? :o No fair, I want an Amy :( Take it you didn't want any of the Shadow ones there or have they gotten rid of those now?

They have loads of Amy plushies now. Both hotels have them, as does the main machines by the ride. Also... and the placing here is quite epic... By the ride Rita and Thir13en, theres a machine just filled with Shadow plushies XD.

I got 3 of those Amy plushies, they were so easy to win it was a bit silly. Sadly the hotels didn't have many of the small plushies so it was much harder to win those. The shadow ones were just too heavy for the machine, along with the large Sonic plushies, the claws just don't grip them enough, you had no hope getting them.

Although, some youtube coment has caught my eye. Aparently, the voice in the Alton Towers video, is now Sonic's voice? In the Sonic Colours E3 video he's using the voice from the hotel room? Can anyone confirm that?

I'm still on holiday so I can't get videos loaded up without waiting a long time.

• 2 months later...

I have some... sad news to report....

You know the giant statue at the Sonic Spinball ride? The one that they use for PROMOTIONS! And pops up on ebay for a million pounds every now and again? (If you don't, I filmed it on my last trip,

)

Well... here is what it looks like now.

sonicgone1.jpg

sonicgone2.jpg

What happened? Did he wander off? Did some over excited Sonic fan nick him? No... According to some people over at Towers Times (An Alton Towers fansite), a person... most likely a yob... climbed onto Sonic and broke his arm off... so Sonic is currently in the studio (or as I call it, promotion panic zone) undergoing surgery to have his arm put back.

Bastards.

Edit: Also... bit of a rumour from someone who recently went to Alton, aparently Shadow the Hedgehog is going to be there for the Halloween Scarefest nights that they run... I have no idea how accurate that info is, but the person who told me is a Merlin annual pass holder so there might be some merit to it, but don't hold your breath Shadow fans.

Edited by Gnasher

*wants to see Shadow* ...Hey, when is the ride going? I really want to go and mum said we could next summer when we visit grandma. Hopefully it'll still be there?

• 2 weeks later...

@Daisoku I believe that the ride rebrand has a 3 year contract (so 1 year has nearly gone...) so it should be here until at least the end of 2012 :)

EXCELLENT. I still have plenty of time then. :D I'll take money for merch and stuff X3

Last time I was there, they had very little in terms of toot. They had tons of plushies in the ufo machines (go for the smaller ones, the larger ones are too difficult), the only unique thing is the frame for the on-ride photo.

Speaking of Alton, anyone wanna organise a community trip there? Maybe... dare I suggest it, all put it to pay for rooms at the hotel?

This is a little off-topic, but... Why do you Brits call merchandise "toot?" In the United States, we mainly use that word as a euphemism for passing gas.

This is a little off-topic, but... Why do you Brits call merchandise "toot?" In the United States, we mainly use that word as a euphemism for passing gas.

LOL. We call it merch too. Only when I was looking at some stuff one day some people was getting way too excited about some new Sonic merch and offering stupid sums of money. So I said to a fellow collector. "they're offering all that money for that thing, but if you took that on the antiques roadshow or even to a random Market seller they would look at it go quiet and then say. 'Why... This is just toot! It's only worth 50p!'"

So thats why I normally call it toot.

LOL. We call it merch too. Only when I was looking at some stuff one day some people was getting way too excited about some new Sonic merch and offering stupid sums of money. So I said to a fellow collector. "they're offering all that money for that thing, but if you took that on the antiques roadshow or even to a random Market seller they would look at it go quiet and then say. 'Why... This is just toot! It's only worth 50p!'"

So thats why I normally call it toot.

I've always thought that too. Heck, you could give a professional toy appraiser a STF Super Sonic plush, and they'd probably think it's worthless! On the other hand, there are collectors who spend hundreds of dollars on stuff that can be bought for 5 bucks at the shop down the road.

• 3 months later...

CHECK OUT THE SNOW!

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

WHOA!

So Alton was shut recently (well nearly all the rides) for Christmas, but the Hotels and the grounds are still open, and someone took all these photos of snow all over the Sonic ride. I thought they looked pretty cool.

No-one was "feeling the rush" then? XD His fingers have a bruised colour on them now. Guess Sonic got sick of having photos taken, and so he started throwing punches :lol: