Awoo.

Slipping away...

eXtaticus

With the recent releases of Unleashed and SatBK, I am beginning to lose my faith - and my patience - with Sega. I just can't actually believe that A: Sonic Team can even DARE to release such peices of shit into the gaming world (especially under the name of Sonic) and B: that they can deliver a decent new title in the series, especially after witnessing the vile puke that the last two games turned out to be.

I don't want to hate Sonic. In fact, I've tried every possible way to make the series tollerable for myself... but it just isn't working. The only remaining bond between the blue 'hog and I is the strong love I hold for the retro games (SA2 and previous), and that is a bond which is unbreakable - even if the entire series has become utter shite since the demise of the Dreamcast.

So, I'm wondering this: does anyone feel the same way, or am I just an idiotic nostalgiafag? Please don't state that the latter is true...

Edited by Extaticus

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Phos

• ovarloard

• CrownSlayers Shadow

Wait for another 2D Sonic to be announced and you might love him again. I can't force you to love Unleashed but I can't understand how you could think it's such a piece of shit, the daytime stages are fantastic.

As for me, I still love Sonic and somehow I'm more and more a fan every day. Over the last few months I've awknowledged that he is without a doubt my favourite character and that I'll stick by him until something great comes up.

Do you really hate the Advance and Rush series that much?

I don't think I'll ever stop being a fan, even if the series only gets worse from here on out. I just won't waste my time on the crap. There's always going to be something to interest you even if the new games don't, and if there isn't, you're better off cutting the ties and going your separate ways than just sitting around and raging.

Personally I'm trying to make my own Sonic game...

Sonic 06, Secret Rings and Chronicles made me lose faith... Unleashed (360 version, at least) restored it completely, and Black Knight hasn't affected it either way. It's been a while since I played a game as polished as Unleashed felt without it featuring Mario.

Eh, I only really thought Sonic 2006 was the only one that was deserving of all the hate it got. Other than that, I don't see the problem. Maybe that's just because I love platformers though.

I say you stay a fan of the series, but only play the games you liked.

I mean... if you can only be a fan of a series because of the newest game, well there's a lot of series that have no plans for another installment that people shouldn't be fans of anymore if that's the case.

I'm afraid at this point, you're better off giving up on the Blue Blur until a good game is released with nothing holding it back and great reviews all around. Leaving Sonic behind and moving on is better than sticking around being miserable.

I've got no problems. In fact, SatBK has practically restored my faith in Sonic after the disappointment that was the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed (I don't have a 360) made me wonder if he really was starting to slip as badly as people say.

Seriously, Wii Unleashed is probably the most disappointed I've ever been with a Sonic game. So Black Knight was a big fat "thank god, that was just a one-off" for me.

Edited by Mahzes

Wait for another 2D Sonic to be announced and you might love him again. I can't force you to love Unleashed but I can't understand how you could think it's such a piece of shit, the daytime stages are fantastic.

As for me, I still love Sonic and somehow I'm more and more a fan every day. Over the last few months I've awknowledged that he is without a doubt my favourite character and that I'll stick by him until something great comes up.

Do you really hate the Advance and Rush series that much?

I don't need 2D Sonic to be happy; my heart yearns for only 3 things: Sonic The Hedgehog 4, Sonic Adventure 3, and for Sega to finally release Sonic Xtreme (for they now have both the budjet and the resources - it would make an excellent WiiWare/ XBLA title).

BTW, I loved Advance, Advance 2 and Rush; it was just the blatantly awful sequels that got me down! Advance 3 was polluted and dilited by countless other to make a slow, ploddy and overall frasturating experience; there really was no need for the "partner character" system, and it just detracted from the game's potentially brilliand speed. Sonic Rush Adventure just felt too (if you'll excuse the unintentional pun) rushed; the boat sections needed either a complete overhaul or complete removal, the extra characters were unorigonal & annoying, and all extra content that Sega attempted with this dull title should divebomb into the deapths from whence they came!

I'm not asking Sega of much; just for them to cease with the pointless extra content, start focusing more on actually making good games, and stop ruining their franchise!

I doubt I ever will. It's really a matter of what people seek out of games, particularly Sonic games and frankly, I think they've started to deliver more on that (at least since Shadow and 06.)

I doubt I ever will. It's really a matter of what people seek out of games, particularly Sonic games and frankly, I think they've started to deliver more on that (at least since Shadow and 06.)

Exactly. If you like/liked Sonic for the gameplay, I can see how one might begin to slip away. However, I play Sonic games for Sonic himself, so I don't see me going anywhere anytime soon.

I, too, do not understand how Sonic Unleashed is shit. If that's your opinion, that's fine and all... but I don't get it. :mellow:

Well, I've liked all the Sonic games I've played (except Labyrinth), so nope, the love still goes strong in me. Besides, this country in general loves Sonic, so it's hard to dislike the games when you can easily find groups and competitions centered in the games. Like the Sonic Rivals tourney to be held by the computer department of my uni tomorrow. Gotta practice with Shadow :)

I don't need 2D Sonic to be happy; my heart yearns for only 3 things: Sonic The Hedgehog 4, Sonic Adventure 3, and for Sega to finally release Sonic Xtreme (for they now have both the budjet and the resources - it would make an excellent WiiWare/ XBLA title).

Sonic 4? Puleeease.... Sonic Advance is the closest you'll ever get to Sonic 4. Would the title "Sonic 4" automatically make Advance infinitely better? No not really, but the way some people act I get the feeling they would. They won't release XTreme, but I still see some form of Adventure 3 happening.

BTW, I loved Advance, Advance 2 and Rush; it was just the blatantly awful sequels that got me down! Advance 3 was polluted and dilited by countless other to make a slow, ploddy and overall frasturating experience; there really was no need for the "partner character" system, and it just detracted from the game's potentially brilliand speed. Sonic Rush Adventure just felt too (if you'll excuse the unintentional pun) rushed; the boat sections needed either a complete overhaul or complete removal, the extra characters were unorigonal & annoying, and all extra content that Sega attempted with this dull title should divebomb into the deapths from whence they came!

Advance 3 is my favourite game in the series. Best music, best story, and really fun CoOp mode. The partner character is very ignorable in one player mode, so there's really no problem there either. It was like a good mix of 1 (too slow) and 2 (too fast). Also, on Rush Adventure, I recently played every stage again. Having unlocked them all there was no need for boating sections, and I found it much better than the original Rush. Also, unoriginal characters? The Koalas aren't supposed to be mainstays, they're the random animal friends that fans have been going on about since the old Sonic days. "Too many humans and not enough animals!" Well there's your answer and you're still not happy.

As for Marine, I though she was funny, and a good potential "Blaze's Tails".

First of all, you're not idiotic and others do feel the same way, but it all still comes down to different opinions and more importantly; different ideas of what a good Sonic game truly is.

After all, as already seen from some posts in this topic; what is "ruining the franchise" for you is actually "saving" it for others! So there really isn't much point saying SEGA is doing anything "wrong" exactly, just that they're going in a new direction that some will like and some won't. Needless to say, in doing this Sonic will do and definitely already has lost a few fans and that's just the nature of change.

Don't feel like you're going against some big code of morals by leaving the fanbase though, if you do leave you could very well end up back again in a few years when another game catches your attention, and it's barely any different from how I sometimes stop watching a television show for a few series' due to a drop in quality and resume watching a few series' later when I feel the quality has returned. Absence does make the heart grow fonder after all; especially when you're really sick of stuff. :P

Edited by Tombi

If you're sick of Sega/ST's efforts, you could always give the fangaming front a chance, at least. Some of them can handle nostalgia a LOT better than modern day Sonic Team, imo.

In the end, though, it ain't my decision what others do. Just do what you feel like and you're getting somewhere already.

To be honest, I'm starting to get a little tired of Sonic. Actually, I probably would have ditched his sorry ass a long time ago if it wasn't for this place, XD. Anyways, it's not really the fact that the games are getting lousy over all, it's just I've gotten a little bored with him. Sure, the value of current games have a large influence, but it's mainly I'm a little bored with the series after all this time. I know a shit load of info, played a large majority of his video games, researched some fun 1990 history, and so forth over the years, and it's just been getting a little stale.

I don't think I'll ever move to the side where I say "I hate him", but I'm feeling that it might be soon where I stop buying his video games. I'm kinda waiting to see if his next canon game has anything interesting to offer, but at this rate, it doesn't seem so. I can already see SEGA ditching out the whole awesomeness of the daytime stages in Unleashed to try to start over, again, -_-. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt SEGA to make one gimmickless game for once, XD.

Oh well, I think the only fun thing with Sonic anymore is the roller coaster ride that goes with him, XD.

-Blur

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is more than likely to NEVER happen...and even if it did, it's not really going to do much anyway, it's only for nostalgia and nostalgia alone.

Sonic Xtreme doesn't look like the type of Sonic game I think I would ever want to play with it's distorted looking levels being a pain to the eye.

And Sonic Adventure 3? Dude, we've got atleast 4 different Sonic Adventure 3s: Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleashed (which even then was labeled Sonic Adventure 3 before the name change). A fifth "Sonic Adventure 3" is just going to have folks bitch and moan in a similar fashion as the past four titles.

I'm sorry if you feel that Sonic isn't doing anything for you nowadays, but despite whatever the fuck the gaming media says about how Sonic is ruined and should die, he's far from any of that crap. He's games sell by his name and image alone, and the only failure well known throughout his time was Sonic 06.

I don't know what else to tell you.

And Sonic Adventure 3? Dude, we've got atleast 4 different Sonic Adventure 3s: Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleashed (which even then was labeled Sonic Adventure 3 before the name change). A fifth "Sonic Adventure 3" is just going to have folks bitch and moan in a similar fashion as the past four titles.

I refuse to call any title a "Sonic Adventure 3" if it doesn't have a Chao Garden.

Amen. Unfortunately I doubt a Sonic game will have a Chao Garden ever again, which pisses me off to no end.

I refuse to call any title a "Sonic Adventure 3" if it doesn't have a Chao Garden.
As much as I'd hate to admit it CSS, he DOES have a point there. :(

As much as I'd hate to admit it CSS, he DOES have a point there. :(

Oh yeah...forgot about the chao garden...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

^ Ditto.

Also, those games aren't really Sonic Adventure 3. Yes, some of them used some elements of Adventure gameplay but none actually had Adventure gameplay from start 'til finish. There's always different gimmicks in all those games like the Werehog, guns, vehicle driving, team gameplay...all those kind of things. Because of that, it's not even Sonic Adventure 3.

I suppose I could be in the same boat as you, however I've learned to deal with the crap by not buying every game that comes out. There once was a time when I would buy every single Sonic game that came out, now I don't I've skipped Riders 2, Sonic Chronicles, Sonic Rush Adveture, both of the Rivals games as well as the Black Knight. His games may suck but I still like the character, if they could churn up another Unleashed with tighter controls, more acrobatic stunts and less werehog it'll be a guaranteed hit.

Mmmuh..Nowadays I'm not such a big fangirl of Knuxie anymore, which is pretty sad. Of course I still like my Sonic games, but I'm not as excited anymore over new Sonic games than I used to be, and I don't play them as much either. Hell I don't even care I missed out on Black Knight's release date. I haven't bought it yet and won't till atleast a month or so.

^ Ditto.

Also, those games aren't really Sonic Adventure 3. Yes, some of them used some elements of Adventure gameplay but none actually had Adventure gameplay from start 'til finish.

There's always different gimmicks in all those games like the Werehog, guns, vehicle driving, team gameplay...all those kind of things. Because of that, it's not even Sonic Adventure 3.

Yeah they were actually. Shadow the Hedgehog would be the only exception because a lot of the times you're going from point A to B to C and D only to go back to a previous point because you missed part of an objective.

Everything else still follows Sonic Adventure's point A to B layout.

A lot of those gimmicks are things that have very little impact to keep it from not being a Sonic Adventure 3.

Sonic Heroes is Sonic Adventure 3 only with team gameplay and nothing more.

Sonic 06 is a pure breed Sonic Adventure 3 and there's absolutely no argument in trying to separate them.

Sonic Unleashed...follows much more like Sonic Rush and God of War than a Sonic adventure 3, so yeah you'd have a point when it comes to that.

Sonic '06 pretty much is Sonic Adventure 3, but to save it from disgracing a respected series name they changed it to something that would piss us off even more. ;)