Awoo.

Time and Cookie failures

Aquaslash

Basically, what'll happen is I come to the forum index, and not only am I logged out, but the time setting is wayy off. Like right now I think it'll read 12:14 AM when it's 7:32 PM. Often times, the time changes when I refresh, but it's never right.

However, this all vanishes when I actually go into a topic. I'm logged in, and the time's right and everything?

Known bug?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bmn

• Aquaslash

• JaidynReiman

• Blue Blood

Top Posters In This Topic

When you first visit the forum, is the address just sonicstadium.org..., not www.sonicstadium.org...? I think the cookies are locked to the www, and so when you visit the index they don't get sent to the server - this also causes the time discrepancy which is just a case of it using the default timezone (Europe/London) since you're supposedly not logged in. All the links on the forum though go to the www version, which is why the problem seems to disappear when you click on a link.

That is an issue on our end though, so I'll try to sort that out.

Edit: I've addressed the issue by forcing all sonicstadium.org addresses to redirect to the appropriate www.sonicstadium.org address. Can you test it on your end?

Edit 2: Reverted the change; it caused some other problems. I'll fix this sometime.

When you first visit the forum, is the address just sonicstadium.org..., not www.sonicstadium.org...?

Yes, that's precisely it. I come to the forums via a bookmark and that's the address there.

Glad you're able to figure it out so quickly.

Would this be related to "get new post" and "get last post" not working correctly? I assumed it was just a problem on my machine until I realised "get last post" wasn't working.

• 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't setting the cookie domain to .sonicstadium.org fix such problems? Or does it cause other problems? By setting it to .sonicstadium.org, the cookie domain should accept sonicstadium.org and all subdomains, which would include www.sonicstadium.org, am I correct?

Again, though, I'm not sure if there's other problems that happen when this is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo yo yo.

@UH: Yes, using a global domain setting for cookies makes them accessible all over the network. However, that's not good practice as it increases the number of cookies the browser has to send, and the server has to process, for each request on all the sites at sonicstadium.org. That and it can potentially be a security risk. One of the things I'm working on right now is isolating the various sites better so that they're better at this sort of thing. You may notice some of this work in the future if it comes off, though you may not ;p

Anyway, I've resolved the issue fully I believe. To make sure, I'd clear all your cookies (or at least the ones involving sonicstadium.org) so they're all on the correct domain.