Awoo.

Sonic's Toothy Grin

Indigo Rush

I've heard several people complain about Sonic's toothy smirk, you know, the one "introduced" in Sonic Adventure? I thought it was a good addition that added to his attitude, and just a simple smile is not exactly enough to portray that. I do love the regular smile, but the toothed one is fine by me too. What do you guys think?

Also, food for thought, or an image for that matter.

manual1jpg.jpg

That came from an old manual for Sonic 2, and an advertisement for Sonic 2 GG. Several notes:

It shows that the Sonic CD opening may have been linked to the GG game, which shows some cool link between Sonic 2 and Sonic CD which I won't go into...

...and Sonic sporting that exact toothy grin many years before its "introduction."

Just something there for all the haters and nostalgiafags.

Edited by Indigo Rush

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Indigo Rush

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• SuperLink

:D You rock dude.

I love Sonic's grin, it's a big "Hi I'm Sonic, fuck you world!" kind of awesomeness. Also, have you taken a good look at Sonic's cheek there? It's almost as if... why so serious?

Sonic's grin is one of his defining traits that I really really like. It sums up his personality in a heartbeat. Cocky, self-assured, packed with attitude, and displaying his fun-loving yet ass-kicking mojo. I wouldn't change it for anything.

He's got such a beautiful smile. XD

I think Sonic's always had personality, even back then, it sure sets him apart. =D

Taking another look at that image, it appears they can't spell "Characters."

Look on the right.

If people complained about the grin, they were nitpicking.

I think it looks fine and Sonic wouldn't look as good without it, at least not with his current design.

Well....makes not real difference to me. But as long as it doesnt look like the 'Nike' Logo anymore imfine with it lol.

I've always liked that toothy grin. It gives his attitude more emphasis. But one of things I don't like is the finger wagging. I mean, it does the same thing I guess, but it just feels more condescending, cheesy and to an extent cliche than simply an attitude thing.

People actually have problems with his grin? Wow.

You'd be unpleasantly surprised at the amount of haters. It's ridiculous too, some people over-exaggerate it to say that every Sonic game post-16 bit is ruined because of it. The "shit-eating grin" some say. This is only a few though. Some people are just nostalgiafags about everything.

You'd be unpleasantly surprised at the amount of haters. It's ridiculous too, some people over-exaggerate it to say that every Sonic game post-16 bit is ruined because of it. The "shit-eating grin" some say. This is only a few though. Some people are just nostalgiafags about everything.

Oh wow, I wonder if we're thinking about the same person? :P I doubt it, but yeah. I've definitely heard shit-eating grin before...

Yeah, I can certainly understand the complaints about the gameplay and even many subjective things such as music and storyline, but at this point it feels like a lot of people are finding nitpicky ways to make the series look worse than it actually is.

And you see how it's ugly?

Explain to me why I'm not surprised?

I don't see it. At all. It looks fine to me, and many other people.

Like everyone on here has said, nitpicking.

The "shit-eating" grin? Wow. You people need to open that door to the big place called a "world".

Seriously, what are those folks going to do about it besides complain and nitpick? Well, okay yeah there's pissing on people's nerves for folks who don't know how to fight fire with water.

The grin is perfect, you don't like it? Well sorry, nothing you can do.

Oh wow, I wonder if we're thinking about the same person? :P I doubt it, but yeah. I've definitely heard shit-eating grin before...

If you're talking about the rant from this guy, then yup, we're thinking about the same person.

Whereas his facial expressions used to show attitude and a little cockiness, his features now indicate that he belongs in a hospital for retards. His empty, expressionless eyes, and his hideous grin with huge protruding teeth certainly don't help, but the worst feature is probably that they put his mouth on the SIDE of his head rather than in the middle on his 3D model. In drawings or 2D, thats fine: its always on the side you're looking at. It looks natural and normal, whereas on a 3D model it's a deformity.

HE'S a deformity.

Somebody go ahead and let him know I said that. Let's see what he's going to do besides bore me to death with his senseless rambling. B)

dotdotdot.gif

I know how you feel, brotha.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I havn't seen that before, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the phrase spread from...

What a douche, that rant makes me raaaage xD But I'm too tired to rage...

I love Sonic's smirk! He just wouldn't be Sonic without it, and like others have said it really fits his personality and shows it well.

In Unleashed, they did the right thing not centering the mouth but they went to far and it looks like Sonic is doing the Cheney talk. Where it is hen it's closed is fine, but it seems to me like it should move a bit towards the center when he's talking. Like about here:

letsgo-1.gif

Basically, the right edge of his mouth in this picture is as far right as I'd like his mouth to extend when it's open.

The problem isn't with the toothy grin itself, they just keep screwing it up. The problem with the one in the OP is that Sonic appears to have a "toof". They did it about right here:

AwesomeSonicpic.png

Looking at it now, it looks like this example is aided by perspective.

The "shit-eating" grin? Wow. You people need to open that door to the big place called a "world".

I wouldn't call it much as a "shit-eating-grin" as much as a cocky smirk of overconfidence.

Now Donkey Kong is the king of shit-eating grins, and with him being a gorilla, that term can be synonymous in both analogies. * :P

donkey-kong-figure-master-replicas-popco-thumb.jpg

* +10 points if you get the connection. You need to get out more.

HE'S a deformity.

Somebody go ahead and let him know I said that. Let's see what he's going to do besides bore me to death with his senseless rambling. B)

Don't bother. All he'll do is shoot you down and block you from replying. The guy is the DEFINITION of elitist and, therefore, isn't worth raging about in the slightest.

Those who insist on hating Sonic's new design for insignificant reasons like a frickin' GRIN are beyond help and should have the crap beat out of 'em and have their bloody corpses dragged out of this already pathetic fandom.