Awoo.

Sonic's Toothy Grin

Indigo Rush

People... are complaining about Sonic's grin?

facepalm2ly3.jpg

in fact...

faceplant065qm.jpg

It's like Sonic's body is constantly amputated, and every body part is hit with a complaint. Before you know it, people will start complaining about his eyes... eye... eyes... Eye? Eyes?

On a serious note. I have no problem with the grin. To me, it's the same cocky smile, but with teeth. That's it. More teeth.. no teeth... large fang... no fang... It shows that Sonic is still a hero with attitude, like he always been. I don't see where the "shit-eating part" steps in.

Edited by YoshiUnity

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperStingray

• Indigo Rush

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• SuperLink

It's like Sonic's body is constantly amputated, and every body part is hit with a complaint. Before you know it, people will complain about his eyes... eye... eyes... Eye? Eyes?

76.png

On a serious note. I have no problem with the grin. To me, it's the same cocky smile, but with teeth. That's it. More teeth.. no teeth... large fang... no fang... It shows that Sonic is still a hero with attitude, like he always been. I don't see where the "shit-eating part" steps in.

It has nothing to do with excrement ingestion- it's just an idiom to describe a smug grin.

Edited by SuperStingray

It has nothing to do with excrement ingestion- it's just an idiom to describe a smug grin.

I know that. I'm just saying that I do not see where it steps in.

And thanks for posting that picture... I will now need therapy and lemon juice. XD

76.png

AAAAAHHH!!! :blink:

....is it gone?

This is a stupid thing to make a topic to complain about and actually take it seriously. I will say that I'm not too keen on the side mouth animation in the CGI, that's been bothering me a lot.

The Sonic characters always look odd when their mouths are in the center of their face. Especially in SA2 and Sonic 06.

The side-of-face grin is absolutely awesome in 2D art. But I have to admit, it does look a tad bit awkward in 3D. I wouldn't say it's deal-breaking. In fact, I've grown accustomed to it and I'd hate to see it go. But still, it's kind of awkward to see him talking like that. When he's actually talking, the mouth should be in the center.

By the way, I've always thought that Sonic has a very unique look when the mouth is omitted.

If one were to look at Sonic's 3D model in Unleashed and make him turn to his side, his mouth automatically faces the camera, so I don't really see how it could come off as awkward.

That is probably my favorite CG art of Sonic.

Something interesting sets that picture apart the other CG art made for Unleashed: The perspective makes it look more like a picture of classic Sonic. His body appears to be spherical, the angle hides the length of his quills, and his body obscuring his hips also makes his legs look a bit shorter. His eyes are dilated because the render was made for use in Chun-Nan, which is overcast, and they're in the shadow of his head. The result? His eyes are less green.

Creepy picture
You don't get that problem with the way Naoto Oshima drew Sonic. He never added any depth to that eye separator. The Sonic CD appearance doesn't have that problem either:

letsgo-1.gif

And about Sonic's toothy grin:

hedgehog.JPG

Edited by Phos

You don't get that problem with the way Naoto Oshima drew Sonic. He never added any depth to that eye separator. The Sonic CD appearance doesn't have that problem either:

letsgo-1.gif

Who ever said it was a problem?

Don't bother. All he'll do is shoot you down and block you from replying. The guy is the DEFINITION of elitist and, therefore, isn't worth raging about in the slightest.

And here I was hoping to get a good laugh off of him if he came to me. Oh well, I've dealt with worse. Had a conversation with some guy on DA, and was talking about how the series state is and how it could do better. I offered some suggestions on who to follow, such as Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter and even DMC. The fool picked out Jak and Daxter like that was my only suggestion and then said "I'm not having this conversation anymore". So basically, you're being too much of a wimp to say you disagree? Hahah, whatever bud. B)

76.png

:blink:

Dude, do NOT post that anywhere else. I nearly pissed myself looking at the last two images.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

:blink:

Dude, do NOT post that anywhere else. I nearly pissed myself looking at the last two images.

From laughter or fear?

My thoughts on Sonic's grin...

I don't really care if people think he uses his smirk to eat feces with (well, I do, but you know what I mean) and I don't care if it's a silly closed smile, I don't care if it's a mischievous toothy grin that makes him look like he's going to rape a certain cream-colored bunny, as long as it gives the vibe that he has a bit of an ego and is proud of himself and displays an attitude without looking too dark.

And for the whole complaint about Sonic's mouth not being in the center or whatnot for when he talks, I have to say this...

Does it really matter that much? Sure, it may look better center-side-ish, but as long as it's not permanently in the center or on the side (what Unleashed did sadly for the side bit, and every Sonic game prior for the center) then I'm fine. I don't know about you guys, but I'd be more worried if Griffith gets the voice right over what side of the muzzle his mouth is on. Amirite?

I don't care who's Sonic's VA, whether Sonic is tall or pudgy, if Crush 40 is going to play the main theme for the next game, if Robotnik goes by his real name or alias, or whatever color is used Sonic's fucking IRISES. Dealing with such trivial matters like that are only going to distract Sonic Team even more from focusing on the games themselves.

Edited by SuperStingray

From laughter or fear?

I wasn't laughing so I guess fear. That is just some whacked out shit.

Trust me. They have worse.

Oh, I know. I've seen them...and wish I never have. That image only adds to it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

When Sonic Unleashed became the one of the first 3D games to actually put his mouth to the side of his face I thought it was fantastic. Ever since Sonic Adventure I thought it looked weird on him, especially since on the CGI parts of the games it always went to the side.

I believe that when Sonic has a blank expression, his mouth stays in the middle, and when he smiles/laughs/frowns etc by pushing one side of his mouth into it like we do, THEN the mouth moves to whatever side he pushed. Of course it's all physically impossible for his entire jaw to mouth around his skull but running at the speed of sound is also physically impossible so what're ya gonna do? :P

Sonic had his mouth on the side since Day 1 and I think if it was always put to the side since Sonic Adventure then nobody would be complaining.

I like and dislike his grin at the same time. I like the fact it suits his personality and it's just something he's known to do these days, almost as if he wouldn't be Sonic without it, it's also kinda cute. I dislike the fact it sometimes makes him look ugly, sometimes it really doesn't suit him and in a way it makes him looks slightly evil (I can't really think of the right word to use). So yeah, I have mixed feelings about his grin. I still think I prefer his smile, though.

..but the worst feature is probably that they put his mouth on the SIDE of his head rather than in the middle on his 3D model. In drawings or 2D, thats fine: its always on the side you're looking at. It looks natural and normal, whereas on a 3D model it's a deformity.

I've always thought the same thing.

Why not put Sonic's mouth in the middle, instead of the side. I really noticed this in Shadow The Hedgehog, although they are two different characters, they both speak with their mouths on the side of their faces. It makes them look weird. I'm not saying that they should make Sonic as realistic as possible, cuz' yeah, he's a fictional character, I'm just saying that it would make more sense.

But as long as it doesnt look like the 'Nike' Logo anymore imfine with it lol.
Lol, actually, I'll admit, I love that "nike" smile. Something about it makes me smile. I especially liked that Sonic Heroes render of the nike smile. That was sonic adventure style retro all the way.

However, in artwork like Sonic Adventure DX, it looks terrible.