Awoo.

Classic Chaotix vs. Modern Chaotix

Blazey Firekitty

Kinda been thinking about this for a while, but never quite got around to talking about it.

Which do you think is a better portrayal of the Chatotix? The classic portrayal where they primarily function as a supporting cast for Knuckles, or the modern one where they are detectives working on their own to solve crimes for whatever clients will hire them?

I love the modern Chaotix- they're a great group of characters who aren't thrown in at every possibility. They starred as main characters in Heroes, supporters in Heroes and have since then have had only a single story role and that was in the underplayed Rivals 2. Espio was really cool in that game- he formed a convincing relationship with a non-Chaotix member (most characters tend to talk to only Sonic, Eggman and one other character) and they're just a fun bunch all round.

Yeah new > old.

Unless you're talking about the shoes Espio wears. They need to be a different colour to his body. Dark puprle or green plz.

I agree with Blue Blood. The Chaotix have more developed personalities with the added bonus of not being shoe-horned in every single game. Sega's done a good job in using them wisely, so the new group practically wins by default. Unfortunately, I find the trio absolutely boring. The dynamic between them is so downplayed and under-utilized to me that they're just dull to watch. I honestly feel the Rogues fulfill their comedic team niche much better.

And Espio's color scheme is just fine. His shoes and skin fall within the same color family and are complimented nicely by his eyes and horn. xP

Having them as detectives works very well. But if I were to remove ONE member from the Chaotix, it would be Charmy. No doubt about it. He is the most annoying character ever.

Both sets of Chaotix are lame.

The classic Chaotix suck for having no discernible personalities and being boring while the modern Chaotix suck for having painfully grating personalities made up by the developers.

I definitely prefer the new Chaotix, for two reasons. First, Knuckles really doesn't need a supporting cast. Most of his gimmick comes from the fact that he's kind of a loner, so becoming the leader of some kind of animal super-team doesn't make a lot of sense for him. The classic Chaotix existed because he was popular, basically, and Shadow circa the mid 2000s is a good example of how that kind of thing can go awry.

Second, the new Chaotix have a pretty unique story. They haven't been developed terribly well as individuals (being sideline characters in a franchise that doesn't treat its main cast very well, after all), but as detectives, they clash wonderfully with all of the "just because" characters. It fits well with their unusual appearances, really: they're just total oddballs, and I think that works.

...I would like to see Knuckles work with the Chaotix again though; Knuckles' Chaotix's canonicity be damned. They're detectives and he's a treasure hunter, after all... seems like a match made in heaven.

I love talking about the Chaotix. I had the 32X when I was 10 because I wanted to play Knuckles in his own game, and somehow got my parents to grab it up. Little did I know the machine had nearly nothing in the way of games, but I managed to get fun out of Chaotix and Kolibri, the hummingbird shooter by the Ecco guys.

That's probably the reason I prefer the old Chaotix. For one, I actually like their game. It's clear that more could've been put into it, but it's still an interesting lost classic. I'll try to throw some logic behind my obviously biased opinion. For one, their design (okay, I'll admit Mighty is a little plain) is nice and old school. Reptiles and a bug next to these other furries. It was good to put them together here, because they stand out from the rest of the cast. Having them team with Knuckles was pretty cool too, because they formed some kind of renegade spin-off squad. This was back when Knuckles was still in his adversary phase before becoming an Sonic Hero. The new cast just seems bad compared to my initial impressions of the team. Sure they were nearly blank slates in their 32X debut, but the Heroes versions were just uninspired. Here's the part where I nerd rage. Espio caught some horrible case of "cool", which means he's now a ninja who wears too many studs on his clothing. AW YEAH A PUNK ROCK NINJA. Sega is so hardcore. Design wise, they took the green off him so there's nothing to balance his purple, and stole his awesome looking shoes off his feet. They were my second favorite shoe, next to Knuckles' with the Lego buckle on it. And did you know Espio used to have a heart shaped belly? These were all unique design choices they discarded for a cliche. Vector... agh, what did they do to Vector. Again they took the color out of him, putting green instead of yellow on green. He also lost his neck and shoulders, making him extremely awkward to stand up. He looks like he's gained sixty pounds and a hunchback since Chaotix. His old shoulders used to come a bit up like shoulder pads, which I think was an interesting look on a Sonic character. It emphasized his reptilian side more than being top heavy as all fuck. He also caught a terrible case of "cool". Hey you know what kids like? GOLD. Oh man the kids are gonna love this big fucking chain, he looks like a rap superstar! I can't stand Vector's new design, he's large and tacky. I'll say Charmy isn't too bad this second time, because his design change wasn't so jarring. Try this with other characters in the series. Like making Sonic so fast that it's the only mechanic left in the game... isn't this cool guys? Also, where did Mighty get off to? Three is a trio, but four is a gang. Hell, they're reduced to a team today, a team of Sonic Heroes.

The classic Chaotix suck for having no discernible personalities and being boring...

Aw really? Here's the impression I got from their old game. Espio's the leader of the four since Knuckles meets him first. It seems like he's meant to be the default 2nd player. Being the leader means he's a reliable guy, but his idle animation makes him look a little menacing, so maybe he's not all a good guy. Vector is the cool one, he might be the joker judging from his grin. His idle animation has him dancing to his Walkman, which he probably never stops listening to. Charmy is pretty much as I imagined him anyways, a little hyperactive. He certainly controls that way in-game. Mighty would be the most like Sonic, and actually has some background working with him in the arcade game. Maybe he's more like the veteran of the team, though I didn't consider it when I was younger. I know the Chaotix special that Archie did mentions that Sonic and Mighty have met before, which I think is so great realizing it now. I think there was more worth saving from their original designs and character outlines than they bothered with. Espio should be slick like his design indicates, and Vector shouldn't be a reckless idiot. The whole slapstick routine they're always on in Heroes is something that I can say for sure wasn't part of the original plan for them. Aw crap, I went into another rant.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

I prefer the look of the classic characters. Vector especially, but when I think more about it the new Vector fits in far better.

Also, I miss Mighty. :C

I don't really care for the characters either way (okay Espio is kinda cool). I never understood the following they had considering Chaotix was no where near the quality of Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3, or S&K. If I had to choose I'd go with the new Chaotix because they had the sense to drop the Sonic recolor Mighty and also got rid of Heavy and Bomb.

And did you know Espio used to have a heart shaped belly? These were all unique design choices they discarded for a cliche.

[nitpick]...but he still has the heart-shaped belly![/nitpick]

espio.png

Ooh! The Chaotix! I'm quite fond of those guys, and I was delighted to witness their incorporation into the Sonic Team canon back in 2003. I'll admit there was quite a bit of character re-designing that occurred for their immigration into the modern series, but I certainly don't hold that against them (Although I do like Espio's green shoes, and it would be nice if we knew how Vector is listening to music without a visible portable audio player). They're a very entertaining bunch when they're teamed together as Team Chaotix, but still manage to hold their charm even while separated. I enjoy their presence in every game that they've appeared in, and it's certainly a nice thing that Sonic Team hasn't forgotten them and still manage to give them roles in present titles.

Oh, and it'd be cool to see Heavy & Bomb make a reapperance in a spin-off game or something.

Edited by HunterTSF

I think modern Chaotix is a lot better design wise. You can't say much about their role, because no one really had a role other than being friends of Sonic/Knuckles.

Come to think of it, I'd say the entire cast looks better in the modern style than the classic one. Stylish revamp is stylish.

I think modern Chaotix is a lot better design wise. You can't say much about their role, because no one really had a role other than being friends of Sonic/Knuckles.

Come to think of it, I'd say the entire cast looks better in the modern style than the classic one. Stylish revamp is stylish.

This. Exactly what I was thinking. Their role in the old days was just player characters, but the modern versions actually have personalities and in Sonic Heroes, their conversations felt the most realistic and fun. They should be used more often imo. They could be utilised more and now the writing standard for the Sonic games have improved somewhat, they would be even better.

I like the new designs and Espio is my favorite character, ever since I played Chaotix a little kid (Purple was my favorite color at the time. Thats the whole reason I liked Espio xD Simpler times, eh?). I do,however, wish that Charmy would still be 16 instead of 6. And I'd like to see Mighty nowadays. He'd be pretty fresh, as none of the other characters are pacifists.

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wait, Mighty is a pacifist?

Wait... any of the Chaotix had any real personality other than one sentence in an instruction manual prior to their Heroes reinvention? D=

But yeah, as others have said, I'd go for new Chaotix over the old. I think the new designs suit them better, and they actually seem to stand out as something a bit different these days, what with the detective agency and all.

It's funny though, whilst he was my favourite Chaotix member as a kid, I can't say I was all that sad to see Mighty dropped. I mean, he's just a Sonic reject in terms of design anyway- Vector, Espio and Charmy have a nice balance in terms of size, design and personality. Granted, that's assuming they couldn't have just kept all four of them, but then Heroes did have the team mechanic.

Wait, Mighty is a pacifist?

Wait... any of the Chaotix had any real personality other than one sentence in an instruction manual prior to their Heroes reinvention? D=

But yeah, as others have said, I'd go for new Chaotix over the old. I think the new designs suit them better, and they actually seem to stand out as something a bit different these days, what with the detective agency and all.

It's funny though, whilst he was my favourite Chaotix member as a kid, I can't say I was all that sad to see Mighty dropped. I mean, he's just a Sonic reject in terms of design anyway- Vector, Espio and Charmy have a nice balance in terms of size, design and personality. Granted, that's assuming they couldn't have just kept all four of them, but then Heroes did have the team mechanic.

Yeah, he is. And Espio really hates/hated Robotnik, even though it was contradicted in Heroes. I don't know why but it was said in the japanese manual.. You can heck sonic retro for details..

Mighty:

The games instruction manual also fleshed out some details about his personality, such as having great strength. However, the only way he demonstrates the so called strength, is his wall-kick move, a move which was later given to Sonic in Sonic Unleashed and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, possibly in subtle reference to Mighty. It also reveals he is a pacifist, just like Tikal and Cream the Rabbit.

I think in the Archie Comics he was even stronger than Knuckles. Oh, how the rocks must've trembled!

Here's how Mighty should return :lol::

FFFFUUUEGMAN.gif

Edited by MarcelloF

I'd like to point out that Espio already had his current design in Sonic the Fighter, he just got new Irisis in Heroes. I think AM2 wanted to make him more like Kage Maru.

I really kinda went "BUH" at Vector when I first saw his new design, but... I think it grew on me. Espio works well as the melodramatic ninja-wannabe, Vector works well as the big, burly loudmouth, and Charmy's pretty inoffensive overall (when you get past his ear-piercing voice anyway).

I like the new ones. I think most of Sega's design choices have been for the better. One thing I really appreciate, though, is that Metal Sonic has remained the same for the most part, barring his weird, altered forms in Chaotix and Heroes. I don't think the other characters would have the same universal appeal nowadays without the redesigns, though.

Edited by psikeout

I much prefer the modern Chaotix for their overly quirky appearance and personalities. They are a nice fresh addition to the cast and are very unique to the series. They're just fun to have around and could easily be both bumbling goofs, badasses, or both.

[nitpick]...but he still has the heart-shaped belly![/nitpick]

So he does! This is actually new to me, I was pretty sure they took that off him. Kinda glad to see it's still there.

I'd like to point out that Espio already had his current design in Sonic the Fighter, he just got new Irisis in Heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsIOcBqOecc. Notice the farther apart eyes, the green spikes and shoes, and lack of studded black bands.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

Espio's new design is cool, vector's design sucks. Charmy is same

Edited by Jaouad

As long as we're on the subject of changes to Espio, didn't he used to be claustrophobic?

As long as we're on the subject of changes to Espio, didn't he used to be claustrophobic?

I dunno, but now he certainly does seem to worry. In the intro to their story and Grand Metropolis in Heroes, and before entering Mat Matrix in Shadow, he's all like "Not to late to change your mind?" and such when Vector and Charmy aren't even slightly phased. It's nice to see the characters not just going "ORLL RAIT LETZ DU DIS GAIZ!" at every situation. Espio can be a wimp sometimes (comparative to the other characters) and Blaze is scared of heights. Little quirks really add to a characters depth.

I never really cared about the old Chaotix, though a lot of that probably has to do with never having played a game with them until long after their introduction and not seeing much of them elsewhere, either. To be honest, they don't strike me as being all that interesting.

As for the modern Chaotix...well, I'm not one bit disappointed that Mighty has vanished, and I don't mind Heavy and Bomb disappearing either. And I never really saw them as being particularly close to Knuckles in the first place, so I don't mind that, either.

Espio's still kind of meh. I don't like this generic ninja bit; he ends up seeming more bland than badass. Charmy's...annoying...but he's supposed to be. I actually liked him in ShtH; they did a good job of making him into a goofy hyperactive kid who doesn't take anything seriously. Vector's pretty cool; I like his bulkier modern design more than his skinny original design, his personality works well for a goofy leader of a goofy group, and he's got a nice range of abilities in Heroes. I liked his Heroes voice a lot better than the one in ShtH, though. Overall it's a pretty fun group, could use some improvement, but I definitely like them better now than as they were in Chaotix.

I dunno, but now he certainly does seem to worry. In the intro to their story and Grand Metropolis in Heroes, and before entering Mat Matrix in Shadow, he's all like "Not to late to change your mind?" and such when Vector and Charmy aren't even slightly phased. It's nice to see the characters not just going "ORLL RAIT LETZ DU DIS GAIZ!" at every situation. Espio can be a wimp sometimes (comparative to the other characters) and Blaze is scared of heights. Little quirks really add to a characters depth.

A wimp? I always assumed Espio was just cautious, being a ninja and all. I do like Espio, he seems the most underdeveloped of the three.