Awoo.

Classic Chaotix vs. Modern Chaotix

Blazey Firekitty

Not a wimp, but a wimp comparative to the other characters- especially his much younger teammate.

Come to think of it, perhaps Espio's previous insecurities lead him to take up ninja training, leading to him becoming somewhat overcautious at times in an overly zealous attempt to keep his cool.

Espio's still kind of meh. I don't like this generic ninja bit; he ends up seeming more bland than badass.

I got the impression from Chaotix that Espio was had a more hot blooded (Like Jin Satome or Kamina) than just a regular ninja. His spinning move reminds me of a double lariat.

His spinning move reminds me of a double lariat.

Or a drill.^_~ I want to see Espio encouraging Charmy to pierce the heavens, now.^.^

I guess it's just hard for Espio to stand out with such chatty teammates. He's a bit more of his own character in Rivals 2, where he’s paired with the comparatively quiet Silver.

Another thing I like about the modern Chaotix is how normal they manage to be, in spite of their weird designs. Charmy’s an annoying little brat, for example, but he’s much closer to what real kids are like than most of the other young cast members. That doesn’t mean he’s better -far from it, he's often intolerable- but it lets us see that there are more ordinary people than the main cast in this world. None of the Chaotix really have any superpowers, just a few unique skills, and they actually have jobs: they manage to be smart enough to be detectives without reaching Tails’ or Eggman’s ridiculous level of intellect. I appreciate the contrast.