Awoo.

Sonic wins another Guinness World Record

Badnik Mechanic

I don't think that this has been mentioned yet... But... The new 2010 version of the Guinness World Records Gamers Edition isn't due out in the UK until the end of the month... that didn't stop my local gamestation however from selling it today. So using my power of "This is a library not a videogame shop!" I had a read of it.

And low and behold... Sonic has a lot of mentions.

Mainly it's gamers achievements such as the dude who completed Sonic 3 in just under 50 min. They take up a bulk of his index credits.

But the blue spikeball also won a few actual records.

* In the top 100(?) game series of all time... he came 15th (and they used a picture from Sonic 06 to go along with this).

* Sonic 2 won an award in the platforming game section, it went along the lines of "Fastest/best selling platforming game of all time." (something along those lines).

Sonic Team were also mentioned... but I couldn't be bothered to look them up.

(see post 8 for clarification)

I would have a scan for you... but I don't... why... The ruddy thing is £15! I'm not spending £15 on that!

Official site is here if you want a gander. But I don't think it lists anything other than the Sonic 3 record.

Edited by Casanova

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• Rusty Spy

• Kiljoy

• Nepenthe

* Sonic 2 won an award in the platforming game section, it went along the lines of "Fastest/best selling platforming game of all time." (something along those lines).

Fastest, sure, but best? Come on, am I the only one who knows S3&K is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than S2?!

SM1109%7EScrew-You-Guys-Posters.jpg

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Maybe that Sonic 2 award is specifically in reference to the Genesis console? I mean, doesn't Super Mario Bros. still hold that title in the platforming department?

Fastest, sure, but best? Come on, am I the only one who knows S3&K is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than S2?!

Sonic 2 sold far more and was more hyped when it was first released then Sonic 3 ever did.

Sonic Retro would agree with you though.

Maybe that Sonic 2 award is specifically in reference to the Genesis console? I mean, doesn't Super Mario Bros. still hold that title in the platforming department?

I dunno... could be. I wasn't talking too much in because I was in a hurry and it was lunchtime. But Sonic definately is number 15 in their top ranked series, Sonic 2 was specifically mentioned in their platform section, I can't remeber exactly what it was, but it was something along the lines of what I've mentioned.

SM1109%7EScrew-You-Guys-Posters.jpg

Yes it was much better, it just felt... pure. I know that's hard to explain but the game design was just perfect in it, S3&K first of all hardly counts as one game since you need two games to play it, and second of all though it has more stuff in it I don't think the level design is as good. More stuff does not always equal better.

I'm pretty sure that they best as in most sold copies not "best" as in better than any other. On the subject of which is better I prefer S3&K, mostly because S2 sorta felt like an extra leval and 2 player pack. On the subject of the awards, All I have to say is: Sonic deserved the awards he got.

Right I had another look at this is what I found.

In the top 50 game series of all time. Sonic came 15th... HE BEAT MARIO! (at least I didn't see him there), he was just beaten by into 15th place by Half Life (came 14th) and Resident Evil (came 13th), other big names like GTA, Metal Gear Solid came into the top 10 with I believe it was Halo taking the number 1 spot.

The Sonic 2 record is for.... "Best selling game on ANY sega console."

The Sonic Team mention is just that, it's a mention, Sonic Team did not win anything, they're mentioned in another record for an RPG that they had nothing to do with.

Edited by Casanova

I believe it was Halo taking the number 1 spot.

lolwut?

Yes it was much better, it just felt... pure. I know that's hard to explain but the game design was just perfect in it, S3&K first of all hardly counts as one game since you need two games to play it, and second of all though it has more stuff in it I don't think the level design is as good. More stuff does not always equal better.

For me, S3&K just had the better atmosphere, everything just flowed, and no level felt like just filler. Everything S2 had, this game did better. It had a better carnival level (Carnival Night), a WAY better water level (Hydrocity), a better mountain level (Marble Garden), better level gimmicks, MORE level gimmicks, better depth to the levels in how their appearance changes during the game, and how you felt like you were in this bigger world, even in the underground levels, (i.e Lava Reef), and I don't need to remind you better overall gameplay and story.

S3&K first of all hardly counts as one game since you need two games to play it

But it was what S3 was originally MEANT to be, so it very well counts.

Edited by Black Spy