Awoo.

Sonic X anime

Morphed Chaos

Who here has watched the Sonic X anime and what do you like about it? (And the Japanese version is soo much better then the 4kids version, Funimation, REDUB sonic X!)

Personally, I'd say my favorite scene if anything is the ending of episode 77 in Japanese, its also the saddest, but it was so deep and so strong...

Also, Eggman is so much different in the Japanese version its not even funny.

You need to watch it in Japanese to see how awesome it is, 4kids utterly destroyed what was such a great anime.

Edited by Morphed Chaos

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean

• Morphed Chaos

• Erazor

• Blazey Firekitty

I liked that Eggman was a comic releif character. I also liked the voice actors. That's about it.

I liked that Eggman was a comic releif character. I also liked the voice actors. That's about it.

Eggman was far more important than comic relief.

Sonic X was one of Eggman's finest performances to date. Why, you ask? Because it expanded his character, humanizing him even beyond that of his videogame portrayal. The man was certainly comical, but "comic relief" would not be an accurate description.

Aside from being the primary antagonist of most episodes, Eggman really got to shine as a hero and a genuinely good man deep down.

His almost fatherly advice to a depressed Chris really spoke volumes about his character. He referenced his own life's struggles and disappointments, and assured the boy that such things were unavoidable, that he'd just have to cope and be strong.

During the Metarax saga, during Sonic's rage-fueled freakout, it was Eggman who calmed the hapless hedgehog down and reprimanded him for his lack of self-control. He and his robots then proceeded to kick Black Narcissus to the curb in a true crowning moment of awesome.

Episode 71 can be seen as a great character study of Eggman in its entirety as well. Eggman, spying on the Metarax under the guise of their ally, covertly helps Sonic and his friends escape their attacks and takes the brunt of their assault himself. The cool ending scene, featuring Eggman enjoying a glass of wine to somber piano music as Sonic drifts away with a simple "Thank you, Dr. Eggman..." was replaced in the dub with Eggman guzzling prune juice to electric synth music as Sonic offered a cheesy "Yer not such a bad egg afterall!"

Still, this isn't about the dub. The show in its original form was very well-written, especially for Eggman. While Chris was a bore, I rather liked Eggman's new robots, who acted more like his friends than his lackeys. Because of this, Decoe, Bocoe, and Bokkun are collectively my favorite Eggman henchmen. As fun as Scratch and Grounder, Snively, etc. were, they were just characters Robotnik ordered around- But these robots shared a friendly, almost familial bond with the doctor. It was a unique angle and I loved it.

He also offered comforting, sage advice to Tails as he faced the moral dilemma of firing on Cosmo to save the universe. It was a nice look at insightful Eggman. Him helping Chris get back home was cool too.

I also love the comic this anime spawned, which practically starred Eggman, featuring him in wacky outfits, beating up wrestlers with his bare hands, fighting Chaos in a giant anime-parodying mecha "Egggantor", and even falling in love with Ella. Of course, the comics are a whole different continuity than the anime, but I feel they were a logical progression from it, and I owe the anime thanks for inspiring Archie and specifically Ian Flynn for the brilliant characterization in the subsequent comic.

Sonic X is my favorite Sonic cartoon, bar none. It actually did Eggman justice in its portrayal, and I love that about it!

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Unfortunatley I haven't had the fortune of seeing the Metarex Saga (except a few episodes). But overall Eggman was probably the best character on the show. Whether he was being evil, stupid, funny he was just awesome.

Also, didn't they cancel the comic series (which I loved [and yes Eggman was the star])?

Unfortunatley I haven't had the fortune of seeing the Metarex Saga (except a few episodes). But overall Eggman was probably the best character on the show. Whether he was being evil, stupid, funny he was just awesome.

Also, didn't they cancel the comic series (which I loved [and yes Eggman was the star])?

Sadly, yes. It only lasted 40 issues- Ian said he planned to revisit both the El Gran Gordo arc and Eggman's romantic feelings for Ella, but executive meddling cut the brilliant series down in its prime...

Sadly, yes. It only lasted 40 issues- Ian said he planned to revisit both the El Gran Gordo arc and Eggman's romantic feelings for Ella, but executive meddling cut the brilliant series down in its prime...

That's a damn shame. I better scrounge up every issue while I can then.

Having watched the first series in both English and Japanese, er... the show was essentially the same in both languages.

Aside from some cuts and changed music, 4Kids edited this anime significantly less than they did with their other properties at the time. The story remained virtually the same throughout, and the episode count and order remained completely intact.

Claiming that 4Kids destroyed Sonic X is an overexaggeration. I didn't see very much that English viewers missed out on. They did do a more edit-heavy take on the second series like editing out deaths, but that's to be expected, unfortunately.

I'm not sure how people can say that 4Kids ruined this show, when they've done a much worse job on other properties like One Piece, which deserved all the flak that it got during its run.

Somebody please enlighten me on how 4Kids absolutely massacred this show. I've seen it in both languages, so.

Edited by Jake

Having watched the first series in both English and Japanese, er... the show was essentially the same in both languages.

Aside from some cuts and changed music, 4Kids edited this anime significantly less than they did with their other properties at the time. The story remained virtually the same throughout, and the episode count and order remained completely intact.

Claiming that 4Kids destroyed Sonic X is an overexaggeration. I didn't see very much that English viewers missed out on. They did do a more edit-heavy take on the second series like editing out deaths, but that's to be expected, unfortunately.

I'm not sure how people can say that 4Kids ruined this show, when they've done a much worse job on other properties like One Piece, which deserved all the flak that it got during its run.

Somebody please enlighten me on how 4Kids absolutely massacred this show. I've seen it in both languages, so.

I don't think the English version massacred the show by any means. They changed some things I wasn't fond of, like the aforementioned scene, but I'll admit the dub had its good points- Much love to Otsuka, but I prefer Mike Pollock's style and approach to Eggman.

Some of their puns were pretty clever too. "As usual I used my brains and showed that missile the door!" And so on.

They didn't do the research sometimes too. In one of the dubbed episodes, Eggman remarks how he "created a Chaos creature just for kicks", which he never did. Nevermind the "It used to be Chaos Control" in episode one, where the original audio simply had Knuckles saying "Chaos Control", with no implication that it no longer was.

Still, from a writing standpoint, although I prefer the Japanese version, I concede the dub has some merit. It just could've been a lot better.

Edited by El Gran Gordo

Funimation? ewww.

If anyone were to redub Sonic X, ADVision gets my vote.

Aside from being "The Chris Show Starring Chris", There was another bit of Sonic X that I'm irritated at:

In the episode where Eggman steals all the satellites using that Thunderbird 2 thing, Tails was talking with Chuck about ways they could upgrade the Tornado to be able to keep up with Eggman's ship/robot thing. One of the ideas Tails has is to add an auxiliary engine to the Tornado (Just like in Sonic 2!!). Instead, they build the X Tornado.

:C

Hn~

Although I tend to claim that Sonic X is my least favorite Sonic animation (which it is), there were a lot of points that I did enjoy. The first five episodes are fantastic stuff (though they still had their weak moments), and I did import the first Japanese DVD for those episodes alone (despite my earlier rant, it's generally my policy to not buy edited anime on DVD, with the exception of the 1980 Astro Boy series - hooray for hypocrisy!).

Since I really like Jun'ichi Kanemaru, there were also small moments throughout that I found appealing... such as the time when Sonic starts laughing when he finds Bokkun pigging out on Ella's food. I don't know why, but that laugh really warmed my heart. Can't remember what episode it was from.

Also, episode 26 was actually very emotional. One of the really great episodes in the series - the use of the OFF COURSE songs was great.

But uh, yeah.

Edited by Jake

Eggman was far more important than comic relief.

Sonic X was one of Eggman's finest performances to date. Why, you ask? Because it expanded his character, humanizing him even beyond that of his videogame portrayal. The man was certainly comical, but "comic relief" would not be an accurate description.

Aside from being the primary antagonist of most episodes, Eggman really got to shine as a hero and a genuinely good man deep down.

His almost fatherly advice to a depressed Chris really spoke volumes about his character. He referenced his own life's struggles and disappointments, and assured the boy that such things were unavoidable, that he'd just have to cope and be strong.

During the Metarax saga, during Sonic's rage-fueled freakout, it was Eggman who calmed the hapless hedgehog down and reprimanded him for his lack of self-control. He and his robots then proceeded to kick Black Narcissus to the curb in a true crowning moment of awesome.

Episode 71 can be seen as a great character study of Eggman in its entirety as well. Eggman, spying on the Metarax under the guise of their ally, covertly helps Sonic and his friends escape their attacks and takes the brunt of their assault himself. The cool ending scene, featuring Eggman enjoying a glass of wine to somber piano music as Sonic drifts away with a simple "Thank you, Dr. Eggman..." was replaced in the dub with Eggman guzzling prune juice to electric synth music as Sonic offered a cheesy "Yer not such a bad egg afterall!"

Still, this isn't about the dub. The show in its original form was very well-written, especially for Eggman. While Chris was a bore, I rather liked Eggman's new robots, who acted more like his friends than his lackeys. Because of this, Decoe, Bocoe, and Bokkun are collectively my favorite Eggman henchmen. As fun as Scratch and Grounder, Snively, etc. were, they were just characters Robotnik ordered around- But these robots shared a friendly, almost familial bond with the doctor. It was a unique angle and I loved it.

He also offered comforting, sage advice to Tails as he faced the moral dilemma of firing on Cosmo to save the universe. It was a nice look at insightful Eggman. Him helping Chris get back home was cool too.

I also love the comic this anime spawned, which practically starred Eggman, featuring him in wacky outfits, beating up wrestlers with his bare hands, fighting Chaos in a giant anime-parodying mecha "Egggantor", and even falling in love with Ella. Of course, the comics are a whole different continuity than the anime, but I feel they were a logical progression from it, and I owe the anime thanks for inspiring Archie and specifically Ian Flynn for the brilliant characterization in the subsequent comic.

Sonic X is my favorite Sonic cartoon, bar none. It actually did Eggman justice in its portrayal, and I love that about it!

Nice summery of why Eggman is such a great character in the Anime.

As for what 4kids butchered? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdgSWmuHzi8, End of episode 77. In japan? It will make you cry and feel very sorry for Tails and Cosmo, while in America its "What? Oh, Cosmo's dead." Not to mention they censored some other deaths, such as Milia (I think her name was) who died, but went "Missing" in the american version. (Japanese is so much better for this as well, you see Shadow caring for someone at last.)

There is also the problem that they edit out a lot of emotion, and they completely changed episode 78, most of their big changes were in Season 2 as it is anyway, since it was meant to be more adult-like, and trust me, they utterly blew it up for what it was.

Edited by Morphed Chaos

Sonic X is just so-so/average at best IMO. The episodic plots were boring/bad and Chris hogged much of the spotlight that it could be referred as Chris X. Also, the VAs weren't very good and putting too much humans into the mix pretty much ruined it since introduces more plotholes and not enough focus on Sonic and the gang.

This is my thoughts on Sonic X that I've posted in the SU topic and still stands. The shows ups are the okay animations and a couple of VAs fit esp. Eggman's.

even though it is the worst Sonic series ever I still have to buy it because it is Sonic. I really liked Eggmans VA. And the fact that it has some new characters that have never been in the games before this series is good because we get to see more people from Sonics world.

Some of their puns were pretty clever too. "As usual I used my brains and showed that missile the door!" And so on.

I loved the "Kiss off!" line. 4Kids put that one in themselves, surprisingly.

I watch all of it in English then as much of it I could find original with Subtitles. Whilst the cutdown version was watchable through the most part I found that the final series was butured. I rememberd seing the las 2 episodes (The ones between somewhere in the middle of series 3 and those 2 were missing) and I felt so much more for Tails. The way it was all played out, the delays, the wording, everything. It all made it feel that much more realistic.

But overall, I found that this show had some quite good episodes usually followed by a couple or rubbish ones, but seing so many of the characters that we know was a nice touch. Now, Eggman, I think it's shown in this show that all he really wants to do now is just beat Sonic in a battle. He doesn't really care about world domination anymore, It's just a way to pass his time.

I'll never ever be ashamed of the fact that I love love LOVE Sonic X. It's my favourite Sonic animation and I felt it did an awesome job of doing a story in which Sonic hasn't always been on Earth and has to get used to life there. Not only that but the game adaptations were awesome (it was nice seeing Sonic get shot down to earth and seemingly die with sad music rather than a boss fight theme), and the first and last episodes of series 1 are two of my favourite episodes of any show ever.

The only downside is how childish some of the filler eps were, but I suppose they help the storyline-relevant episodes to be even more awesome seeming.

Oh, and of course, I like Chris as well too. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Sonic X is the story of Sonic and Chris' friendship, criticising it for what it is because you'd rather the story be something else is no different from the reviewers who give all modern Sonic games bad reviews because they're not like the original 2D ones. Nothing wrong with disliking the story of course, but it annoys me when people say the show is BAD as a fact because of this.

For the above reason I actually didn't like Series 2 as much because it seemed more like an ordinary game plot, but it was still good. Admittidly the majority of eps I watched in french without subtitles so I only half knew what was going on. One day I'd really like to find the JP subbed eps but alas no luck yet. I also disliked Series 2 because, as I mentioned above, episode 52, the last of series 1, is one of my favourite episodes of anything ever, and Series 2 means that it is no longer the true "final episode", when it was such a perfect one.

Personally, I'd say my favorite scene if anything is the ending of episode 77 in Japanese, its also the saddest, but it was so deep and so strong...

77? Japanese? Huh? :blink:

I like Sonic X, I hate Chris (he's way more likable in Series 2... still don't like him) and hate the X Tornado. It was such balls.

Sonic X is my favourite Sonic cartoon. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles under the same roof for the first time, AND Amy, Rouge, Cream and Shadow. Like I always say, what's not to like? Apart from Rouge's VA.

I felt it was all very soulless until (shock horror) AFTER the Adventure sagas. They were literally just cut paste adaptions, and they did indeed feel soulless. I pretty much liked the series a lot more from that point onwards, and Series 2 even more than that.

I prefer not to watch the Japanese episodes, because of the voice acting. I cannot stand to hear people speaking Japanese in normal conversations, I can only deal with it in song. Let's hope SEGA doesn't see that and make a musical. :blink:

Though I love the Japanese opening, Sonic Drive. Rather than just showing random clips of Sonic in action, it actually tells a little story of Sonic having a fight with Eggman, plus I love the song. The endings are also great, I just love Hikaru Michi.

I don't want to start a rant on how much I hate Chris, okay? Everyone hates that little brat.

Though some puns seriously made me facepalm ("Heh, I've always wanted to do shadowboxing!"), some things actually were funny. The end of the series was so saddening, but it's nice to see that Tails got over it. Gosh, the end was such a cliffhanger or something. Not only did Sonic's "Things never stay quiet around here for long!" line imply something else was going to happen, but when Rouge was standing in front of Shadow's empty capsule, she knew Eggman knew something about what happened to him; both of these show that Sonic X could have a new season. And since Chris was sent home, and Eggman told him that the chances of any travel between worlds is very slim, Chris can't come back: another reason for new episodes. Let's hope Funimation takes up this opportunity.

New episodes? It was really unpopular in Japan so I'm not sure that any new episodes would be made... I really want more to be made though.

That's actually another reason I disliked series 2. It left so many unanswered questions at the end. Episode 52 was such a perfect closure. EVERYTHING was wrapped up. Then they decided to do more and ruin that.

I also really liked the concept of series 1 on it's own because Shadow stayed dead. I have nothing against his revival in the games, but it was nice to have another very official seeming continuinity in which his sacrifice is as meaningful as it first seemed to be before Heroes was announced.

Especially loved in episode 50, when they activate the ARK, and there's that little flash of the ghosts of Shadow and Maria holding hands in the main control room. That was actually a little chilling, but very very sweet.

Edited by JezMM

I fucking hate unanswered questions... :( I'm watching series 2 at th moment and I'm near the end. It's just what I was worried about to be honest, open endedness.

I really hope a new Sonic cartoon, or a new and improved Sonic X is announced some day.

I really hope a new Sonic cartoon, or a new and improved Sonic X is announced some day.

I just want a movie. I mean, they've got the graphics (Pre-renderd cutscenes are hot), they can make a good story and they're great with music. Everything is there for one good movie.

If you think the 4Kids version of Sonic X is terrible, you won't stand the Italian version of the show. Horrible translation, terrible VAs (except Eggman's), more censored scenes and we don't even have an open ending: the last episode was never transmitted because they couldn't cut Cosmo's death. <_<

EDIT: And the most beautiful songs were changed. For example... Do you remember "Live and Learn", played during the Biohazard's fight? In Italy they replaced it with a custom, shitty music.

Edited by Talen

Ah.. too much kidy and the only episode I liked was when Shadow beats all :). I watched whole 1st Season, and 2nd, but 3rd... I just couldn't... it is too much crap (beside of course this episode I mentioned).