Awoo.

Sonic X anime

Morphed Chaos

Well believe it or not I've given this series another chance and I've downloaded the entire Japanese series with subtitles (in the past, I mostly only had watched it in Japanese/French raw format) and it's probably not exactly as bad as I initially felt it was.

There are still plenty of things that irk me about the show, Chris the Brat aside:

1) Yet more wasted potential to develop Sonic and Tails's relationship. Why is it that no media of Sonic ever truly gets close to depicting them as friends? Actually, while AoStH was the closest in doing so, it was more of a brotherly relationship than anything, and not something I've ever been interested in seeing. I'd like to see something between the two in a dynamic similar to that of Tomo and Yomi from Azumanga Daioh - Sonic being the hyperactive, teasing and competitive type, and Tails being the "straight man" of the duo, constantly getting fed up with Sonic's immaturity, but the two would look out for each other regardless, and would be rarely seen without the other. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of the only Sonic/Tails moments in the series was episode 78, in which Tails cried and screamed at Sonic how much he hated him for not rescuing Cosmo. What a kick in the balls. Tails shouldn't claim to be Sonic's best friend if they're going to act like total strangers. I'm going to make that goddamned fancomic right now

2) The X-Tornado is kinda hideous. I can't believe they ditched the Tornado 2 eight episodes in.

3) Fucking art and animation.

4) Sonic sucks. Does jack shit while every single character gets some kind of character development instead of him.

At least Sonic X is better than Sonic le Rebelle Underground.

Edited by Jake

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean

• Morphed Chaos

• Erazor

• Blazey Firekitty

Uh... well... the theme song is good. Yeah.

Other than that, I think the show was okay. It's fun to watch because it's cheesy, but if I were to look at it from a reviewer's point of view, I would say it sucks. For me, though, it's just like the games. Something that's supposed to be bad but is still pretty fun to play.

Oh Sonic X anime...what could I say about it...

I don't hate it to death, but I don't like it that much eather....I guess "okay" is a suitable word....

Still, I will complain about some things.

The first is obviously one of the biggest complains that the whole fanbas has: Chris. As much I expected seeing an original human character (It was obvious), he had a so lame personality that just made me want to punch him on the face having too much spotlight for his own sake.

Still, I had a little bit of hope at the start to the Metarex saga: Adul Chris. If he wouldn't got shrinked I'm sure he could have been a MUCH BETTER CHARACTER....Think about it, He became a great scientist and even learned Martial Arts....he would have been able to kick butt!But as a kid again, that made his martial arts completly useless leaving him only with his brain creating gadgets that appear like IN ONE FRIKING EPISODE EACH (Still I like the game references on them: The board from Riders, the sliding shoes from SA2 and the rocket shoes from that old powerup in Sonic 1), job Tails could easly get as well.

Still, a few of the new characters were actually enjoyable: Cosmo is a bit example of that. I dunno, but I reallyliked her design and character and her relationship with Tails was really cute. Sadly, 4kids butched the great and sad ending.

Eggman was good. But I don't wanna say the same everyone has said about him...so moving on...

Knuckles...oh Knucles, besides a few problems I FRIKING LOVED how he was portrayed in the anime...He was used less as a comic relief character (except in the metarex saga...which was the fall of his character for me) and was funny to see his constant disscussions with Rouge....actually, I really liked the whole amount of Knux & Rouge moments...sadly, I hated that the gullible part of Knux was ABUSED TILL NO END in this anime...seriously, Fooled by Eggy three times? gosh....

Amy was okay, Cream didn't had so much to do as always (but I found both awesome and sad when she beat the heck out of Emerl), the Chaotix were hilarious, and I gotta say I liked the design of the Metarex...I dunno why.....

Here's a tip for you: If you know spanish and you live in south america NEVER EVER CHECK OUT THE LATINOAMERICAN VERSION OF THE SHOW. Most of the VA are awful, most of the names got translated to spanish making them sound horrible (Shadow got all the badassness of his name draned when he got changed to "Sombra") and is as butched as the 4kids version but with even less good music (I can't beleve they removed Live & learn)

Also, I would have liked to see more game adaptations....but that's just me

Edited by Viku

I swear I put this somewhere here before, but it looks like I didn't.

I enjoyed Sonic X because I watched it with the same mentality as I watch Youtube Poops. That show is a mess.

Chris was annoying as all hell, the frustation of a series that could have been brilliant. I liked everything else, even his crazy mother and dumb father, but him? Man, it was a drag to see, the way he took Tails' spotlight and some of Amy's like that (the SA2 adaptation is so annoying at that point). Still if you ignore the kid, it's pretty good, and the characters are portrayed very well (I do like the kid sometimes). i loved tosee Eggman finally characterized nicelly, his three robots were funny as well.

One original character that I loved was Chris grandfather. He was pretty cool. The three robots were pretty fun as well.

Edited by redmenace

I used to watch Sonic X when I was a kid. I actually enjoyed it. The thing I hated the most about it was how they handled the game adaptions. (They just cut so many things so they can fit everything into 6 episodes for each game adaption.)

At times the animation is a mixed bag. Most of the time it's pretty well made. But other times, the character proportions are painfully obvious. This is highlighted during the SA2 saga. Of all the episodes, whey'd they have to screw the animation during that adaption?!

I remember I stopped watching during the Metarex saga. (That was really gay). I would have liked if they adapted on Sonic Heroes. I'm pretty sure they could have fit the entirety of that game into 6 episodes and maybe even expand on it.

Honestly, if they showed this anime on Cartoon Network, I'd watch it again. I've given up on cartoons because of how mindless, stupid and inferior they are nowadays to early & mid 90's stuff. Seriously, they're just so retarded. It's not only the concepts in these new shows that are abysmal, but it's also the terrible, unimaginative writing. People judge Sonic X as an anime alone. But believe me, if they showed this on CN, people would watch it.

At times the animation is a mixed bag. Most of the time it's pretty well made. But other times, the character proportions are painfully obvious. This is highlighted during the SA2 saga. Of all the episodes, whey'd they have to screw the animation during that adaption?!

Hmm, I always thought the animation was at its worst in the later episodes after the SA2 saga (except for episodes 50-52) with the worst being episode 47, and then most of the episodes from the second season. Hell, even some of the animation in scenes of the latter season were unfinished! -__-;

I like the Japanese version of Sonic X, but I cannot stand the English dub. 4Kids ruins every anime they get their hands on.

And like the OP said, my favorite moment in Sonic X is the ending to episode 77. It's just so sad...

Hmm, I always thought the animation was at its worst in the later episodes after the SA2 saga (except for episodes 50-52) with the worst being episode 47, and then most of the episodes from the second season. Hell, even some of the animation in scenes of the latter season were unfinished! -__-;

Well, I haven't watched this show in a very long time so I'm not too fond of which ep's had bad animation. But I do have the SA2 saga on DVD, so that's why I mentioned it. Nitpicking and Chris aside. I really believe it would be an excellent show for kids of this generation. It raises a lot of good points about life and morals for them. There's a lot of goofy stuff here and there, but the morals are there. Better than all this new cartoonish shit they're exposing to kids.

Edited by lounge

Oh Sonic X anime...what could I say about it...

I don't hate it to death, but I don't like it that much eather....I guess "okay" is a suitable word....

Still, I will complain about some things.

The first is obviously one of the biggest complains that the whole fanbas has: Chris. As much I expected seeing an original human character (It was obvious), he had a so lame personality that just made me want to punch him on the face having too much spotlight for his own sake.

Still, I had a little bit of hope at the start to the Metarex saga: Adul Chris. If he wouldn't got shrinked I'm sure he could have been a MUCH BETTER CHARACTER....Think about it, He became a great scientist and even learned Martial Arts....he would have been able to kick butt!But as a kid again, that made his martial arts completly useless leaving him only with his brain creating gadgets that appear like IN ONE FRIKING EPISODE EACH (Still I like the game references on them: The board from Riders, the sliding shoes from SA2 and the rocket shoes from that old powerup in Sonic 1), job Tails could easly get as well.

Still, a few of the new characters were actually enjoyable: Cosmo is a bit example of that. I dunno, but I reallyliked her design and character and her relationship with Tails was really cute. Sadly, 4kids butched the great and sad ending.

Eggman was good. But I don't wanna say the same everyone has said about him...so moving on...

Knuckles...oh Knucles, besides a few problems I FRIKING LOVED how he was portrayed in the anime...He was used less as a comic relief character (except in the metarex saga...which was the fall of his character for me) and was funny to see his constant disscussions with Rouge....actually, I really liked the whole amount of Knux & Rouge moments...sadly, I hated that the gullible part of Knux was ABUSED TILL NO END in this anime...seriously, Fooled by Eggy three times? gosh....

Amy was okay, Cream didn't had so much to do as always (but I found both awesome and sad when she beat the heck out of Emerl), the Chaotix were hilarious, and I gotta say I liked the design of the Metarex...I dunno why.....

Here's a tip for you: If you know spanish and you live in south america NEVER EVER CHECK OUT THE LATINOAMERICAN VERSION OF THE SHOW. Most of the VA are awful, most of the names got translated to spanish making them sound horrible (Shadow got all the badassness of his name draned when he got changed to "Sombra") and is as butched as the 4kids version but with even less good music (I can't beleve they removed Live & learn)

Also, I would have liked to see more game adaptations....but that's just me

Come on now, the voices weren´t horrible, in fact, I think the voices were better than the English Dub (Shadow´s voice sucked though). I still got some sentimental value from the series when it was aired, it was my first time seeing Sonic in T.V. back then...when I owned SA2 Battle and heroes as my first Sonic games. But I gotta agree, the names changed into Spanish were a bit of a tick-off...but I didn´t get all butthurt over it =p.

I enjoyed watching Sonic X. I like the fact the characters are more based on the computer games than in other cartoons and it just seems to work well. It is my favourite Sonic cartoon so far.

I would like to see a Sonic cartoon series in the style of the Sonic CD opening and closing movies. That would be awesome.

I personally love this show. It manages to have a really nice plot without being all like a Soap Operah. And it's really funny too. x3 ("NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~~~!!!! NOT THE POOL!!!" lol)

*Youtubes the Engrish*

OH MY GOD, LMAO!!!

That's so hilarious in a cute way. x3 (made me laugh tears xDDD)

"SHEET!"

"DAMN!"

"It's party time!"

"No waaaaaay!"

"Sank OO"

"Hey guys! Are you alright?"

"No Problem!"

"Oh Gawsh"

"Good night. Have sweet dreams."

"thats awll"

lol

and others I can't remembeer lol.

it's funny when he swears in Engrish. xDDD

EDIT: now that I think about it, I can't really imagine Sonic speaking much of any other language besides Engrish... he just seems like an Engrishhog. x3

The Engrish suits him very well. <3

Besides, for whatever reason, he's not very popular in Japan... not sure why. Besides, Engrish is win. x3

Edited by Blue Streak

^ Yeah, Engrishhog sounds better than Jason, IMO. Maybe they should have the Sonic's Jap VA do the English dub :lol: .

And get criticism for giving Sonic a heavy, hard-to-understand accent?

Sonic fans aren't supposed to care about the Japanese voices, what

Edited by Jake

but the accent is cute! >=O

Like. Seriously. x3

And hey, maybe we can bring the Knuckles having a jamacian accent back on the table? :P

EDIT: and I'm I the only one who noticed Shadow said "Adios" before teleporting away at the end of episode 34? xDD

Edited by Blue Streak

Yes i agree that eggman was awesome...

But i think the rest of the cartoon really sucked, the quality of drawings and animation were so bad. None of the sonic music we know has been used in the cartoon (something like sonic the animated movie which was awesome).

And no episode really did something specteculair or something that made my eyes and mouth go like wow. Meh it was poor, really poor

And,, chris,,, nah don't let me start this again lol :P

Edited by Jaouad

This reminds me. Thos who can, see the japanese version of episode 39 ENDING song. No, it's not the same as the other 20 or more episodes before it. Your mind will be blown or your brain will explode, your pick.