Awoo.

Earthquakes

Thymine

That should really warrant its own topic, really.

I'm fucking worried. I have a friend who lives there in Chile. I hope he's alright.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vgmaster

• Patticus

• Light

• Angelidia

*Walks out into her front lawn, sets up her chair and wait patiently* Well... With all those earthquakes going around, I keep hearing in the news how we're all waiting for the Big One in California to come around. Last time I felt a magnitude greater to what I felt last year was the 1994 Northridge Earthquake.

My friend Iris was fortunate that she was in New Orleans with her family when Chile was hit. I'm just glad she's safe and now is in her hometown miles away from the capital.

@Columind: I hope your friend not near the major damaged cities where it was hit the most. I know how that feels but then I found out she was out of the country before the incident. -_-

There was an earthquake when we lived in The Philippines and it was WEIRD because it woke me up, I come from England as we've never had one (we get minor ones I think but nothing hugely noticable) and I was so scared so I ran down the hallway and jumped into my parents bed so we could all be scared together!

What's really interesting about them is that there are different types of sequences. First there's the foreshock-mainshock-aftershock sequence, then others such as swarms, storms, aftershocks of afershocks, bursts of aftershocks, pairings of mainshocks, and earthquake multiplets. I'm pretty sure a 10.5 earthquake may happen any time, probably in a remote area.

• 4 weeks later...

China hit by magnitude 6.9 earthquake

A powerful earthquake has killed at least 400 people and injured more than 10,000 in a remote part of western China.

A series of tremors and 18 aftershocks brought down brick and wooden houses in Yushu, Qinghai province, on the rugged Tibetan Plateau.

Some schools and part of a government building caved in, leaving people trapped inside.

Paramilitary police were forced to use shovels to dig through the rubble in a township where most of the homes had been flattened, footage on state television showed.

Officials said excavators were not available and with most of the roads leading to the nearest airport damaged, rescuers were also struggling to reach the area.

It is feared many people could be without shelter in the near-freezing temperatures.

Another day, another earthquake... The earth sure is active this year, isn't it? I doubt that there's any specific reason for that though, pure coincidence.

So, that whole "2012 marks the end of the world" prediction thing. These predictions came from the area that is now Mexico, and they didn't have the most technologically advanced society back then, nor much knowledge about just how huge the world really is.

If Mexico gets the mother of all earthquakes at the end of 2012, I will not be remotely surprised, especially if the last six months is any indication. In fact I'd plan ahead for it right now if it were me.

2012 was only calculated to be the end of one era and the beginning of another, nowhere does it say there will be lots of disasters or the world ending.

2012 was only calculated to be the end of one era and the beginning of another, nowhere does it say there will be lots of disasters or the world ending.

Exactly I don't think will ever know when the world will end though we can detect meteors. I don't know sometimes its not something I want to think about all the time.

The world will end if we engage in a nuclear holocaust and blanket the planet in thermonuclear fire, or, if we do not destroy it, it could be wiped clean of life by nearby supernovae candidates going off, or a gamma ray burst that just so happens to be facing us and is within 1 kiloparsec of us could annihilate us without a word of warning. In any event, in 5 billion years, Earth will be destroyed by our sun entering its Red Giant phase anyway.

2012 will be a year just like any other. There will be earthquakes, volcanism, hurricanes and myriad other natural events. But the world will not end (unless we're fried by an unexpected gamma ray burst).

So far I heard that Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico are still having earthquakes and aftershocks after it got hit by a 7.2 on Easter Sunday. I felt it all the way to here.

Later: It seem like the governments of Mexico are not showing us what's really going on in rural areas where there are more damages than the metropolis areas. I have a friend who's family are living in a rural area outside of Mexicali. I hate it when the media are hiding from us.

Edited by animegirl