Awoo.

Fans Overreact to SEGA Employee's Statement. Again

KittyNakajima

Ahahahaha Screw you,Sega!

If you didnt have the old school fanbase,you never would have had the chance at making video games period.We kept you a float in the 90s and you screwed yourselves by releasing the DC before PS2. Project Needlemouse is being created because the old school fans have spoken and we want something without a light spin dash upgrade for a change.

I hate it when people point this out as if this is an actual justification for any assholish behavior they may have done in the past. "My parents supported you back then, therefore I deserve to shit on you and other fans until you cater to my unreasonably specific and ultimately selfish desires!" Seriously, that level of entitlement right there is absolutely sickening and is something that more officials from higher levels should call out more often. Sega is not so indebted to us as to outright become our bitch. If anything, the genre roulette they've done to piss some of these same people off-- the genre roulette that's been raking in dough, no less-- is more than enough testament to that. It's very apparent that Sega can nearly do anything they want with the franchise and still be relatively well off. I'd be right humbled by that if I were you. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Fans, both classic and new, have a tendancy to complain. After the recent trivia event that resulted in Sonic being the only playable character, the new fans complained straight away about Shadow, Silver etc not being playable. Classic fans rejoiced, but have always complained about the direction the games have been heading in.

It's evident by reviews, although based on opinion, that the Sonic series has gone downhill over the last few years. We've had great games like the Advance and Rush series that got overall great scores, but it's the main console games that let the series down for the majority of fans. Shadow had guns, Sonic 06 was a failure due to many problems, Sonic using a sword, and Unleashed would have been great, but the Werehog sections were, while well designed, slow paced for a game based on speed. Obviously, it's all opinion based, as kids generally enjoy the new games, regardless of glitches and certain gameplay elements.

SEGA know that, while the series is making money, the games aren't being as well received as they were expecting. Unleashed's Sonic sections were highly praised and were shown as a step in the right direction. An even bigger step is with Needlemouse. They know the 2D gameplay is what many fans want from a Sonic game, and it's a formula they know works very well. If Needlemouse turns out to be the game classic fans have wanted for years, a problem will then occur. Classic fans will want a new game designed in the same way, while fans of the 3D games will want a new 3D installment featuring their favourite characters. Also, the game will attract a new audience of gamers who like the new Sonic game. SEGA will then have to make a choice between making a game for classic and new fans, or make one for the fans of the 3D era. Obviously it will all come down to money, and if Needlemouse turns out to be an amazing game that sells extremely well, they won't give the 3D games another thought.

I'm 23 and have played every Sonic game available, both old and new. The classics are what I grew up with and so hold a special place in my heart, but I've also got some great memories from the 3D games. Playing Sonic Adventure on Christmas Day without a memory card, rushing through my paper round so that I could buy Sonic Adventure 2, and ordering Sonic Heroes off of ebay (jap version) for 50 quid because I couldn't wait for the English release. No matter how much the games have changed, I've enjoyed them all to some degree.

Elitist fans either need to enjoy the games for what they are, or find themselves another franchise.

I personally don't understand why everyone has to bitch and moan about everything really. No seriously, everything.It's gotten so ridiculous I could say Project Needlemouse will have the jump sound effect from Sonic Adventure and suddenly the fanbase would rise to war and chaos and have a huge break down and personal attacking other people, all for such a tiny issue to be blown into some huge flaw by some and coming of god on the other.

The fanbase can be a great one at times and an ugly one at times. When it's great, it's really fun to intelligently talk. Want to know what's not fun? Arguments that go round and round because the truth is there is no right answer, there's only opinions in many of these battles.

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper

First off why wasn't I offered any popcorn? I only had rice and beans last night and that'd've been really nice.

redmenace you've just become my person of the day, as I've reiterated over at the Retro forums the post was a generalism about fans in general and as you pointed out it did make a distinction between "Classic" and "Elitist" peeps are just selectively reading in places. I've actually locked the comments on the blog now, we hit 50+ and the point was made - most agree that the fanbase could do more to be welcoming. Again as I've said on Retro just before I hit SSMB we all want to grow the fanbase and make it stronger so how the heck are people actively chasing off the new generation going to help in any way at all!

Here's my last summary before I locked the comments:

Right last comment on this blog, as usual some are reading things into it that aren’t actually there.

Needlemouse is certainly being aimed more towards those classic fans, that does not mean that older fans have the right to shout down younger fans for expressing an opinion.

So just because I’ve said that Sonic’s generally aimed at the younger fan market and that older fans should give the younger ones a break and that the more modern fans are entitled to a say about Sonic as much as they are that doesn’t suddenly mean “Oh Needlemouse is gonna be rubbish”.

Is this blog even labeled up as Project Needlemouse? No. Even if Needlemouse didn’t exist the problem would still be there.

What it means is that some fans should be more welcoming and open to the younger fans. It means that those of you who seem to think that because someone likes a game that you don’t like they are wrong and not entitled to a say on ANYTHING should get a grip.

Sonic has for 18 years been involved in various different types of game, there are fans who like those various types of game. Just like there are AOSTH fans, SatAM fans, Underground fans and Sonic X fans. Now those cartoons for instance have very devoted audiences, for many older fans Sonic X is some sort of abomination and 4kids should be burned at the stake. Despite the fact that Sonic X is obviously not remotely for the older fans, there are many out there who as soon as someone expresses a fondness for it will be incredibly vicious towards them and decry them for their appreciation of it. Its saddening to see.

A Sonic fan is a fan who loves Sonic, and you can take any aspect of Sonic you like and be a fan of the franchise and love it just as much as anyone else does. I’m not gonna start prioritising Sonic fans based upon who finished Sonic 1 first and neither should you. Likewise I’m not going to prioritise you all based upon who bought Sonic Unleashed first. What the above post is asking for is tollerance and understanding between you all, the Sonic fanbase can be absolutely fantastic but on occasions it can be very hostile.

That’s litterally all I’m asking off you guys, tollerance and understanding and a bit of respect to your younger bretherin. Make the next generation feel welcome – or in a couple of years you’ll be wondering where they are.

Now get out of here before I break out the guitar and start singing Kumbaya at you all.

-AAUK-

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well, this is amusing, but not unexpected. But, yeah, both sides have their elitists. It just gets plain silly, and facepalm worthy.

What have we learned today, children? Be civil and welcoming to newer fans, and respect the opinions of others even if you don't agree with them. Also, for the love of God, don't become part of the Fan Dumb.

KIDS ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!!!1!

BUT I AM AWESOME BECAUSE WHEN I WAS A KID I LOVED TO PLAY SONIC 1 IN MY GAME GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

soniclulz-1.png

lol Sonic fans...

• Thumbs Up 2

^This.

It's sad really. I tend to lurk around and laugh when shit like this happens because those types who whine are probably the type who have probably outgrown Sonic and are simply "lingering" within the community longer than they should be. It's ridiculous. People who might as well be as old as me - mid to late 20's - telling other folks that they don't know what the hell makes a game, the series was better this way, etc. is a waste of time and energy. I'd personally suggest getting into another hobby, franchise, etc. and let everyone else have their fun with the hedgehog and his friends. :D

Disheartening when I've seen examples of the younger generation loving Sonic just as much as some of us older fans do. I've made posts about seeing kids playing ports of Sonic 1 on the GBA or playing Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, to carrying Sonic and Amy plushies, to even walking up to me - being the geek that I a Sonic hoodie - and saying they play Sonic because he's fun. FUN. Which is what whining of the variety of those brand of elitists puts a damper on, especially in the mist of an upcoming game. I'd dare say it's the dreaded Sonic cycle all over again.

So we're meant to abandon our hobby because we're old? and we're not allowed to complain about decline of franchise because some kid somewhere enjoyed Sonic Genesis on GBA?

I hope you see the irony in being elitist whilst calling people elitist. Pot calling the kettle black, etc.

KIDS ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW ANYTHING!!!1!

BUT I AM AWESOME BECAUSE WHEN I WAS A KID I LOVED TO PLAY SONIC 1 IN MY GAME GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Point being? that doesn't make modern sonic any less shit.
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's less to do with complaining about the games (everyone has different tastes after all), and more about complaining about people liking or disliking something or have this overinflated idea that their ideal way of Sonic is the only true Sonic and that everyone else sucks, and feel like they are owed something. They aren't. I'm not. Nobody is "entitled" to anything. It doesn't unite the fanbase at all.

They're not our bitches or anything. All we can do is like or not like it. And hopefully lighten up.

Edited by Semi-colon e

It's less to do with complaining about the games (everyone has different tastes after all), and more about complaining about people liking or disliking something or have this overinflated idea that their ideal way of Sonic is the only true Sonic and that everyone else sucks, and feel like they are owed something. They aren't. I'm not. Nobody is "entitled" to anything. It doesn't unite the fanbase at all.

but there is only one true sonic: s1 to s3&k

Forgive me for coming into this late and naive, but what does the title of this thread have to do with AAUK's blog post, and why fish for more drama by titling it so? :\

Also remz you are lulz but plz stop trolling 'cuz it's not fair to regular members who can't troll. ... I mean, stop because it's bad. Yeah. >_>

but there is only one true sonic: s1 to s3&k

"Wait.. Is the Sonic starting with Sonic Adventure a different character?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

So we're meant to abandon our hobby because we're old? and we're not allowed to complain about decline of franchise because some kid somewhere enjoyed Sonic Genesis on GBA?

I hope you see the irony in being elitist whilst calling people elitist. Pot calling the kettle black, etc.

Now that's not what I meant. D: That's how I personally feel after having tangled with a few of these "elitists" as a member of the fandom. Not just this random outburst but the same monotone whining that seems to come with the advent of any new Sonic outting or even Sonic news in general. Years of this. I'm WARY of it, and I merely said it out of frustration. Does that make me elitist for wondering why the same folks keep coming back for more despite their gripes with the franchise? Maybe so, but moreso out of wishing people could exercise more maturity as opposed to this incessant overreaching and reading things out of context.

@ Flyboy - the TSSZ Trolls Sonic Community Again title wasn't me - I originally had it as "Fans Overreact to SEGA Employee's Statement. Again". It had to be one of you guys because up until the last two hours I've been asleep.

Edited by KittyNakajima

Point being? that doesn't make modern sonic any less shit.

Never wanted to said that... I'm just saying some comments in that article are really dumb funny weird, there are better (and/or proper) ways to express your disliking for modern Sonic than saying "kids are stupid"

Then again, it was a really dumb joke from my part, I apologize if you got offended somewhat, the last thing I want is MOAR DRAMA in this site :(

"Wait.. Is the Sonic starting with Sonic Adventure a different character?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Yeah, Sonic was killed by an evil clone who took over his place and is destroying the series, some people should have already knew that since the Sonic we know and love didn't have thoose evil green eyes (though IIRC he did when he turned super/hyper)...

In needlemouse Sonic rises from the dead and has to kill his green eyed evil clone (BTW his name is Jason... coincidence? DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN).

Edited by imarafan

I for one find it hard to believe that Sonic games are being aimed at kids aged below 12 when a lot of releases have been getting 12+ age ratings, therefore effectively making it illegal for this age range to actually be playing these games. Others have been getting 7+'s. It's not as bad as 12+ but it still puts a hampering on young kids playing Sonic games.

As for AAUK's stance on the elitism, it's totally spot on. You don't wanna look at the fans as a whole source of classic elitists though, try looking towards a good few 'professional' reviewers.

Edited by Verte
  • Thumbs Up 1

@ Flyboy - the TSSZ Trolls Sonic Community Again title wasn't me - I originally had it as "Fans Overreact to SEGA Employee's Statement. Again". It had to be one of you guys because up until the last two hours I've been asleep.

I'm sure it was meant to be a joke but I'm changing it back because the last thing we want is forum wars being brought into this again. was it you remz i am totally gonna spank you >_>

I for one find it hard to believe that Sonic games are being aimed at kids aged below 12 when a lot of releases have been getting 12+ age ratings, therefore effectively making it illegal for this age range to actually be playing these games. Others have been getting 7+'s. It's not as bad as 12+ but it still puts a hampering on young kids playing Sonic games.
You have to admit though, with games like Sonic Rush Adventure (with Captain Whiskers and his tickles) and Unleashed's/Secret Rings'/Black Knight's cartoon esque narratives they've been aiming for a younger audience.

Not that this is a bad thing of course: if anything this focus is superb compared to 06's "epic" plot.

As for AAUK's stance on the elitism, it's totally spot on. You don't wanna look at the fans as a whole source of classic elitists though, try looking towards a good few 'professional' reviewers.

Wasn't the only Sonic game with a 12+ rating Shadow the Hedgehog? Or did Unleashed have one, too? Still, regardless of age ratings, hte games are still more for kids. The people who rate the games just have no idea:D

imarafan: Thanks for clearing things up!B)

Wasn't the only Sonic game with a 12+ rating Shadow the Hedgehog? Or did Unleashed have one, too? Still, regardless of age ratings, hte games are still more for kids. The people who rate the games just have no idea:D

imarafan: Thanks for clearing things up!B)

Sonic Rush Adventure had a 12+ rating too, probably due to Marine. Unleashed was 7+

Yeah, "the series went downhill after Sonic 1 and I wonder if even that one was good".

Unleashed was 7+