Awoo.

Fans Overreact to SEGA Employee's Statement. Again

KittyNakajima

Also Black Knight had a 12+ rating too and that was a Storybook Series game :lol:

It's offensive in the UK because it means to have sex with a person's posterior ): I WAS VERY OFFENDED.

Although, seriously? Would it really have been that difficult to take that word out in the European release? And did the word's inclusion really merit a 12+ label? If that truly was the only reason for it then that is very very sad.

Yeah, "the series went downhill after Sonic 1 and I wonder if even that one was good".

Unleashed was 7+

I just checked and in Germany Unleashed was for 12+.

SRA was 12+ for the PEGI? Lol! In germany it was 6+ oO. I played it in english and didn't notice anything offensive :-/ So, the word bugger can be seen as offensive.. I find so many things out on the internet :o.

Oh yeah, totally agreed. I can see how recent Sonic games are intentionally kiddy but I can also see why they've been getting unusually high age ratings (Though I don't see why SRA got a 12+ for Marine's sole use of the word 'Knackered')I can only hazard a guess that top brass at SEGA may get dissappointed though when a Sonic game goes through game certification and gets a 12+ or 7+ rating in the western world. CERO is a lot more lenient I hear.

But what i'm curious about is does SEGA of Japan share the same "Wants to aim it at kids" stance that SEGA America/Europe does? I suppose that more mature stuff (As in what mature is percieved as in the western world) in Sonic games is fine for Sonic Team Japan to put in because they might be more leninent to this kind of content due to Japanese beliefs about maturity in games but if SEGA Europe really wanted Sonic games to be aimed at youngsters and start getting lower age ratings, surely the're going to be putting them through.......censorship? Or telling Sonic Team to tone it down a bit.

I might be jumping the gun but it is a possibility.

I was surprised that Unleashed got a 7+ age rating in the UK when Dark Gaia has such a gory scene when it trasnforms as well as Dark Moray spurting geysers of green blood when damaged in the Wii version.

Edited by Verte

SRA was 12+ for the PEGI? Lol! In germany it was 6+ oO. I played it in english and didn't notice anything offensive :-/ So, the word bugger can be seen as offensive.. I find so many things out on the internet :o.

51PWWBFbFbL._AA280_.jpg

So it was :o , interesting and yeah the UK are a very sensitive people when it comes to language despite the fact alot of people go about yelling the word fuck at any chance they get :lol:

I dare say this is bordering as getting uncomfortable as politics and religion, and instead of elitist Sonic fans we have Rush Limbuargh and Pat Robertson crying foul over a sincere observation within their communities.

Wasn't the only Sonic game with a 12+ rating Shadow the Hedgehog? Or did Unleashed have one, too? Still, regardless of age ratings, hte games are still more for kids. The people who rate the games just have no idea:D

imarafan: Thanks for clearing things up!B)

English PEGI ratings for fairly recent games are as follows (According to my games boxes)

Shadow the Hedgehog: 12+

SONIC The Hedgehog: 12+

Sonic Rush Adventure: 12+

Sonic and the Black Knight: 12+

Sonic and the Secret Rings: 7+

Sonic Unleashed: 7+ (Both Wii and 360 version)

I think SatBK got a 12+ rating because of Sonic slaying boars and dragons. But he was using self-defence in regards to Boars :huh:, I think it's because you can either defend against them or slay them with Caliburn, hence the rating. As for dragons, well, he was actively seeking them out to slay them so....

Unleashed on the other hand surprises me a bit because of a torture scene and remarkable gore. I guess PEGI doesn't have it priorities entirely straight.

Edited by Verte

On SRA, yes "Bugger" was the cause of the increased PEGI rating. Not sure what occurred but on subsequent reprints its PEGI 3+...

English PEGI ratings for fairly recent games are as follows (According to my games boxes)

Shadow the Hedgehog: 12+

SONIC The Hedgehog: 12+

Sonic Rush Adventure: 12+

Sonic and the Black Knight: 12+

Sonic and the Secret Rings: 7+

Sonic Unleashed: 7+ (Both Wii and 360 version)

Weird.. Here in Germany Sonic 06 and SRA were both 6+, but Unleashed was 12+ :-/. Stupid Germany not accepting PEGI as the only rating system >_>. Seriously, we are the only EU place with their own rating system u.u

Guest Jordan4K6

I'm a modern fan and I love Sonic 06 and I know so many people that are the same.

That Sega guy wrote a awesome statement.

Edited by Jordan4K6
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Weird. The Xbox360 and PS3 got a +12 and the Wii got a +7 in Germany then. The kiddie console, can't fight against that I suppose.

I don't get why these elitists fan want Sonic to be aimed at them. Proper physics and the use of spindash aren't adult concepts, so that's not it. The kiddie appeal is on the funny characters, colourfull and wacky setting and the light storyline, which we've had since the beginning and can't be it either and I dunno why would they want this to change if they are classic fans to begin with. I simply can't get what are they looking for when they say Sonic is mature. The pollution and whatnot but that's not adult either. I'm still baffled at this. Can someone explain it to me? I thought mature content such as guns and love stories were pretty much hated across the fanbase (Shadow/Sonic 06). It's very confusing to understand this supposed "kids not allowed" stance.

Edited by redmenace

I'm actually expecting some purists to surface around here, but I'm not trying to raise an alarm or anything. What I see around the SSMB at least, is people getting along and trying to understand each other. The more hostile remarks come from review sources who aren't going to compromise on Sonic's quality, from outside the proper fandom, or other boards that aren't as neatly kept as this one. If Needlemouse is the game that's gonna mainstream Sonic again, I know there'll be more opinions out there. Anyways, about the audience thing. I know Sega can reach people of all ages, because Sonic's a versatile character. Disney has a wide audience because people watched their movie as kids, and because they're actually entertaining on a basic level, not just for 12 year olds. Sonic can be the same way. Night of the Werehog and Unleashed's great storytelling say so. As long as Sonic can keep his quality up, there should be nothing to whine about.

This is SAD. Am I the only one who grew up with sonic, but likes the new games too? Is it REALLY this bad? Honestly it can't be, if so... Why are the games STILL selling? I can find fun shit in the "horrible" sonic 2k6. -.- I'm just a fucking fan. I like sonic so I buy sonic stuff. I could care fucking less about the so-called "classics" and " 3D " games.. it's NOT THAT SERIOUS. People need to step outside themselfs and see what it really is. And also this thing where only "noobs" can enjoy the new games is bullshit. But again, I'm just a guy who's 27 mind you, played almost every game in the series.... and still having fun with said games. yeah I have my likes and dislikes.... who DOESN'T but I'm not going to yell noon to someone who likes Shadow's game, nor am I going to yell enlist to someone who only likes sonic CD.

It's people on either side of the coin that takes this so seriously that makes me feel bad I'm a fan in the first place. :c Where's the love for simply like and playing sonic, speeding thru levels beating the shit out of eggman. =c

• Thumbs Up 3

^ Nope! your definitely not the only one who grew up with the old games and like some of the new games too. ;)

I also agree with your whole post. It is sad.

Edited by Genesis
  • Thumbs Up 2

Actually, I always thought the guns, cursing, and other examples of "BAD ATTITUDE" were there specifically for the youngest of the Sonic fans- Y'know, kids who think somewhat contrived mild swearing and firearms make you edgy and cool. The adult fans, I always thought, were more comfortable enjoying a lighthearted and upbeat series.

Note that this isn't an attack on modern Sonic- It's specifically an attack on Shadow the Hedgehog in particular. Sonic Unleashed, a more recent game, was back to lighthearted and jovial fare that I, in my humble opinion, feel more fitting for this series. My point being, though, that attempts at making Sonic "mature" seems to have more appeal to the younger fans than the older ones, which I imagine to be the opposite of what was intended in Shadow's marketing.

Then again, there's that group of oldschool fans raised on the cartoons who think the games should be grimdark ala SatAM, so it's not like the older fans are totally outside of this "dark and edgy" demographic, to be fair.

Edited by Dr. Mechano
  • Thumbs Up 1

AAUK does have a really good point, I hate it when people climb onto their high horses and start to 'put down' various fans because they're not deemed worth/right/the same... take your pic or make your own... I've seen one 'fan' actually slag off the Sonic ride in Dubai and almost a global spectrum of fans because it wasn't in America where "The real fans are."

I'm just a Sonic fan, I don't tend to go for all this classic, modern, communist, diet pepsi groupings that people like to bring into things today. It's pretty obvious that reading the entry, everybody knew someone who was the 'bad' or 'naughty' fan who has a go at people for basically not being them. We didn't really need to have some people go to the store and rent their favourite shared brain cell to start with the whole "RAWR RAWR RAWR I'm going to make this remark that makes me sound angry but it actually makes me look like I'm the one AAUK is talking about RAWR!" or "OMG! Someone at Sega said this! Quick let me type this and treat everyone like a fool!" We're smart enough to know what it means and we all know of at least someone who acts like that at times... and sadly most of the time.

You can bash games/like games and still be a ruddy fan, theres not some kind of rule that says "Oh you don't like the 3D games! You must be a traditionalist/Classic fan!" Bugger off! I'll defend Sonic 06 at times, do I think the game is a fine example of gaming lol nope. But theres bit of it I do like, doesn't mean I'm some kind of modern fan or anything else that puts me into one of these groups. Even then, being in a 'group' is not such a bad thing, the problems start when you start bashing other people.

And when you do start bashing other people... the,

Edited by Casanova

*Is late to the party xD*

See this, this is why I hang around here for any Sonic discussion. It's so nice and civil here :3

I... I couldn't help but laugh like an idiot at all the OMG KIDS ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD GAME BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T KIDS BACK IN THE NINETIES, THE ONLY TIME KIDS KNEW WHAT WAS RIGHT. Seriously? I honestly, just don't get it, the level of hypocrisy completely astounds me xD It's a problem that time's passed and the kids the games are aimed at aren't you anymore? Wow O.o

Sonic's got to please the new generation of kids that are the ones buying the games, you'd think people realised that. Just 'cause the games are different to what you liked as a kid, doesn't make the new generation of kids stupid. It's like saying, I dunno, kids are stupid for watching technicolour telly, 'cause black and white was what was around and you watched when you were younger. (Bad example, but I think you understand what I mean?)

Only aimed at elitists btw. They get right on my nerves. Love both classic and modern to pieces, and find the good stuff in virtually anything, me. xD AAUK has the right idea, 's far as I'm concerned, everyone's opinion is worth the same and anyone who reckons only theirs is worth anything, is an ass xD

Edited by Toffkat

I really don't care if they appeal to kids as long as I'm actually playing beyond steering Sonic between boost pads and Johnny Gioeli isn't screaming in my ear. Actually,. it would probably be pretty bad if they tried to make a Sonic game aimed at an older audience, but that can't be used an an excuse for any asinine dialog. Pixar movies appeal to kids, but that doesn't stop anyone from watching them. I also have to wonder where the classic style game = appeals to older fans concept came from.

"Wait.. Is the Sonic starting with Sonic Adventure a different character?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Class hamster dies, teacher gets a new one and doesn't say anything. Just saying.

Elitist fans either need to enjoy the games for what they are, or find themselves another franchise.

OK, I'll go find another franchise composed mainly of high speed platformers where the player character regularly turns into a ball. Oh wait...

I... I couldn't help but laugh like an idiot at all the OMG KIDS ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW WHAT MAKES A GOOD GAME BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T KIDS BACK IN THE NINETIES, THE ONLY TIME KIDS KNEW WHAT WAS RIGHT. Seriously? I honestly, just don't get it, the level of hypocrisy completely astounds me xD It's a problem that time's passed and the kids the games are aimed at aren't you anymore? Wow O.o

Actually, come to think of it... In the 90's, most video games were marketed to kids, they were the primary audience. As a result, there were a lot more great kids games, and this made our standards higher. Nowadays, most games are just mindless beat em ups based on movies.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 2

Right, I'm a little late in replying to this. I actually saw this when it was first posted, but didn't have time to write a reply.

Anyway, I have agree with everything AAUK said, and it's nice to see a SEGA employee try to stop elitism. Honestly, it's annoying seeing classic elitists say crap like "Lol, ur opinion is rong cuz you like *insert modern game here*". These elitists are acting less mature than the people they're making fun of, since they can't even seem to find the difference between fact and opinion. Not to metion all this elitism might actually [ironically] discourage SEGA from making another Classic styled game. Why can't we all just accept eachother's opinions instead of acting like a bunch of immature brats?

I swear, sometimes it just doesn't seem worth being a Sonic fan. Hell, you know what? This isn't even about Sonic any more. For all intents and purposes, this argument shouldn't even involve the series anymore. This is about human pride and individual perspective more than anything else. This sort of mess is exactly the sort of mindset that's led to prejudice, marginalization and even genocide throughout history, so what does it say about us as humans that we judge the worth of another person and his or her voice over a fucking video game franchise? Everyone has the right to be passionate about their interests, no matter what they may entail, but regardless of whether or not these interests continue to deliver, is it worth this sense of entitlement? Like what you like, hate what you hate, but you're sharing this planet with over six billion other people who may agree, disagree or be indifferent altogether, and none of them are a blue hedgehog, so stop making a fictional character out to be worth more than human beings. You can talk all you want about this series, where you think it should go or what should be done to fix it, but marginalizing, and especially ignoring, a group of people isn't going to fix anything. In fact, that will only make things worse.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's offensive in the UK because it means to have sex with a person's posterior ): I WAS VERY OFFENDED.

Although, seriously? Would it really have been that difficult to take that word out in the European release? And did the word's inclusion really merit a 12+ label? If that truly was the only reason for it then that is very very sad.

I'd rather surprised, and a little amused, that Marine is apparently kinkier in the eyes of the censors than Rouge is.