Awoo.

What Will You Do if Needlemouse Is Terrible?

Legendary Emerald

Re Topic:

Master plan remains unchanged. I can only benefit from how events have gone thus far.

Edited by Phos

If it 'sucks' I'll probably enjoy it anyway.

I think the only legitimately 'bad' Sonic games that have come out are Sonic Heroes and Sonic 06. I'm still able to enjoy Sonic 06 quite a bit because I can see its potential and what it does right. If that game just had a few months of bug testing under it, it'd honestly be fantastic and we'd have the Super Sonic in levels that people have been wanting for more than a decade now. Shadow the Hedgehog was a perfectly fine game to me. No idea why it gets so much hate (unless you were playing it on the PS2 with its horrible framerate). Unleashed? I probably like it just as much if not more than Sonic Adventure 2.

I don't have particularly high hopes for Needlemouse just yet. Mainly because I haven't seen it at all so I don't have anything to affirm that I should have high hopes for it. Until then I'm neutral to it and honestly.. I think I still might be when I do see it.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

In remembering that =SSMB= is not an imageboard, here's some text on that point:

Much as I too would enjoy the ability to point at a bad Needlemouse and dryly remark "STFU, nostalgiafags", it simply won't work because, like Freudian psychology, their crackpot theories about the glorious past are non-falsifiable.

I guarantee that if Needlemouse is bad, the retro faction will cite that the reason it's bad is because the game physics aren't coded with MegaDrive blast processing. Or the HUD is laid out slightly differently, which "breaks the aesthetic". Or there's one line of dialogue, which ruins it forever.

But the reason will never be that they were wrong and 2D isn't the only possible salvation.

LOL DOGMATISM

This. If it "fails", this will happen. Mark. His. Words.

I'll simply add it to the long list of sucky "Sonic only" games, tell the supporters of such to STFU, and then await the next game that has an expanded cast.
Black Knight???

also: I'll go back to doing what i always do- getting drunk and ranting about the good old days o' sonic on message boards

This. If it "fails", this will happen. Mark. His. Words.

well dur, if the game sucks obviously they couldn't nail the old school formula.

Yeah, and that's kind of the point. It's not that I want the classic formula itself to fail, but I want these people to realize it's not always successful, that it's not a guarantee of quality, that simply being "classic Sonic" doesn't make the game good. The series has many problems, and simply shouting "classic Sonic" will not fix them.
Won't prove that old sonic sucks, all it does is further proove that new sonic sucks. :P
  • Thumbs Up 3

well dur, if the game sucks obviously they couldn't nail the old school formula.

Did you see it?! Did you all expletive see it?!

It's not "Oh, OK, the Classic formula doesn't work in the year 2010 now that technology and expectations have moved on 19 years, I'm sorry, we were wrong".

No, instead the retro-lobby refrain is "DEY DIDN'T DO KLASSIC FORMULA RITE!1! :o "

And the game isn't even sodding OUT yet.

Q.E.D.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I've set the bar pretty high here, because while I'm open to most things Sonic, I don't like messing with a classic. This could go down a few ways -

If the game is well received by me, but a failure with critics I'll just be like, "Wtf" and react like I have in the past to this. Ignoring reviews.

If the game is just good enough to be average, I will be disappoint. It'll go into a category of mine that includes Heroes and the Advance games. If I think it's nothing special and by some strange turn of events the reviewers think it's hot stuff like Unleashed Wii, I'll be perplexed and post on why the game is bad.

If the game isn't classic but it's still cool, I'll take the same attitude as the Rush games and enjoy the hell out of it anyways.

If the game truly sucks, I'll be like "BAWWW" and recover by playing SASR. Then anyone trying to blame it on the classic formula will get a free punch in the throat.

If the game is everything I expect and totally awesome, I'll find out which demon Sonic Team sold their souls to, and sacrifice a small goat to it.

It's not "Oh, OK, the Classic formula doesn't work in the year 2010 now that technology and expectations have moved on 19 years, I'm sorry, we were wrong".

No, instead the retro-lobby refrain is "DEY DIDN'T DO KLASSIC FORMULA RITE!1! :o "

Q.E.D.

Worked for Megaman 9, worked for Street Fighter 4

• Thumbs Up 1

Worked for Megaman 9, worked for Street Fighter 4

YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES ME STRONGER

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I would be slight disappointed as well be pessimistic about the future of both 2d and 3d games. For if they are so incompetent that they can no longer copy a formula that already spelled out right in front of them, then what hope do we have that they can deliver a new 3d gameplay formula that has comparable quality to the classics?

Edited by Burning Neoxor

To be fair, the style doesn't suddenly become bad once a certain amount of time has passed. The Genesis Sonic games are still damn good games, and a game done to the exact same quality with the exact same style would (predictably enough) be exactly as good. Like remz said, Megaman 9.

I just want to chip away at the blind worship and unyielding devotion to it, not get rid of it completely.

YOUR RESISTANCE ONLY MAKES ME STRONGER
Likewise.
^AKA why we have this problem in the first place.

Well, while I think Sonic's in dire need of a great string of games to return him to his former glory, I personally think a few of his main games have been.... above average, at least. I liked Secret Rings quite a lot, though I did have a goodly amount of gripes with it. And I also had a blast with Sonic Unleashed, but I also had some major problems with it (more so the Wii version). Plus, in my honest opinion, pretty much every Sonic handheld released in the last 10 years, sans the absolutely abominable Sonic 1 GBA remake, has pretty much been gold. So if Needlemouse is terrible, I'll probably just move right along and play the games I enjoy.

But right now, looking at where it's going, I hardly doubt that'll be the case. Hell, a teaser trailer and a single piece of enemy art has been released, and people already are hyping it more than New Super Mario Bros Wii when it was first announced. Goes to show plenty of people, even those who bashed Sonic to death, still have some hedgehog love left for the dude with 'tude.

In fact, if Needlemouse is truly a continuation of the Sonic games of old, the only ways I can see Sonic Team messing this up is if it's glitch-ridden, has 5 minutes cutscenes every 5 minutes that you can't skip, is as slow as Sonic Labyrinth, or contains a mini-game where Sonic has make-out with a princess while fishing for treasure.

...with fangs.

Edited by EXshad

Wait, some of you WANT it to suck just to rub it in to classic fans? Fuck. That's kinda childish. I'm pretty sure the classic fans wish every time a new 3D game is announced for it to be great, classic style or not.

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wait, some of you WANT it to suck just to rub it in to classic fans? Fuck. That's kinda childish. I'm pretty sure the classic fans wish every time a new 3D game is announced for it to be great, classic style or not.

Yup, this community's not even about the games anymore, just US vs THEM.

fuuu what i would do for a good game

I've played so many shitty Sonic games that I probably would just wind up not caring and have it become another joke between my friends and I. Although, after Unleash's success (Well, I enjoyed it quite a bit personally) I'd be a little upset to have to delve into another shit title again.

Hm, I guess I'd buy the game regardless, enjoy the game's good points, and wait for the next new game to be announced so all the fun can start up again. =p

Still, if the game does turn out to be bad and becomes "Sonic'10", people will be talking about it for ages.

Q.E.D.

Wait, who are the intolerable jerks here?

Edit: whoops, thought this was the "Fans Overreact to SEGA Employee's Statement. Again" thread. It's getting hard to tell the difference.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it was bad I would be sad, as it's a game I'm looking forwards to and would like it to be good (shocking!)

Since I haven't really gotten super hyped about Sonic games lately, if this one was bad it wouldn't exactly make me more pumped for future titles...

That being said if at any point in time a good Sonic game is released I'm probably going to play it regardless of any past game quality....because good games are fun to play

It will not matter if Project Needlemouse fails, and I will not care.

Honestly, if the Sonic series was going to die, then it would've died from Sonic 06, which they even named Sonic the Hedgehog, which is even worse than having Needlemouse be named "Sonic 4". All these things about "this is Sega's last chance to keep Sonic alive!" means nothing, it's happened too many times before to truly mean anything.

If Needlemouse sucks, I'll just say "oh well" and await the next game. That is what I, personally, will do. Meanwhile, everyone online will bitch and complain until a new game is announced, and at that point they'll be sucked back into the Sonic Cycle.

It's not hard to predict what will happen. The situation I described above is exactly what will happen if Needlemouse is bad.

It will not matter if Project Needlemouse fails, and I will not care.

Honestly, if the Sonic series was going to die, then it would've died from Sonic 06, which they even named Sonic the Hedgehog, which is even worse than having Needlemouse be named "Sonic 4". All these things about "this is Sega's last chance to keep Sonic alive!" means nothing, it's happened too many times before to truly mean anything.

If Needlemouse sucks, I'll just say "oh well" and await the next game. That is what I, personally, will do. Meanwhile, everyone online will bitch and complain until a new game is announced, and at that point they'll be sucked back into the Sonic Cycle.

It's not hard to predict what will happen. The situation I described above is exactly what will happen if Needlemouse is bad.

The difference is this is the big group SEGA has NOT catered to, so if this fails a lot of people will probably just give up.

I'm going to curl up in a fetal position while watching The Quest for Tails whilst practicing rampant acts of fellatio upon my stuffed Shadow plushie.

No, but really, I don't care.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll sit in the back and laugh along with diogenes and chaossupremsonic, because, honestly it will by quite hilarious to watch as all the elitists complain about everything that made not and I quote, "CLASSIC SAWWNIC RAWR"

And if it is good seemingly only to mua, then I'll enjoy it no matter what anyone says.

P.S. would you like popcorn salted with elitist TEARS?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1