Awoo.

What Will You Do if Needlemouse Is Terrible?

Legendary Emerald

But they did. Like.. a little over a year ago.

:(

Except, Unleahsed sucked, IMO, and I think me and other people have made extensive arguments as to why it sucks, with indisputable facts, no less (we even had to resort to SCIENCE!). Unfortunately, most of the people who participate in these arguments are somehow incapable of accepting facts and tend to dismiss them without any proper reason as to why. You know who you are.

Of course, I'd rather not start yet another argument on the subject, so I'll leave it at that.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 3

with indisputable facts, no less (we even had to resort to SCIENCE!).

I dismantled that indisputable science. Stop bringing it up (if your talking about the reaction time gig, otherwise my bad)

I just noticed the ridiculous levels pessimism this topic evokes. I think I need to revive that ancient pessimism/optimism topic from a while back.

What happens if it is actually good?

*head explodes*

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dismantled that indisputable science. Stop bringing it up (if your talking about the reaction time gig, otherwise my bad)

The SCIENCE! bit, I was indeed refering to Phos' experiment. But there's just so much bad design in Unleashed that makes me wonder how people could possibly enjoy it unless they memorised the levels perfectly. Your mileage may vary, of course, but it baffles me.

What happens if it is actually good?

*head explodes*

Then there'll be the inevitable Fan Dumb cry of "SAWNIK ONLY WORKS IN 2D!!!!!111" from both idiot fans and some of the press.

In other words, even if Needlemouse was good (which I honestly have a feeling it won't happen), it's still a potential lose/lose situation. Emphasis on POTENTIAL. It could work out a lot better than that.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Thumbs Up 1

The SCIENCE! bit, I was indeed refering to Phos' experiment. But there's just so much bad design in Unleashed that makes me wonder how people could possibly enjoy it unless they memorised the levels perfectly.

Yeah, I scrapped that experiment, although Phos could revive it if he wanted to do some more leg-work regarding data collection.

And I know all too well that your distaste for Unleashed rivals my own distaste for Black Knight (no its not because of the sword :lol:) so I know where you are coming from there.

Still, at least the majority of the public had nice things to say of the day stages, which can only be considered a positive thing after the epic 06 faceplant.

Then there'll be the inevitable Fan Dumb cry of "SAWNIK ONLY WORKS IN 2D!!!!!111" from both idiot fans and some of the press.

In other words, even if Needlemouse was good (which I honestly have a feeling won't happen), it's still a potential lose/lose situation.

Guh, well put.

Which is why I pray that Needlemouse is its own thing and not in conflict with the "main tittles". If Sega just wants to release them on PSN every now and then, than we can avoid most of the negative impacts of that lose/lose. The main games would still get slammed by comparison, but we live with that now, amirite?

*head explodes for a second time*

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I scrapped that experiment, although Phos could revive it if he wanted to do some more leg-work regarding data collection.

It indicated that in the best case, Unleashed requires you to be operating at the threshold of your reaction time, but given the test's nature, I believe their figure to be closer to a lower bound for reaction time, and that's assuming ideal circumstances, not the motion blurred 30 fps (or worse) presented by Unleashed. This suggests that playing through the levels smoothly at high speed requires it to be memorized.

Also, a bit pertaining to Black Knight, I'm've heard that Yuji Naka was opposed to Sonic using a weapon. I'm beginning to think that everyone still at Sega secretly hated him.

If this turns out to be good, I'd hope they use that experience to make a 3D game that you actually play,

would it really be fan dumb at this point.? ;P
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Sonic Adventure sort of worked.

If Needlemouse sucks, then I'll be disappointed, though whether it's good or bad there will be fan dumb all over the damn place.

I'm convinced Sonic will never be as big as he was back in the 90s, as he's not only not new, but more important people are so divided on what works both in and out the fanbase, so there won't be very many agreements.

I reckon it'll be good, but too much of a rehash and not enough it's own game.

Edited by Semi-colon e

The only recent Sonic game that I didn't like was Shadow the Hedgehog, so I'll be disappointed if they do worse than that. And if it's a bad game, I'll just stop playing it and do something else. I don't have time to come on random Sonic forums and constantly rant like I see everywhere and use some shakey points to try to prove I am right (like SCIENCE OMG!!! sorry but I find this ridiculous for a videogame ^^)

I'm optimist, that's all :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, a bit pertaining to Black Knight, I'm've heard that Yuji Naka was opposed to Sonic using a weapon. I'm beginning to think that everyone still at Sega secretly hated him.

My understanding was that Naoto Ohshima left embittered after SA1 because he was opposed to Sonic operating in the human world and spewing dialogue like a lexical garden hose, whereas Naka was all for it. So what goes around comes around?

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

In other words, even if Needlemouse was good (which I honestly have a feeling it won't happen), it's still a potential lose/lose situation. Emphasis on POTENTIAL. It could work out a lot better than that.

This is so true, and that's the reason why I am more worried about this game being good, if it is bad, it's just going to be "another" dissapointment (this doesn't represent my opinion about the last games), but if this turns out to be good...

zomg_drama.jpg

My understanding was that Naoto Ohshima left embittered after SA1 because he was opposed to Sonic operating in the human world and spewing dialogue like a lexical garden hose

He never said that.

It won't be lose lose, because if it's good then people will be happy, and hopefully more games like it will be made, that's a win in my book.

It won't be lose lose, because if it's good then people will be happy, and hopefully more games like it will be made, that's a win in my book.

What he said. Needlemouse might be a lose-lose among the fanbase (and honestly what isn't at this point?), but it won't be a loss to people who like fun games.

Anyways, I sincerely doubt Needlemouse will be terrible as it's avoiding all the usual things that make Sonic games terrible (character crap, filler gameplay, rushing, etc.). I suppose they could still mess up the physics so it plays like Sonic Advance 3, but that's about it.

But even if that happens, the critics will still love it.

Anyways, if I don't find Needlemouse fun, I'll play Sonic games that are fun (S3&K, Rush, Unleashed) and then go about my business.

If Needlemouse is terrible I'll go back to my default stance of being hopeful that one day they'll manage to get it right and recapture what made the original four games so timelessly great... while simultaneously wishing that Sega would just give up the ghost and hand Sonic over to Nintendo; one of very few companies currently around which employs people who really understand what makes a good platformer.

Nothing at all.

To be honest, I'm quite apathetic toward this game.

Mostly because I don't know anything about it and its key factors don't interest me much. ^^;

I should be able to formulate a proper opinion in due time.

... And what's with these negative topics popping up? This is rather depressing.

Edited by FlameStream

He never said that.

It's know that he left Sonic Team due to creative differences, and those changes are the most contrary to his style.

Personally I won't really care one way or the other. Sonic's still a cool character even if the game's not ground breaking I'll still likely check it out. I just won't be likely to rush out and buy it the day it comes out tis all. B)

I dont really have high hopes for this game anyway. So if it is bad then I wont be dissapointed. I just hope that it is not like Sonic 1. But I will just have to wait and see, before I can give a full verdict.

HA.

Ye shall reap what ye have sown, oldfags.

Watch, as in 2010, SEGA actually reaches back in time and manages to taint even the past with their ham-fisted misunderstandings of how to make good games, destroying even your happy memories of decades past by associating them with the taint of modern-day suckyness.

MARK MY WORDS.

This. Keep in mind that this is (presumably) being made by the modern day Sonic Team, people. Claims that it's Sonic going "BAK TO HIS ROOTZ!!1" isn't really going to change that.

That being said, I'll probably play and enjoy Project Needlemouse as thoroughly as I usually do when a new Sonic game is released - I'll compulsively play it for months on end until the next game comes out.

• Bad Quality Post 1

I will keep with my life and wait for the next game, seriously, it's not like it's the first time we are (hypotetically) going to be disapointed so I don't see how this should surprise me or be shocked or angry at this hypotetical failure =/.

This. then I will steal my uncle's 360 to hook it up to my internet so I can play it whenever I want to.

Edited by JTW

This.

It'd be appreciated if you could at least write a little more other than quoting others and saying "this".

They've really put all the chips on the table with this one.

After years of promises of root returning and then falling flat with a lot of old school gamers we're delighted to see they're on the right track by offering Sonic as the only playable character and hinting with the beautiful (wipes tear from eye) classic badniks.

If they get it right (depending on the individuals own tastes) Sonic's back everyone! Future games can look at the examples set from it and work up from there.

If they fail.. I'm afraid that's pretty much it.. things wont get better nor worse. It could not appeal to me at all due to my age now, my lack of time for proper gaming .. or it could just be terrible. I've never been one to say the cliché "This is Sonic's last chance" but if they fail to recapture the magic which was made back in 1991 and bring it back, then it unfortunately is.

Take as long as you need Sega, repair the damage thats been made and bring my hero back to me :)